Riot Games Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.0
Riot Games CEO Brandon Beck
Brandon Beck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I signed up to deal with the massive amounts of data that League of Legends collects (in 35 reviews)

• Work-life balance is outstanding (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be tricky (in 59 reviews)

• The growing pains combined with lack of long term, or often even short term vision means there is a LOT of wasted output (in 25 reviews)

"Software Developer"

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Advice to Management

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)
    Pros
    • So many resources to learn if you put the effort in. I’ve never had anyone at Riot refuse to help or teach, nor have I ever had a request for additional education (classes, books, etc) be denied if they made sense. • Our hiring standards are very strict, and results in us getting the absolute best people. Some don’t work out, but they are given the opportunity to improve. Working with such talented people is very i…
    Cons
    • It can be very hard to get something done. Regardless of how good an idea is, how easy it might be to pull off, we’re always under staffed which results in having to fight to get a project off the ground, let alone released. • Work-life balance is very difficult, especially for new people. It’s very easy to be taken in by the culture at Riot and forget about the outside world. And if you’re not very experienced, this is even more important. Some people get burnt out, some people let their personal lives fall apart; others are self-aware enough to manage their balance well. • We don’t really train people very well, instead we throw them in the deep end. I could see this being either a pro or a con but ultimately I think we could be doing a much better job of trying to figure out what we should teach people when they start, and how we might be able to ensure they have the tools they need to get started. • Being a regional office, we have very limited opportunities for career growth. You really need to be able to tie your satisfaction to your output, not your job title or management opportunities.
    Advice to Management
    Any feedback I have for Management has already been given in person; they’re all easy to talk to.

2. "Community Specialist"

Former Employee - Community Development Specialist in Sydney
    Former Employee - Community Development Specialist in Sydney

I worked at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Great culture
    Growth minded
    Low processes and bureaucracy

Cons

Becoming a little reliant on data
    Becoming a little risk adverse

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on growth mindset and remember why we hire gamers and LoL players so that we instinctively know what we should be working on.

3. "Challenging but rewarding"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Riot Games (Less than a year)

Pros

I have to thank Riot Oceania for giving me one of the best opportunities I've ever had to advance my career and achieve my goals. I was a pretty scruffy candidate, all things considered, but they chose to believe in my potential nonetheless. They take their recruitment very, very seriously -- every single word on the website about their culture and values is 100% true. I really appreciated the honesty from the interviewers and recruiters at every stage of the process. It didn't feel like "are you good enough to tick these boxes", but rather "are you the right person for us, and are we the right company for you".

The work is so rewarding at Riot. As a League of Legends player of seven years, I really felt like every single thing I shipped added value to the game and to Oceanic players. People talk about Riot OCE as an Australian arm of the company, and I think that's a pretty good way to sum it up. The office banter is great, most people there are gamers like you (hopefully you're a gamer or I'd think hard about whether you really want to work for a games company!), and feedback is always welcome and available.

You'll also have a lot of opportunities to pick up other skills while at Riot. Although Rioters can come off as a little irreverent about including you in their own projects, you can relax knowing that they're always coming from the right place -- they believe you can add value, and they're really happy to work with you.

The office is awesome. I drank more orange juice and consumed more Shin Ramyun in my time at Riot than the rest of my life put together. Being able to play games at work is a neat bonus that actually helps you do your job better too (although I limited my Dota 2 time to after hours...).

Cons

I can't speak for others, but for my position, there really wasn't much in the way of work/life balance. Ultimately that's why I decided to leave. But retrospectively, I think it was only this way because I was so committed to Riot's mission that I gave too much of myself to it. Riot do their best (within reason) to get you to your important family events, soccer games, church, whatever, but sometimes the nature of the job just doesn't allow for it.

The training could be better. I came in with a bit of a lopsided statsheet, and it took me ages to get up to scratch with the other aspects of the job that I wasn't experienced in. It was partly on me because I didn't ask for enough help, but I still feel that I was underequipped for my first few months.

It can be frustrating working for a regional office like Sydney, too. You join Riot wanting to be a hero for the players, but once you learn about and understand all the things that are holding Riot back from getting stuff out the door, you feel awful whenever you see a player asking for something that you personally can't deliver on (without sacrificing your personal time).

Advice to Management

Gave all the advice in my exit interview, but keep at it and stay true to Riot values.

5. "This is the most challenging place I’ve ever worked, and I wouldn’t leave for anything."

Current Employee - Development Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Our hiring standards are very strict, and results in us getting the absolute best people. Some don’t work out, but they are given the opportunity to improve. Working with such talented people is very intimidating, but also satisfying. I’m constantly impressed by what my team is capable of and have complete trust in what they’re doing.
    • I recently had some personal challenges and it was impacting my work – instead of getting reprimanded, my manager asked how he could help and the result not only alleviated some stress, but actually helped me to resolve the issues I was having and take care of things at home.
    • We’re a very collaborative bunch – we’re always relying on our team mates to help provide some expertise or even just an opposing viewpoint.
    • We like to experiment – sometimes it turns out good, sometimes it doesn’t, but we always get some learning out of it and you’re not faulted for failing unless you do it repeatedly without learning.

