Find jobs for Guru (Remote)

Shopify Guru (Remote) Reviews

Updated 15 Sep 2020

2.9
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
  1. "Pretty good for the most part"

Former Employee - Remote Guru in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

remote, good pay, great benefits, equipment provided

Cons

mentally draining, hard to separate work from home

Continue reading
  2. "Good culture and benefits, no room for growth"

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture, awesome above and beyond benefits.

Cons

Role became more sales based than service which led to more micromanaging. Also, everyone made it seem like there was lots of room for growth but that was far from the truth.

3. "Amazing benefits and good salary"

Former Employee - Remote Shopify Guru in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits, great starting salary, supportive work environment

Cons

High stress and pressure, you have to work weekends on a rotating basis

"50/50 Chance you'll end up with a great leader versus wildly inadequate leader"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay to start, great benefits, expense account

Cons

Many of the leadership were promoted out of necessity and weren't fit to lead. Lots of double standards in what they believe versus what they expect of employees. Didn't receive any support from upper management when it was needed.

"Okay place to work overall"

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work with a lot of great people and are able to develop a lot of great relationships. Overall benefits are great, working from home is great.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in support, stricter vacation guidelines compared to the rest of the company, remote culture is different from the culture in office, it's a high and fast paced environment so if it's something that you aren't used to - it may cause you anxiety.

"Good values and perks. Bad, burn out culture."

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good perks. Good company values. Good culture.

Cons

Bad burn out culture. Ambiguous targets, with management not having any experience in the role. Common stress leave rotations across all levels of support.

"Remote Shopify Success Guru"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Offices, Culture, Lifestyle Spending

Cons

High stress, burn-out, lack of diversity

Social Care

Hi, thanks for the review! Nowhere is the values of constant and deliberate learning more important as in our Guru team. We ask our Gurus to constantly strive to learn, practice and reflect upon those skills and concepts necessary to succeed in the role. Our Gurus are the first port of call when one of our merchants needs a helping hand, so this role can definitely have its challenges! We appreciate Shopify’s fast-paced & constantly changing environment can sometimes feel difficult to thrive in - and that is OK! Be sure to take advantage of things like personal days if you need to take time to rest and refuel. Your Squad Lead is also there to talk to if you are feeling stressed or burned-out. I'm glad to hear you see value in the benefits and lifestyle spending! We work hard to continually review our perks and benefits to ensure we remain competitive and employees can tailor their package to their lifestyle. Thank you again for the review!

"Great Company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Remote Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Schedule, Colleagues, Vacation, Job Duties

Cons

None that I can think of

Social Care

Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to post a review. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your time with Shopify and found so many things beneficial. Transparency between all levels is something that is highly important. Based on input from the team, we have reconfigured the Quality Assurance model in 2019 and have received very positive feedback from both support leads and Gurus, as expectations of the role are clearer. Compensation reviews are based on individual performance; some areas that are assessed are your level of impact on your role, on your team, and on our merchants. It is always possible to reach out to a squad lead or an HR rep for more information. Thank you again for your feedback!

"The Real review of the Guru role"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

working remote, good co-workers, time for professional growth, team building activities

Cons

lots of overtime, can be fired at any time, no opportunity of growth, hard to get time off, isolated from other product lines that work at the office

Social Care

Hi, there. Thanks so much for taking the time to give such candid feedback, it’s always welcome. I’m glad to hear you enjoy your time with your co-workers and working on team-building exercises. We understand how important it is that you are surrounded by good people in a positive work environment. Professional growth is something we encourage in every employee. We build for the long term here; having the time to explore your areas of interest and becoming an expert in your role means you can provide the best advice for the merchants, and that you will enjoy a long career at Shopify. I’m sorry to hear you've experienced issues with overtime. You are scheduled for 8 hours shifts and are not required or expected to work past those set hours. I would recommend speaking to your Squad Lead, or if you would feel more comfortable, you can reach out to your HR representative. The same thing applies for growth, this is something your Squad Lead is responsible for advocating. If you’ve come across any situations where you feel like you weren’t given the best chance to advance in your career here, please reach out to your lead or your HR rep. Regarding dismissal, we believe strongly that feedback is a gift and ensure that employees receive extensive coaching and performance management. We take these hard decisions seriously and with limited exceptions in cases of gross misconduct, a dismissal would never come as a surprise to an employee. Remote working can definitely have its challenges; meeting other teams is one for sure. It can be hard to meet or speak to new teams outside of your own squad or Guruland itself! We have a Sidekicks program that will match you with a random person in order to chat via slack and foster new relationships. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback, hearing honest feedback like this is how we can improve and grow in the future.

"Frustrating if Your Lead is Disengaged"

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great learning opportunities, new-age company tries their best to have a good culture.

Cons

Limited room for growth within the support team.

Found 62 reviews