Pacific Dental Services General Dentist Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Stephen Thorne

"General Dentist"

Current Employee - General Dentist in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I initially had reservations working for PDS due to the corporate reputation. However, I am so glad I did. PDS has exceeded every expectation I’ve had. As a dentist, I am solely able to focus on my dentistry. I do not have to worry about insurance, hiring/firing employees, marketing, etc. Before PDS, I worked in private practice. My work life balance has vastly improved since switching. Other pros include the... amount of free C.E. at my disposable, which is usually very expensive. There is full benefits (medical, vision, 401k, etc) which is unheard of in private practice. I am so happy I took a chance with PDS because it has brought my career to the next level.

Cons

Occasionally open extended hours (7PM) and Saturdays. However, I worked these hours in private practice as well.

Pacific Dental Services2018-03-19

"Dentist/Owner"

Current Employee - General Dentist in Puyallup, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ease of becoming and associate and then becoming an owner. Great opportunities in the WA region for growth. Team at the office has been a huge pro for me.

Cons

Scale of production %, scale system can be challenging and having a set production % would have been a great option if the dentist could prove themselves to be capable.

Advice to Management

More regional get events to build a sense of community with PDS. Baseball games suites for the employees or something around this to show the employees they are doing well and are appreciated.

Pacific Dental Services2018-04-04

"great start!"

Current Employee - General Dentist

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

continuing education for ALL employees to improve their craft

Cons

honestly, I have found no cons yet

Pacific Dental Services2017-09-05
  4. "General Dentist"

General Dentist in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Pacific Dental Services

Pros

Good owner translates to good experience with Pacific Dental

Cons

It's been perfect for my needs especially just getting out of school last year.

Pacific Dental Services2016-11-16

"You are only measured by how much you can sell"

General Dentist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services

Pros

Growing company.... many opportunities to transfer across state lines

Cons

you are not valued as a person. Time off for family? no way! We have arbitrary goals to meet. Who cares if you just had child, or your child is sick, or if you and your spouse are having a hard time..... get yourself to work and produce, produce produce. Like a Carrot dangling , you are "motivated" to produce or you will be replaced. Threats of being replaced are a monthly mantra at the regional meetings

Advice to Management

the PPE needs to stand for Perfect Place for Employees. You have a reputation of not giving a hoot about people and its becoming evident in all the Dental Societies that you are just trying to bleed dentists as work horses!

Pacific Dental Services2016-03-30
  6. "Dentist"

General Dentist in League City, TX

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services

Pros

In my 10 years of practice I have worked with 2 other very large Dental Service Organizations. My 2 years experience as a PDS supported clinician have been extraordinary compared to the other 2 DSOs. Not only is PDS at the forefront with modern technology but it does an amazing job in supporting its doctors with ongoing continuing education to support that technology. I received over 70 hours of free CE in my... first year with PDS and learned more in that time than I did in my first 8 years practicing. Today, thanks to the support I have received from PDS, I have become a very successful practice owner and a very well rounded clinician practicing in a state of the art facility where I am able to offer the best dentistry possible to each and every patient. One of my favorite things about PDS is the Pacific Dental Services Foundation. The foundation provides a platform for clinicians like me to give back in ways I could have never imagined. Last year I had the amazing opportunity to travel to Ethiopia for a week not only to treat patients in need but, also to teach Ethiopian dental students to become better clinicians. I would recommend a career with PDS to any one of my friends and family or to anyone looking for an exceptional career in the dental field.

Cons

I honestly have no cons. I am extremely happy with PDS.

Pacific Dental Services2016-01-22

February 8, 2016Human Resources Representative

Wow - such amazing feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and are happy to hear the continuing education, modern technology, and ongoing support have contributed to your positive experience. Your service in Ethiopia is so greatly valued and we are more than grateful to be able to support an entity as wonderful as the Pacific Dental Services Foundation. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to continuing to support you!

"Corporate dentistry after all"

Former Employee - General Dentist in Yucaipa, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

401 k, continuing education, health insurance, multiple locations, Having specialty on site; I can not think of any other pros.

Cons

Poor patient care; not competitive salary for associate dentists; under staffed and short in assistance; short in instruments and materials

Pacific Dental Services2015-11-10

November 17, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad to hear that the continuing education, 401 k, health insurance, and having in-house specialty were positive aspects of your experience at a PDS®-supported office. We appreciate your comments and feedback and will take it back to the PDS Supported Owner Dentist. Thank you.

