Pulse (UK) Employee Reviews about "pulse"

Updated 22 Jun 2020

Pulse (UK) CEO Mike Barnard
Mike Barnard
Pros
  • "At Pulse, I got that impression from day one and I haven't changed my mind since(in 26 reviews)

• "Clear Career Progression including pay rise's(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pulse give everyone the tools to be able to thrive in a buzzy, fast paced, stressful environment should they be willing to put the work in(in 16 reviews)

• "Lack of career progression or a clear pathway after initial promotions(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "pulse"

Return to all Reviews

"Business Manager"

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time

Pros

I have fond memories of Christmas parties, managers away days, long service awards and summer barbecues when we had them. The geographical reach of ICS was always a plus which meant service to candidates and clients was simple and effective. While I didn't enjoy the training sessions as I felt they were outdated, meeting up with people from other offices was a good to share best practise. On a personal level I grew fond of many people there including my first director and the CEO, Richard. There is career progression but it's quite unavailing.

Cons

I worked my way up through Pulse over the course of 8 years. I worked hard every day because I wanted to grow the ladder, lead a team, earn more money and become pivotal in future plans for the company. What was once a vibrant, personable company eventually turned into a monster, hell bent on making money at almost any cost. When the agency caps hit, my positive career was immediately called into question and I was made to feel like I became bad at my job over night. I worked 10-12 hour days without any thanks. As I grew the ladder I realised that 'progression' was a myth; in fact, what happened was my base was partially increased inline with the increased responsibility however the way the commission structure is arranged meant my consultants were taking home more than me. I worked hard to get to management level but all it meant was endless meetings, I even had one meeting to discuss what we were going to discuss at a future meeting. My experience of career progression was accumulating other people's problem areas and being tasked to fix them - more career accumulation as opposed to progression methinks. The role felt like groundhog day as instead of head hunting, placing candidates and forming effective collaborative relationships I was measured on the productivity of my team and had to count the number of phone calls they made and outbound duration of calls vs duration inbound. I grew tired of this ineffective approach to recruitment and moved on. I worked for a couple of divisions and sadly, from my experience, the approach is the same - tired and ineffective. It's of no surprise to me that ICS are investing more in life sciences because while I'm sure they still make a lot of money in nursing, they are no longer regarded as the significant market leaders they once were due to the arrogant decision not meet cap rates as they thought they were irreplaceable within the NHS in 2016 where they lost significant market share.

"Wrong side of average"

I worked at Pulse (UK)

Pros

*Office location *Some good people work here (though lots have left / are leaving) *Well established company *Some good social events like Thursday night drinks every few months *Opportunities available on the intranet in other divisions so company is quite open *Have an oncall team so you don't have to take work home with you / oncall phone *Some good benefits - help cover travel, basic annual leave, team building trips *Do occasional charity events *Dress down Friday - donate a pound for charity *Free coffee and tea etc in the kitchen

Cons

*Company too big and has lost personal touch *Never had the commission structure explained. I billed more money from month to month but actually earned less. I've been on different schemes depending on how well team performs. It's always changing and I think it is discretionary dependent on my managers mood *Not a job if you're money hungry as there are too many limitations in place. If you do well then management often simply don't comply with the scheme from the last month. For example - I supplied into every available unit on my client list yet I got penalised for not converting a new client *Pointless targets as the indicator if you're doing a good job is if you make 100 calls in a day and are on the phone for 2 hours. Plenty of better ways to monitor progress *Different teams have different clients and you can be doing better than a colleague who is underachieving in a performing team but earn much less - it is not a level playing field regardless of what your manager implies *Management team are cliquey and rarely acknowledge the team working around them *unless your face fits* *Managers spend hours in meetings but we never get any feedback other than to ring more people - un-inspirational leaders and do little to motivate teams *Was often spoken to like a child being addressed by a teacher. I've recently completed university, got 4 A's at A-Level, worked very hard in my Pulse role and was very contientious so believe more respect was due. I learned that some managers are former nurses and have been there a long time which gave them an air of superiority which disengaged a large number of us *Managers don't say hello when they come in the office and you can see through them when they chat to you during their 'rounds'. This does nothing for the already low morale. They don't have to say hello but don't expect staff to be forthcoming when you come around for small talk *Work long hours without any thanks - tiny piece of a big business and that's how you get treated *Too many people (mainly a couple of managers) living on past glories. Clients may have historically been converted but keep coming back because of the service we continually provide, not because of a client meeting 20 years ago *Promotions are given not always earned. Given to keep hold of some staff or to conveniently replace people that leave. Recently a number of consultants were made senior but still did the same job as before *3 really good managers have left and weren't effectively replaced. I think 2 have gone to other parts of the company which makes me think it's not all bad just that this division is not a good place to be anymore *We were based over two floors in our office but laterly could fit on one as so many people have left *Change the plan every couple of months and don't have much faith in management. Lost lots of market share while management decided the best course of action but they never asked us directly who speak to the clients every day *When first employed I was promised the world but reality is very different - commission structure, career development, training, social events etc nothing is as outlined *When I started, I went through the onboarding process which was overkill especially given I had previous recruitment experience. Most colleagues that started at the same time have left now *Asked to do an interview with my manager but neither had ever done one before so looked like amateurs regardless of the set question interview form *Didn't get to vote on the designated charities we support and when I questioned about it I was told that we did but didn't voice our opinions so decision was taken out of our hands *Morale low and not a pleasant place to work *It's one rule for one person and a different for another; flexibility with break times, doctors appointments, targets, sickness, expectations, business dress *Pulse no longer regarded as the best agency in London and have lost a lot of market share *Office feels like a call centre *No sense of a team - I had no idea who half of my colleagues were who sat 4 desks away from me

Continue reading

"A great company with great people!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for less than a year

Pros

I think the most important aspect of a job is working with people that genuinely care about what they do. At Pulse, I got that impression from day one and I haven't changed my mind since! Everyone is really friendly and helpful and it makes doing my job even more enjoyable. Pulse are very strong when it comes to internal career progression; it feels like managers really advocate for their teams to grow and move up within the company. There is also transparency about how to develop and a clear understanding of what you need to do to achieve the next step up in your career. The benefits at Pulse are pretty good too, including a decent holiday allowance with the opportunity to buy/sell days. There is also a lot of emphasis put on raising money for charity which means lots of internal events, cake sales and collaborations. Overall a great company to work for and I'm so pleased to be part of the team!

Cons

Could be more flexible with working hours (start/finish times)

Continue reading

"Still Struggling to Compete"

1.0

I worked at Pulse (UK)

Pros

Was with the company for 8 years, I believed what we were doing was good for the NHS and Private clients which is was as it was all about service and quality which in the early days was true. Good co-workers which on my team we worked like a team and would be there to support each other and would get some fantastic numbers on the board and didn’t let the major micro management certain other team’s experiences distract us however cringe worthy it would be sometimes to watch. Good benefits which you would expect from a corporate environment and management on the outside would be friendly. Nice enough offices, Kings Cross so fine to get too.

Cons

Management were in a bubble with no diversity race wise and at one point due to the Divisional Boss who was a founder was quite Anti Male (This May of changed now) One question I thought was very weird at the 2nd interview was how would you feel working for a woman??? I thought I had kinda stepped back time and responded with surprise at the question but answered accordingly. You would have to fight to get your bonus of them, they would make up silly KPI’s which they knew were outdated and use it to deduct percentages off your bonus if you would let them get away with it. An example would be one month we were set a ridiculous target as a team and if the team didn’t hit it then you could of hit 40K just yourself but if your team didn’t hit it you wouldn’t get anything. My team were £5K of a target that was raised to a ridiculous amount yet we almost did it and we got nothing, no bonus yet management got theirs. That was the last time, as a team we decided to stop pushing if we didn’t feel we were going to hit the target and basically told management this as there would be no point so they then gave us a percentage of what we would get but still wasn’t much of an incentive if your doing really well personally. Middle management would always contradict itself as they would alway walk out of that LMT meeting with the most silly tasks which would send staff a different message to a couple of weeks ago which they then couldn’t justify when they would be questioned on this. Company lost its way with the introduction of NHS Caps, Pulse was always known for its quality but the biggest complaint from clients was how much they were being charged which was considerably more than other agencies were charging, when caps came in management decided that they knew best and wanted to keep their margin and assumed others would follow by declining the caps. They were wrong other agencies were actually far off the caps in terms of what they were charging so it didn’t need that much adjusting and over night Pulse lost Big Clients, Teams went from hitting £30K - £40K to barely hitting £10K - £15K which was the beginning of the end. Forward 2020 X2 New Divisional Director’s later and unfortunately Pulse haven’t been able to move on from the past. Speaking to people surprisingly still there from the old management they are effectively working for little or no commission as they have never recovered and other agencies have built positively working within Caps and IR35 and morale at Pulse is at an all time low and I’ve been informed that they are now changing the commission structure again which has been something they have been doing frequently with little success finding one that suits both parties.

February 3, 2020HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's good to read about the experience you had with your co-workers and that whilst you were working for us you considered our benefits and our work environment to be positive aspects of our business. It's disappointing to read your comments in relation to previous management and that your experience of working at Pulse wasn’t as positive as we’d like to achieve. We know the approach taken with the NHS caps had an impact on our business, however, this is something we have learned from. There have been changes to the structure and leadership team within the Pulse Nursing business and we are confident that issues you refer to are no longer current. We have recently introduced a career pathway, individual and team recognition and incentives and are working towards a clear vision for 2020. We always appreciate feedback, whether good or bad, in order to help us make Pulse a great place to work. Your comments have been fed back and we will work with the Leadership team to address these concerns so as to improve the experience of our employees both now and in the future. Thanks again for your contribution to Pulse over the time you’ve worked with us.

5. "Ability to make money if you put the work in."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pulse allows you to work autonomously but also as part of a team as there is always somebody to help and support you to get to the top. The holiday allowance is beneficial as it makes you realise the importance of work / life balance.

Cons

Not everybody takes advantage of the structure and ability to progress.

January 31, 2020HR Business Partner

Hi, it's great to read about your positive experience and that you feel you have had support to help you in your role. I hope that you continue to develop and progress in your career here. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

"A once great company that has lost its way"

2.0
    Former Employee - Business Account Manager in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There were some great people within the business. The CEO is a great leader, but his senior management let him down.

Cons

I worked for Pulse for over 10 years and the reviews I have seen on here do not reflect the poor treatment that I have seen happen especially over the last 2 years. The division I worked in had no direction or strategy. Poor decisions at senior management level lead to losing many major contracts and candidates. It all could have been different if they had listened to the staff who were on the ground who knew the market. This once great company who I absolutely loved working for let me down. Lack of support to do my job efficiently, poor communication, and being left to keep staff moral high after changes being made to the business that I had no say in. No career progression- a career pathway was spoken about and promised for over 3 years which never materialised. The bonus structure is an absolute joke for what is supposed to a recruitment company! finally the company of late has lost some really good employees who worked hard and grew the business at its peak, these employees were loyal and stayed because they wanted to see the company get to that success again, but you let them down. I'm still waiting for my exit interview so I thought I'd write a review.

August 7, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that your experience of working at Pulse wasn't as positive towards the end of your career as we'd like to achieve. I want to reassure you that we will take your feedback on board and ensure that we work with the Leadership team to address these concerns and take any remedial action to improve the experience of our employees both now and in the future. Thank you for your contribution to Pulse over the time you’ve worked with us. You have stated that you didn’t receive an exit interview; if you wish, please contact me at marcia.white@ukics.com, so that this can be arranged.

7. "Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Compliance Manager in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pulse have put in place a great career pathway, which means you are in control of what you want to achieve in your career and the timescale in which to achieve it. There is a high level of on-going personal developement which is personally tailored rather than just attending generic training sessions.

Cons

Parking can sometimes be limited

April 8, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are passionate about supporting our employees to help them to grow within Pulse and ICS; developing clear career paths and providing training and opportunities for progression is a key focus across our business. It's great to read about your positive experience thus far and I hope that you continue to develop and progress in your career here

8. "Pulse Nursing teams"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Having been part of the Pulse family for 10 years I am proud to work for such a great company. You have autonomy and trust to help grow the business, open communication and so much in terms of benefits from a simple thank you, through to an amazing Christmas party.

Cons

Very few, the nature of what we do = fast pace and often a busy environment, but if you work hard the pros certainly out weigh the cons

March 8, 2019HR Business Partner

Hi, it's great to read about your positive experience and to see that you'd recommend this as a great place to work. Listening and acting upon feedback play a key part in engaging with our employees and we'll continue to do so. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

9. "Lovely place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pulse has a great training programme for new starters and continues to support you throughout your career with regular training & upsklling on market changes. Great incentives in place to keep us motivated whether it be the ability to win a £10 voucher or a trip away! There is always opportunity for you to grow with a clear career pathway. Enjoyable office with a great buzz! Overall a great place to work!!

Cons

Nothing significant that I need to share!!

March 1, 2019HR Business Partner

Hello, it's great to read about your positive experience and to see that you'd recommend this as a great place to work. Developing our people and recognition are a key part of engaging with our employees. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

10. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time

Pros

Pulse have been very supportive and have kept to their word since i have started. The training that i have received has been amazing and has covered every detail.

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons. But it is normal to have a bad day, but if you are having a bad day the atmosphere in the office is so motivating and drives you to work hard and their is so much support and experience around you.

March 8, 2019HR Business Partner

Hello, it's great to read about your positive experience. Developing our people and having a great on-boarding process for our new joiners are key to success. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I hope that you continue to develop and progress in your career here.

Found 39 reviews