Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 8 Jan 2020

2.7
Overstock.com Interim CEO Jonathan Johnson
Jonathan Johnson
Pros
  • "Benefits, home/work life balance, competitive compensation, leverages technology(in 80 reviews)

• "Such great people and I made so many lifelong friends there(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is the dumbest I have ever seen(in 68 reviews)

• "Some senior management is afraid to call any shots because they don't want to be held accountable for the outcome or fired(in 26 reviews)

1. "good company"

Former Employee - Air Battle Manager

I worked at Overstock.com full-time

Pros

good company uses lots of new technologies

Cons

they may layoff anytime which happens every year

Overstock.com2020-01-09
  2. "Good Culture... Sometimes"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great work-life balance, plenty of PTO and great middle managers, exciting projects sometimes, great location.

Cons

Spaghetti code for portions of the website, executive team in constant flux, little quality in the PMO department.

Advice to Management

If you're open to the ideas of those under you, actually take them and do something with them, instead of acknowledging and moving back to status quo.

Overstock.com2019-12-08

"Could have been better"

Former Employee - N/A

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, cafe, campus, holiday activities

Cons

Most of the leadership, VPs and above, are insecure. Many were promoted without the necessary skills to be equipped for such a role and have no hopes of securing a similar title and pay within the Utah market. Since most have a cultural connection to the area this is it for them, and they know it. With the company not returning a profit, the "leaders" have resulted in micromanaging subordinates, bullying teams and trying to show his/her value by undermining coworkers. There is little psychological safety in a real-life Game of Thrones scenario.

Advice to Management

Reflect on your peer review results and remove the "leaders" with low scores. Don't justify it as they are in roles that are subject to harsh criticism. No, you have bullies in your top leadership roles and it's stifling your other employees. Your employees are talking through that process, because it’s the only place they feel somewhat safe. Where there's a lack of diversity, really figure out why.

Overstock.com2019-12-13

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Managing Partner in Midvale, UT

Pros

Cons

I've been employed by this company for 7+ years. Although we've went through some rough patches, they are always seeking to improve themselves as an employer. With that being said, I can't provide any cons

Advice to Management

Provide some sort of regularity in bonus structure and pay out.

Overstock.com2019-10-30
  5. "OverScrooged in Elma, Washington"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Elma, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free coffee, co workers are great

Cons

Zero compassion, mandatory work hours.

Advice to Management

Mandatory overtime the entire Summer and now during the major holidays Regular employees are being punished by Management and HR's incompetency of not being able to hire and keep employee's. It's a known fact in a call center business if you stop hiring you might as well close your doors permanently due to the high turnover. You also need to change your point system, you hire people with issues that are clearly explained during the interview and when they have to go for treatments or other reasons you fire them due to occurring absenteeism, and of course you call it job abandonment. This isn't the military. New hires do not get their schedule until after the 4th Week, how do you expect someone to stay if they don't know their long term schedule, and you expect them to work any days and any hours. Your PTO needs to be over hauled and doubled to accommodate real life issues and you need to treat your employees with the same compassion the employees treat your customers.

Overstock.com2019-12-07

"Favoritism is huge"

Former Employee - Customer Care in Elma, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, benefits, lots of activities

Cons

They play favorites, if you are not a favorite you won’t last long.

Advice to Management

Look at the underdogs as well as the shining stars, they could be shining stars too.

Overstock.com2019-10-23
  7. "Overstock has its perks"

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, lots of training available, flexible schedules

Cons

disconnect with retail could be improved

Advice to Management

Keep Striving

Overstock.com2019-10-02

"Some of What You Want, for Less"

Former Employee - Content Marketing Copywriter in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cool corporate campus, fun monthly events, good insurance options, generous 401k match, on-site health clinic & daycare, and a reasonably priced cafeteria with tasty food.

Cons

Nepotism really is as rampant as other reviewers say. It's leadership roulette, some seem capable and confident while others... are less so. Building trust in leadership is a constant, company-wide struggle. Direct management is also a toss-up. In my time at Overstock, I had managers that were empowering and trusting as well as managers that seemed to enjoy belittling, shaming, and criticizing others. A lot still needs to be done to improve psychological safety in the workplace. Early on, compensation was fair and competitive, but Overstock has developed a habit of permanently increasing job responsibilities without increasing pay. It's easy to get stuck in a dead-end position. Not enough opportunities for advancement. There's a perception that management's only willing to create new positions for friends.

Advice to Management

Make your retail employees feel valued again, and not by throwing them a few RSUs or more days of PTO. The gap between what your retail employees are worth and what they are paid is rapidly increasing. Enough excuses. It costs less to give a consistent/reliable employee a modest raise than it does to hire and train their replacement.

Overstock.com2019-10-07

"I LOVED my job."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked there for 15 years and unfortunately was among the 300+ laid off at the beginning of the year. Did it hurt? Very much so. But I still have only positive things to say about Overstock. I know many have been critical of executives. But as with all companies this big, you are bound to have a few leaders you don't care for. However, as for all managers I worked under, I can only report on what they were — exceptional. My managers encouraged me to push myself and were always willing to give me new opportunities. Even at times I fell short, they were willing to help me get back on my feet and improve myself. I know many people will think that sounds crazy that I didn’t have a bad experience with management my entire 15 years, but it is true. I had more interactions with the CEO in my early years, but even up to my last day I always found him to be insightful, smart, and caring. The coliseum is the best. Fantastic cafeteria, weekly massage therapist, gym, daycare, and even onsite medical care. I was always pleased with benefits and while I had my Associates Degree when I first started, Overstock paid my tuition for the rest of my schooling to get my Bachelors. They also have fun social events and concerts. The biggest praise I can give were my fellow coworkers. Such great people and I made so many lifelong friends there. And I LOVED my last team so so much. I miss seeing and socializing with them daily. I will never have another team like it. The company came on some hard times recently but what business doesn’t? While it brought my 15 years to an end, I can only say I wish it had been 30.

Cons

Parking lot is a good 8-10 minute walk (but can anyone really complain that Patrick wants to keep you healthy?).

Advice to Management

No advice. Just a sincere "thank you" for all the experiences and opportunities.

Overstock.com2019-08-13
  10. "Good experience !"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great people to work with. - Great place to learn & grow. - Good pay as per the location.

Cons

- Regular firing makes people nervous (one of the reasons to leave company else would not have ever).

Advice to Management

- Management is not focused. Keeps on changing plans without completing existing goals.

Overstock.com2019-08-31