Palantir Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated Oct 25, 2019

3.9
Palantir Technologies CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp
Pros
  • "smart people, great work/life balance(in 32 reviews)

• "Palantir is a place makes the rest of Silicon Valley look like it is working on toy train sets(in 18 reviews)

Cons

"Purpose, autonomy & mastery"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Transformative projects with customers who matter. A grade employees, driven towards material impact. A very high degree of autonomy awarded to staff.

Cons

Resourcing - there are more opportunities than staff. Sometimes this means staff get stuck with one customer, sometimes it means that ownership can be lacking as staff move through a customer to fight a fire rather than truly fix an issue in a sustainable way. Workforce not especially diverse, despite everyone's efforts to address this. Being in a branch office, it is sometimes hard to divine strategic and... tactical vision - conversely we are given wide latitude to chart our own destiny.

Palantir Technologies2015-08-26

"3 Years, International Office"

in Canberra

I have been working at Palantir Technologies

Pros

You'd be hard pressed to find any other organisation that gives you this much scope to define your own growth path, and figure out how and where you can add value to the team and business. Our recruiting process is the bane of my existence, I am constantly frustrated that we can't hire more people because of how particular we are with our requirements - BUT - this is what has built the incredible team I work with... now. No dead wood, everyone's a rock star, and I genuinely like spending time with these people. All of them. I know everyone's experience here is different, but if you work hard, are thoughtful about what it is you're doing, and how you're impacting the team - then you generally have a ridiculous amount of opportunities open to you for doing new things. Travel, projects, experiments, working in different areas of the business, building new capability, or working in other offices. The perks and flexibility are great, and do a lot of what their supposed to do - reduce some of the overheads of everyday life admin - allowing you to be more productive.

Cons

We can't hire enough people to meet all the work we have - which means we're all super busy and you have to prioritise like a magician. And it might mean you don't get to work on the thing you are personally attached to because it's not the highest priority. That can suck. But it's a business. We can be too thoughtful/introspective as a company sometimes - which should probably be kept at the "higher" levels -... because the trickle down effect is that people end up questioning the priority, validity, strategy of what they're doing constantly, instead of just getting on with it. As a company we're resistant to bringing on people that are just good at managing other people/areas of a business - and engineers generally don't make great people leaders. This is an area there is a lot of work going into to improve, but sometimes it feels we err too heavily away from the traditional routes - some of these things are conventional because they work.

Advice to Management

If I had to put it somewhere like this I wouldn't be working here.

Palantir Technologies2015-08-19
  3. "Forward Deployed Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Interesting technology -Meaningful work -Opportunity to travel -They do not adjust downwards for Cost of Living from location to location, in terms of base pay

Cons

-Travel can be unpredictable -Lack of leadership

Palantir Technologies2019-10-26
  4. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Product Reliability Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture at Palantir Technologies

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons yet

Palantir Technologies2019-09-22
  5. "Great people"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

- Some of the smartest people you'll ever work with. - Great opportunities to travel and work on a variety of problems. - A lot of people on Glassdoor are saying the pay is low. I disagree, I think it's fair. Company bonuses every year are generous, you get free food all week (breakfast, lunch, dinner), and you can live rent-free if you agree to deploy away from your home country. - Plenty of opportunities to... work from home.

Cons

- Work can sometimes be a bit mundane, even if the problem spaces the company is working in are interesting. - Work life balance can sometimes be a bit rough before deadlines.

Advice to Management

Keep the interview process rigorous and difficult

Palantir Technologies2019-09-03
  6. "Average"

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get more free time..and good environment friendly location

Cons

Average processing time and not looking good food

Palantir Technologies2019-09-05

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Benefits were outstanding - Great people, most were helpful and happy to answer questions

Cons

- Not a great work/life balance (but manageable).

Palantir Technologies2019-08-27
  8. "Good company to work for but intense"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, office perks & benefits

Cons

No work - life balance

Palantir Technologies2019-08-07

"Challenging place to work, in good and bad ways"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

Engineers that are talented both technically and in terms of product intuition, very difficult and important application areas.

Cons

Working long hours is necessary for job advancement. Difficult to speak about your technical work publicly, which makes it hard to be part of the broader engineering community.

Palantir Technologies2019-07-30

"Toxic, political company growing on the backs of exploited new hires"

Former Employee - Forward Deployed Engineer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- A lot of freedom very quickly - Good benefits

Cons

- No product or commercial strategy. Palantir pitches itself as a product company when it is really a tech consulting firm - No salary evolution beyond the 20% increase given to you after 18 months. Major salary differences between people occupying the same role. - If you work here, you are just a resource. Palantir’s concern will be to maximize that resource. You will have no growth path beyond the initial freedom... given to you. Your learning curve will be steep in the beginning like at any consulting firm, but it will bottom out as you go from project to project without any career advancement - Lack of hierarchy does not equate to meritocracy. Instead, it creates a toxic, political culture where people elbow eachother to advance. Success is determined by what certain people in the company think of you. There is no feedback structure and therefore advancement is not based on merit, but instead on politics - Terrible place for women to work. You will be seen as emotional if you speak out against sexism or bullying

Advice to Management

- Hire some adults - Define a real product strategy instead of trying to be the platform that does everything for everyone. This inhibits scale and you will remain a consulting firm to deploy - Create a real meritocracy by introducing feedback and promoting based on that feedback - Create a safe space for women to raise concerns instead of judging them as emotional

Palantir Technologies2019-08-27