OpenMarket Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 8 Sep 2019

4.5
OpenMarket CEO Silvio Kutic
Silvio Kutic
1 Rating
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is really good, self-motivating work environment(in 26 reviews)

• "OpenMarket is a great place to work(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Continue to work with parent company to optimize processes (this is getting better)(in 14 reviews)

• "Senior management push out a completely new initiative every few months without completing the initial one(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Getting better

8 Sep 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good overall culture, friendly and talented group of people. If you are willing to bend your back and take the initiative, you will find tons of opportunities for your professional growth. Management is good at identifying talent and providing carrier growth opportunities. Good work life balance. Flexible work from home policy. Generous PTO and sick day policy. Good medical plan. Good transportation benefits. Free food and other fringe benefits.

Cons

Recent relocation to Queen Anne made commute from South and East side little inconvenient. Recent voluntary attrition especially in the senior management was mostly filled with internal junior talent, though it is a good strategy to encourage and promote the internal talent, since it was done in a short time at a large scale, the short comings from inexperience are felt at layman level.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0

On its last legs

8 May 2019 - Software Developer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

High level of autonomy on how you work. Great for a first job in London before you move onto a better place.

Cons

Salaries are far below market rate with management refusing to acknowledge this as the case stating that they've done market research. Senior management push out a completely new initiative every few months without completing the initial one. There was talk of getting new starters to write positive reviews online in a recruitment meeting. Refusal to acknowledge the fact that we've lost 60-70% of our UK engineering department. This coincided with zero recruitment to engineering for a 15 month period. Senior management are happy to outsource projects instead of rehiring developers in the current office. Almost no career prospects as higher level positions are closed off for more outsourcing. An almost empty office as most seats are now vacant and unlikely to be filled.

16 people found this review helpful

OpenMarket Response

CEO

Thanks for review. I genuinely appreciate getting feedback of all types – it’s impossible to improve without it. Please reach out to me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com if you’d like to discuss further.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Too much hierarchy and office politics

29 Jul 2019 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly and supportive colleagues & reasonable middle management

Cons

Looking at the reviews, I expect the majority of the positive comments come from the management, their friends and family members as many OM employees are not satisfied with the company. I really enjoyed working at OpenMarket as my colleagues were friendly and supportive, unfortunately, I cannot say the same about my manager who seemed to be scared of expressing any form of criticism against the leadership. I completely lost respect towards them as they were timid and unable to defend their own team. Many senior managers seem to be indecisive and lack industry experience, which is reflected in their poor decision making. Majority of them are located in Seattle and are completely out of touch with the situation in Pune, Guadaralaja and London. Furthermore, there is a dangerous trend among the leadership team to employ their ex-colleagues/friends who seem equally incompetent. The company puts an emphasis on diversity, however, the same individuals keep being promoted, some of them got promoted 2-3 times in a year and the majority of them were men. Unfortunately, women don’t get much recognition at OM, especially those who are vocal and dare to criticise the leadership. I also don’t see much diversity across the leadership team- the majority of them are white Americans. Although one of the core values of OpenMakret is ‘be authentic’, not many managers are living up to this standard. The CEO and the management surround themselves with Yes-men only and any form of criticism sooner or later will be punished. ‘Value people’ is another questionable core value of OpenMarket- people should be valued in various ways, paying for drinks and pizza once per month is not enough. At OpenMarket many employees are underpaid for the amount of work they do. The most ‘lucky’ individuals end up doing a job of 2-3 people. The work culture leaking from the senior management is quite toxic, there is lots of backstabbing and politics that ‘spill’ over the middle managers and regular employees, even those in technical roles. The old-fashioned and not fit for purpose processes and systems may hinder your efficiency. If your laptop doesn’t function properly, it takes ages to get a new one. Moreover, HR, payroll and recruitment processes are very time-consuming and complicated as a result finalising employee’s promotions might take months. If you have any pay-related issues you may end up emailing multiple individuals located in various locations before anyone solves your problem as the HR/Payroll departments are redistributed across the globe. There is a non-existent budget for personal development, only a few of my colleagues were able to attend some conferences last year, most of us couldn’t due to a very tight budget. Nevertheless, some teams (Sales, Marketing) seem to have enough money to attend fancy events. The attrition rate is rocketing high and I have never seen in my whole career so many colleagues departing within such a short space of time. HR claims that this is normal and such an attrition level is an industry-standard. To make it worse, many of those who have left were never replaced. The recruitment team doesn’t employ new people, they just fill the gaps.

