SHI International Senior Inside Account Executive Reviews

Updated 6 Jan 2020

1.2
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

"Honest Review - Not Created by the Recruiting Team - Really"

1.0

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As with all organizations, there are multiple Pros as there are Cons. With SHI, the beginning is the best part! Take it from someone who was in one of the first training classes SHI offered. Upon arrival, employees will undergo intensive training that will not only feel as the company used to say "is like drinking from a fire hydrant", but in-depth training on outdated systems. The best part about this ramp-up process is that if you keep your head down and work hard, your success will pay off. Over the course of 3 years, I did just this and saw astonishing results and a matching salary. Never did I ever expect these results to provide a more-than-comfortable salary! The amount of training that you received starting out will make a serious difference in how well you preform, however once you hit the one-year mark, the training sessions become redundant. The pros to a redundant training includes review of materials, opportunities to build relationships with vendors, and the ability to ask next-level questions. Day-to-day work was simple to understand once you've acquired tenure, however this became redundant and felt very boring after years of doing the same thing. Yes, as many reviews on here have noted, free lunches are provided anywhere from 1 to 5 days a week, which is determined on vendors and marketing. Although these free lunches may seem like a great perk, a potential hire should look at the overall picture - not just free food. Hours of operations: There is flexibility when choosing which time an employee would like to proceed with. Hours of operation start at 7am to 10am, and end anywhere from 4pm to 7pm, however you are required to select a time zone, and stick with that 8-hour shift daily. The ability to grow and transition to other roles throughout the organization is a possibility. Once you have worked in the sales position for roughly one year, switching to a different team/support role is as simple as showing that you're interested.

Cons

Pay. Hands down the most important con associated with this job. It's constantly a topic of discussion throughout the organization, however management refuses to acknowledge that. Instead, they are finding ways to positively spin pay cuts and "resource taxes" implemented throughout the organization. These implementations would make working harder seem like they are receiving more bang for their buck, when in fact this scenario would lead to the complete opposite. And sure, you've seen a VP or two reply to pay inquires on Glassdoor, stating that they are "competitive to the industry's pay" however, this is completely false information. Unfortunately, pay has only taken a turn for the worse as management still refuses to do anything about this. Just a heads up for potential new hires: Can you afford to live off 30k for the first year until you can ramp up business, which is solely based off of what team you join/which accounts you receive? A handful of condescending upper management sprinkled in with some amazing management, so it's hit or miss. They promise you the world, but can only deliver promises the side of Rhode Island. Many empty promises across the board, such as account migrations, the ability to achieve "realistic" goals, a severe lack of assistance, and lack of resources. For example, I had accounts in my name that were there for over two years, and after multiple promises by management that those would be transferred elsewhere, they remained within my book of business. When I first started out, I was told to utilize our top competitors website to source items. Can you believe that a company tells its employees to source items from other well-made sites, as their own will not suffice? The lack of management communication/being present. Honestly, 7 out of 10 times that I needed management to assist, they were nowhere to be found, and when I did need assistance with a particular scenario, it became more of a slap on the wrist than it did a learning experience or an opportunity to grow. Growth - Finally I would like to state that if you are not hitting your numbers, or you're falling short, management will NOT give you the time of day.

SHI International Response

January 10, 2020Executive Vice President

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback. We do take pride in delivering excellent onboarding training to ensure the success of all of our employees. Like any commission-based sales role, sales results determine financial rewards. We offer competitive compensation plans with uncapped commissions. Manager coaching and development of their team members is a priority to us. We have implemented Leadership Development Program to help ensure all our workforce receives quality coaching and development and feel supported. I want the opportunity to dig deeper into the situation so that we can address it. Are you open to sending me a note directly?

2. "Great place to start your career"

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

SHI is a great company to start your career. The inside sales role is geared to new college graduates and the initial training is very in depth... not only with the general tactics of selling but training on technology at a very high level. They provide on going training for folks at all points in their development. The compensation plan is the best in the industry and money is easy to make if you're willing to work for it. The culture feels a lot like that of a college fraternity.. with a work hard play hard mentality.

Cons

There is a ton of turn over in management. I was never a manager, but I did have a close relationship with several... I think this really boiled down to the lack of development in the management team.

Continue reading

"Great starting place, or great if you love sales"

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

in theory, can make a lot of money on commission flexibility with management for doctors appointments, emergencies, etc free lunch 3-4 times a week generally everyone wants to recruit you opportunity to move up into management or field roles relatively quickly (if you do well) lots of happy hours available - if you are into that sort of thing

Cons

high stress salary is low constant change cold calling lack of support from management when you have a rude customer, moving accounts working with Dell forced campaigns supporting a manufacturer when we are "brand agnostic" lots of politics lots of forced meetings that are generally useless an attempt to bring up morale "first Friday" was supposed to be a half day, which turned into a two hour early release- BUT you can't go anywhere during lunch- so really, its a one hour early release, if you don't have to come in an hour early- which means its not early at all, with a forced happy hour. they got rid of team offsites difficult to move jobs within SHI without damaging current position (very secretive process) if you are able to move jobs, unless it is a sales role, you are generally taking a pay cut

4. "IAE"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome culture, great co-workers, all the tools are there to be successful and to do it quickly

Cons

Sometimes can be a grind with the dials and required meetings, but all depends on the manager. Sort of a high school feel to it also

"My experience has allowed me to grow and develop as a business professional."

5.0

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great access to resources and networks to grow as a sales rep. All the tools for success are laid out before you; it's just a matter of whether you choose to use them. Great work environment. Easy and encouraged growth from within.

Cons

Growing pains of a fast growing $7Billion company. Young management staff can cause its share of challenges. Tedious in that one re holds the responsibility of three different roles in one.

"Great place to grow"

5.0
    Senior Inside Account Executive & Team Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International for more than a year

Pros

"Work hard, play hard," is the mantra at the vibrant Austin office. As long as you're working hard, you'll be recognized and rewarded. It's growing so fast, that they are really flexible with career paths and are determined to find the best position for you there. After 1 year as an IAE, if you don't feel like it's for you, there are about 50 other directions you are encouraged to pursue. Management has been incredibly receptive and reactive to our feedback. It's rare that feedack makes its way to the top so quickly in a $6 billion dollar, 3000+ employee company. They're actively determined to provide career path advice and the culture is unparalleled.

Cons

Inevitable growing pains as we're growing so fast

Continue reading

"Good culture, good compensation if you are smart and willing to work hard."

4.0

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good compensation if you're smart and willing to work hard. There are definitely a lot of reps that will not make it at SHI - some for lack of effort, some for lack of talent. The job is not easy, but it's do-able and if you can cut it you can make a lot of money.

Cons

Rapid growth = growing pains, but there's also a lot of opportunity for advancement. Cold calling can be mundane, and make no mistake about it, this job is all cold calling in the beginning, but as you cultivate your business the cold calling will minimize and it's more about maintaining relationships. SHI throws A LOT at you, the mission can feel confused and distracted at times.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews