PayScale Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.9
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They push how important it is to have a good work/life balance, support their employees leaving work for dr (in 19 reviews)

• Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • There are growing pains at times, sometimes the company is reactive instead of pro-active (in 3 reviews)

• The sales team is pushed to make quota (not uncommon), but is not held accountable to anything they sell (in 3 reviews)

"Senior Account Executive"

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Work life balance, quota clubs, fido fridays, great employees..just overall amazing company to work for!

Cons

They don't pay for transportation, not much career progression for sales

"Customer Success"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Collaboration. My teammates are not just my colleagues but some of my closest friends and comrades. We come from all different walks of life and enjoy different things, but share a passion for our work, customers, and company.
    -Leaders that listen. Yes, there are politics. This is part of any business. But our leadership is far more transparent around pay, policy, philosophy & culture than any company I've worked for in the past, and being in the business of pay and transparency I know for a fact that PayScale is ahead of the curve when it comes to innovation & communication
    -Opportunity : the idea is to work UP - with opportunity to explore what type of job and career is best fit; leaders all the way up to C level want people to be where they are the best fit and adding the most value. This means that ambitious employees with the passion to do so can literally carve their own path.
    -Openness to change: the organization has recently expanded to include remote employees all over the country.
    -Culture!!! We have events like Third Thursday to recognize new employees and celebrate tenured employees. It's not just about happy hours, it's about valuable time together as a group. Our People team works tirelessly to keep these events compelling, flexible and appealing to many different groups of people
    -Trust: Particularly in my department (CS) I feel empowered to make my own decisions, try new things, and own my own success
    -Recognition: This is a continual effort for PayScale; how can people be recognized/rewarded in a way that is meaningful to them? This is something leadership thinks about constantly.

Cons

Common growing pains for any fast moving SAAS organization. This is not the place for someone looking to be told exactly what to do - rather, the culture is to promote self learning and accountability. The constant change can be a con to some, and at time does pose challenges, but solving these challenges is the reward to me.

Yes, there is young management in some departments but this stems from the intent to promote internally. Again, con to some, not to me personally.

I hope to see continued efforts towards better cross department collaboration.

At times, things are only 'tested' for a very short period of time so it can be difficult to see if initiatives/efforts are paying off - feel we are getting better at committing to longer timelines of trying to things, so hope to see continued improvement around this

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and open, continue to empower your employees through this transparency, and continue to be open to feedback. Thank you for what you do!

"Best Company I have worked for"

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been in sales for close to 20 years - I've worked at Fortune 100 tech companies, startups, and even one large and well known non-profit. PayScale is by far the best company I have worked for. Let's start with their product- we get to sell an amazing product that actually benefits our customer. We not only sell a great product but have an amazing customer success team that ensure our customers use our software effectively. We as sales people have the flexibility to create packages, adjust pricing (at times) and work with our prospective customers to find the right solution for them. Our managers support us- they give us solutions, advice, dedicate time during, after, and before work to ensure our success and in turn, our customer's success.
    PayScale understands their sales people. They work hard to pay well and praise well. Admittedly the base pay is not the highest, but any real sales person understands that a base is minimum and sales is about bonuses, commissions, and incentives- PayScale makes sure we have all of the tools we need to hit our quota and make money. And we can make amazing money if we work hard enough.
    PayScale managers put together awesome incentives- team lunches, getaways, President's Club, monthly and quarterly celebrations, Seahawk shopping and so much more.
    Usually sales environments are dog eat dog - not PayScale. Each team seems to be balanced well and so supportive- every sale is celebrated at the time of closing- at times we carry the person around and celebrate their successes. We share best practices, congratulate successes and reassure one another when we experience disappointment.
    The managers work hard to help in any way without being micro-managers. They push how important it is to have a good work/life balance, support their employees leaving work for dr. appointments or sick children.
    The training was great, we have access to marketing material, open doors to other departments, and constant help from anyone in the company- all the way to the CEO Mike. I love this company.

Cons

Thus far (in the last year I've been employed) the only issue that I have seen is location. Its an AMAZING location in many ways- so much fun when there are games, close to everything to walk to, but it can be hard to find reasonably priced parking. With that being said, its maybe 10 minute walk from the train station, the stadium is only $8 parking when there are no events, and every company in Seattle struggles with the same thing.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Department matters!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This truly is a fun place to work. The company clearly values its employees and wants them to enjoy working here, and also wants to ensure employees mingle and get to know each other. I've not worked any other place that invests so much in this -- "morale" events, happy hours, fido friday, third thursday. Lots of chances to meet and get together with people you don't work with on a day to day basis.

