Shopify Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated 11 Jul 2020

4.1
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "You work from home which is best decision I ever made as well as helping the planet(in 62 reviews)

• "Lots of freedom to work on new ideas, in-house chefs and great benefits(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "There were no cons during my time there(in 19 reviews)

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"50/50 Chance you'll end up with a great leader versus wildly inadequate leader"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay to start, great benefits, expense account

Cons

Many of the leadership were promoted out of necessity and weren't fit to lead. Lots of double standards in what they believe versus what they expect of employees. Didn't receive any support from upper management when it was needed.

2. "This company saved my life"

5.0
    Former Employee - Support Team

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Starts at a decent living wage, great benefits and perks, great growth oriented culture, mission/vision is clear. Learn a lot, fast. Great training - they’ll educate you on how to handle client “baggage”, imposter syndrome, burnout, and business. Subjects that most companies will not address. Colleagues are great, easy to make friends with everyone. The company is open to challenges and feedback, and values honesty and transparency. Depending on the shifts or teams you work for, there can be quite a bit of autonomy. Company invests in their employees growth.

Cons

High-paced environment, not suitable or sustainable for all employees. Can lead to burnout if you’re not taking good care of yourself.

Continue reading

"Care more about stats than customer which is disappointing."

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Kelowna, BC

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have very great benefits.

Cons

My manager got mad at me because my time in between calls was a minute longer than other people. It was pointed out that I finish my calls 6 minutes quicker than the rest of my team so I should just keep the customer on the line for an extra minute while I take notes so that my stats look better. This is from a company that "doesn't care about stats". I gave my notice after that because I don't want to take a customers time up just to make my stats better. It's sad because they seem like a good company but that just screams caring more about stats and bottom line than customers.

"Great benefits, decent pay, tough job, no path to advance either."

4.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay. Overall great company with a great mission. Get to chat with and help insanely talented entrepreneurs, artists and businesses on a daily basis. Annual retreats. Get to be part of a great brand that is growing like crazy. Opportunity to build your own business while employed.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement. Insanely competitive for what opportunities there are. Little constructive feedback to action for advancement. No clear guidelines for advancing in the company. Company line is always, “just be better at your current job”, even if you are already top tier performer. Intense multitasking for hours on end. Management very focused on smiley ratings from customers, but no way to dispute ratings based on circumstances beyond your control, like service outages, or policy changes. Excessive performance metrics. Sales targets, which are never called sales targets. Typically your workday on the day you start the job and your workday 2-3 years later will be identical. No variation in tasks or responsibilities, leads to very stagnant growth and desperate competition for advancement.

Continue reading

"Fair Company, great perks and awesome team members"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

- Great benefits, from dental/ medical - Offer personal development time and encourage you to learn more and improve your professional and personal skills - Awesome interactions with various team members from all over the world - Great opportunities to network within the company - Can create your own websites and play around. You'll know the inside tips and tricks and can have a higher chance of making things work online than a first time website creator - You'll get Shopify shares when joining which will be fully transferred to you over a period of 3+ years. This is great as Shopify is doing very well on stock markets - You will be given $5k/ year to either use for lifestyle expenses, RRSP, charity & 1 more. - You get paid OT if you sign up for it - You get a certain amount of days off a year, in addition to personal days

Cons

- You will be dealing with customers who are reaching out only when something is wrong. Nobody really contacts customer care to show their appreciation. Dealing with negativity on a near daily basis can be very depressing - Dealing with angry customers on phone calls, especially for new gurus. Some people just want something for free - and this can be very wearing mentally - Many days you will work past your work hours catching up with mails, you don't get paid OT for this - Your schedule always changes, in terms of days of the week. There are rotations, your hours are fixed, but you could be working Saturday/ Sundays for a while, then perhaps Tuesdays/ Thursdays would be off etc. - If you're stuck with a team lead who you don't gel with, or team members that may rub you up the wrong way, you're in for it

6. "Good place to start"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

great benefits, good work culture, learn a lot about running a business,

Cons

Have to deal with rude customers, always being watched, gets too busy, feel like a robot sometimes

7. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior 3D Artist in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great food, lots of smart and interesting people, an executive team that is forward thinking. Employees are empowered and trusted.

Cons

The company tends to attract a lot of elitist people.

"Shopify is not taking employee burnout seriously"

1.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and working from home is ideal. A lot of really nice people work at this company.

Cons

The guru role is expanding all the time and it is almost impossible to keep up. Management is just not listening and I've been here for 2 years and can see they are not listening. Burn out is frequent and real, and with only 10 sick days a year allowed, you end up taking days off and not getting paid for them if you go over those 10 days. The work load of the role has increased 100% but the salary definitely has not kept pace with that. 30 minute lunches and being micro managed is really frustrating. Shopify says they trust us and we are adults, but they micro manage guru's and watch our every move - even bathroom breaks! Steer clear of this role if you are thinking of this company.

9. "Cool place to work!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of freedom to work on new ideas, in-house chefs and great benefits

Cons

You'll likely get less guidance/mentorship in what it takes to become a Product Manager than in more developed APM programs.

"Not Entirely What I Expected"

Former Employee - Customer Support Guru in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, stock options, competitive pay

Cons

Inconsistent training, inconsistent scheduling, constantly changing platform

Found 40 reviews