SHI International Employee Reviews about "free lunches"

Updated 9 May 2020

3.6
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee
Pros
  • "Free Lunches ( pretty much the only perk )(in 39 reviews)

• "Fun culture, fun people, free food(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "A handful of condescending upper management sprinkled in with some amazing management, so it's hit or miss(in 31 reviews)

• "Low pay, unless you're on the right team(in 28 reviews)

Reviews about "free lunches"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "The first 5/6 months can be slow. But most people who work hard and are patient can get good money."

5.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SHI International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Earning potential is as good as any entry level job. Good coworkers. Free lunches and breakfasts on a weekly basis. Not much micro management. Prospecting in the first few months can be tough, but if you persevere pretty much any one can make it through. Most reps in year 4/5 making more than 100k. They usually hire from the inside. Customer discounts on their products

Cons

Customer service once you build your pipeline can be a little stressful. Training course feels a little too much like high school and doesn’t focus on what’s really important to the job. Experience can really be dependent on your manager. Because it is an entry level job, and most reps are straight out of college, your manager can sometimes feel like your are still a child and hold your hand through things

Continue reading

"Honest Review - Not Created by the Recruiting Team - Really"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As with all organizations, there are multiple Pros as there are Cons. With SHI, the beginning is the best part! Take it from someone who was in one of the first training classes SHI offered. Upon arrival, employees will undergo intensive training that will not only feel as the company used to say "is like drinking from a fire hydrant", but in-depth training on outdated systems. The best part about this ramp-up process is that if you keep your head down and work hard, your success will pay off. Over the course of 3 years, I did just this and saw astonishing results and a matching salary. Never did I ever expect these results to provide a more-than-comfortable salary! The amount of training that you received starting out will make a serious difference in how well you preform, however once you hit the one-year mark, the training sessions become redundant. The pros to a redundant training includes review of materials, opportunities to build relationships with vendors, and the ability to ask next-level questions. Day-to-day work was simple to understand once you've acquired tenure, however this became redundant and felt very boring after years of doing the same thing. Yes, as many reviews on here have noted, free lunches are provided anywhere from 1 to 5 days a week, which is determined on vendors and marketing. Although these free lunches may seem like a great perk, a potential hire should look at the overall picture - not just free food. Hours of operations: There is flexibility when choosing which time an employee would like to proceed with. Hours of operation start at 7am to 10am, and end anywhere from 4pm to 7pm, however you are required to select a time zone, and stick with that 8-hour shift daily. The ability to grow and transition to other roles throughout the organization is a possibility. Once you have worked in the sales position for roughly one year, switching to a different team/support role is as simple as showing that you're interested.

Cons

Pay. Hands down the most important con associated with this job. It's constantly a topic of discussion throughout the organization, however management refuses to acknowledge that. Instead, they are finding ways to positively spin pay cuts and "resource taxes" implemented throughout the organization. These implementations would make working harder seem like they are receiving more bang for their buck, when in fact this scenario would lead to the complete opposite. And sure, you've seen a VP or two reply to pay inquires on Glassdoor, stating that they are "competitive to the industry's pay" however, this is completely false information. Unfortunately, pay has only taken a turn for the worse as management still refuses to do anything about this. Just a heads up for potential new hires: Can you afford to live off 30k for the first year until you can ramp up business, which is solely based off of what team you join/which accounts you receive? A handful of condescending upper management sprinkled in with some amazing management, so it's hit or miss. They promise you the world, but can only deliver promises the side of Rhode Island. Many empty promises across the board, such as account migrations, the ability to achieve "realistic" goals, a severe lack of assistance, and lack of resources. For example, I had accounts in my name that were there for over two years, and after multiple promises by management that those would be transferred elsewhere, they remained within my book of business. When I first started out, I was told to utilize our top competitors website to source items. Can you believe that a company tells its employees to source items from other well-made sites, as their own will not suffice? The lack of management communication/being present. Honestly, 7 out of 10 times that I needed management to assist, they were nowhere to be found, and when I did need assistance with a particular scenario, it became more of a slap on the wrist than it did a learning experience or an opportunity to grow. Growth - Finally I would like to state that if you are not hitting your numbers, or you're falling short, management will NOT give you the time of day.

SHI International Response

January 10, 2020Executive Vice President

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback. We do take pride in delivering excellent onboarding training to ensure the success of all of our employees. Like any commission-based sales role, sales results determine financial rewards. We offer competitive compensation plans with uncapped commissions. Manager coaching and development of their team members is a priority to us. We have implemented Leadership Development Program to help ensure all our workforce receives quality coaching and development and feel supported. I want the opportunity to dig deeper into the situation so that we can address it. Are you open to sending me a note directly?

