Raytheon Technologies Employee Reviews about "9 80 schedule"

Updated 25 Jun 2020

3.7
Raytheon Technologies CEO Gregory J. Hayes
Gregory J. Hayes
Pros
  • "Work life balance - especially for working parents(in 419 reviews)

• "9/80 schedule, you get every other Friday off (standard in Defense Contractors)(in 332 reviews)

Cons
  • "Finding a work/life balance can be difficult to find unless you are firm with setting boundaries(in 99 reviews)

• "Much of upper management is at retiring age and they have a culture of taking a long time to reach key positions(in 90 reviews)

Reviews about "9 80 schedule"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, cool products. 9/80 schedule is awesome.

Cons

Government contracting is a unique world and there is a ton of redtape that goes along with it

2. "Interesting work but sexist when it comes to pay"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Tewksbury, MA

I worked at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work is interesting and fun. Good benefits. 9/80 work weeks

Cons

I found out I was being paid only $1-2k more than male new college hires when I had been working there 3 years. Same thing happened to two other women I worked with. When bringing sexism up to management nothing happens. I didn’t even get any feedback, much less any change. The sexism is pretty clear. They also don’t pay enough for the cost of living in Massachusetts in general. It’s impossible to get fired here. I heard a man talking on the phone in his cube say something extremely racist. After reporting to management and HR, there didn’t seem to be any punishment.

3. "Good Experience"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

9/80 Schedule Entry-level friendly Willingness to train

Cons

Salary low compared to other companies Usually working overtime, at least in finance

4. COVID-19

"It depends... Probably not the best for Software, good in other areas."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, RI
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on what you want to do with your career, Raytheon can be a good place to start or stay. Bear in mind everything I'm saying is for the office in Portsmouth, RI, and for the biggest program over there, which is in a "maintenance stage", your experience might be very different in other programs/location. For a Software Engineer, unless you're planning to move to management or leadership and you REALLY like this industry (the military, defense, politics) I do not recommend you stay here too long as your skills as a "Software Developer" are going to quickly deteriorate and come to a halt, it might become really hard to get a job in Software/Technology companies after getting used to how things are done here. Salaries are comparable to other defense companies, but really below to what the market offers in commercial companies (When I switched to my current employee my salary literally doubled), Health Insurance is just bad, very expensive high deductive plans . Needless to say, there are a lot of great people here and I feel grateful for how well they treated me and all the opportunity I was given. Some of the highlights for the Pros: - There are some really nice and smart people that work here, people are willing to help you and guide you through on baby steps. - 9/80 schedule, you get every other Friday off (standard in Defense Contractors) - Modtime: you can adjust your schedule within reason to complete your hours for the week (this is double edge sword, as you are expected to record your time by the minute, more on this on the cons) - 10k Education Reimbursement (at least at the time I was there). - Overall a very relaxed environment (although this depends on the project/location), but in general you just worry about putting in your hours for the week and you're done. - 2 Weeks off in December because of the Holidays.

Cons

Oh boy... where do I start? There's a lot of things I didn't like about this place, and a lot of it is baked in the culture already, either because people here have only worked here and they don't know any better, or "that's just how things are" in the defense industry. There is a lot "Factory Worker" mentality here (at least with Software Engineers), you're expected to record your hours by the minute, and by that, I mean that different task/projects get different "charge codes" allocated to them and you're supposed to record and "charge" to those "codes" for every task you do. That leads to some really awkward moments, like meetings that you have to "make up" the time for because there is no charge code associated with them. A lot of people avoid company events because that would mean that you would have to end up making up the time for it (All-hands meetings, different organizations activities, etc). A lot of the mandatory training you'll have to make up in you're own time (although leadership was trying to change this by the time left). Yup, you read that right "MANDATORY TRAINING" on "YOUR OWN TIME", and we're not talking about training that is going to be useful to you in your career as an Engineer, I mean "Ethics" module and what not... This factory mentality leads to other things like holidays only providing you 8 hours to charge on 9 hour days and you having to make up 1 hour for every holiday. Work from home, allowed in certain programs, but very discouraged, you'll have to write a direct letter to your supervisor and manager explaining where you're going to "spend those hours". Snowday? Forget it, you can just do mod time or PTO. I even heard they were trying to make people use PTO or make mod time during the COVID-19 crisis. These are things that would be unacceptable in any other company, but here everybody is used to it so everybody dismisses it as "is just the way it is". My last point, probably the most important one and the reason I left, is that you won't be doing a lot of "Engineering" here. The biggest program here is the "maintenance" stage. Meaning that you'll be going through a big pile of technical debt trying to fix bugs and implement minor functionality. All of these with technology decades old, no tools and vision to fix the root of the problems(IDE? nah we use vim, Version Control? You'll be stuck with Clearcase, etc...). Don't expect to be attending seminars about the latest industry trends and/or best practices, don't even think about doing training outside the corporate modules about the technologies you're currently working with (which again, are at least 15 old). At the end of the day, if for some reason the program you're working loses funding (common in defense), you'll have a very weak foundation to continue your career in Software, at least outside defense.

5. "Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time

Pros

9/80 work schedule is nice to have.

Cons

Benefits plan generally is not good.

6. "Good"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time

Pros

9/80 flexible schedule, paid holidays, PTO

Cons

need at least 5 words, no cons.

7. "Really enjoying it"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of interesting programs, plenty of smart people. Great flexibility, work from home, 9/80 schedule, good pay.

Cons

Large company, plenty of red tape and bloated programs.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work arrangements 9/80 schedule Willing to find the right fit for you

Cons

Low cost of living increases

9. "Wonderful employer"

5.0
    Current Employee - Labor Relations Manager in Andover, MA

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Internal promotions, strong tuition reimbursement, mentor program, cross functional promotions, 9/80 schedule, generous PTO program

Cons

Long days, competition with cross functional groups,

10. "Overall great company to work for"

Current Employee - Technical Planner

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

9/80 and ability to work from home. Great people. You will be treated with respect. Learn a lot about the defense industry. Great for entry level and college grads. Great values for a large company.

Cons

Networking needs to be better. The usual pros/cons of any large employer.

Found 332 reviews