Pacific Dental Services "dentists" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Pacific Dental Services Employee Reviews about "dentists"

Updated 23 Oct 2019

3.2
Pacific Dental Services CEO Stephen Thorne
Stephen Thorne
Pros
  • "I loved how I was able to work on a project that actual dentists could use in the field to positively impact their practice(in 44 reviews)

• "They give back to the community with many events they sponsor i(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "Management will constantly sit you down to give you lessons about dental treatment planning even though they aren't dentists(in 61 reviews)

• "You have to be cognizant of what it takes to create a good work life balance, but that's largely dependent on your skill set as a manager(in 50 reviews)

Reviews about "dentists"

Return to all Reviews

"Depends on the Owner Dentist."

Current Employee - Dentist in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Completely Depends on The Owner Dentist. Can be an incredible opportunity/experience or a poor one. They will invest a ton into their teams. No matter what you will learn how to talk to patients and get treatment acceptance.

Cons

Hours are offset and if you’re with a young team it can be tough teaching dental assistants, that comes with the territory though.

Pacific Dental Services2019-09-19
  2. "Never."

Former Employee - Senior Dentist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

SIGH. so much potential lost in ego mania

Cons

Dentist/Owner (Former Employee), California – October 10, 2019 Not a place for doctors! They treat you like dudu regional managers, oms thrive here! Dentists dont. Its a cult. Dont waste your education. Limit space

Advice to Management

Please check the power you are giving, RMs and OM's they are driving great, passionate doctors away.

Pacific Dental Services2019-10-11

"Money Hungry, Unethical"

Former Employee - Associate Dentist

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time

Pros

Cerec training, mentorship, can't think of anything else.

Cons

They are over aggressive in treatment planning to the point of unethical. I've seen doctors place crowns on teeth with severe bone loss, root canals for small existing amalgams, and crowns when no cracks are present on the tooth. Management will constantly sit you down to give you lessons about dental treatment planning even though they aren't dentists. You will treatment plan a single Occlusal composite,... but the BC will change the code to a 4 surface composite for financial gain They have a facade that they are Christian with high morals and values, but you'll learn quickly that it is all fake.

Advice to Management

Let dentists be dentists and care more about your patients than your wallets.

Pacific Dental Services2019-08-17
  4. "So Grateful to work for Pacific Dental Services"

Current Employee - Dentist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I was a 30 year private practice dentist when I moved to California and was hired by PDS. I have come to see soo many pros to this forward thinking company that I would never go back. to private practice. The support professionally is unrivaled. Exposure to new technology and training was so amazing Support by the company and my professional peers during medical challenge I went through was invaluable. Had I been... in private practice I would have been in serious jeopardy on many levels. The management team and founder have developed an entity that describes how I see dentistry for the next generations of dentists and I feel fortunate to be a part of it

Cons

Not so many cons after 10 years . What I originally saw as cons, have become common sense practices and procedures that are necessary to move forward with this type of organization

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and that includes growing and changing and evolving

Pacific Dental Services2019-07-12

"Overall Good"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working in dental and getting to interact with employees and patients. Fun network to be a part of. Provide a lot of general training. Great opportunity for new dentists to get experience and dentists who move into ownership have opportunity to make a lot of money.

Cons

More money/profit driven than doing right by patients.

Pacific Dental Services2019-03-15

"Get if you want to use it as stepping stone not for long run"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for a start. Easy to get job with PDS since dentists don't stick around for more than 6 months.

Cons

Really bad work culture. These guys are production and money driven. They don't care about the dentists.

Advice to Management

Dentists are not a commodity. Show some respect towards dentists. Corporate guys treat dentists like crap.

Pacific Dental Services2019-02-01

"Lead Dental Asst"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer online classes and all the basics that come with a full time job.

Cons

They over load the schedule and don't have full staff to support the type of schedule they create. They put systems in place that cause more time but then get on you for the extra time. They are a very religious company. Expect god to come up more than it should in a work environment. The dental asst's chairs are the worst for your body. No locking arm for proper support. They do not check the quality of work... they hire as Dentists. They run 5 day and some times 6 day work weeks. The benefits are not the greatest, you can only get your dental work done by PDS, so you better like the quality of work coming from there. Such a packed schedule there isnt enough time to build a good relationship. Everything is rushed through. You are working too close to the holidays to actually make plans with your own family.

Advice to Management

Get better chairs for your assistants. Take the time to make sure you are hiring Dr's with good quality work. Staff your locations correctly or adapt the schedule to respect your patients and staffs time and quality of work. Employees need proper time off around holidays for travel and to take time for their own families. They should not have to feel pressured to work because your bottom line and the money matters... more than your employees personal lives.

Pacific Dental Services2018-11-15

"Reasonably good company but some horrible Regional Partners"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Dentists. Good focus on quality patient care. Very caring people.

Cons

PDS has a Regional Partner model, which means each RP owns his/her region. They are King! So if you are going to work there just know the RP will make or break your experience. I was in the Northern California region and the RP was the worst leader I have ever seen. As an Operations Manager at a PDS office I did not have to see the RP very often. But when I did it was horrible. He would humiliate us in front of... others. Always preached leadership quotes but practiced none of it. He would point out “metrics” and chastise is for not being better, but offered no help. Just left us feeling defeated. Why would I want to get a promotion to Regional Manager if I had to have this guy as my boss? I left PDS in 2017 and have been happy ever since.

Advice to Management

You have got to deal with your Northern California Leader. He is a really bad leader.

Pacific Dental Services2018-08-26

Pacific Dental Services Response

December 14, 2018People Services

Thank you so much for your honest feedback regarding your experiences working with our Regional Partners. Since your separation from the company in 2017, we’ve worked hard to implement important changes companywide. We made great strides to cultivate positive work environments in all our supported offices by providing training for leadership throughout the company and addressing performance concerns where needed. In particular, we focused resources on improving the leadership style of the Northern California region. As we work towards even greater improvements in 2019, we hope you’ll see that Pacific Dental Services continues to be a company comprised of caring people who focus on quality patient care.

"General Dentist"

Former Employee - Dentist in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to work with other Dentists and specialists Training with Cerec

Cons

Pay Hours High turnover Not much opportunity for CE unless you want to learn more about PDS culture

Advice to Management

Put Doctors in position to be successful rather than trying to squeeze everything possible out of every practice.

Pacific Dental Services2018-08-01

"General Dentist"

Current Employee - General Dentist in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I initially had reservations working for PDS due to the corporate reputation. However, I am so glad I did. PDS has exceeded every expectation I’ve had. As a dentist, I am solely able to focus on my dentistry. I do not have to worry about insurance, hiring/firing employees, marketing, etc. Before PDS, I worked in private practice. My work life balance has vastly improved since switching. Other pros include the... amount of free C.E. at my disposable, which is usually very expensive. There is full benefits (medical, vision, 401k, etc) which is unheard of in private practice. I am so happy I took a chance with PDS because it has brought my career to the next level.

Cons

Occasionally open extended hours (7PM) and Saturdays. However, I worked these hours in private practice as well.

Pacific Dental Services2018-03-19