Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 29 Jun 2019

Found 268 reviews

2.9
Managing Partners
Pros
  • "great projects and very talented people(in 20 reviews)

• "Learn a lot in a rather chaotic environment, but lots of talented people work there(in 14 reviews)

Cons

"Great job for a time, wouldn’t make it your career."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Phenomenal talent, fast learning, extensive resources, multi disciplinary collaboration at all scales/phases, extremely rigorous, very technical (if you want it, huge plus)

Cons

Low pay, no bonus, long hours, bad culture, no management support for progressive ideas or real change (all words, little action)

Advice to Management

Nurture retention by paying market rate

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP2019-06-29

"Good Opportunities for Intern"

Former Employee - Intern Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many Good Projects. Many Good Opportunities.

Cons

Too Much Over-Time. Stressful Working Environment.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP2019-06-13

"If you're overhead, you're undervalued"

I worked at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

SOM has prestige, legacy, and some respectable contributions to the history of architecture and engineering. This is great for nascent professionals interested in getting some nice bullet points on their resumes before moving on to better things. But for people more established in their careers - whether they're a designer or engineer, or mere overhead (e.g. HR, marketing, administration, etc.) - it's better to skip SOM...

Cons

SOM prides itself on being a collaborative practice. Their disciples say it's in the name - "Skidmore and Owings were architects. Merrill was an engineer. See? Collaboration." And then the disciples throw around idioms like "design by committee" without irony. None of them know the joke about how a camel is a horse designed by a committee, and they don't laugh when it's told. I was attracted to working at SOM because...

Advice to Management

Stop using the hollow auspices of "collaboration" and "decision by committee" to shirk the responsibility of actual leadership.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP2019-06-21

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of different kinds of projects, room for promotions.

Cons

Intense work, long hours, competitive environment

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP2019-05-30

"I worked at SOM for almost 2 years. Lovely hard working people, lots of opportunities however hard toxic management."

I worked at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP for more than a year

Pros

Great company name for your CV supper long hours and this not much appreciated. Good benefits but not enough holidays just 20 days.

Cons

Very toxic managers and partners who don't often understandable what other people are doing. They only interested in bonuses and covering their errors and luck of knowledge.

Advice to Management

To resign

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP2019-06-13

"Very talented staff, traditional managers, not so fun!"

Former Employee - Senior Architectural Professional in Washington, DC

I worked at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Access to great resources throughout the entire firm. Very talented and enthusiastic people. Culture of borrowing talent within office or between offices is great.

Cons

Not many exciting projects in DC. Few directors and managers on top are stuck in hierarchical mindset and have no regard for employees as individual human beings. Young staff are expected to work endless hours with minimal growth prospect. No opportunity to present ideas to the client. Compared to other architecture firms, DC office lags behind in industry events or any work that fosters the culture of the firm.

Advice to Management

DC office could benefit from higher management that values individual talents, not just billing hours. DC office is talented enough to handle projects and find local clients independently, DC being just a branch office to NY has in my opinion diminished flexibility and forward thinking in DC.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP2019-05-14

"SOM - Where everyone wants to work and everyone want to get out"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will work in Interesting Projects - SOM mystic nailed down a lot of iconic building projects all around the world. - A lot of Talented People

Cons

- The office Organization looks like a lot of Urban Tribes. - Work-life balance doesn't exist. I know for sure members of my team sometimes sleep in the office due to deadlines. - The corporate ladder it is so defined that all the Associates Directors and Directors they believe they are Gods.

Advice to Management

- The induction process needs to be refined. ( When I started working at SOM I was Isolated from my Team the buddy who was supposed to support me was a mess with a lack of organization I spent one week sitting alone in a desk far away from my team)

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP2019-05-19
  8. "Working at SOM"

Former Employee - Senior Architectural Professional

I worked at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP part-time

Pros

Great people to work with and great opportunity to work with team of experts in every field.

Cons

Not enough senior leadership in the LA office.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP2019-04-30

"Poor work/life balance"

Current Employee - Architectural Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredibly talented and knowledgeable colleagues. - Generally interesting projects in exciting locations

Cons

- No interest in work/life balance - Gender Imbalance - Supervisors assume you are always available - You will never know when you will be leaving each day - Poor time management - lots of wasted time - No 401k matching

Advice to Management

Given the experience and lifespan of SOM, one would assume that it operates as a well-oiled machine. However, there is a huge lack of time management that has an incredibly negative impact on lower level employees that are forced to pick up the pieces. Use your status as an internationally acclaimed architecture powerhouse to impact positive change and working conditions rather than barely reaching the status quo.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP2019-05-01

"interesting projects, but a meat grinder of a place"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great projects, knowledgable staff and high quality work

Cons

no work/life balance, senior leadership not very approachable, very hirearchial

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP2019-04-13