Propeller Aero Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

"Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Surry Hills
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Surry Hills

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Propeller is made up of a some incredibly welcoming and super smart people, who are never hesitant to lend a hand or have a chat. They make you feel like part of the family from day one.

Leave your ego at the door, there's no petty competition here. Everyone is genuinely supportive of each other and you really get a sense that everyone is working towards the same goal.

Cons

Fairly loose work structure means a lot of figuring things out as they go. Be prepared for lots of experimenting and changes as the company finds it's legs and figured out the best way to get things done.

Flat hierarchy means you're expected to step up, work independently, and be self-driven. The culture is friendly, but at the end of the day, you have to be driven, passionate, and good at what you do.

Advice to Management

As the company grows and hiring gets more frequent, it's important to maintain the high standard that has allowed Propeller to be where it is today.

2. "Excellent Team and Culture"

Current Employee - Success Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Success Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An exceptional place to work, providing a rewarding and healthy culture.
    Focused on common goals and supporting each employee to be the best that can be.
    Every day you will learn something new and have your ideas challenged.
    Very direct and supportive feedback in a manner that makes us all better.

Cons

Located in a very high cost of living area (but it does have the associated upsides).
    Fighting for the best chair is a never ending battle.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the hiring standards and don't rush to fill the positions, find the right fit.

3. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Sydney
    Current Employee - Sales in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Propeller truly strives to be best in class for culture, opportunity and product offering. It's a collaborative hub of driven and talented people and it's been a refreshing change moving from an overly corporate environment into a progressive and challenging learning environment. Highly recommend for those interested in tech and beyond.

Cons

Typical growing pains related to rapid expansion. Busy, fast-paced, with a real sense of responsibility.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work as we scale.

4. "A Rewarding Work Place"

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A fantastic work place where your skill set will be utilized to the fullest, producing world class productivity software.
    More than just a daily grind, Propeller will reward you with friendships, comradery and unique experiences unobtainable anywhere else.

Cons

Nestled within a unique industry between aerospace and earthworks, working at Propeller is a challenging and steep experience for those who do not have existing domain knowledge.

Advice to Management

Always do Propeller the Propeller way. A challenging task no doubt but it is the foundation of its success and the success of its employees.

5. "Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time

Pros

At Propeller I’m privileged to work with some of the smartest and genuine people I have ever worked with. The culture is incredibly supportive and inclusive which creates a space to do your best work. From the interview to the on-boarding process it was well organised and thought out .
    The environment is self-driven and there is a huge amount of ownership available to be taken on new projects. The office is great, the team is hardworking and fun, and the founders are super approachable.

Cons

Can be tough for people coming from a more corporate background as the structure is a bit loose. It’s not necessary a negative but can be a strange adjustment for some.

6. "Excellent team and leadership"

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time

Pros

- There is an amazing attitude towards trying and failing. Not in the annoying startup "fail fast" type of way, but in a way that makes it safe to be hugely ambitious, and has your back if you make mistakes along the way
    - Lots of fun. I honestly love coming to work every day. The people I work with are both incredibly smart and incredibly humble
    - Big challenges: The work is hard and there isn't a blueprint for what we're doing. I find this motivating
    - Leadership that empowers you to make your own decisions

Cons

It's not for everybody. Be ready for a contest of ideas and to admit you were wrong. It suits people who love not being the smartest person in the room.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring standards high

7. "A small, committed team of super smart people"

Current Employee - Marketing Content Lead in Sydney
    Current Employee - Marketing Content Lead in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Propeller is picky about who it hires. Only seriously excellent people make the cut. Being part of such a high-quality team feels amazing. It pushes and inspires you to do your best work.
    - The culture here is the best I've ever known. There is zero tolerance for any of that toxic workplace politics stuff. Seriously. No bad-mouthing people behind their backs, no trampling on others to get ahead. I've never felt anything less than 100% encouraged and supported by every single team member.
    - Though I'm based in Sydney, I've been lucky enough to spend some time in Propeller's Denver office, which was a great experience. With offices in the US and Australia, and remote workers scattered across the globe, there are some travel opportunities available.
    - As a woman, support for me in this male-dominated workplace (and sector) has been explicit and unwavering.

Cons

- Like any fast-growing startup, Propeller is still 'figuring it out' on a few fronts. That said, asking for and delivering critical feedback is baked into the culture here, so mistakes tend to be quickly identified and corrected.
    - Right now, the company is grappling with the transition from scrappy startup to professional mid-sized business. This is challenging, but also exciting. It feels like everyone is committed to establishing an structure that allows for maximum efficiency, without losing the casual, non-hierarchical culture that we love.
    - Like all tech startups, there is an over-representation of white men here. However, Management and HR are the first to call this out, and I genuinely believe they're taking the right steps to correct this.

Advice to Management

- Maintain high standards when it comes to hiring.
    - Maintain commitment to flexible work practices.
    - Maintain commitment to diversity within the team.

"An egoless and committed team pulling in the same direction"

Current Employee - Developer in Surry Hills
    Current Employee - Developer in Surry Hills

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked in startups, non-profits and consultancies and I can honestly say i'm happiest at Propeller. I think this is because of the team culture and the very high standard of work across all areas of the business. I feel this in the fortnightly demo sessions, retros, and collaborations across technical/business teams.

I think a lot of this can be attributed to good hiring and a culture that empowers people to take ownership of an area and deliver their best work. I think we are getting a good mix of young/older experience, as well as tech/industry experience.

The strong team in part comes down to having founders with a good instinct for hiring, but also because Propeller is a place you would be happy to recommend to your friends and previous colleagues.

The company is quite flat but has a strong structure of teams aligned with areas of the business/product/customer. The founders are quite accessible at our current size, but teams have strong autonomy as well. It's great to be located in Surry Hills but also good to have some remote flexibility available to help with work life balance and when you need to focus.

I'm optimistic about the companies prospects and am glad to contribute one of the many pieces that we need to grow and succeed.

Cons

We have Surry Hills and Denver offices (and colleagues spread around the world) and global customers which can present some challenges for communications across timezones.

Like most startups we are growing quickly which always presents some challenges to get the right balance of policies. This can cause some friction and uncertainty but I'm confident we will navigate this with frank open communication.

We probably don't have a lot of structure around training/education and career path at the moment which could be a problem for some. For me, this is not a huge problem but requires some more initiative at times.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Distribute responsibility as liberally as possible.

Keep asking for feedback and course correct if a decision needs changing.

"Cutting edge, exciting, non-stop learning from the best in the field"

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant place to work.

Fast paced, lots of responsibility and autonomy, great office, and get to work with bleeding edge technologies.

The employees are absolutely the best in their field and are keen to share their skills.

Cons

Jumping into the world of mapping software and photogrammetry data processing from a regular software job can seem daunting at first, but the skills and knowledge you pick up along the way are incredible.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in Sydney
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and environment to work in.
    Solid investment in developing sales skill set.
    Many opportunities to learn new things and try new roles.
    Rapidly expanding and exciting company with a bright future.
    Flat structure where all people feel heard and respected.
    ... Bean bags and bubbly water on tap are also nice.

Cons

Currently lacking table tennis table.

Advice to Management

Keep on current trajectory :)