Progressive Business Publications Marketing Reviews

• Any Status
4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Benbrook

Pros
  • They offer a laid back work environment with a lax business casual dress code (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and weekends off (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of natural light in the HQ, except at the building edges (in 5 reviews)

• Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 3 reviews)

"Things are changing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There a new people with some good experience from outside the company coming in over 2015 with needed skills. They should be able to help the managers who have been around. looks like we can mix the good of the past with some new blood to get things going.

Cons

Add a few vacation days for in place staff, really support outside activities by giving a few community service days to people. repaint ladies room. Clean kitchenette.

Advice to Management

Make sure old and new employees get together to share best ideas

2. "Great Place to Expand Your Skills"

Current Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upper management is supportive of your career goals and any new business initiatives you come up with. Employees are super friendly and inviting. Hours are flexible.

Cons

Working in cubicles makes it hard to be collaborative with your team members. Divisions aren't connected - not sure what everyone else in the building is doing. Employee morale boosting events and programs are lacking. There aren't many windows - sunlight is necessary!

Advice to Management

Bridge the divisions together and bring back company events!

3. "Marketing Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

The people at Progressive Business Publications are great and always there for help!

Cons

There is Not a lot of natural sunlight. It would be nice to see the daylight sometimes.

5. "New Direction"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

Like many at the company, I've been at PBP for 5+ years. In that time, the company has evolved, culminating with the hiring of a new CEO - John Benbrook. John has brought a new focus and energy. The company is investing in the software and technology necessary to take us to the next level. The company isn't perfect, but it's made up of hardworking individuals who care.

Cons

Getting IT resources is always a challenge. I'd like to see more company-wide events. We used to have a annual company picnic, but that hasn't happened in a couple years.

Advice to Management

Focus on the long term.

"Exactly as Promised...It's What You Make Of It"

Current Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Progressive Business Publications is a very stable company, with a strong base of business, which allows them to aggressively pursue growth initiatives. As in any entrepreneurial environment, the job is really what you make of it, and is perfect for anybody who knows how to prioritize and go after the top 20% of opportunities. Expectations are high, and potential compensation is strong for those who make an impact. Having grown up in the traditional print newsletter business, Progressive Business Publications has made aggressive strides in the digital and e-commerce spaces, creating brand new businesses that leverage its existing content and resources, and makes fast growth possible. If you know how to write a business plan and build a financial model, you can launch a business, and get to profitability much faster than in a traditional setup. Business owners are empowered to make decisions, and are clearly on the hook for results. If you like and want true accountability, along with all of the authority to make it happen, this is for you. This is not a place for anybody who wants to coast along. During the hiring process, the recruiter and everybody I met with stressed the company's culture and values. I was honestly skeptical as to how far these went within the company, and am happy to say that there is a consistency in this, across all levels and departments. Progressive Business Publications hires smart and talented people, who are also driven and respectful. Don't get me wrong...there is plenty of healthy debate and productive conflict, so you should be comfortable with this, and know that it makes for better business.

Cons

The fast pace of growth initiatives makes for some difficult prioritization discussions and resourcing. As with most companies, this impacts IT work, which can create resourcing issues. This is being actively addressed with stronger project management and ownership of initiatives. Also, not a con for me, but if you're looking for a job where you just show up and leave at the appointed times, this is not for you. You will work hard, and have high expectations put on you, so be prepared.

Advice to Management

Maintain the balance of high expectations with the empowerment to make it happen, and I'll stick around.

"Great opportunity for growth and creative thinking"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PBP has a great culture. People are friendly and great to work with. It has a entrepreneurial spirit and is constantly driving towards the next big project, which keeps things interesting.

Cons

Sometimes too many projects going on at once can cause a logjam and be particularly difficult on IT.

"Empowering learning experience at Progressive Business Publications"

Former Intern - Summer Marketing Intern in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Intern - Summer Marketing Intern in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a summer marketing intern at Progressive Business Publications was a truly empowering experience. Never was I treated as "just" an intern, but instead I was taking on tasks like a full-time employee would from day one. The atmosphere among the employees at Progressive Business Publications was remarkable; everyone was friendly and everyone was constantly happy to help and answer questions. My supervisor made sure that I had all the resources I needed in order to fulfill my tasks. Feedback was always prompt and constructive, and whenever I had an idea for a project, I was given full attention by upper level management. Within the ten weeks that I spend interning at Progressive Business Publications, I learned a tremendous amount of applicable knowledge that has since helped me in the classroom as well as in other jobs and internships I have held since. I certainly enjoyed my time at Progressive Business Publications and I am hoping to have the chance to return to the company.

Cons

There are not many cons to mention, besides some tedious tasks that every entry-level position has and the fact that I was not there long enough to join any of the company sports teams.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work at empowering your employees and pushing them to do the best they can.

"Questionable business ethics driven by greed"

Former Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

casual work atmosphere, some fun employee activities

Cons

This is a churn & burn organization - both with their treatment of employees and their email marketing practices. A quick Google search will show you plenty of "questionable business ethics". Not much vacation time & paid holidays - lousy insurance. Management will guide you very little but hold you accountable for everything. Expect little guidance and the likelihood that you will never elevate your position unless a member of the almost all-male management club. Greed-driven initiatives with poor project management planning and follow-through.

Advice to Management

Change your bad business ethics, poor benefits, low-pay

"Values Driven Company with Opportunity for Impact"

Current Employee - Marketer in Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketer in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

I've worked in marketing at the company's headquarters for 3 years. Company has a high performance environment but managers give you the resources and support to succeed. I'm always learning something new and have been given opportunities to attend conferences, trainings, and other outside resources. Upper management challenges you to make an impact, but empowers you to see your ideas through. PBP is very philanthropic and encourages employees to participate in its mentorship program . I found the program to be incredibly rewarding. Gives you a sense of pride to work with a company that positively impacts the community in so many ways.

Cons

It is a results driven environment. Everyone is held accountable for what they deliver on, so it's not for everybody.

Advice to Management

Better coffee!

"PBP’s environment encourages you to succeed at your job"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- PBP is a meritocracy - if you do well you’re rewarded with more, challenging work that plays to your strengths. As a result, I’ve been able to grow within the company and work with many different divisions which has allowed me to both learn a lot and contribute to the overall growth of the company. - The People - I’ve never worked with a group of more talented and interesting people. It makes work more enjoyable if you like the people you work with. - Giving back - PBP doesn’t just give money to non-profit organizations they support, they also encourage their employees to give time during the work day to make a difference in a child’s life by mentoring elementary school children

Cons

The office itself is "tired" looking. I would love to have more access to windows and natural light. And, more parking spaces, too.

RSS Feed </> Embed