People are very friendly in my experience, and easy to work with. I've not observed any ridiculous politics. Lots of growth opportunities here and fun work to do from a product perspective.

The gripes here on GlassDoor seem to be very department-specific, so take that into consideration when reading. The engineering org is full of friendly, smart, and content (if not happy) people, from my observation. Management there seems to genuinely care about its people. Not sure if there are just a few disgruntled folks, or other departments have significant issues?

Cons

Like many places in Seattle, if you're not hard-left politically you're going to be an outsider in many casual conversations. I've found that worse here than elsewhere, though -- folks are less reserved when making derisive comments about different political beliefs. The company's 'official' positions appear to be pretty far left as well.

Pay is a bit low compared to other tech companies in Seattle, but competitive. Lack of parking/transportation stipend is unfortunate, given the location and realities of commuting to CenturyLink

Advice to Management

Make sure minority opinions aren't being silenced.

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Great culture and innovative solutions.

Cons

Start up mentality can get in the way of professional momentum.

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been in sales for quite some time, spending the majority of that in a completely different industry. PayScale is a creative and innovative company, willing to try new things and being completely adaptable should the strategies not take. Everyone that works here is given an ample chance to succeed. It’s not an easy sale and becoming proficient in our offerings can take quite some time. Once you do past that hump, this is the place to be. With very generous compensation packages, great benefits and 401k match, this is by far one of the best companies I’ve ever worked for. The CEO is completely approachable just like your really cool uncle.

Cons

It’s a hard sale and not everyone succeeds. What’s disappointing is when those that don’t succeed start pointing fingers, instead of looking inward. Parking is pricey.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing.

"One of the most Racist Companies in Seattle"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at PayScale (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO (4 weeks at a time)

Cons

If you are a person of color save yourself the trouble, disappointment and heartache. What is most upsetting about this company is its claim to be different. Most PoCs know that working in corporate America is challenging, there is often implicit as well as explicit bias and it is often expected but for a company that sells equity well one would expect something a little different. The constant micro-aggression are expected but the explicit favoritism and unfair disadvantages placed on PoC is, I don't even have words.

The pay is crap which is ironic for a company again that sells fair pay and equity. If you appreciate the culture of all white fraternity house then this is the ideal place (the all white sorority sisters fall in place as well). If you are looking for growth career development and respect, I would look otherwise.

P.s. You may read this and think wow, this person is really angry. Yes I am very angry. No one should have to be treated the way I was by this employer. PayScale is capitalism at its worst, or maybe I should say best.

Advice to Management

Hire actual managers not just watch dogs.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When you are hitting your target goals, the compensation is fantastic!

Cons

Very political. If you want to climb the ladder, you have to be very close to the the hiring managers. Friends, girlfriends, husbands/wives, etc. --- get the jobs, regardless of qualifications. Most of the management staff is very inexperienced.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are approachable, friendly and genuinely want to help each other

Benefits are good such as healthcare and unlimited PTO

The executive team values their employees

You get to offer a product that really does have a HUGE impact on businesses

Fido Fridays!!!!

Competitive Pay

You will meet a ton of interesting and outgoing people

Cons

Hard to get promoted, beers after work or dating someone in the org helps foster career mobility faster than anything else

Very political at times

Internal groups and products are always changing (not necessarily a con though)

Daily parking is expensive

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and I hope your org continues to grow with more innovative products & initiatives. You guys were great!

"Bored"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Work life balance, friendly people

Cons

Technical debt, jaded leadership, misallocated talent, stagnant decision making, unclear career trajectory

Advice to Management

- don't keep trying the same tired strategies if they don't work
    - Open the room to questions and dialogue from outside your experience. Heard a lot of veterans sharing sarcasm and jaded views. This makes a culture that is challenging for new hires to navigate and ask questions.
    - when expanding, don't throw gruntwork on folks to keep em busy. At the very least, mix it up
    - don't talk about all the exciting work the future holds - who knows when that day will come?Invest in the present and what's relevant now.