SHI International Inside Account Executive Reviews

Updated 16 Jun 2020

3.5
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

"Wonderful Company with Many Opportunities"

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at SHI for 4 years and am so thankful for the opportunity. I hadn't ever cold called or been in sales at all prior to. Their on-boarding and training programs are well thought-out and easy to follow. The managers are there to help you and do truly care. SHI has a big promote from within culture so most of the managers used to be the role you are in now. The culture of the Austin office is absolutely amazing, very inclusive, and makes it enjoyable to be at work. I highly recommend SHI and would work for them again.

Cons

At the time, we were given 1 work from home day per week. This was nice, but there just wasn't much flexibility given. As I grew more senior I really loved my wfh days because I actually accomplished more than being at my desk (less distractions, etc). This really isn't a con if you are okay with going into an office everyday.

"Good Intentions but Constant Change"

Current Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Incredible CEO and GM. Pay is uncapped. Lots of learning and training. You can go from knowing absolutely nothing about IT, to eventually becoming a specialist, technical advisor, engineer, business development manager, channel account manager, etc. There is a huge community of people to support you if ever needed (countless Go Fund Me's over the years). Wins are celebrated. It is easy to meet people and make friends. You get the chance to network within the IT industry.

Cons

Inconsistent leadership and asks. The focus shifts on a weekly or monthly basis. It is very political. Management sells our time to partners, and it results in them trying to take control of our calendars; this distracts from the actual job and tasks at hand. The comp structure has changed multiple times, and quotas always seem too high or difficult to attain. There is INFORMATION OVERLOAD, and it seems few people in management have bothered taking classes in psychology or emotional/mental health. The job is extremely stressful and they would prefer you to be about quantity over quality. I'm exhausted.

Continue reading
  3. "Great companty to start your career in sales"

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, learn about different technologies and are able to interact with different partners. If you produce within your first year or so you are able to move up quickly.

Cons

Some micromanagement at the start with dials etc

"It’s an OKAY first job; don’t make it a career."

Current Employee - Inside Account Executive - SMB in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun culture, fun people, free food

Cons

Directors don’t really care about their employees, not enough PTO, overworked for crappy pay

5. "Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Franklin, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to start your sales career in IT. The training was highly effective and there is ongoing support with management and partner trainings to help you grow your book of business and product/offering knowledge.

Cons

The salary is low compared to other companies, but you have uncapped commission.

6. "Inside account executive job review"

Current Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work culture, phenomenal people. Lot of potential to make great money.

Cons

Not a lot of transparency from leadership

"East Coast Region"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers and benefits , great HR team , training is very detailed

Cons

Management and how hard it is to sell to K12 district

Continue reading

"Excellent Start For Sales Career"

I worked at SHI International full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Training program is incredibly thorough -Genuinely supportive managers -Motivated work environment -Free food often

Cons

-Takes about a year to make money

"It could not have been made more clear in my exit interview that HR did not care one bit about employee feedback"

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can only speak to my experience as an IAE in the Austin, Texas office over the course of about 3 years. Overall, SHI is a good place to get your feet wet. You learn about hundreds of tech companies and manufacturers. The culture is pretty good too. I made some really great friends here. If you keep a positive attitude and show eagerness to learn and do well, then management will have your back for the most part. You get a ton of experience. To elaborate, you deal will accounting, placing orders, quoting, running meetings/the full sales cycle, cold calling/prospecting, handling RMA's, handling payments, running demos, etc. Overall, you'll be able to market yourself pretty well to other employers. You will also learn a lot about what you want and don't want when searching for another opportunity.

Cons

On the flip side, the base pay is a joke. 30-35K. This is especially sad considering how much the IAE's handle and also for living in Austin. They'll get you by saying "but you have uncapped commission and the possibilities are endless!" But to give some insight, I'm with a new employer making a 13K higher base salary and also uncapped commission... and half the stress. It's probably because the turnover is so high and reps are hired right out of college with no experience. In addition, you can be an amazing rep but if you're not set up with the right accounts, the commission wont be there. This is where politics come in to play. Which is what SHI is, a game of politics. You can be well liked by management, not be a top performer, but hardly be bothered about it. But I've seen reps who kill it/consistently hit quota and get fired because they didn't really fit the mold. I personally never felt as if I had a work/life balance. Sure there's PTO (16.5 days), but when you're busy and take time off, you come back and spend your time playing catch-up. It's one of those jobs that sort of becomes your life which some people are okay with. For others, the burnout is all too real. There's endless trainings and partner campaigns that are usually a waste of time. Reminds me of that "this could have been sent in an e-mail" meme. The structure is very metric based. The stress of always having enough dials, meetings, and talk time despite hitting quota also leads to burnout. Except it's pretty easy to metric pad... There's a lot of micromanaging/babying. This is also probably because kids are hired right out of college. I remember my manager messaging me on Thanksgiving when I was working from home to make sure I was right by my computer... Last, the reps are expected to become pretty proficient in Microsoft. This is because SHI makes a ton of revenue from Microsoft (#1 partner! blah blah...) So even though reps don't make a lot of commission off of Microsoft (at least in the SMB space), and we have resources (although not enough) that make double our salary and are Microsoft experts, the reps are still expected to know it well so that you can make SHI more revenue. And oh man... if you mess up a companies Microsoft agreement, it can be detrimental to their business. If you're not familiar with Microsoft, it is the most complex licensing structure known to man. So much stress for so little pay.

