Find jobs for Dentist

Stephen Thorne

"-"

Current Employee - General Dentist in Chamblee, GA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

no time commitment (easy to leave without any contracted time period), less patient volume

Cons

just like any other corporates

Pacific Dental Services2020-04-14
  2. "Decent for new graduate"

Former Employee - Associate Dentist
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn to use CEREC, learning the business side of things, meeting other colleagues, metrics utilized for monitoring your performance and also office performance.

Cons

Work with other people who are not high caliber, clinical quality isn't evidence based or top notch, just average. They can tweak your production numbers to underpay you (watch out for that), they didn't pay me as an exempt employee when I should have been classified as such.

Pacific Dental Services2020-03-23

"Depends upon owner"

2.0
    Current Employee - Associate Dentist in Wylie, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ok place to work but compensation based on production and can be issue if not enough patients coming in

Cons

Corporate culture is hindrance to ethical treatment planning

Pacific Dental Services2020-03-02

April 17, 2020People Services

Thank you for your review. At Pacific Dental Services®, one of our core beliefs is that the way we do business is as critical as whether business is good or bad. Each one of us takes personal responsibility for maintaining an ethical practice where both patient and team member wellness are a priority. As we continue our work as a leader in the dental industry, Pacific Dental Services pledges to continue providing state of the art, same day dentistry while supporting our team members in their career growth.

4. "Great mentorship and room to grow for new grads"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Dentist

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Clinical mentorship. Training in CAD/CAM CEREC dentistry. Training and engagement in patient treatment plan acceptance

Cons

high turnover. feeling "pushed" do refer only to in-house specialists and do 100% CEREC crowns. Sketchy employment contract and compensation structure for AD's.

Pacific Dental Services2020-02-04

March 3, 2020People Services

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is valuable as we are constantly looking for new and innovative ways to provide our supported clinicians with the resources they need to provide the best dentistry possible.

5. "Decent training"

Former Employee - Dentist

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent training and decent facilities

Cons

Hard to make a decent income unless you buy in

Pacific Dental Services2020-01-08

"Ignorant Operations Managers"

Former Employee - Associate Dentist

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

My coworkers and OD were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

I have never felt so disrespected and discriminated against until I worked at PDS. We got a new egotistical operations manager who previously worked at a car rental place, worlds away from dentistry. He had the audacity to sit me down and tell me that I needed his PERMISSION to leave the office. He said that I had to tell him where I was going during my free time and he would be the judge of whether it was ok or not. I would understand if I was paid by the hour, but I’m not. I would have huge gaps in my schedule due to lack of patients. I told him that I did not want to just waste my time sitting in the cold break room while I wait for my patient to arrive HOURS later. I tried to compromise with this corporate goonie by explaining that if I’m needed for an emergency walk-in patient he could simply text me and I’ll be there before the X-rays are even taken because I’m normally just at the Target in the same shopping center as the office or in my car. Of course his ego was too large to compromise and he refused to let me leave the office without getting his permission first. He said that I could do OFFICE WORK when I’m not seeing patients. That is HIS job that he is paid for, not mine. Plus, everyone in the office leaves to run errands when there are no patients, yet only I was reprimanded for this and supposed to bow down to his ruling. I quit that very day. HR attempted to contact me regarding it, but gave me a phone number that had a full voicemail. I called several times and she NEVER picked up. I even emailed her to schedule a time to talk about it and she did not respond with a time. HR clearly wanted to create a facade that they care, but clearly don’t. Stay away from PDS if you don’t wish to be a slave to corporate goonies that know nothing about dentistry and only care about numbers.

