Plymouth Rock Assurance Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Plymouth Rock Assurance Reviews

Updated Oct 14, 2019

Found 128 reviews

3.3
Plymouth Rock Assurance CEO Mary Boyd (no image)
Mary Boyd
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper Management is completely out of touch with the needs and issues within sales department(in 4 reviews)

• "low pay, management does not set good example, promotions based on favoritism, not performance(in 4 reviews)

1. "Quality Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture, helpful supervisors

Cons

Repetitious work can be a lot at times

Plymouth Rock Assurance2019-09-30
  2. "Great company, poor job"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Woodbridge, NJ

I worked at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company had a good culture.

Cons

Claims process is disorganized and training is limited. High turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Create a better training program to ensure reps are prepared to fully assist policy holders and claimants.

Plymouth Rock Assurance2019-10-14
  3. "Better to Avoid"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Boston, MA

I worked at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cut and dry 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 schedule, clear responsibilities.

Cons

Everything else. Compensation, perks, flexibility, career advancement.

Advice to Management

Everyone knows this business isn't the most lucrative and that the entire insurance industry is just a necessary evil, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the starting salary is abysmal compared to every other competitor. This company hires people who are looking to make a career change or are just starting out professionally and have no idea what a good work environment looks like or their own personal worth as... an employee. The largest yearly 'merit-based' salary raise I personally experienced in my time at the company was 3%, which I was told was the highest in the department. The office itself looks as though it has not been updated since the doors opened in 1985 and there are absolutely no perks. The entire office ambiance is centered around commiseration and the general understanding that the business is and is only ever going to be terrible. This coupled with Jim Stone's condescending pep talks during the yearly meetings about how all of his employees should be 'grateful' that they are 'gainfully employed' makes for a completely toxic work environment. This sort of gaslighting is a regular occurrence within the company as in an abusive relationship. All decisions are made by upper management and mid-level managers often feel that they have absolutely no control over day-to-day policies. There is little-to-no incentive for anyone at this company to do more than the bare minimum and it shows.

Plymouth Rock Assurance2019-08-28
  4. "Woodbridge location"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Down to earth co-workers -Company seem to always being pushing forward and striving to improve

Cons

Personally, my commute otherwise great so far.

Plymouth Rock Assurance2019-07-25

"Terrible Culture, Worse Opportunity"

Former Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Woodbridge, NJ

I worked at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good health insurance package -Ok way to learn how to grind with sales

Cons

-Monthly minimums kept going up until they were unattainable while payout on commission regularly goes down -They time your bathroom breaks and give you grief for going even one min over an allotted break -They pay very little for base salary (you can't live on it) -Management lets you know often you are replaceable -So many superfluous middle managers who invent ways to improve to keep your job -They... discourage creativity - you have to stick to the scripting -Leadership is visionless -You sit all day on the phones

Advice to Management

If you need to save money, don't raise minimums and screw the sales people out of commission. Get rid of half of the team leaders who drag the sales people down instead. I worked there for two years and there was a mass exodus of your best and most talented sales teams because pretty much everywhere else pays better and more importantly treats the team better than Plymouth Rock Assurance ever did.

Plymouth Rock Assurance2019-08-20

"Good growth opportunities, but be aware of what you're getting into"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

General desire to grow the company, and be creative about doing it. It's small, so you can be involved in a lot of decisions and get a lot of opportunities to do interesting work simply because there's no one else to do it. In some parts, great symbiotic, collaborative relationship between systems and product means that innovation actually happens. Excellent work life balance (most people leave at 5pm).

Cons

The company structure (3 CEOs, each of their own group, separate product, IT, sales, marketing, etc.) invites competition between home and auto divisions. Sometimes this competition isn't friendly and makes the company less efficient (e.g. do we really need 3 CEOs, 2 CFOs, and several varieties of CMOs?). Partly because of this, the politics here are among the worst I've seen at any company. Also because it's a... small company, there isn't a great process for raises or promotions. Too many promotions happen because an employee gets an external offer, and threatens to quit. They tend to pay well to get in the door, but by the time I left I estimated I was about ~25% below my market rate. My friends familiar with the company advised me when I was considering my offer here, to be happy with the pay I was going in for, since I would have it for a while. That turned out to be true. It's also tough to be a woman. A senior (male) leader, sometimes my manager, would tell me once every 1-2 months how pretty I looked, in a meeting, in front of others. It was a different person almost every time, so it's not like this was a one-off. I was asked often by people in other departments about room availability or catering. When I asked for a raise, one of my managers asked me why I needed the money, since I didn't have any children. I wasn't openly sexually harassed, and I liked most of the people there, but it wasn't easy.

Advice to Management

Be clear and consistent at all levels of the company about the desire for growth. Insurance is volatile, so we have to learn to deal with that and not overreact to individual losses or unprofitable months. Formalize the promotion process (criteria, make sure company-wide discussions happen, etc.). Biannual harassment training isn't enough: this is more of a cultural issue.

Plymouth Rock Assurance2019-07-11
  7. "N/A"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I worked at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are great for families.

Cons

Growth potential is certain areas are limited.

Plymouth Rock Assurance2019-06-18

"Decent benefits but lacking upward mobility"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Health insurance is on the cheap side because its a large company. Steady employment. Forces you to hone time management and interpersonal skills.

Cons

I was told not only on the phone but in an email that the 3k more in salary I was requesting, but could not be accommodated, could be achieved in 6 months by a performance based raise and an exam if passed. 8 months later no one has contacted me about an exam date. 8 months later I was offered another job in the same field with a significantly higher salary.

Advice to Management

The company has experienced a lot of growth with makes it attractive to work for. However, if a high turnover rate in the claims department is a business margin you can afford then don't change. But if you are looking to retain and grow employees who are the ones reflecting the companies customer service goals you might want to create a little more career trajectory.

Plymouth Rock Assurance2019-05-17
  9. "Some great people but EXTREMELY LOW PAY"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Boston, MA

I worked at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time

Pros

I loved most of the people I worked with, so that was nice. Even on a particularly long and stressful day, I had a lot of support from my colleagues.

Cons

The biggest con was the extremely low salary. Because of that the turnover was high and the constant turnover created more work for the employees still there. While new employees were being hired, the current employees would have to take on the caseload of the employees that left and there was not much support or appreciation.

Plymouth Rock Assurance2019-04-23

"Physical Damage Adjuster"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No micro-management. As long as you do your work, you are able to handle it as you see fit.

Cons

No upward mobility. It is very rare for Physical Damage Adjusters to get promoted outside of their role. The majority leave the company after 1 year or less. Those who do not either stay at their roles with minute salary increases, or move into a different claims role. It is incredibly difficult to move up from this position.

Plymouth Rock Assurance2019-04-15