OpenMarket Software Development Engineer Reviews

Updated 28 Sep 2019

4.7
OpenMarket CEO Jonathan Morgan
Jonathan Morgan

"Good work life balance!"

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive Salary, good work life balance, good culture

Cons

Dealing with parent company is annoying at times. Would like stock options and better bonus structure.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a company where you are owner of a product from beginning to end, you and your team take all the decision related to your product, you are able to decide if you want to use a new technology or change something you don't like or even make a new application from scratch. I do think here you can have all the advantages of a big company of software (since Amdocs owns Open Market) like Google or Microsoft, where you get paid well, you manage your times, and work in really interesting projects. But also having the advantages of being a small company as Open Market is, with small and collaborative teams, a great community and great people to work with, only the best of the best.

Cons

Since Open Market is owned by Amdocs, there is some bureaucracy here and there, and also you will need to find where to park since there is no parking lot for all the employees

"Great for newcomers"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of legacy code needs to be rethinked giving a great opportunity to improve professionally. Local Management at México seems to understand work/life balance of their employees without being too soft. Recognition of employees extra efforts put in order to accomplish the goals when required. Diverse activities to perform outside work hours enabled by OpenMarket itself to keep every employee in the office in touch. Amdocs gives economical/future certainty for the company.

Cons

Morale outside México seems to be down, and wanting it or not, that gives some uncertainty feels about the upper management. Amdocs is a slight obstacle due small company values differences but nothing to worry about, really Some projects seems to be out of direction or without much purpose . Foreign development teams seem to be disconnected from one another Office shared with Amdocs and not owned by them either, so location could be better.

OpenMarket Response

CEO

I like reading reviews like yours. You seem to have a great sense of what you like about OpenMarket but also understand that there are always opportunities for improvement. For instance, I am glad to hear you have ample opportunity for professional development and that you have a manager who fosters a great work/life balance. We’ve put a lot of effort in to manager and career development training over the past couple of years and it sounds like it’s been paying off. On the other hand, I hear what you’re saying about morale in other offices. I can assure you that this is something both myself and the senior leadership team spend a lot of timethinking about. You should know I am super conscious of how it feels to be in a remote office as I was based in our Australia office for many years. That being said, I’d love to hear your thoughts on how we might address these issues. Please reach out to me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com to find a time to connect.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for less than a year

Pros

OpenMarket is a great company driven by its core values. Teamwork is really a part of organizational culture, everyone works as a team and the employees here are very talented and highly skilled. I never thought being a Java Developer could be so much fun.

Cons

Guadalajara offices could be better, especially because we depend a lot on Amdocs in that regard.

Continue reading

"Respect for every individual is what this place is all about."

4.0
    Former Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

OpenMarket keeps a very strong focus on respect for every individual. This is reflected in respecting everyone's opinion, jealously protecting your not-at-work time, a very relaxed policy on working from home or remotely, and in their benefits (PTO and sick time combine to nearly 40 days). If you're looking for a place with a work-life balance that leans heavily toward the 'life' side you should consider OpenMarket. Also, much of the leadership has a strong technical background and most used to be devs. I don't think I need to explain to any other engineers why that is awesome.

Cons

Expect a slower paced environment, if you're looking for 'Amazon-light' this is not the ideal spot for you. Politics can also be a bit tricky.

Continue reading

"The company treats you really well."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Colleagues are very open, co-operative, helpful and intelligent. * Great balance between life and work. * Lots of interesting projects and technical freedom. * Great company outings like Go-Kart Racing and Volleyball. * Free bagels every Friday, free pizza once a month, and free cereal everyday. * Freedom to work from home when necessary. * Minimal politics.

Cons

I really don't have any cons for this job. This is the best job I have ever had and they treat me very well.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews