PayScale Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.6
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They push how important it is to have a good work/life balance, support their employees leaving work for dr (in 21 reviews)

• Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • They force the sales team to make a zillion cold calls and pressure people to take a meeting (in 5 reviews)

• There are growing pains at times, sometimes the company is reactive instead of pro-active (in 3 reviews)

"New hire, who is so happy her friends are jealous."

Current Employee - Client Operations Team in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Operations Team in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this company. Seriously, this is the happiest I've ever been. If you can get a job at PayScale, don't hesitate.

Cons

I haven't found any cons yet.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being so progressive, and valuing your employees.

"Great for working parents"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at PayScale for over 2 years now on the sales team. From my 20 years of work experience, PayScale is by far the best employer I've worked for. There is work/life balance. If you are successful on the sales team there is the opportunity to make good money. Even if you are not successful, you make a very competitive salary. I have young kids and I'm able to work early to get home early, I exercise in the middle of the day, and like the people I work with. We have it really good here, I believe in the company's vision and think it is going great places.

Cons

The company is young, people can be entitled when it comes to pay and culture.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, keep investing in your people and working on improving diversity.

3. "Account Exec"

Pros

Cool people. Cool Culture. Nice Location

Cons

Typical woes of a company who's trying to grow 20% year over year.

"Nepotism at its finest"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid work/life balance. Never have to worry about being out of your chair to get to medical appointments or picking up your kid. Compensation is in the ballpark for Seattle. Most of the group is welcoming and have good intentions.

Cons

Nepotism is rampant and it starts at the top. When the company moved locations, the contractor who "won" the bid to develop the office, just so happened to be the spouse of a senior exec. Handsome windfall for the family, however, not a good look. Very hard to get traction on any issues unless you are part of a small group that has been at the company for that past 7-10 years. Many of the sales team issues are a result of promoting decent sales reps into management positions , when they had zero experience managing people let then having to manage peers. New CSO will hopefully get a handle on this.

Advice to Management

Drain the swamp, over invest in the product/tech/AI - customers don't care that its a cool place to work, they want the product to work.

"Sales, meh!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company does genuinely care about their employees. I have not noticed any racism in my time here as posted by other reviewers. I mean, I really believe PayScale hires the best person for the job. There are a lot of company and teams events that keep people as involved as they want to be. Benefits are great and there are a ton of really nice people at this company in general. If you are a sports or concert fan, then the location is great as the stadiums are across the street and the company allows to you to hang out pre and post event with friends. They did just raise the base salary for sales people to get a bit more competitive with the Seattle landscape. Hired a new Chief Sales Officer to take sales to the next level and she has been great to work with. Sales does have a great work life balance if you get in early, you are home early.

Cons

I will only speak for the sales side of things but it really depends on who your manager is and what team you are on. I would personally avoid large sales as that segment is such in a state of flux. For some, you can be very successful here both in money and career progression. This company is built on the idea of favoritism though. I have seen bad performing people keep their job for years because they are liked while newer people are never given a chance to succeed. They are put on PIP or fired before they really grow into the role and aren't given the same advantages as the managers' favorites. There is one team that has lost 8 people in less than a year ( manager is not held accountable at all ) and turnover is becoming an issue. If you are young and want to get into sales, I would give PayScale a try. If you are mid career or senior, then it would be a hard pass. Also, it seems like a lot of the outside sales people they bring in fail because they actually have an original thought from their past experiences. From what I have heard and seen the large segment has waaayyyyyy to many reps, so people are literally sitting around doing fake activity all day to look busy. In-bound leads are handed to top performers instead of round robin to give a confidence boost to others that need some measure of success. There was a good size group that went to President's club which is a great perk, but you will have months were half the sales floor has nothing to close at the end of the month and it is demoralizing. There is a measure of the mean girl sorority types who work here that talk bad about their employees in front of everyone and think that it's ok or the norm. Ummm, it is not!

Advice to Management

Stop blaming the reps when things are slow and numbers are down. Start looking at your rep volumes and managers who enable an atmosphere of favoritism. If you start listening to ALL of your reps, give them ALL a chance to succeed and shake up of middle management, I think the results will speak for themselves. You have a great core of people there that all want to succeed.

6. "AWESOME"

I have been working at PayScale (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at PayScale it is AWESOME!

Cons

Open floor plan can be kind of obnoxious.

"Current employee"

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

PTO plan is nice because it's a form of "unlimited PTO" which allows flexibility when needed

Cons

Leadership plays favorites. They pick and chose what behavior they will tolerate and are very inconsistent. Managers encourage excessive drinking/partying and sexual flirtations. Those that do not participate are looked down on and managers are never reprimanded after complaints are filed. Some managers have multiple complaints and continue to get promoted within the company.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Get a fresh set of professional leaders in the door. Treat every employee equally.

"My experience as an AE"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at PayScale as an Account Executive for about two years.

Since day one, I've felt like my manager and sales director have done their best to make sure that I had a chance to be successful, and I truly mean that. I can only speak to my experience and not to those of my colleagues, but, as an Asian-American minority, I have never felt, even a little bit, any hint of racism. It's hard to imagine our sales director, knowing him to be the person that he is, would tolerate any form of it.

In regards to the sales environment - I've worked in bad sales environments and PayScale couldn't be further from that. As a sales professional, I understand that the effort that I put in every day may not show up immediately, but I see that it can lead to success. If it were the case that we were likely to miss quota and it was an unattainable target because we spend our time working with nothing but stale leads or because we work with dis-empowered buyers for a nice-to-have product, then we wouldn't have as many AEs regularly achieving and surpassing their targets like they have and continue to do.

There are plenty of people finding success here and I believe that if you put the work in, being an AE at PayScale can be a rewarding sales career.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Not an ethical company"

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are really good if you are a single person with no kids. They have a good 401k program.

Cons

PayScale has made haste moves to grow over the past few years and has acquired and merged with companies who didn't quite realize what they were getting into. Now they are trying to keep all of these customers happy but they're failing.

Most of the management team go out drinking regularly. Employees get black out drunk together and think it's funny when they are still drunk the next day at work. Many drink or smoke weed on the job. Company events like the Halloween party and Presidents Club are just a way for everyone to get as drunk as possible on the investor's dime. It's like a clique-y frat party with an unlimited check book from the investors. They discriminate against women and minorities. They’re dealing with a few harassment cases right now but still have yet to let go of the offenders.

They force the sales team to make a zillion cold calls and pressure people to take a meeting. They record every call but don't tell the people on the other end of the line. The sales staff barely understand the products and promise anything the customer wants just to get the deal done. The only reason they have some good reviews on here is because they beg the staff that are in the "inner circle" to go out here and give 5 star ratings.

Advice to Management

Work on getting some true "leaders" in the building.

"Senior Account Executive"

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Work life balance, quota clubs, fido fridays, great employees..just overall amazing company to work for!

Cons

They don't pay for transportation, not much career progression for sales