8. "General Dentist"

General Dentist in Surprise, AZ

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services

Pros

Great environment for a dental provider as far as having autonomy to practice dentistry the way you want. Staff is all very well trained and great continuing education opportunity as well as ownership opportunity. I am very pleased with my experience so far.

Cons

I can't think of any at the moment.

Advice to Management

Pacific Dental Services needs to keep growing and opening up practices in more states.

Pacific Dental Services2015-10-06

October 28, 2015Human Resources Representative

We are glad to hear that the supported autonomy, the opportunity to access continued education, and the well trained office staff have contributed to your positive partnership with PDS®. We are just as excited as you to see what the future holds! Thank you again for your review.

"1 Year review"

Current Employee - General Dentist in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Having owned my own private practice, I know the struggles and stresses that come with being on your own and running a business by yourself. Partnering with PDS as an Owner Doctor has given me the opportunity to realize my dream practice. It has allowed me to be a better clinician through mentorship with other doctors, training through continuing education, and supported autonomy and a comprehensive approach to... patient care.

Cons

My only regret is that I did not partner with PDS earlier in my career.

Pacific Dental Services2015-08-30

September 25, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are thrilled to hear such positive feedback highlighting all of the primary elements of our Private Practice+ Model. It is great to hear that the mentorship, continuing education, and supported autonomy you found with PDS® has given you the opportunity to realize your dream practice. We are glad to see devoted teammates like yourself helping us expand into new markets such as Minnesota. Thank you for your review!

"Corporate dentistry, a prison without walls."

General Dentist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services

Pros

Joined PDS after a year in private practice. Thought I'd try it out in my quest to find where I fit in to the dental world. Pros: tons of CE and most is useful, good Cerec training and experience, no manipulation of treatment plans or pressure to over treat, lots of new patients, very few emergency calls comparatively

Cons

Cons: Low compensation levels (associates start at 24% of production.) Office manager RUNS the front office and lead dental assistant RUNS the back office, leaving the owner doctor as basically a puppet who has some say, but pretty much does what he's told. The lead assistant has a tight budget to stick to which can lead to weekly "what do you mean we dont have bite registration!?" conversations. The assistant... replies with, "oh that should be here by Tuesday..." BUT I NEED IT NOW!!! That and lack of instruments yo keep up with a busy day. Maybe the most financial obstacle is the HORRIBLE insurance contracts (you'll do a crap load of $400 crowns, $42 fillings, and a fair share of $0 prophys, sealants, and exts.) Really makes it hard to get your production up when your working your butt off for ridiculous insurance contracts. PDS retards your growth as a clinician as everything that can, "should" be referred to the many specialists that come to the office 1-3Xs a month. I wonder if I can still do molar endo and difficult extractions as I haven't done them in a year. Technically you "can" do these procedures, though it's difficult to do a root canal when your assistants don't know how to set or assist for one. Not to mention getting into the middle of one and being told you don't have size 31 mm files. Owners can only buy 49% of the business and will always be pawns in upper managements game. Make no mistake, my owner doctor makes a decent living but he isn't the boss. He does what he's told by the manager, lead assistant, regional manager, regional partner, and Steve Thorne. Lots of people to bow too and even more mouths to feed.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say here. The business will continue to spread and these new docs will continue to get sucked into a career of depressing single tooth PPO/HMO dentistry. Private practice isn't for everyone, only those that want to be their own boss or at least have a say in the dental experience they wish to provide patients.

Pacific Dental Services2015-08-14

September 9, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad to hear that the PDS® training courses and continuing education are useful and have been a positive part of your experience at a PDS®-supported office. We enjoy hearing feedback that affirms PDS®’s goals such as bringing lots of new patients to each office and allowing owners and associates to present treatment options to patients that resolve the overall state of their patients’ oral health. In regards to your comments about front and back office leadership…we feel that by providing all teammates in each supported-office with an opportunity to contribute to overall production not only builds office cohesion, but also allows for a constant, open discussion of ideas, suggestions and concerns amongst the team. We apologize that this business dynamic does not seem to suffice your standards. Your honest feedback helps us ensure authenticity and transparency within the company. That being said, we will pass along your suggestions to our leadership team. Thank you.

Found 15 reviews