Shopify Remote Guru Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Tobias Lütke

"An anxiety-inducing job."

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros: -Immediate benefits -Benefits are great - from lifestyle spending to insurance coverage -Working from comfort of home -Paid vacation days

Cons

Cons: -Anxiety-inducing -Working overtime without pay -High-stress phone calls with merchants -Needed to always up sell -Not much room for growth into company - essentially stuck at Guru position

Advice to Management

-3 simultaneous chats whilst writing notes and responding to merchants in under 2 minutes is too much for any person to do a good job and actually help merchants

Shopify2019-10-05
  2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great people, lots of opportunity to make an impact.

Cons

Salary for the guru role could be better.

Shopify2019-09-11
  3. "Good company, not for everyone"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great perks and benefits, awesome coworkers

Cons

Only one speed. If you cannot keep up, you are drowning. Not the best for any with health problems or for any intersectionals, although they say they are improving this. Difficult to get time off. Inconsistent management seems to be a widespread problem, other employees were only too eager to tell me.

Shopify2019-09-09
  4. "Amazing opportunity. You wont regret working here"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great Learning Opportunity - Get your own store - Amazing Bonuses

Cons

- Being remote can feel isolating - Can get boring once you a high understanding of the role

Shopify2019-08-28

"You know how people say this "isn't for everyone"? I'm part of that "everyone"."

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing benefits! - Fantastic 6-week comprehensive training process. - Everybody I met was very kind and always willing to help.

Cons

Intensity of the Role - While I loved the training, the people, and felt I was truly set up for success, when it came time to actually performing the role, I immediately struggled to the point of not eating, not sleeping, constant nausea, and intense anxiety. I believe this was largely due to constantly having to be "on" - when you're on phones and/or chats, your every pee break is timed by the second. Every... conversation is recorded and Shopify has very specific messaging that can be extremely difficult to keep up with (especially since new features are always being added/subtracted). There wasn't a day where I was able to actually leave when my shift ended - I would always spend at least an hour trying to keep up with phone calls, chats, and email. High Turnover - Although I was only in the role for about a month before the cons outweighed the pros for me, I experienced a ton of inconsistent management and several people in my initial training group has resigned due to stress and anxiety-related concerns. Additionally, I heard way too many stories of people who were afraid they were going to get fired any second for taking too long of a break here, not keeping up with 3 simultaneous chats well enough, etc. In my short time there, I heard from tons of people about the high turnover rate and was really alarmed by how many people from my training group ended up leaving within the first month. False Promises - Throughout training, you're encouraged to think about the roles you want to move into after your time as a guru. You go to Zoom meeting after Zoom meeting where someone who got promoted from the guru role after 2 weeks is telling you all about their department. Then, once you get into the role, you quickly learn that rapid movement is something that's dying out - and it's now pretty much impossible to get out of the guru role even after 2+ years. I worked in sales and customer service for many years, but Shopify exudes a kind of pressure and exhaustion I have never before experienced. In a few short weeks, I lost control of my mental health - even as someone who's very active, healthy, and makes a concerted effort to prioritize my mental wellbeing. My main point here - Shopify Gurus get amazing benefits, but at a steep cost. I would absolutely NOT recommend this role for anyone who deals with anxiety.

Shopify2019-09-15

"Support is The Matrix"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

The OVERALL culture of the company is great.

Cons

The culture of the Support department is your typical clique, "boys club" atmosphere, where if you aren't part of the "crew", your performance doesn't matter, and they will look for any reason(s) to get rid of you. The rest of the company is blinded to this fact, which is why I refer to the support department as though it's The Matrix.

Shopify2019-07-23
  7. "Very Micromanaged"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Remote, OR

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Benefits are amazing -Salary is decent -Work from home

Cons

-Lacks diversity -Leads are not very understanding of peoples unique situations -very micromanaged

Shopify2019-06-12

"Not what I expected"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Okanagan, BC

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home. There are alot of company incentives and benefits.

Cons

You have to be good at selling the plans.

Advice to Management

When training new employees consider informing them they will be kroe selling than actual helping.

Shopify2019-07-03
  9. "Fantastic company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great additional benefits that start from day one. Seems like the company really wants to take care of its employees.

Cons

Working from home can be difficult due to solitude.

Shopify2019-05-16

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mental Health is very important to them so it is a safe space to talk openly about struggles and receive support from peers. You have the freedom to fully be yourself which creates a nice work environment.

Cons

As a remote employee I don't get the opportunity for casual breaks of conversation with coworkers. All breaks are monitored, so there isn't much room to relax and it feels like you are always working which can lead to major burnout.

Shopify2019-05-04