Pulse (UK) Reviews

Updated 23 Jun 2020

Pulse (UK) CEO Mike Barnard
Mike Barnard
  1. "Build a fantastic career in recruitment!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Business Process Manager in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Having worked for Pulse myself for nearly 15 years, it is clear that there is encouragement to develop our own management internally, instead of employing managers from outside the business, which gives us a key USP against competitors. Career development is so important and the pathway is visible from day one. There are a number of benefits including good basic annual leave, opportunity to buy/sell holiday, online discounts portal, health insurance to cover you/partner/family, as well as a pension scheme. Pulse is also invested in giving something back, so there are regular charity events and functions happening throughout the year, which the majority of people get involved in. I have and will continue to recommend anyone to work here, whether you want a career in recruitment, admin, HR, marketing, finance. The opportunities are endless!

Cons

Parking onsite at our office is a bit of a nightmare!

March 1, 2019HR Business Partner

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are very passionate about supporting our employees to help them to grow within Pulse and ICS; developing clear career paths and providing training and opportunities for progression is definitely a key focus across our business. We are committed to gathering and acting upon feedback from our employees, finding out what's important and having an impact on their experience here and will continue to do so. It's great to read about your positive experience thus far and I hope that you continue to develop and progress in your career here.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Trainee Consultant in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) part-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive salary for out of town Team really gels together - real team spirit Good working conditions - nice offices - great managers Job is fun and no two days are the same

Cons

None so far, very happy

March 1, 2019HR Business Partner

Hi - thanks for taking the time to feedback on your experience at Pulse. It's great to read that you would recommend this as a place to work and that you are enjoying the role, working environment and the team spirit. We take on board your advice and we certainly want to retain our staff. I hope that you continue to see this as a great place to progress your career.

3. "Great Place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

The training and support I have received since joining the business has been excellent, I can always turn to managers and directors for advice. Working with a really good team makes coming into work a pleasure and I have felt welcome and part of the team since day 1. I also know that if I want to progress here I can and the career path is clear and available. I love that I get to deal with different businesses that fall under the umbrella of UKICS, this makes my days varied and stimulating.

Cons

Personally for me there aren't any cons that are noteworthy.

January 10, 2019Head of Resourcing and Talent Planning

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback. I'm really pleased to hear about your experience within your team and that you've benefited from how approachable our management and leadership team are. It's especially great to see that you've noted that we have a a clear career pathway, we have an abundance of opportunities here at ICS, and we look forward to having you progress with us!

4. "Great at the beginning"

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time

Pros

Good people, good benefits, dress down Fridays

Cons

Too much pressure on targets when the industry was changing

5. "Fantastic recruitment company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent career progression, great benefits, real family feel, open and honest management, first class training, allows autonomy in role, forward thinking and encourages innovation.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to measure performance if profits aren’t moving forward - this is generally the nature of recruitment.

August 17, 2018Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've worked hard to ensure we create career progression opportunities for everyone so it great to hear this is having a positive impact. It also great to hear that we've retained a family feel despite our growth. We will continue to listen to our staff as always. Thanks

"Pretty good"

Current Employee - Trainee Consultant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team Great benefits Company looks after you Open door to management at any time

Cons

Teams are falling apart Resignation galore Commission structure needs MAJOR REVAMP!

June 15, 2018Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We pride ourselves on having an open and honest culture so it's great to see one of your pros as 'open door'. It's really disappointing to hear your comments in relation to teams falling apart. What I can re-assure you of is that we have had a recent change to some areas of the leadership team within the Pulse business and we are confident that issues you refer to will be looked at as a priority, we absolutely do not want people to leave us. I note that you are a current employee - I am happy to discuss further feedback with you so please do get in touch if you wish to. Thanks again.

"Mixed bag - has its pros and cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly colleagues and candidates. Good benefits package.

Cons

Often find that you are the last to hear about changes that are being introduced. Company always wants more and more from you. Very target driven. Bonus was taken away except for a few "privileged" colleagues.

April 6, 2018Group HR Director

Many thanks for leaving us a review. We always appreciate feedback, whether good or bad, in order to help us make Pulse a great place to work. I will ensure that your comments are fed back to all Pulse senior management team, particularly around communication, given that often simple changes can make a big difference when it comes to sharing important information. Thanks again for your contribution to Pulse over the time you’ve worked with us.

"Good start to a recruitment career"

I worked at Pulse (UK)

Pros

-Colleagues in the office very warm and welcoming -Team culture is strong and emphasis on working as a team -On-Boarding programme teaches you everything you need to succeed -Ongoing training and development opportunities -Kings Cross location is easy to get to if you live in London -team drinks/office competitions and charity work have become more frequent since 2017.

Cons

-Lack of career progression or a clear pathway after initial promotions. -Bonus structure isn't the clearest in comparison to competitiors -KPIs are very rigid meaning there is little room for consultants who are successful outside of the traditional mould.

January 4, 2018Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear that you feel our on-boarding programme sets our people up for success and that you experienced on-going training and development opportunities and frequent team and charity events whilst you were working with us. We are very passionate about supporting our employees to help them to grow within ICS; developing clear career paths, providing training and opportunities for progression is definitely a key focus across our business. We will of course continue keep the office culture - it's great to hear that you would recommend us as a great place to start your career!

"Not for me"

1.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

you could help yourself to a free drink in the kitchen every friday, friday games, free tea and coffee, recruitment and compliance team were very welcoming.

Cons

Constantly criticised on a daily basis, was told I don’t know how to use outlook properly or send or delete emails, told i was making the business lose money,constant demotivating remarks from my manager via email and verbally infront of other staff daily at the Kings x branch. Witnessed emails between senior staff talking rudely about lower ranking staff as they’d forgotten to delete emails from team inbox. Also witnessed bullying in other teams and constant swearing between staff in conversations.Witnessed someone resign while I was there also due to bullying. Went home crying twice,In the end i left due to this.

January 30, 2018Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Some of your comments are extremely concerning and I would therefore encourage you to contact me directly at Rozie.Edwards@ukics.com so I can address any specific concerns you have. We work hard to create a culture which is engaging and rewarding for all our people and if we fall short of this we will take appropriate steps to rectify it.

10. "A&E Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It allows you to be flexible, pick your shifts and hospitals you want to work in

Cons

Not being part of a team

January 4, 2018Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Whilst it is great that you value our flexibility, it's disappointing to hear that you don't feel part of a team. Our culture very much encourages a collaborative, team approach; I would encourage you to speak with your manager in the first instance, as we are passionate about ensuring that all our people have the opportunity to organise and be part of regular team events, both with their immediate teams and across the wider business.

Found 118 reviews