PayScale Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.1
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They push how important it is to have a good work/life balance, support their employees leaving work for dr" (in 22 reviews)

• "Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "The sales team is pushed to make quota (not uncommon), but is not held accountable to anything they sell" (in 4 reviews)

• "There are growing pains at times, sometimes the company is reactive instead of pro-active" (in 3 reviews)

"Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great environment for learning
    -Helpful and supportive managers and upper level developers
    -Really awesome and inclusive work environment, being a woman in tech can be difficult at other companies but I feel I am truly respected and rewarded for my work here.
    -Fun place to work!!
    -We really have a great community and everyone has interesting and different backgrounds which brings interesting viewpoints to the table.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that the building is a little far from lunch options, and working right next to the stadium has its trade offs.

"Transparent culture, supportive boss, interesting work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am one of those people that talks about how I love where I work a lot. I am a woman and I work in the engineering department at PayScale. I have so many good things to say about this company that I'll just list them below.
    - Transparency at all levels
    - Supportive boss (also female) that is constantly looking to help me grow my career
    - Interesting problems to solve at work
    - Intelligent coworkers who are willing to drop whatever they're doing to help if you ask for it
    - Fun culture - the usual tech things like happy hours, fido fridays, and decorating contests for Halloween, and then the more unusual things like unlimited PTO (which they really mean!)
    - Great benefits package
    - Not many meetings, people respect each other's time, and 'work from home wednesdays'
    - Open discussion about being a female in tech, how to recruit more females, how to support each other, etc.
    - No one works long hours (unless they're just really excited about what they're working on)

I could keep going, but I'll stop here to keep it short.

Cons

Trying to rack my brain to think of some... lower salary than some of the other big tech companies in the area (*cough* amazon) but when you consider that pay is a whole package, it can really compete. This would include the unlimited PTO, the good benefits package, the freedom to work from home, the good work hours, the variable bonuses... so even when I got a competing offer from that other tech company, it was really no question for me when PayScale's offer came in too.

Advice to Management

We don't need as many silly videos at the company meetings :)

3. "Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - SDR in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - SDR in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team environment and collaboration
    Managers are accessible and set you up for success
    Opportunities for growth

Cons

Work load fluctuates, can be very busy at times and struggling to stay busy at others.

"Really fun place to work with great potential."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Harmony: PayScale’s unlimited PTO helps you be there for you little boy’s science presentation, or your aging mother's doctor appointment. Family is important to PayScale.

Hack Days: Have an interesting idea you want to try out, PayScale does hack days ever quarter for you to do whatever you want. Maybe it’s a side project idea, a funny Slack app, or something to weigh the beer kegs. It doesn’t matter, if you’re learning, having fun, and testing new ideas out, PayScale got your back. Everyone in the company is part of it. There’s judging at the end, and who knows, your idea it might become a feature down the road.

Friendly People: PayScale is more than a company, it’s people with a common goal, focused on the customer. But it doesn’t stop there. There’s weekly and monthly get togethers to just hang out and celebrate the wins and learn from the losses.

Leadership Training: Were not talking about some 3-hour online course. This is a full multiday event, with qualified trainers, and small groups. Everyone in the company is encouraged to participate and while the classes may be full when you first get there, given enough time, you’ll have the chance to learn career changing skills.

Best Company to Work For: Mixed feelings here. PayScale is a great company to work for. I just don’t buy into the constant need to win the popularity contest. Focus on the business. Focus on the customers. Let your revenue and low turnover determine if you’re a great company with a great product. That’s really the true indication of greatness, not some ranking in a magazine. That said, it’s pretty fun to work for PayScale.

Beer: Free beer Friday!!!

Cons

Compensation Practices: For a company that is about Human Capital, internal practices need some improvement. OKR calculations are confusing if not totally subjective, managers juice skillsets to hit the pay range they are looking for individual employees (actually witness this happen).

Pay Rate/Bands: I have no idea how they come up with the figures. They say it’s based on market data they collected but recent internal data exposure has made a few developers question the large discrepancy among senior individuals. This has recently cost the company 4 senior level developers. Managers in different groups have their own pay range they decide on making one group paid more than others.

Data Security: There was a data security breach where a few individuals accessed the internal pay data of all PayScale employees. This caused a lot of stress for a few individuals. The problem is, there is no data security around internal access from the engineering team members into company collected pay data. This seems to be OK with senior management, but caused a lot of grief that could have been avoided with some simple security practices.

Pace: On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being aggressive, I would rate PayScale about a 5. Not that this is bad, but casual observation makes it obvious that the pace tends to be slower than most places. I would say the average hours for employees is 10-5.

