Pulse (UK) Employee Reviews about "career progression"

Updated 22 Jun 2020

4.0
Pulse (UK) CEO Mike Barnard
Mike Barnard
Pros
  • "At Pulse, I got that impression from day one and I haven't changed my mind since(in 26 reviews)

• "Clear Career Progression including pay rise's(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pulse give everyone the tools to be able to thrive in a buzzy, fast paced, stressful environment should they be willing to put the work in(in 16 reviews)

• "Lack of career progression or a clear pathway after initial promotions(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "career progression"

Return to all Reviews

"Business Manager"

2.0

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time

Pros

I have fond memories of Christmas parties, managers away days, long service awards and summer barbecues when we had them. The geographical reach of ICS was always a plus which meant service to candidates and clients was simple and effective. While I didn't enjoy the training sessions as I felt they were outdated, meeting up with people from other offices was a good to share best practise. On a personal level I grew fond of many people there including my first director and the CEO, Richard. There is career progression but it's quite unavailing.

Cons

I worked my way up through Pulse over the course of 8 years. I worked hard every day because I wanted to grow the ladder, lead a team, earn more money and become pivotal in future plans for the company. What was once a vibrant, personable company eventually turned into a monster, hell bent on making money at almost any cost. When the agency caps hit, my positive career was immediately called into question and I was made to feel like I became bad at my job over night. I worked 10-12 hour days without any thanks. As I grew the ladder I realised that 'progression' was a myth; in fact, what happened was my base was partially increased inline with the increased responsibility however the way the commission structure is arranged meant my consultants were taking home more than me. I worked hard to get to management level but all it meant was endless meetings, I even had one meeting to discuss what we were going to discuss at a future meeting. My experience of career progression was accumulating other people's problem areas and being tasked to fix them - more career accumulation as opposed to progression methinks. The role felt like groundhog day as instead of head hunting, placing candidates and forming effective collaborative relationships I was measured on the productivity of my team and had to count the number of phone calls they made and outbound duration of calls vs duration inbound. I grew tired of this ineffective approach to recruitment and moved on. I worked for a couple of divisions and sadly, from my experience, the approach is the same - tired and ineffective. It's of no surprise to me that ICS are investing more in life sciences because while I'm sure they still make a lot of money in nursing, they are no longer regarded as the significant market leaders they once were due to the arrogant decision not meet cap rates as they thought they were irreplaceable within the NHS in 2016 where they lost significant market share.

Continue reading

"A great company with great people!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for less than a year

Pros

I think the most important aspect of a job is working with people that genuinely care about what they do. At Pulse, I got that impression from day one and I haven't changed my mind since! Everyone is really friendly and helpful and it makes doing my job even more enjoyable. Pulse are very strong when it comes to internal career progression; it feels like managers really advocate for their teams to grow and move up within the company. There is also transparency about how to develop and a clear understanding of what you need to do to achieve the next step up in your career. The benefits at Pulse are pretty good too, including a decent holiday allowance with the opportunity to buy/sell days. There is also a lot of emphasis put on raising money for charity which means lots of internal events, cake sales and collaborations. Overall a great company to work for and I'm so pleased to be part of the team!

Cons

Could be more flexible with working hours (start/finish times)

Continue reading

"A once great company that has lost its way"

2.0
    Former Employee - Business Account Manager in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There were some great people within the business. The CEO is a great leader, but his senior management let him down.

Cons

I worked for Pulse for over 10 years and the reviews I have seen on here do not reflect the poor treatment that I have seen happen especially over the last 2 years. The division I worked in had no direction or strategy. Poor decisions at senior management level lead to losing many major contracts and candidates. It all could have been different if they had listened to the staff who were on the ground who knew the market. This once great company who I absolutely loved working for let me down. Lack of support to do my job efficiently, poor communication, and being left to keep staff moral high after changes being made to the business that I had no say in. No career progression- a career pathway was spoken about and promised for over 3 years which never materialised. The bonus structure is an absolute joke for what is supposed to a recruitment company! finally the company of late has lost some really good employees who worked hard and grew the business at its peak, these employees were loyal and stayed because they wanted to see the company get to that success again, but you let them down. I'm still waiting for my exit interview so I thought I'd write a review.

August 7, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that your experience of working at Pulse wasn't as positive towards the end of your career as we'd like to achieve. I want to reassure you that we will take your feedback on board and ensure that we work with the Leadership team to address these concerns and take any remedial action to improve the experience of our employees both now and in the future. Thank you for your contribution to Pulse over the time you’ve worked with us. You have stated that you didn’t receive an exit interview; if you wish, please contact me at marcia.white@ukics.com, so that this can be arranged.

4. "Excellent environment to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King's Cross, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great on boarding Clear career progression Compared to other recruitment companies great work life balance Always looking for feedback from staff Investment in staff and technology to support business performance rather than cost cutting

Cons

Sometimes can be demotivating when you see others who don't put as much effort in as yourself be allowed to get away with it

March 1, 2019HR Business Partner

Hi - thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback and take this on board as we want this to continue to be a great place to work. It's great to read that you feel there is a clear career progression and work-life balance. Investment in our people and the business is key to growth and so it's great to see that you'd recommend Pulse as a great place to work.