Advice to Management

6. "It was exciting when I started and it hasn't gone away"

Current Employee - Creative Services Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Creative Services Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the best way I can sum up Riot OCE is when I first started here I thought 'Why would you want to work anywhere else?' and 2 years later that hasn't changed.

When I first walked in we were in a temporary office, there were a handful of employees and I was shown to a desk without a keyboard and told to figure it out. That was my onboarding experience.

Truth be told I loved it, I was put in a situation where I had to crawl outside my comfort zone and try to figure things out. Riot OCE has gotten better at onboarding since then, there's a multi-day program in an amazing office, games with the team and a new starter BBQ. That said I loved being put in a situation where it was 'here's your desk, go figure it out'.

Other places I have worked it has always been about here's what you are supposed to be doing, now go do it. Riot has always been about what do you think? What is your take on this? How can we make this better?

It was exciting when I started and it hasn't gone away. Everywhere else I have ever worked I go through a couple of months of 'new job honeymoon' where everything is exciting and time flies. Then I start to hit the 3-4 month zone and you usually have your role figured out - after 6 months you have it on lockdown and that's when I wouldn't be really challenging anymore and work starts to get procedural.

That never happens here. The things you work on and the role you have with the company grows as you do. If you want to kick down doors and take on more responsibility you will be given the chance to do so. I would caution to say that if you're looking for a place where you can just be a number on a team then it's not going to work out - it's very much a high performance culture.

In terms of what's changed from two years ago? I would say that I have grown a lot here. I've never been challenged in a constructive way like I have been here. The team is incredibly smart, driven and united on the purpose of us being here. The mission is not just a corporate slogan on the wall, it's the driving force of every decision we make. It's pretty common to be in a meeting and people collaborate on trying to understand exactly what the best player experience for a particular project means. It can be exhilarating if you are passionate about gaming, if you're not you will find it a challenge.

I still walk across the Pyrmont bridge going 'wow I get to work at Riot games today'. There's also perks like free food (breakfast on Tues/Thurs, Lunch on Weds), half price gym, free healthcare, great office space, travel, swag, etc, but to me they are icing on the cake. The best review on the perks and the talent (HR) team here is the company will always support you in whatever you are trying to do - you really do get taken care of well.

But IMO the best reason to work here is the empowerment and trust. Your manager won't be micromanaging you and telling you how to do your work, you'll help shape the goals for your role and then you will own how to go out there and deliver on them.

Office culture here is a big thing too. Everyone knows each other because we are a tight-knit team, it's also very welcoming to new people and so far everyone that has started here has gotten on with everyone really well.

There are a lot of social events, Riot organised as well as just put together by people at work. It's pretty common for someone organising anything from a trip to the cricket to a board games night or drinks at the pub to email the whole office or walk the floor asking who is up for it. There is no private little groups here like I experienced at other companies. Everyone gets invited to everything basically and whether you go or not is up to you. Some people don't go for the social activities and that's fine too.

Cons

Work/life balance for sure. When I wake up I check my email, just before I go to sleep I check my email. Some people are better at this than others, but I have never bought into the mission of a company so much before so I personally struggle with maintaining a healthy balance.

"Learning to Riot in Sydney"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Riot in Sydney for under a year. It is great to be with a company where you can be more than your job - part of the whole business, community and experience.

Players Experience First- this is not just some fad word thrown about by hr with little belief. Every decision, initiative, action riot does is weighed against the value it will add to the player experience - and we are all players.
    The role is bigger than your job- You will do your job and there is the expectation of delivering on it but you will also play lots of games, you will be part of projects not linked to your core role, you will do esports, you will be part of the community, you can have a say and you can be part of everything going on.
    Opportunity to have impact- this is not an office which is just an extension of US HQ where we salute and do what is told. The office is free to make the decision they believe is right for the players. This means in whatever job you have in riot you can have impact- you will collaborate with others in the office and internationally but you make the decision on what is the best way forward.
    We trust you - you are expected to deliver but no one is going to be micro managing you.
    The hiring bar is high and continually rising- you will work with great, passionate, serious, professional people.
    This is not a tech company, this is a gaming company, and yes, we play games at work.

Cons

Obviously if you don’t like what I have said above then maybe riot will not suit. You control your role and your path but it is not a 9-5 where you just do your job, you have to want more than that and you have to be flexible and comfortable with change.
    Senior Leadership- we are still a growing office, startup mentality, finding our way, it does mean we are lacking some senior leadership and experience and hiring is carefully done at riot which has created pains as we look for the right people.
    Hiring - recruitment and hiring is painfully slow - be patient, be determined.

