Pacific Dental Services "dentists" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Pacific Dental Services Employee Reviews about "dentists"

Updated 17 Jul 2019

Found 670 reviews

3.1
Pacific Dental Services CEO Stephen Thorne
Stephen Thorne
Pros
  • "dentists who move into ownership have opportunity to make a lot of money(in 41 reviews)

• "As a dentist, I am solely able to focus on my dentistry(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "They don't care about the dentists(in 59 reviews)

• "You have to be cognizant of what it takes to create a good work life balance, but that's largely dependent on your skill set as a manager(in 49 reviews)

Reviews about "dentists"

Return to all Reviews

"Overall Good"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working in dental and getting to interact with employees and patients. Fun network to be a part of. Provide a lot of general training. Great opportunity for new dentists to get experience and dentists who move into ownership have opportunity to make a lot of money.

Cons

More money/profit driven than doing right by patients.

Pacific Dental Services2019-03-15

"Get if you want to use it as stepping stone not for long run"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for a start. Easy to get job with PDS since dentists don't stick around for more than 6 months.

Cons

Really bad work culture. These guys are production and money driven. They don't care about the dentists.

Advice to Management

Dentists are not a commodity. Show some respect towards dentists. Corporate guys treat dentists like crap.

Pacific Dental Services2019-02-01

"Lead Dental Asst"

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer online classes and all the basics that come with a full time job.

Cons

They over load the schedule and don't have full staff to support the type of schedule they create. They put systems in place that cause more time but then get on you for the extra time. They are a very religious company. Expect god to come up more than it should in a work environment. The dental asst's chairs are the worst for your body. No locking arm for proper support. They do not check the quality of work they...

Advice to Management

Get better chairs for your assistants. Take the time to make sure you are hiring Dr's with good quality work. Staff your locations correctly or adapt the schedule to respect your patients and staffs time and quality of work. Employees need proper time off around holidays for travel and to take time for their own families. They should not have to feel pressured to work because your bottom line and the money matters more...

Pacific Dental Services2018-11-15

"Reasonably good company but some horrible Regional Partners"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Dentists. Good focus on quality patient care. Very caring people.

Cons

PDS has a Regional Partner model, which means each RP owns his/her region. They are King! So if you are going to work there just know the RP will make or break your experience. I was in the Northern California region and the RP was the worst leader I have ever seen. As an Operations Manager at a PDS office I did not have to see the RP very often. But when I did it was horrible. He would humiliate us in front of others....

Advice to Management

You have got to deal with your Northern California Leader. He is a really bad leader.

Pacific Dental Services2018-08-26

Pacific Dental Services Response

December 14, 2018People Services

Thank you so much for your honest feedback regarding your experiences working with our Regional Partners. Since your separation from the company in 2017, we’ve worked hard to implement important changes companywide. We made great strides to cultivate positive work environments in ...

"General Dentist"

Former Employee - Dentist in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to work with other Dentists and specialists Training with Cerec

Cons

Pay Hours High turnover Not much opportunity for CE unless you want to learn more about PDS culture

Advice to Management

Put Doctors in position to be successful rather than trying to squeeze everything possible out of every practice.

Pacific Dental Services2018-08-01

"General Dentist"

Current Employee - General Dentist in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I initially had reservations working for PDS due to the corporate reputation. However, I am so glad I did. PDS has exceeded every expectation I’ve had. As a dentist, I am solely able to focus on my dentistry. I do not have to worry about insurance, hiring/firing employees, marketing, etc. Before PDS, I worked in private practice. My work life balance has vastly improved since switching. Other pros include the amount...

Cons

Occasionally open extended hours (7PM) and Saturdays. However, I worked these hours in private practice as well.

Pacific Dental Services2018-03-19

"Dentist/Owner"

Current Employee - General Dentist in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ease of becoming and associate and then becoming an owner. Great opportunities in the WA region for growth. Team at the office has been a huge pro for me.

Cons

Scale of production %, scale system can be challenging and having a set production % would have been a great option if the dentist could prove themselves to be capable.

Advice to Management

More regional get events to build a sense of community with PDS. Baseball games suites for the employees or something around this to show the employees they are doing well and are appreciated.

Pacific Dental Services2018-04-04

"Great place to work for.. No Way.. For Fresh Grads good exposure"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good exposure and learning Experience for Fresh Grads. Work here for few months to get experience and exposure. For long term not so much. You get to do lots of new procedures.

Cons

Too much importance to daily production. Dentists are treated as a commodity. Benefits really bad. No paid vacations. Long working hours 10 hours minimum without extra pay. You will be lucky if your OD is good else your life will be miserable.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees especiallydentists like human beings. Don't treat them like a commodity..

Pacific Dental Services2018-02-10

"Will never work for this company again!"

Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Baytown, TX

I worked at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked with a wonderful new dentist and a assistant that helped me learn.

Cons

Constantly told to go home with no patients. Unprofessional. It was clear most team members did not care about each other or the patients. Tense work environment. The company says they are the best dental company in the US but did not give a Xmas bonus or any kind of Xmas party. Assistant was allowed to yell at the Dr. where the office could hear. One assistant was allowed to be rude to patients.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you hire and keep as employees. especially the lead assistants and even office manager. Help your employees feel more appreciated.

Pacific Dental Services2018-02-19

"For what it is, a great company"

Current Employee - Associate Dentist in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Pacific Dental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dentist can have as much or little to do with the business side as they want/are comfortable. Accepting all insurances makes it great for patients since they don't have to shop around. Specialist in house make for a comprehensive care model realistic.

Cons

As a dentist, it can feel like they are pushing you to be salesy, but no one has ever given me a treatment quota for diagnosing. The focus is on helping you to convince people to do the treatment you have already diagnosed. That is a subtle but important distinction.

Advice to Management

Paying your employees and staff more competitively would make for a more stable office that may help associate dentists stick around longer.

Pacific Dental Services2017-12-04