Smile Brands Reviews

Updated 29 Jul 2020

4.5
Smile Brands CEO Steven C. Bilt
Steven C. Bilt
Pros
  • "They also provide great benefits which allow employees to have flexibility with their working schedule(in 56 reviews)

• "Our mission is smiles for everyone and employees truly live by this(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • "I can honestly say that there are no cons that come to mind when I think about working for Smile Brands(in 51 reviews)

• "Still would love to see 401K match(in 26 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Great Place to work for"

Current Employee - Anymous in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Smile Brands full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management cares about their employees. They always try to find different ways to show appreciation and ensure the employees feel valued. During the pandemic that we are living management has truly taken an extra step to keep us safe. They are constantly checking up on us and asking if we need anything. Management is great and because of them this company is great.

Cons

Mall is across the street which makes saving money impossible.

2. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Insurance Collector in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Smile Brands full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

there is opportunity for growth at this company, I have learned a great deal here !

Cons

i do not have any

3. "A company that takes advantage of it's employees and patients"

2.0
    Former Employee - Treatment Coordinator in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Smile Brands full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I learned quite a bit with how to deal with tough clients/patients. The people that I worked with were not horrible people either.

Cons

Where to start? There was so much here that was a red flag. -Wage Theft: Committed by management. People who would work over 40 hours in a week were asked to make up those hours next week by coming in later. For example, if I worked 48 hours, I would be pulled into a quick meeting with the manager and she would ask me to come take longer lunches, come in later, etc the following week in order to spread out those 8 hours. In TX, any hours worked over 40 hours within a week are subject to overtime pay. I can attest that this happened on many different occasions and it would happen to everyone that was working at the Mansfield, TX location. -Non-compensated Promotions: Management, as well as regional management, would give additional tasks and would not compensate. For example, I was hired as a front desk receptionist. Within a year or two, I learned how to do the tasks and was able to perform at the level of a treatment coordinator. They asked me to fulfill this role multiple times, even as the treatment coordinator of that location left. However, they never compensated me. In fact, they hired another receptionist and paid her more than I was getting paid while they asked that I train her(she was unskilled). They claimed that a "promotion" was going through their system and was pending approval. -Institutionalized racism: As stated above, they would hire new people that were performing at a lower level than others, be it receptionists, dental assistants, and doctors who were not people of color and pay them more than they paid the people of color. -Racism and sexism towards our patients from management. Management racially profiled patients as soon as they walked in the door and would either hurry them through the system or make them wait a longer time in the waiting room. -Viewing the patients as a dollar sign, rather than an actual human being that had a real health and dental concern. There were many patients that were pressured or misled into using their insurance benefits before their policy ended, for the sake of using up insurance dollars in order to gain some profits for the company. I am aware of many occasions were the doctor and manager ordered more exams or pressured patients into spending more of their money. If a patient did not have money to pay for that, the manager would instruct the treatment coordinator to have them fill out a credit application(CareNow) so that they could get that treatment done before the month was up, in attempt to bring in more dollars for the office. There were many shady things that I witnessed while working here. I was afraid to speak up in fear of retaliation from management and did not know the laws before. As I began to realize what was happening, I decided that this was not a company that I could work for and could not dedicate my job to taking peoples money by pressuring them into a treatment plan that wasn't for the best of their dental health. When I worked here, I was constantly stressed.

Continue reading
  4. "Great working culture"

Current Employee - Dental Hygienist RDH in Las Vegas, NV
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Smile Brands full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly working environment, great communication with management , well managed and well organized office

Cons

Can't think of any as of now

"Worst Company Ever"

Former Employee - Dental Insurance Specialist in Irvine, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Smile Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's next to the big outdoor mall. The building's surroundings are gorgeous.

Cons

Tons of favoritism to the party-goers and obvious nepotism. Management is so unprofessional and show no compassion. You could have over 180 hours of PTO, get the flu and take 3 days off, return with a doctor's note, and get a nasty email the next day. This place is a joke! They had the whole company submit positive reviews on Glassdoor to get themselves recognized as a "great place to work". How awfully fraudulent and pathetic. Lots of shady things go on there.

Smile Brands Response

July 20, 2020Senior VP, Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate knowing your perspective however, I am concerned about some of the feedback you've posted. I work in the same location and would have liked to learn of your work experience as we have an open-door policy to share how you feel and to report the issues you outlined. I can find no report of such allegations ever being reported to human resources or through our anonymous reporting platform. We make every effort to work with employees to address and resolve their concerns. It is important to clarify that while we take our employer's reputation, we never ever force or direct employees to leave reviews on Glassdoor. I am especially interested in understanding more about your personal experience and welcome the chance to speak to you. Please email at tanisha.wicker@smilebrands.com.

"Beware there's no care here."

I have been working at Smile Brands full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The patients are the best part.

Cons

Call center, it's military style. Don't work here unless you want to sign over your freedom.

"Terrible company"

Former Employee - Registered Dental Hygienist

I worked at Smile Brands full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing, comes to mind. You’re better off with a different office.

Cons

Low pay. And there’s no opportunities for a raise. Overworked. No quality in their workspace and equipment. Asking hygienist to drive far to other offices for low pay. Benefits are cheap. The list goes on. Overall the management both in corporate and in the office is terrible. They will bombard you with messages and give little in return. No point in applying for a low grade quality dental company that doesn’t even have any knowledge on how the clinicians line of work.

Continue reading
  8. "Give a Smile - Get a Smile"

Current Employee - Director, Digital Marketing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Smile Brands full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ability to create your own success

Cons

Lean teams can lead to long hours

9. "Caring, conciterate,company that has a plethora of very skilled individuals working for it. -Kerra Linnenkugel Ex assist"

Former Employee - Oral Surgery Assistant in Olympia, WA

I worked at Smile Brands full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are new to learning something just ask. Everyone is so helpful and willing to teach you how to do things. Smile BrandsDefiantly opens your skill sets up.

Cons

This company will challenge you mentally and physically, But that's how you grow and become better.

"Worst company ever"

I have been working at Smile Brands full-time

Pros

Compensation is fairly good if you negotiate it correctly

Cons

This company forces you to do a glass door review. They make sure not to make it an option. The core values and how they treat their employees are completely different. They do not genuinely care about their employees. Worst decision I ever made was working for smile brands.

Smile Brands Response

May 23, 2020Senior VP, Human Resources

The feedback in this post is incorrect and patently false. The company never forces anyone to post a review of any kind. Reviews are voluntary. Likewise, the company consistently demonstrates its care, compassion and concern for all employees and affiliated providers. You indicate that you are a current employee. I would like to connect with you to learn more about your specific employment experience. Please email me at tanisha.wicker@smilebrands.com

Found 1003 reviews