Shopify Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated 22 Jul 2020

4.1
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "You work from home which is best decision I ever made as well as helping the planet(in 62 reviews)

• "Lots of freedom to work on new ideas, in-house chefs and great benefits(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "There were no cons during my time there(in 19 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews

"Systematic Problems"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are amazing Working from home offers flexibility The benefits package is impressive You'll learn more than you ever thought possible

Cons

Working from home can be isolating Being remote means you don't get paid as much as someone working in the office (and they don't keep up with cost of living - hope you like making the same salary for 5 years straight) When perks are given company-wide, Support is usually excluded, or given a watered-down version Perks don't pay the bills, but are included when they evaluate your compensation and tell you it's "on par with industry standard" Growth outside of Support is all but impossible. Success stories exist but are maybe 1% Chokehold on scheduling - good luck trying to take a vacation or even take a pee break when you need it Decision makers are far removed from the front line. The Shopify they talk about publicly doesn't exist. Major changes happen daily. Support lives in chaos. Huge decisions are made and then walked back within hours You're expected to keep track of changes but given no time to do so Management's perception of what the job is vs the reality of what it actually is differ appallingly No metrics for success, no consistency in evaluation. Raises based on "impact", but "impact" is undefined and raises are so rare that most people think assume don't exist. Leadership with minimal training, human resources issues abound and don't get handled appropriately Gaslighting happens everywhere - you'll be told there's no issue and everything is fine, even as you're struggling to stay afloat Senior/Executive management is 90 + % white and male. No interest in differing perspectives or changing status quo at the top. Support workers are expendable

Continue reading
  2. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Waterford

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay. Work from home. Great culture

Cons

Can be a bit lonely sometimes.

3. "Fantastic company"

Current Employee - Theme Specialist in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work from home. The commute is amazing The benefits package is great, and you get it on Employment Day 1 (for full time employees). Leadership is always learning and growing with their employees. They don't always get it right, but they're willing to learn from their mistakes.

Cons

Entry level (Guru) is an incredibly stressful job. It will take all of your spoons. Progressing in the company is not as easy as it used to be (because the company is so much bigger). Our racial diversity needs a lot of work.

"Okay place to work overall"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work with a lot of great people and are able to develop a lot of great relationships. Overall benefits are great, working from home is great.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in support, stricter vacation guidelines compared to the rest of the company, remote culture is different from the culture in office, it's a high and fast paced environment so if it's something that you aren't used to - it may cause you anxiety.

"Kool aid culture that punishes honesty"

2.0
    Former Employee - Squad Lead in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work from home, nice co workers

Cons

lack of opportunity, call centre vibe, metrics driven, micro managing, unqualified leadership

"Best company ever"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

After several bad experiences with corporates businesses, Shopify has showed me a light at the end of the tunnel. First of all, they treat you like a human being and as a person, and if you have any issues in your private life they will help you out as much as they can. And in Shopify you're supporting merchants as a Guru where they have an online store, and if they run into any issues or you're helping them out with any advice that you can give them. After one year of tenure with Shopify I still can't believe how they treat their employees. Everyone is so caring and everyone helps you out as much as they can. And trust me when I say that you're not a number here. I spoke with some CEO's and Directors and they're normal people like us, they'll listen to you and they will take your feedback very very seriously. Pros: 1. Working from home - I never thought that working from home will be so fun and relaxing. After spending 5 hours a day on commute on previous job, working from home came as God given! More time with family and kids, drastic saving either on public transport or on car fuel and no more spending €10-15 on lunch in cantina. 2. Amazing colleagues and Team Managers - These people will give their hearts out to help you out, and no backstabbing! 3. Perks and benefits - Every year you get a significant amount of € bonus (trust me when I say significant) to expense it as you want it. - Fully covered private health care and full paid by Shopify - 20 days of holidays and 10 personal days (call it sick days but they aren't) so technically you have 30 working days of leave. 4. Professional development - If you want to learn more about your job or if you think that an online course or a book will help you out, Shopify will cover the expenses. 5. Loads of training each week that you get allocated outside of live channels or Professional Development time too. 6. Salary - Salary is amazing when comparing same role with Apple. I'm not going to mention Amazon as they are paying peanuts compared to Shopify and they don't brainwash you like the others. Just to add, this isn't a manager review, I'm a Guru here in Ireland and my family means everything to me! I used to commute 5 hours a day before Shopify to bring bread in our house, my little kids didn't even see me, in morning when I would leave nor in evening when I would come back home. My relationship with my children has drastically improved because I'm working from home and you're always there for them if anything happens! I know that some other reviewers will complain about Social life balance because we're working from home. If someone isn't capable of going out to a pub or to call their friend to meet up after they finish their shift then something is really wrong with these people. And I've been super productive while working from home, no dress code...nothing. No 50-100 other people around me laughing, talking, coughing, sneezing, creating distraction which would distract you. So yes, this is a place for me to stay!