Culture: There's something here, but somethings missing as well. Hard to put a finger on it but just seems different. With the loss of 4 senior opinionated developers, this may be working itself out. Management recognizes it and working on it.

"Have had an amazing onboarding experience"

Current Employee - Compensation Professional
    Current Employee - Compensation Professional

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company was named the #1 Seattle Large Company to work at for a ton of reasons. From my personal experience, what makes them so amazing is the group of people they have assembled; the work-life balance; and how open they are to new ideas.

Cons

The location is a bit difficult to get to via public transport.

6. "Salary"

Current Employee - PMO in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - PMO in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good but needs improvement and better opportunity

Cons

Salary needs to be better

Advice to Management

Nothing as of now

"Commendable company philosophy but questionable strategies"

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I believe in the company's mission of bringing transparency to pay practices.

Cons

Very sales driven, business/dev strategies that seem immature/half-baked for an organization of this size and age.

Advice to Management

Focus on scale, allow impactful (but less glamorous) projects to be completed more than 70% before moving onto the next flashy idea. Commit more developer resources to improving the products that are used by the most customers to avoid dreaded "workarounds."

"Couldn't be happier here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

(written from the Seattle engineering department perspective)

We just got voted the #1 large company to work for in Seattle for a reason. Well, many reasons.

Excellent benefits. Good location near the stadiums. Company sponsored happy hours (most) Fridays. Team events. Plenty of free food -- probably not as much as the larger tech companies, but let's be honest, you're not gonna eat that much anyway. There's a huge emphasis on learning and experimentation with new tech. We host hack days (hackathons) once every quarter.

Work/life balance is a large part of the culture. PayScale wants you to have a life outside of work. I would like to address something that someone said in a previous review: "If you’re a developer looking to work 30-35 hours a week and don’t aspire to more it may be a good fit, but if you’re driven by results, you’ll find yourself underpaid and undervalued." If this kind of arrogance resonates with you, or you tend to think less of your own teammates simply because they don't work as many hours as you do, then I would not recommend working here. If you're a developer who cares about having fun building great products with great people and not working 50-60 hours a week and expecting to be worshiped for it, then you may be a good fit and you should totally apply. I'll buy you a coffee.

Which brings me to the reason why we probably got voted #1, and the reason I've stayed at PayScale as long as I have: the people. We respect each other, and each others' work. We care about each others' success and feelings, not just about results. We have fun. One team has a rum club where they taste different rums. One team plays a lot of board games. Some of my best friends are my coworkers.

Cons

Some people might say that PayScale doesn't pay as well as the bigger companies, and that may be true. I wouldn't know. But you know what? I'm happy with how I'm compensated. And that's what matters.

To again quote a previous review: "The homeless problem in Pioneer Square continues to get worse. Homeless are often found asleep in the doorway to the office, and are arguments in the street out front of the office are more frequent." Yes, there are homeless people, but how is this PayScale's problem? This is an issue Seattle is addressing everywhere in the city.

"Coming up on 5 years and wouldn't work anywhere else"

Current Employee - Senior Manager In Customer Success in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager In Customer Success in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm coming up on my 5th year at PayScale and while I don't want to pretend every day is sunshine and roses, it is about as close to that as is possible. I've had incredible career growth here both professionally and financially and when I started feeling the urge to look for something new, I realized I'm just not ready to leave. Let me just put it this way, it is incredibly unlikely that you wouldn't be extremely happy working here.

Cons

If you like stable predictable work, you shouldn't work here. It's definitely a roller coaster of change so if that's not what you're into, you probably will struggle here.

Advice to Management

Keep being you. We like you.

"Look past the hype"

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For many this may well be one of the “best places to work” in Washington, but I’d look past the veneer before jumping in.

That said, the company definitely invests in employee morale - happy hours, fido Friday, etc. Benefits — medical, time off, 401k match, etc, are good overall, especially if you’re a (new) parent. The people here are friendly.

Cons

Pay here is definitely below-market and inconsistent. If you’re a developer looking to work 30-35 hours a week and don’t aspire to more it may be a good fit, but if you’re driven by results, you’ll find yourself underpaid and undervalued. The way to get promoted and/or paid fairly seems to be to get a competing offer or threaten to leave — sad given the company’s core business.

The company speaks of bringing your “whole self” to work, but if your beliefs or politics don’t align with the company’s considerable liberal/progressive tilt, you’ll find open hostility from some and will quickly learn it’s not a good idea to do so.

No employer-provided parking or parking stipend, so expect to pay considerably on game days/days with events at CenturyLink (up to $50 for the day)

PayScale Response

12 Jul 2018 – Chief Engineering Officer

Though I’m saddened that you are not enjoying your time at PayScale, I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feelings. We do have a strong culture here that we are proud of, which is why... More