14 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Current Employee

Company has gone downhill in the last year due to senior management

9 Nov 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

People. Many of these people where here with old management team. A lot of great people.

Cons

Senior management can’t figure out what to do. Company began descent about a year ago after old management left. Seemed like they were pushed out. Then others followed on the average 1.5 people per month leave. All of them have been with the company for a long time and very knowledgeable. Once a company with no politics now is plagued with politics.

19 people found this review helpful

OpenMarket Response

CEO

Thank you for your review. We can’t improve as an organization unless we listen to all points of view. I’m sorry to hear you are unhappy with some of the changes in leadership over the past year. As we continue to grow and evolve as an organization it’s inevitable that some people will like the changes we make and others won’t be as excited about them. But, either way, I want to hear from you and make sure we’re addressing your concerns. Please email me directly at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com to set up a time for us to connect in person. I’m confident that with smart, well-meaning people we can find our way through some of these transitions.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

A good place to work

3 Dec 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

A medium sized company with the benefits of being owned by a much larger company. The larger backing gives stability, the smaller company gives more flexibility and room for innovation. Global presence often with options to travel, although not required. Good tech leadership at a high level. Most offices have room to grow, especially in the development and support org. Visible continuing investment in tech - good workstations, good servers, etc. Lots of open source software.

Cons

Great senior tech leadership, but some struggles with middle management - nothing horrible but not a lot of motivation or coordination, tend to look up at senior management and not so much with their reports. A little slow in many areas to innovate and try/adapt new technologies. Occasional pains with integrations with parent company for corporate issues but nothing unbearable.

4 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good Workplace, Some Challenges

13 Dec 2015 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

OpenMarket is reasonably small, with just less then 200 people in total. The two main offices (Seattle and London) have about 80 people each, and the rest are split across Southfield (Michigan, India), Pune (India) and Sydney (Australia). Teams tend to be small (up to about seven people) and are encouraged to work in an agile fashion, but otherwise left to figure out what suits them best. Team managers are very supportive and are largely ex-developers themselves, so they understand the importance of doing things right the first time. The London office is open-plan, with only a couple of senior people shut away in their own offices. The management structure is pretty shallow (only 4 or 5 levels between ordinary developers and the General Manager). The General Manager is very enthusiastic about employee development and has invested in careers and Myers-Briggs training for all employees (if you're into that sort of thing). Individual developers are encouraged to give talks on technologies they like, and funding is available for training in things like Kanban. There's a policy of flexitime, which means you can (within reason) pick the hours that suit you. You can also leave early one day and make it up by staying late another day, which can be invaluable if you have other commitments outside of work. People are friendly and generally want to help each other. There's a strong culture of pub lunches and after-work drinks, with a variety of good (if pricey) local venues to choose from. Each team is given an annual social budget which they can spend on doing something fun together. There are also some fun benefits such as half-price membership at the Virgin Active gym across the road.

Cons

OpenMarket is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Amdocs. We're largely left alone as long as we stay profitable, so the main impacts on day-to-day working are: the annoying and mostly irrelevant HR spam (which many people just filter in Outlook); the Work Hours system (which we're working hard on automating); and the painful expenses system. The company still has some baggage from its startup days (when making the sale was more important than coding standards!), and pretty much every team has their own share of legacy code. Complicating matters, the London-based part of the company merged with the Seattle-based part of the company in 2010. Even after five years, there are still a lot of doubled-up systems and processes (two different company wikis, two different reporting systems, multiple ways of doing email, etc.). Senior management is increasingly concentrated in the head-office in Seattle (having previously been more evenly split between Seattle and London). At present, only one person in the eight-strong Senior Leadership Team is based in London. So getting decisions made can mean encountering timezone barriers. Timezone barriers can also be a problem when working with the offices in India and Australia, meaning communication with them isn't always as strong as it could be. The downside of flexitime is that you can end up keeping very different hours to some of your colleagues! There is sometimes a three-hour gap between the first member of my team turning up in the morning and the last, which restricts when we can all get together for stand-ups and other team meetings. The company is going through quite a bit of change at the moment, including aiming for ISO27001 certification. So we may be about to get more corporate-y. Watch this space, I guess.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Object lesson in how to ruin a company

14 Feb 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stated ideals are admirable and made for a trusting, collaborative environment. Unfortunately, that was not committed to across all management.

Cons

That led to classic back-biting politics at the senior management level, which quickly filtered down thru middle management. The environment quickly became an unpleasant place to work. Now the best people have gone and the rest are looking.

11 people found this review helpful