Overstock.com Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.8
Overstock.com CEO Jonathan Johnson
Jonathan Johnson
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management is the dumbest I have ever seen(in 68 reviews)

• "Some senior management is afraid to call any shots because they don't want to be held accountable for the outcome or fired(in 26 reviews)

1. "Good experience !"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great people to work with. - Great place to learn & grow. - Good pay as per the location.

Cons

- Regular firing makes people nervous (one of the reasons to leave company else would not have ever).

Advice to Management

- Management is not focused. Keeps on changing plans without completing existing goals.

Overstock.com2019-08-31

"Need better pay and more reasonable expectations for leadership"

Former Employee - Content Writer in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are great. Being able to work in the greenhouse and attend meditation during the workday is incredible. The company culture is great and the monthly parties are awesome.

Cons

The pay was nowhere near competitive for my discipline. Despite requiring a college degree for my position, they paid an hourly wage that amounted to about 36,000 a year. At my level the culture was fun, but friends in management were often overly stressed and weren't provided with necessary resources to be successful.

Advice to Management

If a college degree is required for a job, ensure that you're paying them enough to feed themselves, in addition to paying off school. Change your approach to management and don't try to motivate people by threatening their job security.

Overstock.com2019-08-28
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Dev Lead

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Wonderful campus in Midvale - Great Cafe and food - Wonderful colleagues - They care about their employees - Lots of opportunities to learn - Great management

Cons

lots of changes happen in a short time

Overstock.com2019-08-30
  4. "The Tech side of Overstock is a pretty solid company with a good future if they can only keep focused."

Former Employee - Asset Recovery Specialist in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work/life balance. Opportunities for advancement and promotions, amenities, environment and culture. I really enjoyed my team and department I worked in. My pay was above average for the marketplace.

Cons

The CEO is trying to sell off the retail portion of the company while keeping the tech side and blockchain property management and development subsidiaries. So, it's often difficult to gauge your career path and your place in the company.

Advice to Management

Share more information about how things are going and what is really expected of you.

Overstock.com2019-08-22

"I LOVED my job."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked there for 15 years and unfortunately was among the 300+ laid off at the beginning of the year. Did it hurt? Very much so. But I still have only positive things to say about Overstock. I know many have been critical of executives. But as with all companies this big, you are bound to have a few leaders you don't care for. However, as for all managers I worked under, I can only report on what they were —... exceptional. My managers encouraged me to push myself and were always willing to give me new opportunities. Even at times I fell short, they were willing to help me get back on my feet and improve myself. I know many people will think that sounds crazy that I didn’t have a bad experience with management my entire 15 years, but it is true. I had more interactions with the CEO in my early years, but even up to my last day I always found him to be insightful, smart, and caring. The coliseum is the best. Fantastic cafeteria, weekly massage therapist, gym, daycare, and even onsite medical care. I was always pleased with benefits and while I had my Associates Degree when I first started, Overstock paid my tuition for the rest of my schooling to get my Bachelors. They also have fun social events and concerts. The biggest praise I can give were my fellow coworkers. Such great people and I made so many lifelong friends there. And I LOVED my last team so so much. I miss seeing and socializing with them daily. I will never have another team like it. The company came on some hard times recently but what business doesn’t? While it brought my 15 years to an end, I can only say I wish it had been 30.

Cons

Parking lot is a good 8-10 minute walk (but can anyone really complain that Patrick wants to keep you healthy?).

Advice to Management

No advice. Just a sincere "thank you" for all the experiences and opportunities.

Overstock.com2019-08-13

"Ok place to work"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great building and cafeteria, nice to have a gym onsite.

Cons

Management only promote their cronies/family members

Overstock.com2019-08-01
  7. "Overstock has great people but not enough of them to keep up with the workload"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Midvale, UT

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great 401k match, on-site clinic, on-site gym.

Cons

No work-life balance and compensation is on the lower end

Overstock.com2019-08-15

"Run. Run Far."

Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The money was great, but certainly not worth what came with it.

Cons

- Poor management with backbiting and gossip encouraged. - Continually changing objectives based on the whims of executives instead of data and results. - Unless you were part of the all-male inner circle, good luck promotions and raises. - Company strategy is to go through massive hiring phases, only to lay people off in droves; AKA no real job security unless, again, you're part of that all-male executive... inner circle. - I wouldn't work here again even if I had no other work options.

Advice to Management

Patrick stepping down will be a big help, but let people be domain experts and manage their initiatives. Don't reward bad behavior and poor skills with any level of your management, from C-level to team managers.

Overstock.com2019-09-02

"Horrible."

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Overstock.com

Pros

None. Glassdoor needs a minimum of five words so I am writing this.

Cons

No growth. Monotonous repetitive work. They do not let you switch to another team to learn something new.I had a new manager every couple of months. No training opportunity. No clear communication from management.

Advice to Management

None. They don’t care.

Overstock.com2019-08-26

"Super passive-aggressive place to work"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Overstock.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have no pros...I come to work each day with a huge knot of fear in my belly so it's hard to notice anything positive. I am glad that the old president is gone

Cons

How you do in this company seems to have little to do with how you perform in your job, but more to do with how much the higher-ups like you (and sometimes they won't like you because you can do their jobs better than them). This company prides itself on listening to employees, but what that really means is they will listen to frilly ideas like what perks to offer at work, implement some unnecessarily complicated... system to get feedback, etc. They do not listen to employees about the things that really matter and genuine concerns about what an unhealthy place Overstock has become. Merchandising in particular is a department to watch yourself...the 'overseer' of merchandising holds grudges and is very vindictive about the smallest things, even if you look at her funny in a meeting. Avoid this company. The constant stress and wondering who will be fired next isn't worth any perk they offer.

Advice to Management

You do not get more productive, happy and effective workers by laying off people and scaring them with their jobs. Take a look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs...if your employees are worried about being able to pay rent, buy food, etc because you've made them think their jobs are in danger, they will not perform well because that is not where their focus is. I've seen way too many good people leave this company and... I'm leaving as soon as I get another job. And a personal note to the CEO...stop writing petty reviews to every bad comment someone leaves about you or your company. Two words: grow up.

Overstock.com2019-08-11