Sky Betting & Gaming Reviews in Leeds, England | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 11 Oct 2019

3.9
Sky Betting & Gaming CEO Ian Proctor
Ian Proctor
  1. "SBG has been a career changing company for me!"

Current Employee - Delivery Director in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Since joining SB&G I've grown so much in my role and been given a career path I didn't know was possible. I've worked with some extremely talented people across all of SBG. Everyone has a real can-do attitude and wants to play a part in solving problems and opportunities in SBG. I've had mentoring from some truly brilliant leaders and also been provided the support of a coach to help me grow as I've progressed... into leadership roles. I've also had the opportunity to mentor others, which is something I've really enjoyed. There is a general desire from everyone in SBG to learn and people are given the time to do that. Prior to joining SBG I wasn't clear on the direction I wanted to go in my career, SBG has helped me guide that and progress in the direction I wanted. From an Agile perspective, we're always trying to improve but it is, without doubt, the most Agile company I've worked in.

Cons

We often try to do a lot of things at once. It's mainly because we're ambitious in what we want to achieve, sometimes we need to improve how we prioritise this.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people and supporting them to grow. Keep driving the innovation and allowing people time to explore new tech, products, opportunities etc. Keep the spirit of the SBG culture - it's very unique!

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-08-20

"n/a"

Former Employee - Undisclosed in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

- If you are starting your career, it is a good place to learn - as long as you land in a team with knowledgable senior members. - Some talented and hard-working colleagues.

Cons

- The company become paralysed after the recent acquisition, a shadow of its former self. - Empty promises regarding opportunities and development. - Promotions only for those playing office politics. - Lots of people slacking off without any consequences.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees and cut the constant PR show. If you care where the company is heading, be considerate of your staff.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-08-30

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

+ Fantastic office environment purpose built around people + Rewards & recognition + Learning & Development (Ninja Fund of £1000 per person) + Culture. Genuinely great teams & people who want to do the right thing (no office politics) + Flexibility re working hours / remote working + Fast paced environment with loads of opportunities to progress + Good communication for such a large company. Lot's... of ways to find out what's going on in the company & ask questions direct to senior managers.

Cons

- Some uncertainty since acquisition by Stars Group which can be unsettling

Advice to Management

Keep putting people at the centre of everything we do. Happy & engaged people generally do great work.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-08-16
  4. "Stock Prices Kill Culture"

Former Employee - Product Owner in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Generally good colleagues - Young and energetic work force - Regular updates from senior directors

Cons

- Due to rapid expansion, a lot of first time managers are learning on the job - Lack of structure for those looking to progress - After being subject to a big acquisition there's a greater focus on short term targets

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-08-09

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The staff on the front line Probably a great place to work in the tech areas Great subject matter

Cons

Office politics in the masses Management who have worked there way up and way too inexperienced to run departments Sneakily make redundancies and bring in same roles under different titles No care for people Wellbeing comes last Barcelona thing is a joke - too many novelty values and ‘fads’

Advice to Management

Have a plan - nobody ever knows what they are doing. Care about your employees wellbeing instead of tasks and numbers

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-08-29

Sky Betting & Gaming Response

September 4, 2019Head of People Proposition

Hi, we're sorry you had a negative experience. Having been at SBG for 5+ years you will have seen the rapid growth and all the challenges involved in any business in this phase of growth, but also the fun that that brings too. If you you would like to raise and take any of the concerns further, please feel free to let us know at peoplesupport@skybettingandgaming.com.

"Poorly managed - have to be a "yes man" to progress."

Former Employee - Real Time Analyst in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and no one held accountable for mistakes means you can drift through this company on minimal effort, providing you make friends with the management. Opportunity to progress, and shots taken on newbies, often into roles you're vastly unqualified for, providing you're friends with the hiring manager.

