OpenMarket Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 10 Dec 2020

4.5
OpenMarket CEO Silvio Kutic
Silvio Kutic
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is really good, self-motivating work environment(in 26 reviews)

• "OpenMarket is a great place to work(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Continue to work with parent company to optimize processes (this is getting better)(in 14 reviews)

• "Senior management push out a completely new initiative every few months without completing the initial one(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

An amazing place to work

10 Dec 2020 - Software Developer in Pune
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company has smart and talented people, good opportunities for growth, and learning new technologies. Work-life balance is really good, self-motivating work environment.

Cons

I can't think of any downside so far.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Employee Experience Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave an excellent review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members. As part of our core values, we value people; with that, we're always looking for ways to ensure our OMies have access to growth and development opportunities. If you would like to offer additional feedback, please email us at careers@openmarket.com.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

People are valued at OpenMarket

30 Sep 2020 - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunities for advancement Emotionally intelligent leadership Global team Work-life balance Good benefits

Cons

Tools/ Systems provided by the parent company are more hindrance than helpful

Be the first to find this review helpful

Employee Experience Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate your positive insight and happy to hear your experience is positive overall. We are always looking for ways to improve and can not do that without your feedback. If you have additional thoughts, please contact us at careers@openmarket.com.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Employees are truly trusted, and that makes a difference in so many ways

6 Feb 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture of trust from the senior leaders translates to healthy work-life balance, lack of micro-managing, empowerment to innovate and (gasp) make mistakes that help you and the business grow, and to enjoy your work and colleagues in a (very sleek new) office environment free from toxic politics. A breathe of fresh air compared with many corporate cultures.

Cons

As with many tech companies, diversity and inclusion is a work in progress. However, the leaders have genuine goals to ensure that diverse voices are at the table across the company and are making measurable progress.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Getting better

8 Sep 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good overall culture, friendly and talented group of people. If you are willing to bend your back and take the initiative, you will find tons of opportunities for your professional growth. Management is good at identifying talent and providing carrier growth opportunities. Good work life balance. Flexible work from home policy. Generous PTO and sick day policy. Good medical plan. Good transportation benefits. Free food and other fringe benefits.

Cons

Recent relocation to Queen Anne made commute from South and East side little inconvenient. Recent voluntary attrition especially in the senior management was mostly filled with internal junior talent, though it is a good strategy to encourage and promote the internal talent, since it was done in a short time at a large scale, the short comings from inexperience are felt at layman level.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

If you get the chance, you should work here.

5 Dec 2019 - Accountant in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved working at OpenMarket. It was, hands down, the best working experience of my career. I had never heard of it prior to applying and I'm glad I gave it a chance. OM is definitely a technology company (that may be obvious) but unlike the reviews you may have read about the tech behemoths in Seattle, you are more than a number. Here, you have the opportunity to generate value as part of a highly cohesive and collaborative team, and not just within your own department. The work culture is AWESOME. The benefits are fantastic (PTO, sick time, volunteer hours, etc) and the perks are pretty sweet as well (fully stocked kitchen, regularly scheduled employee events, legitimately useful swag, etc). Above all, the work life balance reigns supreme. While the PTO is not unlimited, it certainly feels that way. Everyone, regardless of seniority or position, is encouraged to take time off work to travel and live their lives outside of work. Plus, you are free to work remotely from your house or wherever you want and no one is standing by to make sure you're working exactly 40 hours. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of times when I worked long days and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. But it didn't make me angry or resentful; I was happy to be there. I made some great friends during my time and I will miss my teammates.

Cons

The only con I can think of relates to the complete turnover of management in the Finance org. This isn't necessarily a negative (depending on your perspective) but it certainly affects an already small team, from multiple standpoints. Changes in management style coupled with the implementation of new initiatives and expectations, within a short period of time, created an immense sense of pressure on a team where there are already too few people to perform the work. Not to mention, a company that openly embraces diversity replaced the only two female leaders of the department, with men. A small team that may have been a 50/50 split has now shifted considerably. For me personally, as a woman, this is obviously disappointing but fortunately it hasn't affected my overall opinion of the company, which is generally very good.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Day to day is great, but the big picture is not

10 Oct 2019 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good benefits. Enjoyable day to day work.

Cons

Engineering is not valued and actively undermined by large parts of the organization. Operations department is trying to take over the company without trying to understand technical challenges.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good work life balance!

28 Sep 2019 - Lead Software Development Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive Salary, good work life balance, good culture

Cons

Dealing with parent company is annoying at times. Would like stock options and better bonus structure.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee

The dead sea effect is in full swing

6 Oct 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Great values * Excellent work/life balance * Great location along the Seattle waterfront, with offices--not an open floor plan * The engineers are egoless, data-driven, and want to solve problems in the best way for at all levels (team/organization/company) * The product has been built with good engineering principles

Cons

* Product feels adrift * During one year, most management in Seattle engineering turned over. Some were forced out. Some lead and senior devs also left * There is currently a black hole of leadership in both engineering and product. * The previous engineering paradigm of decentralized teams with high autonomy that attracted me to open market was destroyed in this turnover * I don't think that the company is aware of (or wants to ignore) the competition for engineering talent in Seattle and I don't see them competing

13 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoy the work/life balance and overall attitude and mindset of the engineering organization. On the other hand, I’m sorry to hear you have concerns about changes in leadership and priorities across the organization. It sounds like you have some insight on recruitment and how leadership can better articulate some of the decisions about the future of our organization. I’d love to sit down with you and talk about your recommendations further. Email me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com to set up a time for us to connect.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company Culture!

6 Jan 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

OpenMarket has a wonderful company culture, which can be a tricky thing to find at tech companies nowadays- work-life balance is very important. OpenMarket has the more flat structure much like a startup with the sense of stability of a larger, more seasoned company. Since we're a smaller company (around 200 employees), you feel like you are more able to make a direct impact. Management is great about letting your voice be heard. There is a lot of flexibility to make sure that employees are happy. Beautiful views of the Sound, and a quick walk to Pike Place Market for lunch. Don't forget free pizza the first Tuesday of each month!

Cons

Being a part of the larger Amdocs organization can cause some headaches at times, but I feel it's something management has to face more than employees. Since we're a smaller company (around 200 employees), there aren't as many opportunities for title advancement. But that isn't to say that you don't have the opportunity to drive your own career growth. Management is very supportive of developing your skills and adding responsibilities to get you to the place you hope to be.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

A Positive Place to Work

18 Dec 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I chose to come to work for OpenMarket almost eight years ago. I was impressed by the emphasis on teamwork, collaboration, and work-life balance. I found those things in place after I took my non-tech role in the company, and have appreciated the teams I have worked in and with over my time so far with the company. I love the good humor and positive outlook that I generally find at work each day, both in my own office and working with others in our various locations. I am especially excited about the current Diversity Initiative where a group within the company is working on educating ourselves and our co-workers on diversity issues and actions we can take to improve our typical dismal tech company stats regarding women and minorities in our workplace compared to the general population.

Cons

As part of the much larger Amdocs organization it seems we have reporting or requirements at times that are not needed or don't make sense for our particular smaller division. In general though, because we have been profitable, we are allowed to function fairly independently.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews