SHI International Reviews

Updated 23 Jul 2020

3.5
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee
Pros
  • "Free Lunches ( pretty much the only perk )(in 39 reviews)

• "Fun culture, fun people, free food(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is comprised of people who are sly and don't actually care about anybody besides themselves(in 31 reviews)

• "Gossip central in the contracts department and low pay(in 29 reviews)

1. "Objective place to work with great potential"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can make a good living

Cons

The good living is based on who likes you

2. "Meh...."

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job in and of itself is fairly simple. There is a lot of outside team support and if you play the politics game you can go really far in this company. You also meet a ton of people in the industry and it’s a great place to launch your career because SHI is known for being a difficult employer. If you can last a few years there you gain credibility with their competitors and partners. They used to have uncapped commission and when you hit your goal, the payoff is more than it is elsewhere. Their training and development was good but the guy who ran it left so who knows anymore. If you live in Austin there are a lot of groups you can join to meet people outside your line of work in the company.

Cons

Their sales leadership and management gossips about each other and for the most part they act like children playing “grown up work place”. Their engagements are fueled by alcohol and often times inappropriate jokes, but no one ever pressured me to do any of those things so I can’t say they force a toxic environment on you, although it’s certainly there if that’s your cup of tea. They change the script a lot and they change your pay a lot. If you have a manager who is busy being somebody you’ll basically be on your own if you’re a remote employee. Their remote management is pretty sub par. Their leadership comes up with a lot of new ideas that are basically recycled ideas using different words than they did the previous time they talked about that “new idea”. When people bring solutions to the table often times they act like you’re complaining instead of bringing a solution to the table, which I found odd because they constantly ask us to share our ideas. My Director told me after my first year there that he didn’t expect me to last a year so it tells me they under hire and world class organizations don’t under hire. That’s what box checkers do.

3. "Too much drama"

Former Employee - IAM

I worked at SHI International full-time for less than a year

Pros

A job built for someone right out of college.

Cons

Poor hours, management is a popularity contest, salary is poor for total hours worked.

Continue reading
  4. "Good place to start a career, but not stay long term due to toxic environment"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free meals, the commission at the time was good, great way to be introduced to the tech field.

Cons

Lots of corporate politics. Must brown nose to advance. If you speak your mind, expect to be let go. Individualism isn't valued. Some metrics are not valuable, such as 50 dials a day into a limited number of accounts. Quantity over quality- which just leads to call padding.

"Wonderful Company with Many Opportunities"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at SHI for 4 years and am so thankful for the opportunity. I hadn't ever cold called or been in sales at all prior to. Their on-boarding and training programs are well thought-out and easy to follow. The managers are there to help you and do truly care. SHI has a big promote from within culture so most of the managers used to be the role you are in now. The culture of the Austin office is absolutely amazing, very inclusive, and makes it enjoyable to be at work. I highly recommend SHI and would work for them again.

Cons

At the time, we were given 1 work from home day per week. This was nice, but there just wasn't much flexibility given. As I grew more senior I really loved my wfh days because I actually accomplished more than being at my desk (less distractions, etc). This really isn't a con if you are okay with going into an office everyday.

6. COVID-19

"good company, would wait until after covid to apply."

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

good training, lower than expected turnover for a sales company. Had some great managers who really made the job worth it.

Cons

your experience at the company will vary depending on your manager. Lack of visibility into upper managments plans, having to make important career decision with minimal time to consider.

Continue reading

"Great Company to Develop Yourself!"

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiting Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've made some of my best friends of my life at this company. The culture is second-to-none. The CEO believes in long-term success vs short-term answers, and has built a management team around her that mirrors that mentality. Being a VAR in the IT industry means you adapt quickly to the market, which is why SHI has always experienced growth. I would highly recommend the company to anyone and would gladly go back to work there if the right position were presented to me.

Cons

Things are always shifting around, usually for the better, but you have to anticipate that and don't get too comfortable.

Continue reading
  8. "Inclusion and Diversity in the UK is a joke...."

1.0
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some fantastic people who have worked there for a long time

Cons

Current Management very poor would rather employ their friends than people that can do the job. Borderline racism is rife within the UK management

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of opportunity to grow your career. As a Strategic AE, you are essentially running your own business so think of the opportunity as "what would you do" in order to be profitable as well as customer oriented with the goal to become the main point of contact for your clients.

Cons

Emerging partners that may not be vetted as of yet so pricing would be difficult to acquire in order to be competitive.

10. "Not a bad first job"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Laid back, not much pressure to hit numbers

Cons

Low salary, poor management, long days

Found 657 reviews