Shopify Guru (Remote) Reviews

Updated 11 Jul 2020

2.9
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

"50/50 Chance you'll end up with a great leader versus wildly inadequate leader"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay to start, great benefits, expense account

Cons

Many of the leadership were promoted out of necessity and weren't fit to lead. Lots of double standards in what they believe versus what they expect of employees. Didn't receive any support from upper management when it was needed.

"Okay place to work overall"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work with a lot of great people and are able to develop a lot of great relationships. Overall benefits are great, working from home is great.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in support, stricter vacation guidelines compared to the rest of the company, remote culture is different from the culture in office, it's a high and fast paced environment so if it's something that you aren't used to - it may cause you anxiety.

"Good values and perks. Bad, burn out culture."

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good perks. Good company values. Good culture.

Cons

Bad burn out culture. Ambiguous targets, with management not having any experience in the role. Common stress leave rotations across all levels of support.

"Remote Shopify Success Guru"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Offices, Culture, Lifestyle Spending

Cons

High stress, burn-out, lack of diversity

July 28, 2020Social Care

Hi, thanks for the review! Nowhere is the values of constant and deliberate learning more important as in our Guru team. We ask our Gurus to constantly strive to learn, practice and reflect upon those skills and concepts necessary to succeed in the role. Our Gurus are the first port of call when one of our merchants needs a helping hand, so this role can definitely have its challenges! We appreciate Shopify’s fast-paced & constantly changing environment can sometimes feel difficult to thrive in - and that is OK! Be sure to take advantage of things like personal days if you need to take time to rest and refuel. Your Squad Lead is also there to talk to if you are feeling stressed or burned-out. I'm glad to hear you see value in the benefits and lifestyle spending! We work hard to continually review our perks and benefits to ensure we remain competitive and employees can tailor their package to their lifestyle. Thank you again for the review!

"Great Company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Remote Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Schedule, Colleagues, Vacation, Job Duties

Cons

None that I can think of

March 24, 2020Social Care

Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to post a review. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your time with Shopify and found so many things beneficial. Transparency between all levels is something that is highly important. Based on input from the team, we have reconfigured the Quality Assurance model in 2019 and have received very positive feedback from both support leads and Gurus, as expectations of the role are clearer. Compensation reviews are based on individual performance; some areas that are assessed are your level of impact on your role, on your team, and on our merchants. It is always possible to reach out to a squad lead or an HR rep for more information. Thank you again for your feedback!

"The Real review of the Guru role"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

working remote, good co-workers, time for professional growth, team building activities

Cons

lots of overtime, can be fired at any time, no opportunity of growth, hard to get time off, isolated from other product lines that work at the office

March 16, 2020Social Care

Hi, there. Thanks so much for taking the time to give such candid feedback, it’s always welcome. I’m glad to hear you enjoy your time with your co-workers and working on team-building exercises. We understand how important it is that you are surrounded by good people in a positive work environment. Professional growth is something we encourage in every employee. We build for the long term here; having the time to explore your areas of interest and becoming an expert in your role means you can provide the best advice for the merchants, and that you will enjoy a long career at Shopify. I’m sorry to hear you've experienced issues with overtime. You are scheduled for 8 hours shifts and are not required or expected to work past those set hours. I would recommend speaking to your Squad Lead, or if you would feel more comfortable, you can reach out to your HR representative. The same thing applies for growth, this is something your Squad Lead is responsible for advocating. If you’ve come across any situations where you feel like you weren’t given the best chance to advance in your career here, please reach out to your lead or your HR rep. Regarding dismissal, we believe strongly that feedback is a gift and ensure that employees receive extensive coaching and performance management. We take these hard decisions seriously and with limited exceptions in cases of gross misconduct, a dismissal would never come as a surprise to an employee. Remote working can definitely have its challenges; meeting other teams is one for sure. It can be hard to meet or speak to new teams outside of your own squad or Guruland itself! We have a Sidekicks program that will match you with a random person in order to chat via slack and foster new relationships. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback, hearing honest feedback like this is how we can improve and grow in the future.

"Frustrating if Your Lead is Disengaged"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great learning opportunities, new-age company tries their best to have a good culture.

Cons

Limited room for growth within the support team.

8. "Worth the investment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work life balance Salaried pay Health benefits

Cons

Can be stressful Lots of multitasking A lot of responsibility

"Not What You Think"

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are pretty good, they are very customizable. You get 5000 every year in a Lifestyle spending account, dedicated to improving your health eg. shoes, canoe, etc. Th benefits are what are keeping me from leaving right now.

