SiteMinder Reviews

Updated 28 Jun 2020

3.9
SiteMinder CEO Sankar Narayan
Sankar Narayan
Pros
  • "Great people building a great company(in 10 reviews)

• "Great culture amongst peers, everyone is helpful and positive(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Our Sydney office space is currently (Feb 2020) a little cramped but we're moving to amazing new premises soon(in 12 reviews)

• "Career progression became difficult if you did not play into their games and office politics(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Just getting started."

Current Employee - Creative Director in Sydney

I have been working at SiteMinder full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of team initiatives to keep everyone entertained. Great people to work with, everyone is high energy and dedicated to making better products and services. Relentless innovation and release of new products. Company is growing and there's room for people to grow within the organisation. Great executive level team, all with a clear vision of where the company is going. They've created a really strong foundation for us to build on in the future. The company has been going for nearly 14 years but still has a startup feel and energy. Recent investment and unicorn status makes us feel like we're just getting started.

Cons

Our Sydney office space is currently (Feb 2020) a little cramped but we're moving to amazing new premises soon.

2. "Manager"

I worked at SiteMinder full-time

Pros

+ Great people building a great company + International transfers

Cons

- Rapid growth sometimes means bad managers are promoted further than they should be

January 16, 2020Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review, we agree we have some great people and we fully intend to keep building and improving all our capabilities.

3. "Good, solid place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Product & Engineering in Sydney

I worked at SiteMinder full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, credible leadership team. Collective feeling of being part of a growing company. Nice office location.

Cons

Salaries are middling and it can be difficult to see how to advance your career. Some large infrastructure projects have been going on for ages and limit the amount of truly new work.

June 25, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's great to hear that you feel part of the team and I'm always excited to hear that we have great leaders! We continually benchmark our salaries to ensure that we pay employees a competitive and fair market rate. As an organisation that has gone through significant growth, there has been lots of opportunities for employees to develop either through new projects or promoted posts. However, we recognise that there is room for improvement in developing clearer career paths for employees. You are right, we did have a couple of large infrastructure projects as we made the leap from individual products to platform. This was a big shift, not only providing a much broader and more stable ecosystem for our developers, but a better experience for our customers.

"Typical tech company in Sydney"

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SiteMinder full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great for a starter employee Fantastic co-workers Relaxed attire to work - but do it at your own risk. You know the slob dressers won't get anywhere unless they're genius Ping pong table and billiard table at the community area, which are nice but made no difference to me

Cons

So many people at the bottom rung so it's impossible to move up the rank, even though they sell the "massive opportunity for career advancement" spiel during the interview. It's honestly a hoax because most people move sideways and they kept hiring outsiders for top positions. Weak leadership as the management only looked out for themselves. Salary was not great but it's probably on par with the other tech companies in Sydney.

April 22, 2020Senior HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback and we’re sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your experience with us entirely. We have recently rolled out career pathways for all customer teams which provides employees with the opportunity to develop new skills and progress within the organisation. We know we have very talented people and teams and experience lots of internal promotions and department moves. We advertise all opportunities internally, however there will always be times we need to hire in specific experience or new talent to ensure we have continuous diversity of thought.

5. "Good company"

Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Sydney

I have been working at SiteMinder full-time

Pros

Good company, good culture, good people

Cons

Salary, career progress, company vision

April 22, 2020Senior HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to hear you’re enjoying the culture and people you work with - we love it too! We have recently rolled out career pathways for customer teams, we believe this gives team members a clear pathway for progression which includes moving within salary bands too. Our monthly global All Hands is designed to continuously share our vision and goals, please speak with your manager/me if you would like further clarity.

6. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at SiteMinder full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, friendly team, great offices in a great location. Their tech is great and solves real issues.

Cons

Career advancement was limited in the Sydney sales office.

"Management issues"

2.0
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at SiteMinder full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues below the management level are some of the best you could hope for. HR are good at onboarding new staff. Segments of middle management are good at recruiting. That's where all the great colleagues come from. You get to use some of the latest technologies in the industry. We get an open fridge on Fridays.

Cons

No matter how much they recruit, they never have enough people because upper management struggle to prioritise. HR aren't trusted by a lot of staff, complaints that should have been dealt with in confidence end up having repercussions for the person who made the complaint. HR seems to think using surveys is going to help/yield insights into company culture and how to fix it without acknowledging that whenever they've tried to do this, it's not worked. Their solution is to keep changing the survey software. Product division take engineering for granted, as if there is a pecking order and engineering are lower on it.

January 21, 2020Global Head of People

Thank you for your feedback, we've invested heavily in recruitment and onboarding and it's great to hear that is paying off. I am however disappointed to hear your concerns around HR support and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you confidentially. This is the first time that we’ve received this type of feedback and it's really important that we are able to understand and address any concerns. Please reach out directly to myself or Matt Hyne, our VP, Engineering. Prioritisation is a continuous process for us, as an ambitious and fast growing organisation, this is something that our new Engineering Leadership team are working on improving. Our engagement survey has driven a number of new initiatives including tech bootcamps, career pathing, SiteMinder Live and wellness. Sounds like we can improve our communication around actions and initiatives. Our new tool which we implemented in November provides a greater level of insight which will allow us to tailor engagement initiatives by team once we have gathered enough data.

"Great place to learn and grow."

Product Owner in Sydney

I have been working at SiteMinder

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn about technology and work closely with development teams. Flexible office environment, good industry to be involved in. Surrounded by passionate people.

Cons

Too much middle management sometimes communication problems. Plenty of conferences but not enough certified training. Not enough recognition for the hardest workers the ones who self promote see the most movement in their career.

"Toxic work culture"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I worked at SiteMinder full-time for more than a year

Pros

A growing company with many job opportunities

Cons

Unqualified engineering leaders disrespecting engineers. People who may not qualify their role but talks well tend to get recognized and promoted.

December 15, 2019Global Head of People

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am disappointed to read your feedback as we are not only striving to become a world class engineering organisation, but we do not condone disrespectful behaviour at any level in the organisation. I would be keen to discuss this particular point with you. As you mentioned, we are growing and this has created many opportunities for internal career growth and promotions. We have also invested in a new engineering leadership layer to help us develop our engineering cultural and grow our maturity across the organisation. We recognise that there are growing pains and we won't always get it right, but we follow a robust recruitment process for all internal and external hiring.

10. "Game changer..."

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sydney

I have been working at SiteMinder full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The products and the people here are simply stellar. It is a company that embraces a very collaborative culture and open communication. There is a constant drive to make things better and more efficient whether it be with people, process, product or strategy. No one settles for just OK. Given the products address a very niche problem there is tremendous potential for growth. It may not be a Google or Uber yet, but it is a unicorn of a company in it's own sense. You will learn a lot and you will learn very quickly.

Cons

There is a lot happening and sometimes it is overwhelming. It can be a challenging place to work for those who need a lot of structure or constant direction.

December 1, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your game changing feedback! ;)

Found 182 reviews