Philadelphia Corporation for Aging Employee Reviews about "telecommuting"

Updated 21 Jan 2020

2.8
Philadelphia Corporation for Aging President & CEO Holly Lange (no image)
Holly Lange
Pros
Cons
  • "Also upper management have poor social skills and bully people to Stay at PCA(in 5 reviews)

• "Very high work load and not enough time with work load to provide social work and help people as I want to(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "telecommuting"

Return to all Reviews

"Only Care About the big people"

1.0
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Telecommuting, parking and benefits are benefits

Cons

PCA is only concerned about upper management. They are extremely top heavy for absolutely no reason at all. Half of management don't even know and understand the job but continue to receive a big fat check but on the other hand laid off so many of the "little people". So interesting how so many SC were laid off (to cut back) but not one upper management staff. Too top heavy! Also no room for growth.

"Poorly managed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pension, ample holidays off, occasional raises, telecommuting.

Cons

Top heavy management that doesn't respect or appreciate their employees. Poorly ran and managed long term care department, chaotic/hectic environment, high levels of multitasking required causing clients and their service coordinators to suffer, very high turn over of employees, long hours and no overtime pay despite work load requiring past 8hrs of work, unrealistic expectations, high caseloads that are very difficult to manage, non- supportive environment, notorious for overworking and overwhelming good staff members causing them to leave, listed as non profit but operates as for profit. Corporate greed.

"Unhealthy Work Culture"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time

Pros

Option to telecommute, good PTO and benefits.

Cons

PCA can harbor a toxic work culture. I experienced sexual harassment in the office, as well in the field but was never supported by management. The organization has little care for employee's safety, and often places employees in unsafe situations, particularly for women. Management was ineffective and instead of focusing on creating a healthy and positive culture, they focused on putting employees down. They put no effort into helping employees develop their skills and talents, and at times bullied employees. It was clear racism and sexism was a part of the culture that kept many employees from advancing.

"Overworked staff causes high turnover for what could be a great company"

Current Employee - Assessment Worker in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than a year

Pros

12 paid holidays, benefits package that is decent for a non-profit, & vacation time is great. Ability to telecommute after 1 year of being employed. Independent work. Supportive supervisor. Employee events & activities. Given an i-Pad and i-Phone for field work. Gas reimbursement for using own car. Large parking lot for field workers. Ability to meet kind, interesting consumers in the community & feel as if you are contributing to their need for assistance. Expands one's knowledge of city driving. Being that it is a non-profit, pay is low, but still higher than most other social service agencies. Increase in pay the longer you stay with the company, as well as pension with 5 years+ at company. Getting to network with some great staff. Tuition reimbursement (although it is measly). Great mission statement for company, which some employees are very passionate about. You can excel with great writing, observation, & organizational skills. Stable company that should not be in trouble of going out of business, d/t its involvement with the entire city of Phila., as well as having over 700 employees.

Cons

High quota leading to high turnover, as many employees become so over-stressed. There is so much paperwork to write up, that often times employees are working late nights and weekends at home trying to finish their cases within 24 hr deadline. Lots of wear & tear on personal car. Having to go to unsafe neighborhoods alone, and sometimes having to walk blocks d/t limited parking or bad weather. Having to see 3 clients in one day in 3 separate regions of the city, leading you to not be able to write up any of the cases during regular business hrs. Incredibly unfriendly CEO. Certain Supervisors are very catty, rude, or micro-manage, making it feel like high school all over again. Low morale among employees. Consumers yelling, arguing, or being plain rude to you when you are trying to complete an assessment in their home. Having to go to dirty, bug ridden homes at times. Having to visit nursing homes with most nursing staff not wanting to provide assistance to you, or they give you attitude when you ask a simple question. Technology can be unreliable sometimes. Sometimes PCA does not close when there is a significant amount of snow on the ground, yet they expect you to be able to get your car out & if you can't, if comes out of your personal time (although they did improve this in the past winter).

"Beware of LTCO"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator I in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had a wonderful supervisor, director, and team. Telecommuting was a big plus. My supervisor gave a lot of freedom but this isn't the norm. Great name on paper.

Cons

A lot of bad supervisors and directors. Expected to bill for time which takes away from social service. A lot of supervisors don't care about personal comfort ie how you feel in dangerous situations. Company has an extremely high turn over rate - you're considered a veteran at 1 year. Very poor pay for work load expected.

Philadelphia Corporation for Aging Response

July 21, 2017Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that social workers would much rather be able to practice their social work skills rather than work on a computer to enter information. Unfortunately billable hours are mandated by the state and not PCA. We do strive to support the field based social workers to the best of our ability with telecommuting, flextime and mentors. We know unexpected situations can happen while out in the field and encourage employees to report them. We also closely direct and provide training for the supervising staff.

6. "Great experience!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Corporation for Aging full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Telecommuting! Oh my God!so convenient. I get such done in my own space. Nobody distracting me and I'm close to some of my cases. I have the privilege 2 times a week. Benefits are good. Vacation/sick/personal time.. and all holidays off. People say the pay isn't enough. .let me just say this. While we do a lot and it could be a bit more. PCA pays well compared to other places. I know that from interviewing with other places. I have a great supervisor who doesn't micro manage and is very helpful. She critics when she needs to but she isn't rude about it. I'm lucky and I mean that in the most literal way. I likely would have quit if I had some other supervisors. Overall I'm proud to be apart to the PCA family. It's a great environment. My co workers are awesome and parking is provided. The work you do is so rewarding ..it is great experience.

Cons

I've been at PCA for 3 years. I have a love hate relationship with the company mostly due to management and the constant changes but I guess that is what comes with the territory. It's very different depending on who your manager and assistance director are...some are competent and some aren't. Some show favoritism or blacklist you if you have a opinion that doesn't match there's. There isn't much room for growth.you can become a supervisor but again if your name isn't tarnished already. Other than that there isn't much else..some of the upper management have been there for decades too so opportunities don't come up that often. Units. .. I have a quota I have to meet daily..it's annoying it takes away from tell time that could be committed to being detailed with some activities but if you need to get units you can't focus on things that aren't billable. It really is a problem but I see it isn't going anywhere so.

Philadelphia Corporation for Aging Response

July 21, 2017Recruiter

We are so glad there are so many things that make working at PCA a great place. We do acknowledge that there is always room for improvement. We understand that it is frustrating for social workers to do billing. Unfortunately this is a mandated procedure over which PCA has no control. PCA has initiated a Cultural Change Task Force that includes employees from all departments and all levels to better understand how we can continue to improve the communication and environment of the company.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews