QIAGEN Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Found 336 reviews

3.8
QIAGEN CEO Peer M. Schatz
Peer M. Schatz
  1. "Bioinformatics Sales Specialist"

I have been working at QIAGEN full-time

Pros

Good work life balance and employee support.

Cons

Frequent structural changes and unrealistic targets.

QIAGEN2019-03-12
  2. "overall a good place to work, but better if you're German"

I worked at QIAGEN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A German-owned-run-headquartered company, QIAGEN is a good place to work, overall. It exhibits a typical hierarchical structure, so recognize that all significant decisions and timelines come from HQ. Working at QIAGEN is great for junior employees to mid-level managers.

Cons

all significant decisions and timelines come from HQ. Most business support activities like Payroll, Customer Service, and IT have been outsourced, so get used to hunting for a solution, developing a workaround, and waiting for email replies.

QIAGEN2019-03-18

"Proud to be a part of QIAGEN"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Frederick, MD

I worked at QIAGEN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice company with many great products and technologies. Friendly colleagues and easy atmosphere.

Cons

My boss had no knowledge of his job and was one of the laziest managers I've worked, if not the worst one. Unfortunately, he just used others' hard work to credit his terrible performance.

Advice to Management

Find a way to promote and recognize good people, and fire people who can not do their job well especially for leadership roles.

QIAGEN2019-02-26
  4. "The people are great but...."

Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at QIAGEN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people who work at Qiagen are what make it a great place to work rather than the job itself. The benefits are good but Qiagen is not the only company to offer these and the same can be said for flexible working hours. Work life balance is ok but the onus is on the individual employee to enforce this rather than the company as a whole.

Cons

Stress levels can be high depending on which project you are allocated to and who the managers are. Some Projects are given all the resource and everyone else is expected to cope There is a high turn over of staff at all levels of the company The pay is low for the industry and location yet they want highly motivated employees. (Even after the ~4years I have been here my pay is less than my previous job) New...

Advice to Management

You have said you want to decrease staff turn over but you seem unwilling to listen to the advice from your staff that pay is the biggest issue for people leaving.

QIAGEN2019-02-21

"Small US branch of European company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at QIAGEN full-time

Pros

Good colleagues, kind atmosphere.

Cons

No internal growth opportunities unless someone left the company. Almost 1/3 of work forces are contractors. Terrible work/life balance. They claim that their 2019 benefit is competitive. but It is very difficult to agree with them. Once you compare their salary, insurance, vacation and bonus to other companies, you may get this point.

QIAGEN2019-03-09
  6. "Interesting work and people for a rock solid company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at QIAGEN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This site works mostly on the DNA sequencing instruments and reagents. The team is a mix of scientists, chemists, engineers, data analysts, and support staff. The work is challenging, the products will make real positive impact on people's lives, and the team is great to work with. The team in Waltham is very diverse in both specialty and background and those working on other parts of the system are global, which...

Cons

This is a smaller site in a larger company that was initiated from an old acquisition (which may mean something only to those who have experienced it before). There were growing pains that are mostly hammer out. Also, doing fast-paced development of technology heavy products with a truly global team (working on other parts of a diagnostic sequencing product) is not always easy.

QIAGEN2019-01-30
  7. "Field application specialist"

I have been working at QIAGEN full-time

Pros

Everyone in the team started out as a scientist and overall show a good understanding of the clients needs.

Cons

As QIAGEN is a global organisation it can sometimes be difficult to reach out to people in different time zones.

QIAGEN2019-01-25
  8. "Great pay and management team!"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance

I worked at QIAGEN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, very nice management

Cons

There are times where you can be really busy but weeks where you can be very slow at work

QIAGEN2019-02-08

QIAGEN Response

February 18, 2019Senior Recruiter

Hello, thanks for feedback. Be sure to work with your manager to see if there are other tasks you can do during the slow period.

9. "it pays"

I have been working at QIAGEN full-time

Pros

they pay you and not much else

Cons

no real professional growth and overworking as standard

QIAGEN2019-01-24
  10. "Good people"

Current Employee - Scientist in Germantown, MD

I have been working at QIAGEN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We have a lot of 'boomerangs' at QIAGEN, and each one that comes back says the same thing, "I missed the people". We have good people, they care, they're smart, dedicated to the job.

Cons

Upper management makes aweful decisions. But wait long enough, what was old will be new again.

Advice to Management

Hire better upper level management. Not self-serving, all-confident facades, but earnest people that actually care and listen.

QIAGEN2019-01-23

QIAGEN Response

February 18, 2019Senior Recruiter

Hello, Thanks for your feedback. Feel free to speak with your HR Partner as well. We welcome all feedback. Thanks

Found 336 reviews