"Great workplace, bad growth"

2.0
    Current Employee - IT Analyst

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Workplace is a joy to work in with constant free lunches and a good vibe

Cons

Little room for growth in some departments and low base pay.

"You have to work hard to make money, but that is the case everywhere..."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a sales organization. Many of the other reviews talk about no money or no room for growth, that is simply not true. SHI is one of the very top IT resellers, there is plenty of money to be made just by dropping the SHI name. Sales is sales, you have to go out and find your money. If you are good at what you do, you will have success and climb the latter quickly. If you aren't good at it, the base salary and account base, that is literally given to you when you walk in the door, is decent enough to make a living. Know your worth, and work to raise it. When I left the company, there was no malus in my heart. I had a great manager, a great book of business, and was making good money. Hard-working people all around me were making money too. Sure there were complaints but you will have those when you work for a 10 Billion dollar company. There is free lunch all the time, a killer holiday party, conferences, and so many spiffs to take advantage of you can basically choose what you want to make year over year. Selling anything is hard work, some people just don't want to do the work.

Cons

Too many free lunches. You will get fat if all you do is sit down, eat for free, and do your work. There are some things that come from the top down that can get in the way of things, but the metrics and busy work given ultimately lead to better numbers. For example, you have a very busy month, you have to pick between making quotes and orders or hitting your dial metric. A simple slap on the wrist is better than missing your number and going hungry. SMB has a Fraternity/Sorority feel to it but 90% of the people in this role are right out of college and this culture has to be part of the plan. The coffee in the break room is awful, bring your own.

Continue reading
  5. "Great managers, great culture"

Current Intern - Sales Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International

Pros

Young, fun environment Easy-going managers Free lunches pretty often

Cons

First year as an inside rep is a real grind 30k base salary

"Great place to get your toes into IT"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive - Named

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- The people: many people stay because they like the people they work with - Free Lunches ( pretty much the only perk ) - Fairly nice gym in the facility with personal trainer - Have the opportunity to really make a lot of money

Cons

- "Big boy club" is a real thing here. You have to know corporate politics here really early if you want to get into leadership. Voice your opinion to the wrong person, have fun being a sales rep your whole career there. - No appearance from the CEO. You'll see her at sales conference do a round table, but you hardly see a email from her, or see her around the office. She's brilliant but her sales/culture style is very out dated. - Leadership gets very drunk at outings. It's embarrassing. - First 3 months pay is a joke. Most companies offer your full OTE until you are given a real quota. At SHI you get 30K base and 250 dollars on top of that. That's just gross considering living in Austin, TX.

"Inside Account Manager"

1.0
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice facilities, free gym, and free lunches or breakfast at least once a month.

Cons

Lower management is highly under qualified which makes it a very catty and childish environment to work in. Commission depends on the team you’re on and tenured reps do not want new team members to lower their commission rates. It’s like a company made up of high school kids, there’s a lot of drama and politics, which causes high turn over in teams. Overall I wouldn’t have taken this job knowing how catty and nasty the people here are it’s really an unhappy work place, unfortunately upper management tries to make it great but lower management and employees ruin that.

Continue reading
  8. "Typical sales company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I worked at SHI International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, free lunches and team off sites

Cons

Like most sales companies they only care about metrics. Leadership will state they made up their goals. If the company isn’t hitting the goals they freak out and take away privileges. They really only care about money

9. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free lunch and stuff from manufacturers

Cons

Unfair commission payouts because some accounts make better commission

"Inside Sales Account Manager"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

Working for SHI is good for someone right out of college. *Learn a lot about business *Great training *Free lunches often and free alcohol at happy hours *Everyone will be around your age *They promote from within

Cons

*Managers typically have no experience managing people. They are just "good" reps who have been promoted. *They implement drastic changes often. Compensation plans and metrics employees are measured on are constantly changing, creating confusion. *There is no transparency when these changes are implemented from management. *Work/Life balance is not great with this job. It is stressful for no reason. *If you do not have a collaborative, motivated outside sales partner, there is no way you will be successful. *Upper management expects too much from the inside team and too little from the outside team. *Upper management does not seem to have a clear, long term business plan. *The maternity policy is not the same for each division which is odd.

SHI International Response

May 24, 2018Vice President, Corp

Thank you for the constructive feedback! Being a sales leader is likely the most difficult job at SHI. As we continue to grow rapidly, we will promote those with the right experience and desire to become leaders while we actively develop the right skills to be effective. Our agility in the ever-changing IT field has been one of the top reasons for our record-breaking growth, and we try to mitigate the effects to our sellers and leaders as much as possible.

Found 39 reviews