OpenMarket Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 6 Feb 2020

3.8
OpenMarket CEO Jonathan Morgan
Jonathan Morgan
Pros
Cons
  • "Most technical problems had to go through a parent company troubleshooting ticket which was extremely cumbersome(in 10 reviews)

• "Senior management push out a completely new initiative every few months without completing the initial one(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Employees are truly trusted, and that makes a difference in so many ways"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at OpenMarket full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture of trust from the senior leaders translates to healthy work-life balance, lack of micro-managing, empowerment to innovate and (gasp) make mistakes that help you and the business grow, and to enjoy your work and colleagues in a (very sleek new) office environment free from toxic politics. A breathe of fresh air compared with many corporate cultures.

Cons

As with many tech companies, diversity and inclusion is a work in progress. However, the leaders have genuine goals to ensure that diverse voices are at the table across the company and are making measurable progress.

Continue reading

"If you get the chance, you should work here."

Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA

I worked at OpenMarket full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working at OpenMarket. It was, hands down, the best working experience of my career. I had never heard of it prior to applying and I'm glad I gave it a chance. OM is definitely a technology company (that may be obvious) but unlike the reviews you may have read about the tech behemoths in Seattle, you are more than a number. Here, you have the opportunity to generate value as part of a highly cohesive and collaborative team, and not just within your own department. The work culture is AWESOME. The benefits are fantastic (PTO, sick time, volunteer hours, etc) and the perks are pretty sweet as well (fully stocked kitchen, regularly scheduled employee events, legitimately useful swag, etc). Above all, the work life balance reigns supreme. While the PTO is not unlimited, it certainly feels that way. Everyone, regardless of seniority or position, is encouraged to take time off work to travel and live their lives outside of work. Plus, you are free to work remotely from your house or wherever you want and no one is standing by to make sure you're working exactly 40 hours. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of times when I worked long days and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. But it didn't make me angry or resentful; I was happy to be there. I made some great friends during my time and I will miss my teammates.

Cons

The only con I can think of relates to the complete turnover of management in the Finance org. This isn't necessarily a negative (depending on your perspective) but it certainly affects an already small team, from multiple standpoints. Changes in management style coupled with the implementation of new initiatives and expectations, within a short period of time, created an immense sense of pressure on a team where there are already too few people to perform the work. Not to mention, a company that openly embraces diversity replaced the only two female leaders of the department, with men. A small team that may have been a 50/50 split has now shifted considerably. For me personally, as a woman, this is obviously disappointing but fortunately it hasn't affected my overall opinion of the company, which is generally very good.

Continue reading

"Good work life balance!"

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive Salary, good work life balance, good culture

Cons

Dealing with parent company is annoying at times. Would like stock options and better bonus structure.

"Day to day is great, but the big picture is not"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good benefits. Enjoyable day to day work.

Cons

Engineering is not valued and actively undermined by large parts of the organization. Operations department is trying to take over the company without trying to understand technical challenges.

"Getting better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good overall culture, friendly and talented group of people. If you are willing to bend your back and take the initiative, you will find tons of opportunities for your professional growth. Management is good at identifying talent and providing carrier growth opportunities. Good work life balance. Flexible work from home policy. Generous PTO and sick day policy. Good medical plan. Good transportation benefits. Free food and other fringe benefits.

Cons

Recent relocation to Queen Anne made commute from South and East side little inconvenient. Recent voluntary attrition especially in the senior management was mostly filled with internal junior talent, though it is a good strategy to encourage and promote the internal talent, since it was done in a short time at a large scale, the short comings from inexperience are felt at layman level.

Continue reading

"The dead sea effect is in full swing"

2.0

I worked at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

* Great values * Excellent work/life balance * Great location along the Seattle waterfront, with offices--not an open floor plan * The engineers are egoless, data-driven, and want to solve problems in the best way for at all levels (team/organization/company) * The product has been built with good engineering principles

Cons

* Product feels adrift * During one year, most management in Seattle engineering turned over. Some were forced out. Some lead and senior devs also left * There is currently a black hole of leadership in both engineering and product. * The previous engineering paradigm of decentralized teams with high autonomy that attracted me to open market was destroyed in this turnover * I don't think that the company is aware of (or wants to ignore) the competition for engineering talent in Seattle and I don't see them competing

OpenMarket Response

December 14, 2018CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoy the work/life balance and overall attitude and mindset of the engineering organization. On the other hand, I’m sorry to hear you have concerns about changes in leadership and priorities across the organization. It sounds like you have some insight on recruitment and how leadership can better articulate some of the decisions about the future of our organization. I’d love to sit down with you and talk about your recommendations further. Email me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com to set up a time for us to connect.

"Great for newcomers"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Guadalajara, Jalisco
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of legacy code needs to be rethinked giving a great opportunity to improve professionally. Local Management at México seems to understand work/life balance of their employees without being too soft. Recognition of employees extra efforts put in order to accomplish the goals when required. Diverse activities to perform outside work hours enabled by OpenMarket itself to keep every employee in the office in touch. Amdocs gives economical/future certainty for the company.

Cons

Morale outside México seems to be down, and wanting it or not, that gives some uncertainty feels about the upper management. Amdocs is a slight obstacle due small company values differences but nothing to worry about, really Some projects seems to be out of direction or without much purpose . Foreign development teams seem to be disconnected from one another Office shared with Amdocs and not owned by them either, so location could be better.

OpenMarket Response

December 14, 2018CEO

I like reading reviews like yours. You seem to have a great sense of what you like about OpenMarket but also understand that there are always opportunities for improvement. For instance, I am glad to hear you have ample opportunity for professional development and that you have a manager who fosters a great work/life balance. We’ve put a lot of effort in to manager and career development training over the past couple of years and it sounds like it’s been paying off. On the other hand, I hear what you’re saying about morale in other offices. I can assure you that this is something both myself and the senior leadership team spend a lot of timethinking about. You should know I am super conscious of how it feels to be in a remote office as I was based in our Australia office for many years. That being said, I’d love to hear your thoughts on how we might address these issues. Please reach out to me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com to find a time to connect.

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

OpenMarket takes care of all employees and makes sure everyone is happy with their job and feels valued. The company provides good work-life balance allowing flexible work schedules when needed.

Cons

As a division of Amdocs, it can sometimes feel like we are not part of our parent company.

"Respect for every individual is what this place is all about."

Former Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

OpenMarket keeps a very strong focus on respect for every individual. This is reflected in respecting everyone's opinion, jealously protecting your not-at-work time, a very relaxed policy on working from home or remotely, and in their benefits (PTO and sick time combine to nearly 40 days). If you're looking for a place with a work-life balance that leans heavily toward the 'life' side you should consider OpenMarket. Also, much of the leadership has a strong technical background and most used to be devs. I don't think I need to explain to any other engineers why that is awesome.

Cons

Expect a slower paced environment, if you're looking for 'Amazon-light' this is not the ideal spot for you. Politics can also be a bit tricky.

Continue reading

"teams enjoy working together on interesting tech"

5.0

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

Openmarket is really about the people. Development teams enjoy working with each other. Everyone works as a team and there are many great technical discussions and fun banter. The work is always interesting with different problems to solve involving High Availability across many locations and high throughput. Work life balance is always a priority.

Cons

the view can be distracting ;)

Found 24 reviews