Shopify Guru (Remote) Reviews

1. "Fantastic company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great company overall. Plenty of benefits.

Cons

None that I can really think of.

2. "Pretty good for the most part"

Former Employee - Remote Guru in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

remote, good pay, great benefits, equipment provided

Cons

mentally draining, hard to separate work from home

December 8, 2020Social Care

Hey, there! The Support Advisor role can be tough at times; each merchant you engage with is unique and the solutions we provide for them must be tailored to their needs. This can take a lot of work! We take mental health very seriously at Shopify, it's vital that you feel happy and healthy, and that your work environment is safe and secure. We have a fully fleshed out self-help section in our internal help pages (our Vault) where you can read about how to combat Burnout, Breaking, Imposter Syndrome, and several other stressors. I notice in your review you mention you're a former employee, but you can still provide some feedback to our team if you have some suggestions! You could send us an email detailing your top feedback points, from there we will be able to get it in front of the right people: https://bit.ly/2ICKkCX. Adding 'Glassdoor' as the subject link of the email will ensure we can find your email faster. Your health will always come first! I'm glad to hear you found the compensation and benefits package to be such a positive point, this is something we pride ourselves on. Thank you again for the review, it's really appreciated!

3. "Good culture and benefits, no room for growth"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture, awesome above and beyond benefits.

Cons

Role became more sales based than service which led to more micromanaging. Also, everyone made it seem like there was lots of room for growth but that was far from the truth.

December 2, 2020Social Care

Hi, there! Thanks for the review. I'm sorry to hear you felt as if the nature of your role had changed, I can understand how that would be disheartening! In support, we need to make sure a merchant who asks for our help is getting the best assistance they can. This can sometimes mean advising them to move to a higher tiered plan to get the features they need to make their business successful. At times, we would also advise moving to a lower-tiered plan if they have just started their store, or are running a smaller business! I can understand how this can be interpreted as more sales based work, but it's not what we are aiming for: it's all about making sure the merchant is getting the best support possible. Career opportunities in the past were sometimes difficult to identify or find, which is feedback we have acted upon. Our internal support team has worked together to create internal support pages that show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. The Career Pathing Guide will show you where you currently are, where you’d like to go, and how you can get there! This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our company culture and our benefits, these are things we pride ourselves on. Thank you again for the review, and best of luck in the future!

4. "Amazing benefits and good salary"

Former Employee - Remote Shopify Guru in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits, great starting salary, supportive work environment

Cons

High stress and pressure, you have to work weekends on a rotating basis

"50/50 Chance you'll end up with a great leader versus wildly inadequate leader"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay to start, great benefits, expense account

Cons

Many of the leadership were promoted out of necessity and weren't fit to lead. Lots of double standards in what they believe versus what they expect of employees. Didn't receive any support from upper management when it was needed.

October 29, 2020Social Care

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience here. Over the past few years, our internal teams have doubled in size and even now continue to grow. As with all of our internal moves, we want to provide an opportunity to stretch! Through the 2019 Engagement Initiative, we held “Lead Labs” to help level up and create support networks across Support Leadership. This program is currently being offered to support leads throughout the company. I’m sorry to hear that you did not get the support you needed while you were here! I'd be happy to look into this with you further if you like. Please do feel free to reach out via our support lines: (https://bit.ly/2ICKkCX) so you will have a formal ticket our internal support team could review. I'm glad to hear there were some positives from your time with us; our compensation package and benefits are one of the best in the industry. It's great to hear this was a positive point for you! Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review, best of luck in the future.

"Okay place to work overall"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work with a lot of great people and are able to develop a lot of great relationships. Overall benefits are great, working from home is great.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in support, stricter vacation guidelines compared to the rest of the company, remote culture is different from the culture in office, it's a high and fast paced environment so if it's something that you aren't used to - it may cause you anxiety.