Cons

Handling 3 chats at the same time can be daunting!

Shopify Response

March 31, 2020Shopify Representative

Hey! Thank you for taking the time to leave such thorough and helpful feedback. It’s heartwarming to hear how positive your experience has been overall since you joined Shopify. It’s particularly great to know you feel heard and you feel everyone is approachable and caring, even at the executive level. I’m glad you see working from home as a positive and you’re achieving a better work/life balance and getting more family time since joining Shopify. That is important for sure. The Talent team at Shopify work hard to continually review our perks and benefits to ensure we remain competitive and employees can tailor their package to their lifestyle. They will appreciate your great feedback here. Support Leadership have been asked in the past why gurus are handling 3 chats at once. The research they have done indicates this is the best way to handle the volume of chats we get, especially since there is often a delay in one merchant responding. Being able to handle other chats while you wait on them coming back tends to be more efficient. That being said, I will certainly send this feedback on for you as I know they are constantly reviewing our processes. I hope you’ve also discussed it with your lead. They are likely to have suggestions on managing this. Another thing I find helpful is discussing this in a meeting with the rest of your squad. Everyone has different techniques on how they handle their chats so brainstorming together can be helpful in coming up with new ideas on how best to manage your workflow. Again, thank you for your thoughtful feedback!

"It's a really great place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home, good salary, paid sick days, awesome coworkers and okey benefits

Cons

very, very high stress. You have to be tough to do this job. It burns everyone out at some point and it can be really overwhelming.

Continue reading

"Decent job if you're desperate"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Galway

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

work from home, some professional development time scheduled in

Cons

no growth opportunities, toxic work environment

9. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Recruitment

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Amazing culture, a place where you can really be yourself. Incredible perks, benefits. Flexible vacation, flexible work hours, work from home option. Great leadership so far in my experience. A lot of movement within the company, a place where you can grow if you really put yourself out there (of course having the relationships and connection helps). They're constantly moving forward so it's an engaging environment to be part of.

Cons

There's a lot of change at the company- things don't stay the same for long, so you have to be comfortable in that kind of environment. There wasn't a lot of formal training for my job, and for a lot of the positions at the company.

"Recent Guru"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being able to work from home

Cons

Unbelievable expectations from gurus. It is always expanding and covers all aspects of the front facing business. Includes trouble shooting, coaching and SALES WHICH THEY TRY TO DISGUISE. The pay is in no way aligned with the work required. You are contantly micromanaged by less than competent managers and get hammered for stepping away from your computer for a minute. 30-minute lunch break! What??? Unless I'm ordering takeout every day, it doesn't work. They expect you to have fast internet, but don't pay for it?? Expect you to be reachable by the slack app on your cell phone but don't cover your plan or phone???? Supremely unprofessional and use all the colorful language you can think of, which is endorsed by corporate because I guess they're hip? Everybody you meet talks about how they moved up from being a guru into whatever role they are in now. YA OK, when there were 100 employees that's bound to happen, not when there's 10000. This also results in incompetence all across.

Found 62 reviews