RWDI Reviews

Updated 28 Apr 2020

3.1
RWDI President Michael Soligo
Michael Soligo
  1. "Absolutely awful do not work for them"

1.0

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at RWDI

Pros

There are no pros or good reasons to work for RWDI

Cons

Low pay awful training with some rude disrespectful back stabbing staff And no way of moving forward within the company

RWDI2017-03-20

RWDI Response

March 23, 2017Sr HR Advisor

Dear Team Member, We are concerned to hear that your current experience with RWDI has not been positive. Your description of your experience is not consistent with the values of our organization nor the top employer we strive to be. Your feedback is valuable to us and we encourage you to reach out to your leader or Human Resources representative to address your concerns directly. All the best.

2. "RWDI Rating"

Former Employee - Environmental Air Quality Scientist in Mississauga, ON

I worked at RWDI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent working environment - helpful and motivated. You can ask anyone for help and everyone is willing to spend time to help each other out.

Cons

There is a possibility to get pigeon-holed into one type of client/project and as such the work can get a bit monotonous. However that is most likely the case with most consulting firms.

RWDI2016-10-13

"Great Place to Work"

in Guelph, ON

I have been working at RWDI

Pros

Competitive pay, exciting work, good benefits, people like the people they work with, a powerhouse of experienced professionals, mentorship available. There are career opportunities. The culture promotes each person to own this. "Opportunity is here for those who seek it". Take ownership.

Cons

Are there challenges? Yes Is it perfect? No What company is? Biggest issues are communication and recognition. Employees can work more with management here to be part of the solution. It takes everyone.

RWDI2016-03-04
  4. "Awesome place"

5.0
    Software Developer in Guelph, ON

I worked at RWDI

Pros

Amazing place, great people, great pay. Great projects , weekly meetings. Never felt like work

Cons

None that I can think of

RWDI2016-03-07
  5. "Good Company to Work"

I have been working at RWDI

Pros

Good inter-office communication Can work for anywhere in Canada Work life balance Flexible work Good Bonus structure Very good team

Cons

Salary is average but decent

RWDI2016-02-03
  6. "Great at the start"

I worked at RWDI full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and ability to work remotely; Ability to focus on technical development with separate technical and project management streams

Cons

Too much restructuring has led to ineffective management and low morale; Too much "painting the rainbow" before starting layoffs

RWDI2015-08-15
  7. "Project Coordinator"

in Guelph, ON

I worked at RWDI

Pros

There are people with very good technical background although it is hard to learn because they are busy and they cannot spend time with new employees.

Cons

They can not schedule the projects properly and this can cause frustration to the engineers. It is also very hard for them to make changes and it usually requires lots of time for that to happen.

RWDI2015-08-07

"Decent place to work, but nothing to rave about."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at RWDI

Pros

- Co-workers are the best part of RWDI. The people are nice and there is a balance between senior, intermediate and junior staff. - Interesting project work compared to many basic engineering firms. - No mentorship or structured training programs

Cons

- Salaries are just below average for everyone but upper management, who are very well paid. - Vacation time is 3 weeks to start,does not increase for 10 years. - Can be very stressful since it's a consulting environment. - Small management structure which sounds good but struggles to manage 400+ employees

RWDI2015-03-02

"I had a lot of fun at the start..."

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Guelph, ON

I worked at RWDI full-time

Pros

Great variety of projects. In my career there I worked on over 600 projects on 6 continents. Tight deadlines means you seldom have time to get bored. You get to work with a variety of people, from model shop, to tunnel operators, to project managers. Some of the senior guys have been there forever and have vast amounts of technical knowledge. There are three paths to moving up: technical expertise, project management and leadership roles. Lots of internal R&D opportunities. Opportunities to publish and go to technical conferences. Opportunities for travel.

Cons

Internal training only happens when there is money, which for the last 5 years hasn't been often. R&D doesn't happen as often as desired. They underpay and overwork most of the engineers, and then you don't get overtime once you become a senior. There is a tendency to move people around departments if they aren't working out somewhere, rather than fire them. Of the more than 20 principles, there is only one (maybe two) women. There are few women in engineering roles. The group in upper management has been in that position for 10-20 years and tends to shuffle the roles among themselves, rather than bring younger people up. Upper management spends a lot of time talking about how to bring in new talent, but very little about how to retain talent, especially those in technical roles with 5-10 years of experience.

RWDI2013-08-12

"RWDI is a good place to work"

4.0

I have been working at RWDI full-time

Pros

I work in the Environmental part of RWDI so what I think about our group may not apply to others. Overall the pros are: decent wages, very smart colleagues, flexible schedule, OK work-life balance, interesting projects (at least in my current team), top management seems to be quite open about how the company operates etc. The job seems stable. The company seems to be trying to improve employee experience. Also, there is an employee stock purchase program which I head is a good deal. Benefits are good as far as I can tell. On the business side, the company is doing well and steadily growing. Overall, I have not had any major issues so far and I would recommend this place to a friend.

Cons

Wages are just decent - definitely not in the oil-and-gas league :) Vacation is short - 3 weeks until you have 10 years experience... Overtime is rarely paid. Tight budget for simple things sometimes. Ridiculous spending by some PMs on stupid things. Most cons are minor, but they exist.

RWDI2013-07-18