Cons

The company culture is entirely based upon what senior management (who see you for 10mins a week) think your personality is. I've benefited from promotions I probably shouldn't have got, cos the management likes me, and been passed on ones I was by far the most qualified for, and management have no issue privately telling you it's because they don't really like you. People in power (in customer ops) have hired... their friends into senior positions from outside the company, and then fast tracked them up, to cement their own positions. They then establish a stranglehold on the truth so that the wider business has no idea what's going on. Those hired into management either have management backgrounds but no idea how to work in SBG or with the products, or know the products but have no idea how to manage. In either case no training is offered and this leads to a wholly incompetent lower management structure. Management is abusive and closes ranks if anyone raises a grievance, creating a bully culture and a sense of hopelessness for anyone who's their latest target. People raising mental health issues are passively mocked and smirked at. Oh and to top it all off, the company has just been subject to a takeover, the new owner's first actions was to cancel the profitability bonus (the company is still very profitable), lay off 10% of the workforce and start outsourcing to India.

Advice to Management

Get independent consultation, it's laughable how poorly the place is being run and how many people there are simply stealing a living. Put in a proper training and support structure for management and clean out the timewasters who are only there to bully those under them.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-07-22
  7. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the people, the culture, the ability to work outside of your role and own your ideas.

Cons

very fast paced, which might not suit everyone.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-07-12
  8. "A Marketing, Product and Tech company that specialises in Gambling"

Current Employee - Undisclosed in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

😀A definite industry leader with a track record of innovating in the market. SBG takes pride in not being a 'traditional Gambling' company and there is a real drive to change the industry for the better. 😀If you want to make a difference or speak to anybody, you can - there are very few sealed doors 😀Plenty of examples where people have grown personally and professionally within the business 😀Everybody has... access to up to a yearly, individual learning fund of up £1,000 😀Fundamentally, a company that cares and listens (both internally, with the approach to Wellbeing and externally, with the stance on Safer Gambling)

Cons

😐SBG isn't a perfect company but the Pros definitely outweigh the Cons 😕The company is so fast paced that it doesn't always suit everyone - it helps to be ambitious and willing to work hard 😕The company has grown quickly so there are areas that have had to add extra process to ensure smooth running 😕Due to there being so much headroom and so many opportunities, there have been occasions where SBG has tried to... do too much

Advice to Management

Try to minimise the 'pendulum swing' and find as many balances as possible

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-07-09
  9. "Used to be a good place to work.."

Former Employee - Operations in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of time off, good staff facilities, free sky.

Cons

No work to do, you can only watch so much youtube / netflix !. Awful 12 hour shifts. Fish Bowl environment. Appalling management, way too many departments all generally doing the same or similar work. The management structure is pathetic, nobody knows who does what..even the managers themselves. A good portion of the management team are for want of a better word, children...sometimes it feels like lord of the... flies in the office. Worst of all, you can't speak your mind... HR beckons if you do !. Also do not trust anybody, you can't keep anything a secret..it always get's back to management who then go crying to HR. I honestly think the Leeds office will be shut down very soon and all the IT shipped to Canada to be controlled by their parent company The Stars Group...after all why keep 2 offices open when you can train up staff and only have to pay for one ! Sky, you should be ashamed to have your name linked to this company. If you want to do no work for 12 hours, 5 days a week and catch up on game of thrones while being paid (fairly poorly) then this place is for you ! My recommendation is do not waste your time here !

Advice to Management

Try promoting based on skills rather than how easy they are going to be to manipulate. Live up to the things you 'value' such as mental health support because it's Ok to put you 'champion' things on paper but actually following these things through is an entirely different story.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-07-31

Sky Betting & Gaming Response

September 6, 2019Head of People Proposition

Hi and thanks for taking time to write a very detailed review. You obviously feel strongly about your experience while at SBG and some of the issues you describe. Please be careful when speculating on any future business moves as this can be very unsettling for current and future employees. We have a long term commitment to Leeds for all our teams, which is why have invested in a new 8 floor building in Wellington Place for current and future growth. If you would like to more formally raise anything in your review with People Support please contact them on peoplesupport@skybettingandgaming.com and they will happily investigate. All the best for your new career move.

10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Insight Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Benefits are great - Location is very convenient - Good people to work with - Lets you take on responsibilities from early on in your carreer

Cons

I couldn't really say any real cons to it.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-06-21