Propeller Aero Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Propeller Aero Reviews

Updated Aug 28, 2019

Found 23 reviews

4.9
Propeller Aero CEO Francis Vierboom and Rory San Miguel (no image)
Francis Vierboom and Rory San Miguel
  1. "Fast paced, interesting work un-tethered by corporate bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Own the problems you solve Love the people you work with Be heard and informed on all aspects of the product

Cons

It's a start up, the whole four walls and ceiling are a gamble but accepted risk = potential reward. You're still guaranteed to get something out of your time here.

Propeller Aero2019-08-29
  2. "All of the good things you hear about tech start up's"

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time for less than a year

Pros

A highly collaborative environment where everyone in the business genuinely lives by our mantra of 100% impact and 0% ego. Everyone knows what they are responsible for and how that role contributes to the success of the business. Being the size we are, this means everyone works on really meaningful tasks, either directly for the customer or in some kind of support function.

Cons

No cons. However, if you like a perfectly structured working environment with a plan in place for everything, this isn't the environment for you. We're growing and learning as we go, so sometimes things don't run perfectly and you need to be ok with that.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. We're all super engaged and invested in the success of Propeller. The way to keep it like that is keeping us informed.

Propeller Aero2019-08-22
  3. "Managers"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time

Pros

Autonomous work is a plus

Cons

No a lot of direction

Advice to Management

Need clear lines of business

Propeller Aero2019-01-30

"Amazing Culture"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Surry Hills

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time for more than a year

Pros

Propeller is made up of a some incredibly welcoming and super smart people, who are never hesitant to lend a hand or have a chat. They make you feel like part of the family from day one. Leave your ego at the door, there's no petty competition here. Everyone is genuinely supportive of each other and you really get a sense that everyone is working towards the same goal.

Cons

Fairly loose work structure means a lot of figuring things out as they go. Be prepared for lots of experimenting and changes as the company finds it's legs and figured out the best way to get things done. Flat hierarchy means you're expected to step up, work independently, and be self-driven. The culture is friendly, but at the end of the day, you have to be driven, passionate, and good at what you do.

Advice to Management

As the company grows and hiring gets more frequent, it's important to maintain the high standard that has allowed Propeller to be where it is today.

Propeller Aero2018-10-12

"Excellent Team and Culture"

Current Employee - Success Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time for less than a year

Pros

An exceptional place to work, providing a rewarding and healthy culture. Focused on common goals and supporting each employee to be the best that can be. Every day you will learn something new and have your ideas challenged. Very direct and supportive feedback in a manner that makes us all better.

Cons

Located in a very high cost of living area (but it does have the associated upsides). Fighting for the best chair is a never ending battle.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the hiring standards and don't rush to fill the positions, find the right fit.

Propeller Aero2018-09-24

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time for less than a year

Pros

Propeller truly strives to be best in class for culture, opportunity and product offering. It's a collaborative hub of driven and talented people and it's been a refreshing change moving from an overly corporate environment into a progressive and challenging learning environment. Highly recommend for those interested in tech and beyond.

Cons

Typical growing pains related to rapid expansion. Busy, fast-paced, with a real sense of responsibility.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work as we scale.

Propeller Aero2018-09-04

"A Rewarding Work Place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time for less than a year

Pros

A fantastic work place where your skill set will be utilized to the fullest, producing world class productivity software. More than just a daily grind, Propeller will reward you with friendships, comradery and unique experiences unobtainable anywhere else.

Cons

Nestled within a unique industry between aerospace and earthworks, working at Propeller is a challenging and steep experience for those who do not have existing domain knowledge.

Advice to Management

Always do Propeller the Propeller way. A challenging task no doubt but it is the foundation of its success and the success of its employees.

Propeller Aero2018-05-28

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time

Pros

At Propeller I’m privileged to work with some of the smartest and genuine people I have ever worked with. The culture is incredibly supportive and inclusive which creates a space to do your best work. From the interview to the on-boarding process it was well organised and thought out . The environment is self-driven and there is a huge amount of ownership available to be taken on new projects. The office is... great, the team is hardworking and fun, and the founders are super approachable.

Cons

Can be tough for people coming from a more corporate background as the structure is a bit loose. It’s not necessary a negative but can be a strange adjustment for some.

Propeller Aero2018-05-23

"Excellent team and leadership"

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time

Pros

- There is an amazing attitude towards trying and failing. Not in the annoying startup "fail fast" type of way, but in a way that makes it safe to be hugely ambitious, and has your back if you make mistakes along the way - Lots of fun. I honestly love coming to work every day. The people I work with are both incredibly smart and incredibly humble - Big challenges: The work is hard and there isn't a blueprint for... what we're doing. I find this motivating - Leadership that empowers you to make your own decisions

Cons

It's not for everybody. Be ready for a contest of ideas and to admit you were wrong. It suits people who love not being the smartest person in the room.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring standards high

Propeller Aero2018-02-11

"A small, committed team of super smart people"

Current Employee - Marketing Content Lead in Sydney

I have been working at Propeller Aero full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Propeller is picky about who it hires. Only seriously excellent people make the cut. Being part of such a high-quality team feels amazing. It pushes and inspires you to do your best work. - The culture here is the best I've ever known. There is zero tolerance for any of that toxic workplace politics stuff. Seriously. No bad-mouthing people behind their backs, no trampling on others to get ahead. I've never felt... anything less than 100% encouraged and supported by every single team member. - Though I'm based in Sydney, I've been lucky enough to spend some time in Propeller's Denver office, which was a great experience. With offices in the US and Australia, and remote workers scattered across the globe, there are some travel opportunities available. - As a woman, support for me in this male-dominated workplace (and sector) has been explicit and unwavering.

Cons

- Like any fast-growing startup, Propeller is still 'figuring it out' on a few fronts. That said, asking for and delivering critical feedback is baked into the culture here, so mistakes tend to be quickly identified and corrected. - Right now, the company is grappling with the transition from scrappy startup to professional mid-sized business. This is challenging, but also exciting. It feels like everyone is... committed to establishing an structure that allows for maximum efficiency, without losing the casual, non-hierarchical culture that we love. - Like all tech startups, there is an over-representation of white men here. However, Management and HR are the first to call this out, and I genuinely believe they're taking the right steps to correct this.

Advice to Management

- Maintain high standards when it comes to hiring. - Maintain commitment to flexible work practices. - Maintain commitment to diversity within the team.

Propeller Aero2018-01-22