SHI International Response

December 23, 2019Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to hear you found your time at SHI valuable in helping you gain exposure to how the channel ecosystem works as well as experience in full-cycle IT sales. A comprehensive training program, including training around strategic partners such as Microsoft, is one of our many differentiators. There are dedicated Microsoft resources team to help navigate these processes to ensure the best customer experience is delivered. The goal is to help our sellers become well-rounded IT sales professionals while adding value to our customers. Sellers can sell across a broad portfolio of offerings. With a compensation plan centered around uncapped commissions, our sellers have the opportunity to earn well above the industry average.

"Honest Review - Not Created by the Recruiting Team - Really"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As with all organizations, there are multiple Pros as there are Cons. With SHI, the beginning is the best part! Take it from someone who was in one of the first training classes SHI offered. Upon arrival, employees will undergo intensive training that will not only feel as the company used to say "is like drinking from a fire hydrant", but in-depth training on outdated systems. The best part about this ramp-up process is that if you keep your head down and work hard, your success will pay off. Over the course of 3 years, I did just this and saw astonishing results and a matching salary. Never did I ever expect these results to provide a more-than-comfortable salary! The amount of training that you received starting out will make a serious difference in how well you preform, however once you hit the one-year mark, the training sessions become redundant. The pros to a redundant training includes review of materials, opportunities to build relationships with vendors, and the ability to ask next-level questions. Day-to-day work was simple to understand once you've acquired tenure, however this became redundant and felt very boring after years of doing the same thing. Yes, as many reviews on here have noted, free lunches are provided anywhere from 1 to 5 days a week, which is determined on vendors and marketing. Although these free lunches may seem like a great perk, a potential hire should look at the overall picture - not just free food. Hours of operations: There is flexibility when choosing which time an employee would like to proceed with. Hours of operation start at 7am to 10am, and end anywhere from 4pm to 7pm, however you are required to select a time zone, and stick with that 8-hour shift daily. The ability to grow and transition to other roles throughout the organization is a possibility. Once you have worked in the sales position for roughly one year, switching to a different team/support role is as simple as showing that you're interested.

Cons

Pay. Hands down the most important con associated with this job. It's constantly a topic of discussion throughout the organization, however management refuses to acknowledge that. Instead, they are finding ways to positively spin pay cuts and "resource taxes" implemented throughout the organization. These implementations would make working harder seem like they are receiving more bang for their buck, when in fact this scenario would lead to the complete opposite. And sure, you've seen a VP or two reply to pay inquires on Glassdoor, stating that they are "competitive to the industry's pay" however, this is completely false information. Unfortunately, pay has only taken a turn for the worse as management still refuses to do anything about this. Just a heads up for potential new hires: Can you afford to live off 30k for the first year until you can ramp up business, which is solely based off of what team you join/which accounts you receive? A handful of condescending upper management sprinkled in with some amazing management, so it's hit or miss. They promise you the world, but can only deliver promises the side of Rhode Island. Many empty promises across the board, such as account migrations, the ability to achieve "realistic" goals, a severe lack of assistance, and lack of resources. For example, I had accounts in my name that were there for over two years, and after multiple promises by management that those would be transferred elsewhere, they remained within my book of business. When I first started out, I was told to utilize our top competitors website to source items. Can you believe that a company tells its employees to source items from other well-made sites, as their own will not suffice? The lack of management communication/being present. Honestly, 7 out of 10 times that I needed management to assist, they were nowhere to be found, and when I did need assistance with a particular scenario, it became more of a slap on the wrist than it did a learning experience or an opportunity to grow. Growth - Finally I would like to state that if you are not hitting your numbers, or you're falling short, management will NOT give you the time of day.

SHI International Response

January 10, 2020Executive Vice President

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback. We do take pride in delivering excellent onboarding training to ensure the success of all of our employees. Like any commission-based sales role, sales results determine financial rewards. We offer competitive compensation plans with uncapped commissions. Manager coaching and development of their team members is a priority to us. We have implemented Leadership Development Program to help ensure all our workforce receives quality coaching and development and feel supported. I want the opportunity to dig deeper into the situation so that we can address it. Are you open to sending me a note directly?

Found 98 reviews