Shopify Customer Success Guru Reviews

Tobias Lütke

"Systematic Problems"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are amazing Working from home offers flexibility The benefits package is impressive You'll learn more than you ever thought possible

Cons

Working from home can be isolating Being remote means you don't get paid as much as someone working in the office (and they don't keep up with cost of living - hope you like making the same salary for 5 years straight) When perks are given company-wide, Support is usually excluded, or given a watered-down version Perks don't pay the bills, but are included when they evaluate your compensation and tell you it's "on par with industry standard" Growth outside of Support is all but impossible. Success stories exist but are maybe 1% Chokehold on scheduling - good luck trying to take a vacation or even take a pee break when you need it Decision makers are far removed from the front line. The Shopify they talk about publicly doesn't exist. Major changes happen daily. Support lives in chaos. Huge decisions are made and then walked back within hours You're expected to keep track of changes but given no time to do so Management's perception of what the job is vs the reality of what it actually is differ appallingly No metrics for success, no consistency in evaluation. Raises based on "impact", but "impact" is undefined and raises are so rare that most people think assume don't exist. Leadership with minimal training, human resources issues abound and don't get handled appropriately Gaslighting happens everywhere - you'll be told there's no issue and everything is fine, even as you're struggling to stay afloat Senior/Executive management is 90 + % white and male. No interest in differing perspectives or changing status quo at the top. Support workers are expendable

Continue reading

"50/50 Chance you'll end up with a great leader versus wildly inadequate leader"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay to start, great benefits, expense account

Cons

Many of the leadership were promoted out of necessity and weren't fit to lead. Lots of double standards in what they believe versus what they expect of employees. Didn't receive any support from upper management when it was needed.

"Okay place to work overall"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work with a lot of great people and are able to develop a lot of great relationships. Overall benefits are great, working from home is great.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in support, stricter vacation guidelines compared to the rest of the company, remote culture is different from the culture in office, it's a high and fast paced environment so if it's something that you aren't used to - it may cause you anxiety.

"Great place to work, pay could be better based on the amount of work."

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong support structure from team and upper management. Mental health and self care are is very high at all levels of management and executives. Amazing health package and stock options. Very intense and in-depth training program.

Cons

Mental Health and burnout is high in this role specifically. Pay is way below what it should be especially since the amount of work can be overwhelming.

Continue reading
  5. "Amazing company to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Waterford

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay. Work from home. Great culture

Cons

Can be a bit lonely sometimes.

"Good values and perks. Bad, burn out culture."

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good perks. Good company values. Good culture.

Cons

Bad burn out culture. Ambiguous targets, with management not having any experience in the role. Common stress leave rotations across all levels of support.

"Remote Shopify Success Guru"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Offices, Culture, Lifestyle Spending

Cons

High stress, burn-out, lack of diversity

July 28, 2020Social Care

Hi, thanks for the review! Nowhere is the values of constant and deliberate learning more important as in our Guru team. We ask our Gurus to constantly strive to learn, practice and reflect upon those skills and concepts necessary to succeed in the role. Our Gurus are the first port of call when one of our merchants needs a helping hand, so this role can definitely have its challenges! We appreciate Shopify’s fast-paced & constantly changing environment can sometimes feel difficult to thrive in - and that is OK! Be sure to take advantage of things like personal days if you need to take time to rest and refuel. Your Squad Lead is also there to talk to if you are feeling stressed or burned-out. I'm glad to hear you see value in the benefits and lifestyle spending! We work hard to continually review our perks and benefits to ensure we remain competitive and employees can tailor their package to their lifestyle. Thank you again for the review!

"Best company ever"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

After several bad experiences with corporates businesses, Shopify has showed me a light at the end of the tunnel. First of all, they treat you like a human being and as a person, and if you have any issues in your private life they will help you out as much as they can. And in Shopify you're supporting merchants as a Guru where they have an online store, and if they run into any issues or you're helping them out with any advice that you can give them. After one year of tenure with Shopify I still can't believe how they treat their employees. Everyone is so caring and everyone helps you out as much as they can. And trust me when I say that you're not a number here. I spoke with some CEO's and Directors and they're normal people like us, they'll listen to you and they will take your feedback very very seriously. Pros: 1. Working from home - I never thought that working from home will be so fun and relaxing. After spending 5 hours a day on commute on previous job, working from home came as God given! More time with family and kids, drastic saving either on public transport or on car fuel and no more spending €10-15 on lunch in cantina. 2. Amazing colleagues and Team Managers - These people will give their hearts out to help you out, and no backstabbing! 3. Perks and benefits - Every year you get a significant amount of € bonus (trust me when I say significant) to expense it as you want it. - Fully covered private health care and full paid by Shopify - 20 days of holidays and 10 personal days (call it sick days but they aren't) so technically you have 30 working days of leave. 4. Professional development - If you want to learn more about your job or if you think that an online course or a book will help you out, Shopify will cover the expenses. 5. Loads of training each week that you get allocated outside of live channels or Professional Development time too. 6. Salary - Salary is amazing when comparing same role with Apple. I'm not going to mention Amazon as they are paying peanuts compared to Shopify and they don't brainwash you like the others. Just to add, this isn't a manager review, I'm a Guru here in Ireland and my family means everything to me! I used to commute 5 hours a day before Shopify to bring bread in our house, my little kids didn't even see me, in morning when I would leave nor in evening when I would come back home. My relationship with my children has drastically improved because I'm working from home and you're always there for them if anything happens! I know that some other reviewers will complain about Social life balance because we're working from home. If someone isn't capable of going out to a pub or to call their friend to meet up after they finish their shift then something is really wrong with these people. And I've been super productive while working from home, no dress code...nothing. No 50-100 other people around me laughing, talking, coughing, sneezing, creating distraction which would distract you. So yes, this is a place for me to stay!