5. "Pulse"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Clear Career Progression including pay rise's - Lots of supporting sales functions to make your role as stress free as possible - Managing Director for AHP is amazingly supportive and gets so involved - Training and support always offered - Uncapped commission, with a huge window to earn extra money/attend trips with quarterly and yearly incentives - Realistic KPIs

Cons

Recruitment can be stressful, i think everyone in the industry would agree that you need to put in what you want to get out. Pulse give everyone the tools to be able to thrive in a buzzy, fast paced, stressful environment should they be willing to put the work in. Pulse will do what they can to support you and relieve any stress where possible.

March 1, 2019HR Business Partner

Hi, it's great to read that you feel there is development and a clear progression route for our employees and that you'd recommend Pulse as a great place to work. We will support individuals wherever we can, however if you wish to feedback any suggestions as to how we can help our employees to manage stress then please let us know - we'd welcome your ideas. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

6. "Working at Pulse"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Cheshunt, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Great work/life balance • Excellent pay & commission scheme • Clear career progression, which is mapped out in a career pathway • Amazing benefits - holiday incentives, quarterly outings for high performance members of staff, discount vouchers, private healthcare option, pension scheme, 25 days holiday and much more • In depth training programme – a 12-week training programme that gives you the opportunity to learn from the Director, senior consultants and learning and development team. • Opportunities to further your education with support in the Certificate of Recruitment & many other courses for management and more.

Cons

Working for Pulse and in any sales environment can be extremely high pressured and demanding, this can often result in a stressful work environment. However, Pulse have always been very understanding of this and have always supported my stresses.

March 8, 2019HR Business Partner

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to read about the opportunities you've benefited from with training and development and the clear progression route and that you'd recommend Pulse as a great place to work. We will support individuals wherever we can, however if you wish to feedback any suggestions as to how we can help our employees to manage stress then please let us know - we'd welcome your ideas. It's great to read about your positive experience thus far and I hope that you continue to develop and progress in your career here.

7. "Fantastic recruitment company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent career progression, great benefits, real family feel, open and honest management, first class training, allows autonomy in role, forward thinking and encourages innovation.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to measure performance if profits aren’t moving forward - this is generally the nature of recruitment.

August 17, 2018Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've worked hard to ensure we create career progression opportunities for everyone so it great to hear this is having a positive impact. It also great to hear that we've retained a family feel despite our growth. We will continue to listen to our staff as always. Thanks

"Good start to a recruitment career"

4.0

I worked at Pulse (UK)

Pros

-Colleagues in the office very warm and welcoming -Team culture is strong and emphasis on working as a team -On-Boarding programme teaches you everything you need to succeed -Ongoing training and development opportunities -Kings Cross location is easy to get to if you live in London -team drinks/office competitions and charity work have become more frequent since 2017.

Cons

-Lack of career progression or a clear pathway after initial promotions. -Bonus structure isn't the clearest in comparison to competitiors -KPIs are very rigid meaning there is little room for consultants who are successful outside of the traditional mould.

January 4, 2018Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear that you feel our on-boarding programme sets our people up for success and that you experienced on-going training and development opportunities and frequent team and charity events whilst you were working with us. We are very passionate about supporting our employees to help them to grow within ICS; developing clear career paths, providing training and opportunities for progression is definitely a key focus across our business. We will of course continue keep the office culture - it's great to hear that you would recommend us as a great place to start your career!

"OK"

Bookings Coordinator in Kings Cross, England

I worked at Pulse (UK) for more than a year

Pros

Pulse provided company events, had a great Christmas party and is based in a great location! You generally can leave work when your contracted time is up. There seems to be opportunities for career progression e.g bookings consultant to recruitment consultant to senior consultant and then team leader (if you want to be in senior management though, it might be difficult to get there if you are from an ethnic minority)! They also have a good benefit system and the MD and CEO are friendly.

Cons

The commission. They tell you at your interview that you receive individual commission if you hit your targets and then when you start, they change it to a team target. Its ridiculous because even if you work hard and hit your target every month, unless everyone on the team hits the target, you get nothing! It is one of the reasons I left. You also get micro managed.... its like being in school... but if they like you, you can take a 30 minute loo break every 2 hours (which a few of my colleagues did- funnily enough- they were the ones NOT hitting their target)!

Continue reading

"0% chance of career progression here"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Private health insurance - HR team are good here - Nice offices

Cons

- No internal career progression and no opportunity to extend your knowledge - No acknowledgement from senior staff for overtime completed - No opportunity to extend your career knowledge even when you present them with courses to go on - Seem more willing to bring in external staff who fail every time in my time than willing to promote within which has worked every time so far in my time - Marketing team are rubbish

Found 20 reviews