Palantir Technologies Reviews

Found 386 of over 429 reviews

4.2
Palantir Technologies Co-Founder and CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp
Pros
  • "Smart people who care about the mission(in 35 reviews)

• "Palantir is a place makes the rest of Silicon Valley look like it is working on toy train sets(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Consuming and work life balance can be hard to maintain if you don't stand up for yourself(in 70 reviews)

• "tons of the usual growing pains(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great team

Apr 6, 2021 - Forward Deployed Engineer in Canberra
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting customers and high autonomy

Cons

Some inexperienced global matrix management

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Equity worth nothing

Mar 22, 2020 - Forward Deployed Engineer in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people, (sometimes) interesting problems to solve

Cons

Equity worthless, lots of travel, easy to get stuck on government contracts doing data integrations

5 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Purpose, autonomy & mastery

Aug 25, 2015 - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Transformative projects with customers who matter. A grade employees, driven towards material impact. A very high degree of autonomy awarded to staff.

Cons

Resourcing - there are more opportunities than staff. Sometimes this means staff get stuck with one customer, sometimes it means that ownership can be lacking as staff move through a customer to fight a fire rather than truly fix an issue in a sustainable way. Workforce not especially diverse, despite everyone's efforts to address this. Being in a branch office, it is sometimes hard to divine strategic and tactical vision - conversely we are given wide latitude to chart our own destiny.

8 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0

3 Years, International Office

Aug 18, 2015 -  in Canberra
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'd be hard pressed to find any other organisation that gives you this much scope to define your own growth path, and figure out how and where you can add value to the team and business. Our recruiting process is the bane of my existence, I am constantly frustrated that we can't hire more people because of how particular we are with our requirements - BUT - this is what has built the incredible team I work with now. No dead wood, everyone's a rock star, and I genuinely like spending time with these people. All of them. I know everyone's experience here is different, but if you work hard, are thoughtful about what it is you're doing, and how you're impacting the team - then you generally have a ridiculous amount of opportunities open to you for doing new things. Travel, projects, experiments, working in different areas of the business, building new capability, or working in other offices. The perks and flexibility are great, and do a lot of what their supposed to do - reduce some of the overheads of everyday life admin - allowing you to be more productive.

Cons

We can't hire enough people to meet all the work we have - which means we're all super busy and you have to prioritise like a magician. And it might mean you don't get to work on the thing you are personally attached to because it's not the highest priority. That can suck. But it's a business. We can be too thoughtful/introspective as a company sometimes - which should probably be kept at the "higher" levels - because the trickle down effect is that people end up questioning the priority, validity, strategy of what they're doing constantly, instead of just getting on with it. As a company we're resistant to bringing on people that are just good at managing other people/areas of a business - and engineers generally don't make great people leaders. This is an area there is a lot of work going into to improve, but sometimes it feels we err too heavily away from the traditional routes - some of these things are conventional because they work.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee

Amazing people, great tech, long hours

Jun 12, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

* People are amazing; the hiring quality is out of this world even for the Valley * Projects can be extremely interesting * Tech stack (especially on the Foundry side) is modern and fun to use * The software is real and works unlike most enterprise technology Palantir competes against

Cons

* Work / life balance is highly project dependent. Long hours trending towards brutal if your project is fast-paced or the customer is overly demanding * Your project may not be all that interesting and you'll hear about everyone else doing world changing tech. If your project is uninteresting and has long hours - you can burn out fast. * Some of the Gotham code base is archaic and hard to understand * Palantir changes over time and you'll need to adapt or reinvent yourself if you stay longer than 2 years. This can be fun but stressful and the pace never slows down.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

amazing company, amazing people, not for everyone

Feb 19, 2021 - Deployment Strategist
      Business Outlook

Pros

complete autonomy: it's up to you to decide the kind of company you want Palantir to become and make it in your own image; the same for your work with customers (this is particular to business development (BD)) incredible leadership: the smartest people in the world lead this company; I've met the most strategic geniuses here peers: you learn an incredible amount from your peers sky is the limit: no one will ever limit you from achieving more; the entire company exists to help you increase your impact

Cons

the autonomy + sky is the limit means that only you can decide how much work you want to get done each day; this means many people work extremely hard. you have to learn to manage your own calendar and energy levels. diversity and inclusion is difficult in the tech industry in general... as a cis hetero white male, I'm not the right person to comment on this, but I understand PLTR is far from the ideal. I think it's a great place to work and the people who work here have the best intentions, so I don't think it's worse than other tech companies, but that's not a great excuse.

7 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Great Company

Jul 8, 2021 - Forward Deployed Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing growth opportunities and interesting problems

Cons

Flat structure makes some decisions more political than they need to be

8. 5.0

Best Job Ever

Jun 22, 2021 - Automation Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Brilliant colleagues, fast-paced environment, lots of perks

Cons

Nothing yet! Seriously, nothing yet!

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not for the faint of heart

Jun 22, 2021 - Forward Deployed Engineer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

It pays well, has good benefits, and has interesting work. Don't be a FDE though, be a dev as its very hard to go from FDE -> dev but its easy to go from dev -> FDE

Cons

Arrogant workforce - Internal process anarchy.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Smart folks, fast-paced, and self-driven.

Jul 9, 2020 - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Your coworkers are going to be incredibly competent. I've been here for a year and a half and I haven't yet encountered a coworker who wasn't good at their job. The culture is very fast-paced, sorta feels like early Facebook's "move fast and break things". If you're self-motivated and enjoy ambiguous high-impact problems, Palantir is for you. In all things, Palantir minimizes process. You get to define how things get done, and it's up to you to make it happen. If you enjoy a lot of structure/process, Palantir will probably be really painful.

Cons

The culture is really fast-paced/intense. If you're bad at taking time off/unplugging from work (and most Palantirians are), Palantir won't stop you from overworking. For this reason, there's a good amount of burnout. The culture also is built around being a self-starter. It's not okay to be blocked by other people, and you'll be expected to think outside of the box to solve problems and get yourself unblocked. If you don't like ambiguous/difficult problems, you're going to have a bad time. If you're bad at unplugging from work, you're going to have a bad time.

16 people found this review helpful