PayScale Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.3
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Benefits, Work/ Life Balance, Remote Work, Unlimited PTO" (in 24 reviews)

• "Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unlimited PTO is a recruiting tactic that doesn't necessarily apply to the sales team" (in 6 reviews)

• "This would include the unlimited PTO, the good benefits package, the freedom to work from home, the good work hours, the variable bonuses" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to learn as a software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* lots of talented and smart engineers to learn from
    * opportunities to work up and down the stack
    * hack days to explore new ideas
    * smart business model
    * since it's a compensation company, very clever about ways to compensate employees (week off July 4, pop-up shop at the office, free food, conferences). Very in tune with employee needs.
    * up to speed on cutting edge technology
    * willing to spend money on fancy tools for engineers
    * metrics driven and constantly learning about users through statistical tests
    * positive and collaborative company culture
    * earnest / ethical commitment to having accurate data and managing data properly
    * commitment to diversity (based on our own research about implicit bias, gender wage gap, etc.)

Cons

* search engine optimization is highly competitive and it's hard to outrank some of the big players (including Google itself providing users with salary info). Also, the Google search algorithm is a constantly moving target so it's hard to feel like you have any control over it.
    * as with most companies, some level of legacy code to deal with

Advice to Management

* continue to cultivate such a positive and pleasant culture
    * remain committed to diversity
    * continue to find ways to lower reliance on search engine optimization

12 Jul 2018 – Chief Engineering Officer

Wow…thank you for sharing this! Our leadership teams works hard with our people team to make very deliberate choices about investments in compensation, benefits, training, culture, performance... More

2. "Customer Success - My home away from home"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Always striving to improve and become greater for our customers (aka if you get bored easily there is no way you could get bored here)
    - Great coworkers (mostly). Everyone really cares about each other and our customers. It is pretty great.
    - Our people team is just amazing. Erika especially makes everyone feel so welcomed and loved.
    - My team is amazing. I can lean on them when I need to. <3

Cons

- Sometimes people need to just breathe. If something doesn't go perfectly it isn't the end of the world. We need to get better at being flexible for unpredictable situations. This is CS it is the name of the game.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Executive, SMB in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive, SMB in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- PayScale walks the walk with compensation and benefits
    - Commission structure is motivating and fair
    - Super positive environment where wins are celebrated frequently
    - Huge potential for career growth
    - Lot's of resources available (sales software, hardware, sales coaches)
    - Great training and onboarding process
    - Hard work is appreciated and rewarded
    - Independence week
    - Awesome coworkers
    - Lot's of nice-to-have perks (soda water, coffee, meals, snacks, etc)

Cons

- Work from home options could be more flexible (seems to be discouraged)
    - Departments could be more integrated
    - Unlimited PTO thing is a bit of a gimmick. Expectations can vary wildly depending on manager. I would prefer a clear number of PTO days per year.

Advice to Management

Continue with any efforts to cross pollinate between departments in terms of discussion and understanding.

"Frustrating experience"

I worked at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Nice coworkers
    - Balanced work hours
    - Company-paid health insurance

Cons

- Pay shaming (ironically)
    - Questionable data accuracy
    - Petty and juvenile internal politics
    - Superficial Kool-Aid culture lifted from "hip tech companies"
    - Stagnant products with engineering that lags behind industry best practices
    - Inexperienced middle management entrenched in "this is how we've always done it" — they micromanage, constantly change expectations and requirements, and have virtually no communication with their direct reports. Managers clearly seem to feel threatened by competent employees.
    - HR/management claims to value honesty and "bringing your whole self to work," but told multiple people to stop voicing their opinions on more than one occasion.
    - "Unlimited" PTO is pushed as a major selling point, but really translates into the average two weeks (except you can't cash it out or use it up when you leave - which is not unique to PayScale, but think twice if you consider this a perk).

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and be transparent with employees. Stay on the offensive rather than the defensive when it comes to the competition. Don't push random perks in hopes of retaining people — culture can't be forced.

6 Feb 2019 – Chief Engineering Officer

I’m sorry that your experience at PayScale didn’t meet your expectations…I truly am. Fortunately, most employees don’t share your views on our culture, benefits, products and company. We leverage... More

5. "Good SaaS sales job"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Access to the latest enablement tech
    - Friendly culture
    - Clean, robust Salesforce

Cons

- Unlimited vacation policy but discourage vacations
    - Clique

Advice to Management

- Train managers
    - Pay non- sales & eng jobs more money

"Great Place to work overall"

I worked at PayScale full-time

Pros

Fun culture, awesome additional benefits, room to grow, good managers depending on team

Cons

Hard to get promoted if you don't fully drink the cool-aid and become friends with the clique. Base salary is low to the market - they preach it is all about total cash.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career progression for Sales is clear and attainable
    Leadership across all departments is exceptional, but Sales leadership and the CEO stand out.
    The generous time off policy allows for freedom to take care of family responsibilities or emergencies.
    Base pay is competitive.

Cons

Not a huge Fido Friday guy
    Data is phenomenal, but the tools could use improvement

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and improving!

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was fun, the product is very mission-driven, and the training was very good. There is a lot of fluff in the SaaS world but it was a pleasure to have something to sell that is truly contributing to the betterment of the business-world.

I also felt like I was at home whenever I came to the office. Feeling like you can be yourself all the time is the ultimate perk and benefit; it meant more to me than a ping pong table, free fruit or catered lunches on the last day of the month.

Cons

It had it's clique'ish tendencies. In many cases it seemed like there was the
    "in" group and then everyone else.

Sometimes that part of Seattle can be a little rough, promotions did sometimes feel like they weren't competed for as evenly as they could have been. Within a couple of years of PayScale being acquired by Warburg Pincus it felt like the biggest priority was filling the floor with a maximum number of salespeople and I think it played to the detriment of the team and ultimately the company.

Advice to Management

In a really small company, having similar people in leadership can be a good place to start because you're moving at lightning speed. However, after reaching 200, 300, 400 employees - diversity of thought is needed at the top and in the middle to really maximize the chess pieces you have on the board.

You're selling a high-end product in a very competitive market that has gotten diluted by competition that is undercutting you at every corner; be flexible and give the power to the AE's to be strategic in competitive situations on-the-fly.

99% of the time I felt like decisions made in management were ethical, had value and were the right decisions. Keep gut-checking in this way and as long as you believe in your heart of hearts that you're doing things the right way for the customer and the employee, you will continue doing really well.

9. "Account Executive"

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Great culture, company perks, and cool office

Cons

Work from home only available for select sales employees. Unlimited PTO is a recruiting tactic that doesn't necessarily apply to the sales team

29 Oct 2018 – Senior Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage our employees to look at our Paid Time Off as a complete package. PayScale’s paid time off package equates to about 6 weeks or 29 paid days off annually... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, emphasis on work life balance, exciting product, fun atmosphere, open and welcoming culture. I've worked at many other places, and I know there is no perfect company. But despite its' flaws, honestly there is no place I'd rather be.

Cons

The sales team has had a lot of challenges with poor leadership - these problems trickle down to the customer support teams. New Management in place seems to be working better. Usual growing pains you would expect. They tend to promote from within which is great but leads to management staff that is inexperienced. I have noticed an improvement from leadership emphasizing management training and we are moving in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employee feedback! When we feel heard and see you make steps to address challenges, it goes a long way.

12 Sep 2018 – Director of Sales, Mid-Market

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate it. We will continue to focus on growing our internal sales talent and will continue to prepare our team to be leaders at the organization, or... More