PayScale Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.2
PayScale President & CEO Mike Metzger
Mike Metzger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They push how important it is to have a good work/life balance, support their employees leaving work for dr" (in 23 reviews)

• "Great people, feel like I am doing the right thing by our clients as the product is AMAZING" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unlimited PTO is a recruiting tactic that doesn't necessarily apply to the sales team" (in 6 reviews)

• "As with any growing company, there are growing pains" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work overall"

I worked at PayScale full-time

Pros

Fun culture, awesome additional benefits, room to grow, good managers depending on team

Cons

Hard to get promoted if you don't fully drink the cool-aid and become friends with the clique. Base salary is low to the market - they preach it is all about total cash.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career progression for Sales is clear and attainable
    Leadership across all departments is exceptional, but Sales leadership and the CEO stand out.
    The generous time off policy allows for freedom to take care of family responsibilities or emergencies.
    Base pay is competitive.

Cons

Not a huge Fido Friday guy
    Data is phenomenal, but the tools could use improvement

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and improving!

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was fun, the product is very mission-driven, and the training was very good. There is a lot of fluff in the SaaS world but it was a pleasure to have something to sell that is truly contributing to the betterment of the business-world.

I also felt like I was at home whenever I came to the office. Feeling like you can be yourself all the time is the ultimate perk and benefit; it meant more to me than a ping pong table, free fruit or catered lunches on the last day of the month.

Cons

It had it's clique'ish tendencies. In many cases it seemed like there was the
    "in" group and then everyone else.

Sometimes that part of Seattle can be a little rough, promotions did sometimes feel like they weren't competed for as evenly as they could have been. Within a couple of years of PayScale being acquired by Warburg Pincus it felt like the biggest priority was filling the floor with a maximum number of salespeople and I think it played to the detriment of the team and ultimately the company.

Advice to Management

In a really small company, having similar people in leadership can be a good place to start because you're moving at lightning speed. However, after reaching 200, 300, 400 employees - diversity of thought is needed at the top and in the middle to really maximize the chess pieces you have on the board.

You're selling a high-end product in a very competitive market that has gotten diluted by competition that is undercutting you at every corner; be flexible and give the power to the AE's to be strategic in competitive situations on-the-fly.

99% of the time I felt like decisions made in management were ethical, had value and were the right decisions. Keep gut-checking in this way and as long as you believe in your heart of hearts that you're doing things the right way for the customer and the employee, you will continue doing really well.

4. "Account Executive"

I have been working at PayScale full-time

Pros

Great culture, company perks, and cool office

Cons

Work from home only available for select sales employees. Unlimited PTO is a recruiting tactic that doesn't necessarily apply to the sales team

29 Oct 2018 – Senior Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage our employees to look at our Paid Time Off as a complete package. PayScale’s paid time off package equates to about 6 weeks or 29 paid days off annually... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, emphasis on work life balance, exciting product, fun atmosphere, open and welcoming culture. I've worked at many other places, and I know there is no perfect company. But despite its' flaws, honestly there is no place I'd rather be.

Cons

The sales team has had a lot of challenges with poor leadership - these problems trickle down to the customer support teams. New Management in place seems to be working better. Usual growing pains you would expect. They tend to promote from within which is great but leads to management staff that is inexperienced. I have noticed an improvement from leadership emphasizing management training and we are moving in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employee feedback! When we feel heard and see you make steps to address challenges, it goes a long way.

12 Sep 2018 – Director of Sales, Mid-Market

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate it. We will continue to focus on growing our internal sales talent and will continue to prepare our team to be leaders at the organization, or... More

"Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great environment for learning
    -Helpful and supportive managers and upper level developers
    -Really awesome and inclusive work environment, being a woman in tech can be difficult at other companies but I feel I am truly respected and rewarded for my work here.
    -Fun place to work!!
    -We really have a great community and everyone has interesting and different backgrounds which brings interesting viewpoints to the table.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that the building is a little far from lunch options, and working right next to the stadium has its trade offs.

20 Aug 2018 – Chief Engineering Officer

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I'm so happy that you are enjoying your role at PayScale. I really believe in the expression "you have to see it before you can be it," so I... More

"Transparent culture, supportive boss, interesting work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am one of those people that talks about how I love where I work a lot. I am a woman and I work in the engineering department at PayScale. I have so many good things to say about this company that I'll just list them below.
    - Transparency at all levels
    - Supportive boss (also female) that is constantly looking to help me grow my career
    - Interesting problems to solve at work
    - Intelligent coworkers who are willing to drop whatever they're doing to help if you ask for it
    - Fun culture - the usual tech things like happy hours, fido fridays, and decorating contests for Halloween, and then the more unusual things like unlimited PTO (which they really mean!)
    - Great benefits package
    - Not many meetings, people respect each other's time, and 'work from home wednesdays'
    - Open discussion about being a female in tech, how to recruit more females, how to support each other, etc.
    - No one works long hours (unless they're just really excited about what they're working on)

I could keep going, but I'll stop here to keep it short.

Cons

Trying to rack my brain to think of some... lower salary than some of the other big tech companies in the area (*cough* amazon) but when you consider that pay is a whole package, it can really compete. This would include the unlimited PTO, the good benefits package, the freedom to work from home, the good work hours, the variable bonuses... so even when I got a competing offer from that other tech company, it was really no question for me when PayScale's offer came in too.

Advice to Management

We don't need as many silly videos at the company meetings :)

20 Aug 2018 – Chief Engineering Officer

Thank you for the thoughtful comments. We work hard to find a good mix of competing approaches and investments as a leadership team and frankly I often struggle with those choices. Your affirmation... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - SDR in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - SDR in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team environment and collaboration
    Managers are accessible and set you up for success
    Opportunities for growth

Cons

Work load fluctuates, can be very busy at times and struggling to stay busy at others.

9. "Senior Director Customer Success"

I worked at PayScale full-time

Pros

great vision, people, and office

Cons

office location can be problematic

"Have had an amazing onboarding experience"

Current Employee - Compensation Professional
    Current Employee - Compensation Professional

I have been working at PayScale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company was named the #1 Seattle Large Company to work at for a ton of reasons. From my personal experience, what makes them so amazing is the group of people they have assembled; the work-life balance; and how open they are to new ideas.

Cons

The location is a bit difficult to get to via public transport.