November 10, 2020Social Care

Hi, thank you for leaving a review! Career opportunities were at times difficult to identify or find. This is feedback we have acted upon! Our support team has worked together to create internal help pages that show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. The Career Pathing Guide shows you where you currently are, where you’d like to go, and how you can get there. This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. The recent shift to Digital by Default has had a huge impact on our culture. As the majority of office employees are now also remote, we've adapted to make sure everyone feels connected. Our Events team have worked hard to create virtual meetups, guest speaker sessions, and even live music events, all online! The benefit of thriving on change is that teams like the Events team can pivot quickly to online-only meetups; which is fast becoming the new normal. We do move at a fast pace as a team which, understandably, does not suit everyone. To give the best product to our merchants, we need to change as fast as commerce is can; this means challenging ourselves to do better, questioning the best way to get things done, and constantly learning new information. Thrive on change is one of our cultural keystones here! It's so great to hear you've created some lasting relationships with your co-workers. We aim to hire like-minded, creative individuals here, friendships are bound to be struck up when those people get together! We truly believe in creating a business that is impactful, and you’ll have limited impact if you act alone: the best products come from a mix of ideas, experiences, and perspectives. Thank you again for the review and for allowing the space for discussion!

"Good values and perks. Bad, burn out culture."

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good perks. Good company values. Good culture.

Cons

Bad burn out culture. Ambiguous targets, with management not having any experience in the role. Common stress leave rotations across all levels of support.

"Remote Shopify Success Guru"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Offices, Culture, Lifestyle Spending

Cons

High stress, burn-out, lack of diversity

July 28, 2020Social Care

Hi, thanks for the review! Nowhere is the values of constant and deliberate learning more important as in our Guru team. We ask our Gurus to constantly strive to learn, practice and reflect upon those skills and concepts necessary to succeed in the role. Our Gurus are the first port of call when one of our merchants needs a helping hand, so this role can definitely have its challenges! We appreciate Shopify’s fast-paced & constantly changing environment can sometimes feel difficult to thrive in - and that is OK! Be sure to take advantage of things like personal days if you need to take time to rest and refuel. Your Squad Lead is also there to talk to if you are feeling stressed or burned-out. I'm glad to hear you see value in the benefits and lifestyle spending! We work hard to continually review our perks and benefits to ensure we remain competitive and employees can tailor their package to their lifestyle. Thank you again for the review!

"Great Company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Remote Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Schedule, Colleagues, Vacation, Job Duties

Cons

None that I can think of

March 24, 2020Social Care

Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to post a review. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your time with Shopify and found so many things beneficial. Transparency between all levels is something that is highly important. Based on input from the team, we have reconfigured the Quality Assurance model in 2019 and have received very positive feedback from both support leads and Gurus, as expectations of the role are clearer. Compensation reviews are based on individual performance; some areas that are assessed are your level of impact on your role, on your team, and on our merchants. It is always possible to reach out to a squad lead or an HR rep for more information. Thank you again for your feedback!

"The Real review of the Guru role"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

working remote, good co-workers, time for professional growth, team building activities

Cons

lots of overtime, can be fired at any time, no opportunity of growth, hard to get time off, isolated from other product lines that work at the office

March 16, 2020Social Care

Hi, there. Thanks so much for taking the time to give such candid feedback, it’s always welcome. I’m glad to hear you enjoy your time with your co-workers and working on team-building exercises. We understand how important it is that you are surrounded by good people in a positive work environment. Professional growth is something we encourage in every employee. We build for the long term here; having the time to explore your areas of interest and becoming an expert in your role means you can provide the best advice for the merchants, and that you will enjoy a long career at Shopify. I’m sorry to hear you've experienced issues with overtime. You are scheduled for 8 hours shifts and are not required or expected to work past those set hours. I would recommend speaking to your Squad Lead, or if you would feel more comfortable, you can reach out to your HR representative. The same thing applies for growth, this is something your Squad Lead is responsible for advocating. If you’ve come across any situations where you feel like you weren’t given the best chance to advance in your career here, please reach out to your lead or your HR rep. Regarding dismissal, we believe strongly that feedback is a gift and ensure that employees receive extensive coaching and performance management. We take these hard decisions seriously and with limited exceptions in cases of gross misconduct, a dismissal would never come as a surprise to an employee. Remote working can definitely have its challenges; meeting other teams is one for sure. It can be hard to meet or speak to new teams outside of your own squad or Guruland itself! We have a Sidekicks program that will match you with a random person in order to chat via slack and foster new relationships. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback, hearing honest feedback like this is how we can improve and grow in the future.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 63 English Reviews