Philadelphia Corporation for Aging Reviews

Updated 17 Apr 2020

2.8
Philadelphia Corporation for Aging President & CEO Holly Lange (no image)
Holly Lange
  1. "Changing with the times"

4.0

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the mission statement of PCA is the driving force behind the company's success

Cons

there are some things that are out of managements hands to change

2. "so-so"

Former Employee - Assessment Worker in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible schedule. They provide you an opportunity to gain experience in the field. Great colleagues.

Cons

arrogant leadership, they are bullies

Continue reading

"Nice working environment, but the pay needs to be raised."

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time

Pros

Friendly atmosphere Pension Excellent hours Paid Holidays Benefits Knowledgeable Management

Cons

Low Pay Little room for advancement No bonus

December 11, 2017Recruiter

It is always nice to see so many things our employees are happy about. We continue to strive to make PCA a positive environment where the employees have opportunities to grow both personally and professionally with programs like Toastmasters and Leading Up.

4. "program manager"

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time

Pros

Benefits benefits benefits benefits pension

Cons

Upward mobility hard without an advanced degree

"It's a livin'"

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally helpful supervisors and above average pay for what the job is. Benefits are really affordable. If you put up with a lot you will be rewarded

Cons

They tend to promote young attractive women over more experienced males. Very biased toward women, as mostly women work there. Sometimes dangerous situations with clients and management overlooks the risk factors. Clients are allowed to be lazy and abusive and continue to receive assistance

July 21, 2017Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you do not feel that you have been able to move ahead in your career. PCA is very interested in providing advancement opportunities to all of our employees. PCA has created a number of programs such as Toastmasters and “Leading up” that support and encourage all employees to become involved in their own professional growth. They are employee run and management supported.

"I love my job"

5.0
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the work we do. I have a great team, supervisor, and director. I go home at night and rest well knowing that I have made a positive contribution to my community. For some people this job is just a paycheck but many people here actually care about our clients and the work that we do. The benefits and health insurance are good. It's a great place to start a career in social services/ aging and a great place to grow if that's what you decide to do.

Cons

I wish people would be compensated based on their skills and qualifications. You get a raise over the years as you stay with the company, but I also feel that people should be compensated based on higher degrees or certain skills (I.e. Being bilingual--a skill that's highly sought in the company). This would reduce turnover.

July 21, 2017Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. PCA employees do believe in the company’s mission statement. As a nonprofit corporation, PCA strives to maintain competitive benefits and salaries. Unfortunately as a nonprofit we cannot always be as competitive as we would like.

"Great company but crippled by bureaucracy."

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

PTO may be the BEST in the city, after 5yrs you receive 4wks of vacation on top of Sick and Personal time. Also not to mention 13 paid holidays. Very progressive organization with tons of really great people who want nothing more than to help Senior Citizens.

Cons

There may not be a PCA in 5years. Between competition and cuts in Medicaid, I can't imagine them being able to pay over 700 people's salaries.

July 21, 2017Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We do understand your concern for the future of PCA which has been in existence since 1973. Throughout those 40+ years, PCA has evolved and grown as the industry has changed. PCA will continue to be proactive as the changes in the industry occur and we are confident we will be able to deal with the challenges that PCA will be facing and continue to grow and expand in the future. We hope that our employees are instrumental in those changes by taking advantage of the programs that can help them move up within the company such as Leading up and Toastmasters.

"Beware of LTCO"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator I in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had a wonderful supervisor, director, and team. Telecommuting was a big plus. My supervisor gave a lot of freedom but this isn't the norm. Great name on paper.

Cons

A lot of bad supervisors and directors. Expected to bill for time which takes away from social service. A lot of supervisors don't care about personal comfort ie how you feel in dangerous situations. Company has an extremely high turn over rate - you're considered a veteran at 1 year. Very poor pay for work load expected.

July 21, 2017Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that social workers would much rather be able to practice their social work skills rather than work on a computer to enter information. Unfortunately billable hours are mandated by the state and not PCA. We do strive to support the field based social workers to the best of our ability with telecommuting, flextime and mentors. We know unexpected situations can happen while out in the field and encourage employees to report them. We also closely direct and provide training for the supervising staff.

9. "upgraded salaries"

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time

Pros

Salaries have been increased to stay competitive

Cons

Unfortunately health care cost keep going up

"Service coordinator"

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging

Pros

Work life balance Paid time off package includes personal, sick, and vacation Advancement within the company is encouraged and opportunities are available Excellent company paid for trainings

Cons

Pressure to achieve unrealistic quotas leads to high turnover Pay is very low Advancement at times seems to be tied to who you know

Found 54 reviews