OpenMarket Employee Reviews about "parent company"

Updated 28 Sep 2019

3.8
OpenMarket CEO Jonathan Morgan
Jonathan Morgan
Pros
Cons
  • "Most technical problems had to go through a parent company troubleshooting ticket which was extremely cumbersome(in 10 reviews)

• "Senior management push out a completely new initiative every few months without completing the initial one(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "parent company"

Return to all Reviews

"Good work life balance!"

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive Salary, good work life balance, good culture

Cons

Dealing with parent company is annoying at times. Would like stock options and better bonus structure.

"Best work experience of my career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I’ve been with OpenMarket for more than five years, and can say without hesitation that it has been the most rewarding professional experience of my life. At OpenMarket I’ve been able to take ownership of company-wide projects and processes, hire and grow a global team, and generally be creative in a way I’d never be able to at bigger organization. But the best thing about OpenMarket by far is the people – they’re genuine, passionate about technology, supportive and honestly, just fun and funny. I actually look forward to going to meetings at OpenMarket because I always end up having real, spirited conversation, and laughing a lot – even with the CEO! – and I can’t say that’s ever been the case for me before. Another major perk of OpenMarket is it’s size -it’s big enough that we have good resources, like awesome benefits and ability to travel, but small enough that you can still make a major, visible impact with minimal red tape. The last major aspect of OpenMarket I can’t go without mentioning is our efforts to bolster diversity and inclusion. We have made huge strides bringing more women into the organization, especially in the tech space. Though there is definitely still room to grow from a diversity and inclusion perspective, as a woman I can say I personally feel the efforts around inclusivity paying off on a daily basis.

Cons

There are some downsides to OpenMarket of course, like a big parent company that is incredibly resistant to change and has cumbersome systems and processes that don't always sync with common sense.

August 19, 2019

I was delighted to read this. Every company comes with its own set of challenges – but through listening and action we can help OpenMarket, and its staff, reach their true potential. Jonathan Morgan, CEO, OpenMarket

"Rudderless and Struggling Company"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

1. Competitive salary 2. Smart middle management 3. Comfortable low stress office environment 4. Global presence 5. Great benefits.

Cons

1. Leadership doesn’t listen to middle management’s ideas. This is unfortunate especially if middle mgmt are smarter than the leaders. If you disagree with leaders you will be tagged as an employee causing friction. 2. Each month many people were quitting, getting fired or just existing being dissatisfied and complacent with their jobs. 3. Ineffective communication among global matrix organization. 4. Onboarding was the worst experience I’ve ever had. Most technical problems had to go through a parent company troubleshooting ticket which was extremely cumbersome. Methods and technical tools across regional offices are not in sync. 5. No clear product, service, value proposition, or direction of purpose

August 19, 2019

I agree that that there are some fantastic benefits to working at OpenMarket. We are responding to a changing market with an exciting new proposition and a clear strategy that our whole global team is working hard to deliver. The leadership team and I remain committed to ensuring that everyone has an open forum to discuss, debate and offer feedback every day. Jonathan Morgan, CEO, OpenMarket

"Overall, a great environment to work in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly & welcoming culture - Approachable SLT - Fair salary - Great benefits package - Good career prospects

Cons

- The hours can be long (9 hour days are the standard requirement) - The commute can be an issue (London office) as the office is not central and the train lines servicing the station aren't the most reliable - IT & systems onboarding is painful because of the crossover with Amdocs (parent company) & OpenMarket systems. There isn't really a clear process to follow, and everybody seems to have issues for the first few weeks at least. This is more of a reflection on Amdocs than OpenMarket though - There isn't an official flexible working policy (and the IT issues make this more challenging too)

May 30, 2019CEO

Thank you for your review. You’re obviously someone with a balanced perspective who knows there are pros and cons to everyone’s work situation. Overall though, it sounds like you’re quite pleased with the major aspects of your role - senior leadership, career prospects, our friendly culture. Those are the big things that I care deeply about myself. That being said, I’ve noted your comments regarding flexible work hours and issues with IT and onboarding and I plan to take them up with the relevant people. Thank you for bringing these issues to light and allowing us the valuable opportunity to continue to learn and grow along with our employees. As you continue to have insights, be all means tell me about them! Email me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com whenever you want to set up a time to connect.

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

OpenMarket takes care of all employees and makes sure everyone is happy with their job and feels valued. The company provides good work-life balance allowing flexible work schedules when needed.

Cons

As a division of Amdocs, it can sometimes feel like we are not part of our parent company.

"A good place to work"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A medium sized company with the benefits of being owned by a much larger company. The larger backing gives stability, the smaller company gives more flexibility and room for innovation. Global presence often with options to travel, although not required. Good tech leadership at a high level. Most offices have room to grow, especially in the development and support org. Visible continuing investment in tech - good workstations, good servers, etc. Lots of open source software.

Cons

Great senior tech leadership, but some struggles with middle management - nothing horrible but not a lot of motivation or coordination, tend to look up at senior management and not so much with their reports. A little slow in many areas to innovate and try/adapt new technologies. Occasional pains with integrations with parent company for corporate issues but nothing unbearable.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent culture. I feel respected by my peers and management. There is certainly an emphasis on work/life balance here. Employees are happy, and that's proven by the fact that many have been here over 5 years.

Cons

The parent company can be a burden at times. A lot of nonsensical policies and unnecessary bureaucracy.

8. "Software engineer"

I worked at OpenMarket

Pros

Working at Open market had been a wonderful experience for me to improve my java and related technology development skills. It had been a unique experience of working with a team where most of the members were physically located in Seattle, but were always available and accessible instantly via a 24/7 connected virtual meeting using google hangouts. It was a privilege working with a team of talented developers, managers, quality engineers that gave several opportunities to learn and step up from where I started off. I was happy to have worked under a manager who's technically skilled and enjoyed being hands-on code. In addition, he was an excellent human being with great understanding the needs and priorities of his team members and gave flexibility with working hour time frames or remote working as needed. I was happy with the benefits provided for full-time employees either directly from open market or via the parent company Amdocs, inc. Finally, a great place for work/life balance.

Cons

A bigger software development team in the Detroit office would have been encouraging.

"Great software company"

5.0

I have been working at OpenMarket

Pros

OpenMarket is a money spinner for its parent company, Amdocs. It's consistently profitable, and as such is given a lot of autonomy. Combined with a strong CEO who has a good handle on national operations and international integration, it makes OpenMarket's London office a great place to work, and strikes a superb balance between using fresh technology and running reliable customer-facing services. The culture is laid-back but very productive, thanks to a sensible system of integration between the technical and account teams, and a shallow technical reporting structure with lots of opportunities to feed back to your line manager. It has a great technical culture and is flexible with employees trying to strike a good work/life balance.

Cons

The management likes to look before it leaps, so it can be a little slow to take opportunities, and rarely tries to create business proactively. I also felt I was a little underpaid, and it was hard to communicate that effectively.

10. "Great small technology company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Small company with a friendly working environment, great technology and a chance to see your work in the pubic eye. Corporate parent company provide great stability and security.

Cons

Steady growth limits chances for career progression within the company

Found 13 reviews