8. "Over four years and still in love with the company as if it was the first day"

Current Employee - Country Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Country Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Autonomy (in a local office I've never experienced something like this)
    - Empowerment (to work on the things we believe are the most important for our players
    - Riot has still tons of potential to grow
    - If you are driven, smart, and you rock, there are tons of career opportunities in Riot worldwide
    - Amazing office in Sydney but also great offices all around the world
    - So much talent and passionate people to work with

Cons

- There is always more work to be done than people doing it (not sure it is a cons)
    - Australia is far away. Communication is more challenging with other offices

Advice to Management

Keep this up!

"First Year at Riot"

Pros

I've been at Riot Games Sydney for less than a year, but I have enjoyed the experience thoroughly. Riot is different from a lot of other workplaces. If you look at the manifesto, that's not there for show, it's something we actually believe in and incorporate into our day to day activity.

When we say we aspire to be the most player focused games company in the world, we mean it. Riot doesn't always get it right, and sometimes they can do some really silly things (hahaha replays/sandbox mode etc. As many Rioters are players themselves, they want these features as much as any other LoL player). But the heart is always in the right place and it shines through when we consider any major decision that will affect the Oceanic Player Base.

We currently have a ~25 person office. Everyone is on pretty good terms with everyone else. I mean, we're all gamers, we all play League (well, almost everyone) and we all share the same mission to deliver player value. We hold internal tournaments, have catered breakfasts twice a week and a catered lunch once a week.

This office is full of very driven people, and it's expected that you are able to manage your own time effectively and deliver results. Nobody's going to tell you what to do, but if you need help, there's always going to be a helping hand. Another plus is that if an opportunity arises that you have the skillset to help out in, you can feel free to put your hand up and do it. Nobody's gonna say no.

This office is very much one about open feedback. If you screw up, you'll know. We're expected to level each other up.

Oh, also, the subsidised vending machines at the office are pretty sweet (no pun intended)

Cons

I wouldn't say there are too many downsides to working here. Sometimes we aim for perfection too much and that can be a blocker to delivering more player value.

Advice to Management

Doesn't really make too much sense for me to put advice to management in a public facing review, when I could just directly give feedback to management.

"I've been working with Riot OCE for just over a year now and it's been incredible."

Current Employee - Talent Team in Sydney
    Current Employee - Talent Team in Sydney

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm part of the Talent Team at Riot Games Oceania and it would be super easy for me to write the most incredibly glowing review about how awesome it is to work here. Some would say that would be the smart thing to do. We're looking to grow our team so having someone from the talent team write about how awesome it is... my job's done :) What I've learned is that Riot is an amazing place to work, for a particular type of person.

If you are someone who is self-motivated, driven by your own hunger for success and thrives in an environment where the only constraint is the level of your own ambition then Riot could be the place for you. If you're a gamer, looking to improve the experience for other gamers then you'll fit right in. The "perks" also stack up there too. You won't go hungry at Riot, you wont miss the latest cinema releases and there are many clubs for you to try your hand at something new. This includes your S/O - who are considered part of the team and are welcome as much as you are to these events. This is all cool, but for me, the reason I work at Riot is because I feel like I'm the master of my own destiny. I am empowered to achieve my goals by the best method I choose, and everyone is part of the decision making process as to what those goals should be. I have the freedom to get involved in a number of different projects but best of all, there is an acceptable freedom to make a mistake, learn from it and deliver again to a higher standard. I've been working with Riot OCE for just over a year now and it's been incredible. I've learned so much, about myself as much as anything else.

Cons

When you start you're pretty much 'thrown in at the deep end". If you can't handle it then maybe this is the wrong place for you. Our programs are still in their infancy and we need to do more in the Talent Team to tap into the bank of knowledge from the rest of Riot and roll our more development programs here in OCE. Riot also hires really slowly. This is actually a Pro because we're careful about maintaining our culture, and elevating it but on the down side it can be a strain on some of the teams while their team ramps up to capacity.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing what you learn.

"A company with a heart"

Current Employee - Live Services Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Live Services Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Riot Games for just over two years now, and been in the games industry for ten years, across three different companies including Riot. All of the companies have their pluses, but at Riot, people really care about our players.

The atmosphere at Riot, allows people to contribute from across different disciplines and even continents, to ensure that we are providing the best possible player experience out there. It's been a refreshing experience, to work with others that take the player experience to heart.

I've been in the Sydney office since January, and the office is in a great location, within walking distance to all that the city has to offer. The team is small, hungry, and motivated. We are able to work without constraints, to create a great experience for our players here in Oceania. The office perks are exceptional, and Riot treats it's employees like family.

Quick Points: Great, open feedback culture; Highly transparent and trusting of everyone that works here; Amazing perks that include a yearly trip; A team dedicated to ensuring that people are taken care of, and extending that to your family as well; Tons of learning and development opportunities; Challenges of scale, technology, and craft that will keep you sharp; Failure is ok, but learn from it and move on.

Cons

Nobody will stop you from taking on too much. I personally have a hard time saying no, and because of this, it was easy to take on more than I could chew, when I first started.

You will work with people that are driven, people that work very hard, but work-life balance is important. It will be up to you to keep that in check.

Advice to Management

Make more time for your teams, time for mentorship, and for coaching.