Find jobs for Software Engineer

Updated 12 Jun 2020

3.5
Raytheon Technologies CEO Gregory J. Hayes
Gregory J. Hayes
  1. "Great place to work and a further your skills."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive pay. Great work environment.

Cons

Sometimes take work home with you.

2. "Good company with good work life balance"

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer II in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon Technologies full-time

Pros

Good people and great company over all

Cons

Technology stack is fairly boring

3. "Typical"

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally interesting work and easy to move around internally if you aren't enjoying what you're doing

Cons

Compensation is well below par for the area and it is extremely hard to move up.

4. "Best workstation"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

good co workers. good managing.good benefits

Cons

you can not progress so fast you should be patient

5. COVID-19

"It depends... Probably not the best for Software, good in other areas."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, RI
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on what you want to do with your career, Raytheon can be a good place to start or stay. Bear in mind everything I'm saying is for the office in Portsmouth, RI, and for the biggest program over there, which is in a "maintenance stage", your experience might be very different in other programs/location. For a Software Engineer, unless you're planning to move to management or leadership and you REALLY like this industry (the military, defense, politics) I do not recommend you stay here too long as your skills as a "Software Developer" are going to quickly deteriorate and come to a halt, it might become really hard to get a job in Software/Technology companies after getting used to how things are done here. Salaries are comparable to other defense companies, but really below to what the market offers in commercial companies (When I switched to my current employee my salary literally doubled), Health Insurance is just bad, very expensive high deductive plans . Needless to say, there are a lot of great people here and I feel grateful for how well they treated me and all the opportunity I was given. Some of the highlights for the Pros: - There are some really nice and smart people that work here, people are willing to help you and guide you through on baby steps. - 9/80 schedule, you get every other Friday off (standard in Defense Contractors) - Modtime: you can adjust your schedule within reason to complete your hours for the week (this is double edge sword, as you are expected to record your time by the minute, more on this on the cons) - 10k Education Reimbursement (at least at the time I was there). - Overall a very relaxed environment (although this depends on the project/location), but in general you just worry about putting in your hours for the week and you're done. - 2 Weeks off in December because of the Holidays.

Cons

Oh boy... where do I start? There's a lot of things I didn't like about this place, and a lot of it is baked in the culture already, either because people here have only worked here and they don't know any better, or "that's just how things are" in the defense industry. There is a lot "Factory Worker" mentality here (at least with Software Engineers), you're expected to record your hours by the minute, and by that, I mean that different task/projects get different "charge codes" allocated to them and you're supposed to record and "charge" to those "codes" for every task you do. That leads to some really awkward moments, like meetings that you have to "make up" the time for because there is no charge code associated with them. A lot of people avoid company events because that would mean that you would have to end up making up the time for it (All-hands meetings, different organizations activities, etc). A lot of the mandatory training you'll have to make up in you're own time (although leadership was trying to change this by the time left). Yup, you read that right "MANDATORY TRAINING" on "YOUR OWN TIME", and we're not talking about training that is going to be useful to you in your career as an Engineer, I mean "Ethics" module and what not... This factory mentality leads to other things like holidays only providing you 8 hours to charge on 9 hour days and you having to make up 1 hour for every holiday. Work from home, allowed in certain programs, but very discouraged, you'll have to write a direct letter to your supervisor and manager explaining where you're going to "spend those hours". Snowday? Forget it, you can just do mod time or PTO. I even heard they were trying to make people use PTO or make mod time during the COVID-19 crisis. These are things that would be unacceptable in any other company, but here everybody is used to it so everybody dismisses it as "is just the way it is". My last point, probably the most important one and the reason I left, is that you won't be doing a lot of "Engineering" here. The biggest program here is the "maintenance" stage. Meaning that you'll be going through a big pile of technical debt trying to fix bugs and implement minor functionality. All of these with technology decades old, no tools and vision to fix the root of the problems(IDE? nah we use vim, Version Control? You'll be stuck with Clearcase, etc...). Don't expect to be attending seminars about the latest industry trends and/or best practices, don't even think about doing training outside the corporate modules about the technologies you're currently working with (which again, are at least 15 old). At the end of the day, if for some reason the program you're working loses funding (common in defense), you'll have a very weak foundation to continue your career in Software, at least outside defense.

Continue reading
  6. "Overall good, some management complaints but who doesn't have those?"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies for less than a year

Pros

As with all of these posts, this represents one person in one office in a large, large company. My favorite aspect of this job is that people will listen to you even if you're the new guy as long as you know what you're doing and are willing to pull your weight. It's just about getting stuff done, not who's been here 30 years. I've never felt that pressure from management that I'm not working fast enough that I've felt in every previous job. I think management here understands that work takes times to do. If a ticket doesn't close in time, it just didn't close in time and you keep working it or they move it out of the release if they want to.

Cons

I am not a fan of the (seemingly, but not really) constant meetings. I understand there needs to be a lot of structure and communication with larger projects, such as the one I am on, so I don't see this as a huge problem specific to this company. Agile is being pushed on the developers with an iron fist, but management doesn't always hold up their end of the deal. For example, we don't have acceptance criteria and our sprint retrospective feedback seems to be ignored. Also the deadline-driven culture leaves less room for addressing technical debt than I would like. I don't enjoy choosing speed over quality constantly. I understand deadlines are king, but I do want to be proud of the software I write. This may seem to contradict my positive statement above about not being pressure to work faster. But this isn't about speed, it's about them prioritizing the tech debt tickets into the super backlog.

7. "Great Company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many opportunities to work on a wide portfolio of programs.

Cons

Must deal with bureaucracy of a large company.

8. "Great company, good people, fun work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newport News, VA

I worked at Raytheon Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company, interesting work. Lots of opportunity after merger. Great culture.

Cons

project leads need more training. leadership training. skills training. Sometimes approvals take long.

Continue reading
  9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Aurora, CO
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Solid job security at a company that values diversity. I feel that the company and my managers value my contributions.

Cons

Most programs are classified, which means working in a closed environment.

10. "Old technology"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Raytheon Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

you work 8 hours a day and very little over time

Cons

technology is old. and hard to get a raise

Found 388 reviews