SGN "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

SGN Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated May 11, 2019

3.3
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good prospects, Good stability, Good benefits, good training programme - room to progress(in 8 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours with unpaid breaks can lead to fatigue especially in the busy winter months(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "PC obsessed"

Former Employee - Management

I worked at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good terms & conditions , Working with some great people

Cons

Senior Managers who have been fast tracked know very little about what we are about & are SGN robots.

Advice to Management

Treat your elder staff with a bit of respect. You may find a better attitude will get them helping you more as they have a lot to offer

SGN2019-05-11
  2. "Not a Bad Company"

Current Employee - Network Record Assistant in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

IT Systems are not up to scratch

Advice to Management

Sort out IT systems and we can do our job more efficiently

SGN2019-05-10

"Great place to progress"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN for less than a year

Pros

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up with the training.

SGN2018-11-15
  4. "Safe job"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Lots of progression available. Can start with no qualifications in lots of jobs. Great people to work with.

Cons

Animosity from workforce to managers. Lots of unhappiness about pay.

Advice to Management

Push for better pay

SGN2018-03-29

"Great benefits and great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary - fair and annual inflationary increases each year, including an annual lump sum pay award. Plus a pay grade scheme based on merit which means you have the ability to earn more with experience. Good opportunities for progression and development compared to previous employers. Good benefits - generous maternity pay, cycle2work scheme, childcare vouchers, great online portal for retail discounts, pension &... death in service scheme to name a few. There are lots of great people working in SGN and it's usually a nice working atmosphere. SGN are a company committed to continuous improvement and take things like safety and employee engagement really seriously. There have been lots of positive changes even since I started three years ago. SGN are also committed to charity/community work which is great - each colleague gets a day to volunteer and help local causes. Company communications are good and they are actively looking at ways to meet the challenge of communicating with a geographical diverse and mainly field-based workforce. The new app is brilliant and really professional. There is a great recognition culture with colleagues getting regularly awarded vouchers plus an annual awards ceremony.

Cons

Like probably all big companies there can be some elements of teams working in silos. The company can be a little old fashioned regarding things like part time working and I wasn't able to secure this when I needed to (however my managers were supportive in other ways like giving me a phased return to full time, however this didn't suit my personal situation). The senior management is lacking a bit in diversity,... however I do think the company are doing a lot to gradually change this dynamic and are committed to bring more diversity on board. There have been several big structural changes in our team affecting my role/job description, which is a bit unsettling. I do also think there is too much of a culture of travelling to meetings which don't need to be face to face - there could be better use of modern technology instead. This would be much more environmentally friendly and improve work/life balance for some employees.

Advice to Management

Ultimately I've taken the decision to leave SGN due to personal reasons - but I would recommend the company as an employer to others. No company is perfect but SGN are working hard on the areas where change is needed. My main advice would be to look at a more modern approach to flexible/part-time working, working from home and to avoiding travel for unnecessary face to face meetings. But also - keep up the good work!

SGN2017-08-01

"Great company - long hours expected from managers"

Current Employee - Support Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Have worked for SGN for over 11 years. Love my job, the company does recognize hard work and opportunities are there if you are prepared to work for them. Diverse company (perhaps apart from the exec) and great people, the definition of team work should have a picture of my department next to the words, especially during the unexpected. The company does much work to engage its employees and has a range of... benefits on offer.

Cons

Long, long hours, 12+hrs (unpaid) is normal in the winter, and it's necessary to answer emails at home to keep on top of the workload. Still a number (though thankfully getting less each year) of old "dinosaurs" within the company - who prefer to command and tell rather than explain the whys. Entry level wages for Range 2 no longer competitive and make the recruitment, selection and retention difficult.

Advice to Management

Carry on doing what you are doing - bringing in external people in to senior positions recently is a positive move and is already bringing a fresh perspective. Consider revising certain range 2 salaries, or reclassifying job ranges for some.

SGN2017-07-23