Pacific Dental Services2019-12-20
  7. "Great Private Practice Model in a DSO"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Dentist

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, Support, Mentorship, CE, Culture

Cons

Production based, heavy on referral to specialists

Pacific Dental Services2019-11-21

"Very unethical dental practices"

2.0
    Current Employee - Associate Dentist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ok place to start as a new dentist Cerec training Increase your speed Don't have to do tx you're not comfortable with - can refer

Cons

Need to up sell if your want to make money They tell you how you "need to dx more SRP's or Crowns" They only care about profits and not about pt care If you don't make your average daily production you have to pay back what you owe to the company No PTO or paid holidays Frequently need to work through lunch Poor mentorship, my OD is not very knowledgeable but this depends on your owner doc OD may take high productive treatment leaving you with scraps Associates get the worst insurance and owner doc always had the best. I would work twice as hard for half the pay Always out of supplies they are so focused on profit they regularly under order and you can be out of cement, gauze, bibs etc. We are ALL replaceable. Dentists are commodities CE classes they offer are all internal with the company and also brainwashing type classes about PDS Everything is about selling treatment and verbiage for patients to accept treatment they might not need High turnover

Pacific Dental Services2019-11-01

December 6, 2019People Services

We're concerned about your perception of our company. We want you to know that we're listening, and we're doing everything we can to address the feedback of our team members. In recent months, we renewed our commitment to making PDS-supported practices healthier, happier places to work. This includes providing leadership training throughout the company, addressing performance concerns where needed, and enhancing the benefits offered to all eligible team members. Associate dentists at PDS enjoy a full set of benefits that varies for full time team members in eligible roles. Please email us at welisten@pacden.com or reach out to your People Services representative if you would like to voice a concern or learn more about your benefits. As we continue our work as leaders in the dental industry, we remain steadfast in our belief that honesty, integrity, and character are vital to the health of our organization. Additionally, our PDS-supported practices provide the highest quality, patient-centric care. PDS-supported clinicians strive to educate their patients about the link between oral health and whole-body health, or what our organization refers to as The Mouth-Body Connection. This whole-body approach to patient care includes comprehensive periodontal treatment as well as other treatments that help patients become healthier and happier, such as the SRPs and crowns you mentioned. We'd like to affirm that our supported dental practices offer state of the art, same-day dentistry and multiple treatment choices as a way to expand access to care for patients with busy schedules and emerging oral health care needs. By providing this comprehensive access to care, our supported clinicians are presenting the best dentistry possible to each and every patient.

"Avoid if you can"

Former Employee - Dentist in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

cerec training( but you can get that anywhere)

Cons

Really bad place to work, would be on my way to work and they would say the day is cancelled because there are no patients. they could'nt fill the schedule. Ran into a coworker (RDH) months later and she told me she quit because whenever there was a gap in the patients schedule, the manager/doctor would make her clock out. (she said she would just hang out in the car for 4 hours every other day)

Pacific Dental Services2019-11-09

"Terrible for Associates, Great for company and owners"

Former Employee - Associate Dentist in Denver, CO

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free CE, Get to work with new technology

Cons

You are a dental salesman, not a dentist at PDS supported offices. Pay is based on how much you sell, not the quality of your work. As an associate, you will often have to do follow ups for other doctors because they are too busy doing production work. The company will push you to sell "upgraded" (more expensive) crowns, laser treatments for periodontal disease, and oral DNA testing which isn't covered by insurance plans. We had multiple training sessions alone on how to sell oral DNA testing. The line that "the average PDS supported dentist makes $160,000 to $390,000" that appears in all of their job listings also includes owner doctors who take the majority the practice revenue. Don't expect to make anywhere near that amount of money as an associate. Associate compensation is based on how much you sell, so you have "unlimited earning potential." In reality, there will be days where you will walk home with near minimum wage salary, when your owner decided that you had to do a bunch of HMO exams and cleanings for no production (ie no sales). There is no PTO and you'll have to work most holidays including Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. In summary, associate dentist positions with PDS are extremely high risk positions, especially for recent graduates. There is a possibility that you can end up in a good office. There is a greater possibility that if you don't sell enough, take a sick day, or get a bad review that you will be terminated. PDS offices go through associate dentists extremely quickly. I worked with 3 different associates in the same office over an eight month period.

Pacific Dental Services2019-11-07