Cons

Handling 3 chats at the same time can be daunting!

March 31, 2020Shopify Representative

Hey! Thank you for taking the time to leave such thorough and helpful feedback. It’s heartwarming to hear how positive your experience has been overall since you joined Shopify. It’s particularly great to know you feel heard and you feel everyone is approachable and caring, even at the executive level. I’m glad you see working from home as a positive and you’re achieving a better work/life balance and getting more family time since joining Shopify. That is important for sure. The Talent team at Shopify work hard to continually review our perks and benefits to ensure we remain competitive and employees can tailor their package to their lifestyle. They will appreciate your great feedback here. Support Leadership have been asked in the past why gurus are handling 3 chats at once. The research they have done indicates this is the best way to handle the volume of chats we get, especially since there is often a delay in one merchant responding. Being able to handle other chats while you wait on them coming back tends to be more efficient. That being said, I will certainly send this feedback on for you as I know they are constantly reviewing our processes. I hope you’ve also discussed it with your lead. They are likely to have suggestions on managing this. Another thing I find helpful is discussing this in a meeting with the rest of your squad. Everyone has different techniques on how they handle their chats so brainstorming together can be helpful in coming up with new ideas on how best to manage your workflow. Again, thank you for your thoughtful feedback!

"The Real review of the Guru role"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

working remote, good co-workers, time for professional growth, team building activities

Cons

lots of overtime, can be fired at any time, no opportunity of growth, hard to get time off, isolated from other product lines that work at the office

March 16, 2020Social Care

Hi, there. Thanks so much for taking the time to give such candid feedback, it’s always welcome. I’m glad to hear you enjoy your time with your co-workers and working on team-building exercises. We understand how important it is that you are surrounded by good people in a positive work environment. Professional growth is something we encourage in every employee. We build for the long term here; having the time to explore your areas of interest and becoming an expert in your role means you can provide the best advice for the merchants, and that you will enjoy a long career at Shopify. I’m sorry to hear you've experienced issues with overtime. You are scheduled for 8 hours shifts and are not required or expected to work past those set hours. I would recommend speaking to your Squad Lead, or if you would feel more comfortable, you can reach out to your HR representative. The same thing applies for growth, this is something your Squad Lead is responsible for advocating. If you’ve come across any situations where you feel like you weren’t given the best chance to advance in your career here, please reach out to your lead or your HR rep. Regarding dismissal, we believe strongly that feedback is a gift and ensure that employees receive extensive coaching and performance management. We take these hard decisions seriously and with limited exceptions in cases of gross misconduct, a dismissal would never come as a surprise to an employee. Remote working can definitely have its challenges; meeting other teams is one for sure. It can be hard to meet or speak to new teams outside of your own squad or Guruland itself! We have a Sidekicks program that will match you with a random person in order to chat via slack and foster new relationships. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback, hearing honest feedback like this is how we can improve and grow in the future.

"High stress"

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay and benefits are truly out of this world. Not sure if they are worth sticking around for but definitely better than other companies and jobs of similar nature.

Cons

Where do I even start? The training is very rushed and fast paced - you cover the absolute basics of this massive platform to then after six weeks go into “guru land” and support people on things you never even heard of. My own trainer described their first year working in Shopify as “everyday I started my shift I felt like I was driving off a cliff” and this is how I feel constant stress and pressure because each day I will be expected to support something I have no training in. THREE CHATS!! I shouldn’t need to elaborate but let me, No matter how long you’re here three chats is a daunting task and creates an extremely poor service especially as many merchants want their issue solved immediately. Imagine having to chat with three people, launch their stores, their admin etc, troubleshoot their issue or find info and then having to try business coach them towards the end of the chat it’s simply too stressful and borders near impossible for many. Some people might like it but two should be the Max and opt into three if you’re comfortable as opposed to pressuring people into three. Calls are somewhat nicer as at least then you’re only dealing with one person so you have breathing space. Throughout training and mentoring you’re given rather vague feedback and told you’re doing great to only then go into guruland and be ripped apart by your squad lead. Who will tell you it’s normal to know very little but then absolutely obliterate you for not knowing something and providing inadequate support. There’s simply no win! Escalated teams don’t work on live channels so everyone is rushing to get into those squads. This again creates a pretty harsh environment for gurus as you cannot simply escalate a problem and see it’s sorted quickly. The platform itself does seem well designed but has far too many flaws and allows dare I say too much customisation? This is fine for those who are actually able to code but 9 time out of 10 it is somebody following a help article that gets it wrong, contacts support, support don’t know how to code so are reading from the exact same help document and stressing themselves because they don’t know the answer. It’s toxic and really hard to deal with. There is zero pay for working extra hours, which is expected. Especially as you begin with the company a lot of your live interactions will be pushed to emails as you simply don’t know the answer. This in turn leads to a huge personal queue which you have 45 mins to get through, 15 mins in the morning and 30 in the evening. I have often had to stay way past my shift finish time as this “get it done” culture is embraced despite the stress and work life imbalance it creates. There is so much more I could say here but writing this even makes me stressed and sad. I don’t see myself lasting much longer in the role, the stress and pressure is too much and unfortunately this is common right across the company. Turnover is high due to the ridiculous demands and expectations.

Found 86 reviews