Cons

Initial Observations: I was actually very excited to work for Shopify, I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to elevate my skills and try a new field, but it didn't really go as planned. I realized very early that, Guru's are not paid nearly as much as they deserve - considering the amount of work that we do. Your bi-weekly pay will be around 1,250 (if you are working in Ontario). I know some may be like, “thats not bad, why the complaints," it’s really hard to explain exactly what the job entails, because of how much I do - I would be writing an essay, but I know for sure it is definitely not enough. Training Experience: I was part of a training pilot which was only 4 weeks long. Usually, training for Guru's is 6 weeks, but they shorted it to 4 for my team, as a “test.” I believe this really negatively impacted me as a Guru, not only in terms of preparedness when I hit live channels, but also what was expected of me in my role. During training, it was a constant race against time. My trainer was always rushing, always cutting things short or giving us unreasonable deadlines because there wasn't enough time to truly go through all the content. I found myself skimming through the Bridge Courses (course readings) because there was simply never enough time to fully read through them. At times, this resulted in me having to spend 2-4 hours completing tasks that were suppose to be done in training, on my own time after work. Which isn't really ideal nor is it fair. Furthermore, you only have a few days to learn how to navigate 3 chats at once. This may sound like "oh a fews days, not bad" but in reality it requires a lot more time/practice, it not as easy as it seems, it is actually very stressful. The questions in chats, can be extremely complex considering how dynamic the platform is. You are also required to take notes for every ticket, reach out to live channels, and do follow-up emails, while simultaneously trying to solve the problem. Most of the questions I have received in chats, I did not learning training, it required my own research during the live chat. Furthermore, another common rumour about Shopify is that is it easy to move up. During training, you have various people from different teams that chat to you about how they moved up to different teams. One thing they all have in common is that they “started as guru’s, just like you.” I can’t even begin to explain how many times I heard that phrase. Actually, it is not that easy to move up. I witnessed members of my team (who have been there 3-4 years) mentioning they would love to move to other teams - eg. Risk or Theme Support. They would ask about steps and how they can reach their goals. Squad Leads and trainers, literally say “Master the Guru role first.” Which to some degree I understand, how can you move on to another role is you haven’t mastered your current role. The thing is though, you can never really “master the Guru role,” you can never know everything about the Guru role because of how dynamic the role is. Instead, it’s really based on who you know and how likeable you are. It really depends on your Squad Lead, they stand between you and your goal. Management Attitudes/Guidance: As the weeks began to draw closer to my time to hit live channels solo, I became extremely anxious, I knew I wasn’t ready and I felt extremely unprepared. I was struggling in my mentored chats, and also just struggling with what my role was and how to answer merchant questions. It was not only me who felt this way. I remember a peer on my training team, literally saying in a video call, “I do not feel prepared, there are a lot of Guru horror stories about this feeling, how do I navigate this, how can you guys help me?” Our lead, completely dodged the question. The answer was, “all starting guru’s feel this way,” and he later sent her a video on how to manage stress. That is the problem with Shopify. They do not take Guru concerns seriously or at all. I was feeling burnout during my training and I am still feeling it now as a regular Guru, and no one actually addresses this issue head on. Instead, they glaze over it with comments like, “everyone feels this way,” “you’re not managing your stress properly,” “maybe this isn’t the job for you,” “you’re not being resourceful enough,” THIS IS NOT OKAY. By doing this, Shopify is taking accountability off of themselves, and placing on the Guru, this is extremely dismissive, toxic, and not an appropriate way to address/solve concerns. This type of dismissive behaviour, has really had a negative impact on my mental health. I know that the employer comment to this is going to be something like, “Surprised to hear this, we take our employee’s mental health seriously, we try to provide the best training and support, blah blah blah,” I know this is what you believe in and strive for, but it is not actually how it manifests. I am constantly feeling like I am not good enough at my job, that this job isn’t for me, that my feelings aren’t valid, that my stress is my own fault. It wasn’t until recently that I realized, these are all things I heard from Shopify Leads, as a way to shift accountability and not actually address issues within the structure of the Guru role. The feelings Guru’s are having, speak more to the training/support not being as effective as it should be, it is not solely the Guru.

Continue reading

"Fair Company, great perks and awesome team members"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

- Great benefits, from dental/ medical - Offer personal development time and encourage you to learn more and improve your professional and personal skills - Awesome interactions with various team members from all over the world - Great opportunities to network within the company - Can create your own websites and play around. You'll know the inside tips and tricks and can have a higher chance of making things work online than a first time website creator - You'll get Shopify shares when joining which will be fully transferred to you over a period of 3+ years. This is great as Shopify is doing very well on stock markets - You will be given $5k/ year to either use for lifestyle expenses, RRSP, charity & 1 more. - You get paid OT if you sign up for it - You get a certain amount of days off a year, in addition to personal days

Cons

- You will be dealing with customers who are reaching out only when something is wrong. Nobody really contacts customer care to show their appreciation. Dealing with negativity on a near daily basis can be very depressing - Dealing with angry customers on phone calls, especially for new gurus. Some people just want something for free - and this can be very wearing mentally - Many days you will work past your work hours catching up with mails, you don't get paid OT for this - Your schedule always changes, in terms of days of the week. There are rotations, your hours are fixed, but you could be working Saturday/ Sundays for a while, then perhaps Tuesdays/ Thursdays would be off etc. - If you're stuck with a team lead who you don't gel with, or team members that may rub you up the wrong way, you're in for it

Found 59 reviews