Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews about "mandatory overtime"

Updated 17 Jun 2020

4.4
Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly
1,578 Ratings
Pros
  • "Great benefits with 401k match and annual Profit Sharing(in 226 reviews)

• "Flight benefits, 9% 401k company match, build your own paycheck(in 174 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also you will be the first to get mandatory overtime(in 95 reviews)

• "There is no cons for who works hard(in 61 reviews)

Reviews about "mandatory overtime"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Company with many opportunities!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Oakland, CA

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to move around. Profit sharing. Great 401K match program. Yearly rate increase.

Cons

Union dues depending on position. Mandatory overtime. Quality of leadership.

"Cultish Company Culture, Abusive Practises"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative - Lead
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time

Pros

union, reliable pay, people pay you extra $ to pick up their shifts, OK flight benefits (but rarely time to use them), consistent work

Cons

clique mentality, no protections for employees from social abuses, don't actually care about customer quality of life versus income/revenue, younger (age) employees are treated like garbage, mandatory overtime

"Great company"

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flight benefits, 9% 401k company match, build your own paycheck.

Cons

Hard work, out in the elements, mandatory overtime

4. "“Forced” positive work culture"

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Great people to work with, great benefits and profit sharing, Fly for free

Cons

Time off, SCHEDULE, 24 hour customer service, schedule changes every 3 months and is based on seniority, mandatory overtime, no time in between calls.

5. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Ground Operations

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great company with a heart.

Cons

Mandatory overtime, working in inclement weather.

"Great benefits at a price"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Denver, CO
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free flight benefits from day one; 2 wk paid training in Dallas; great reputation with the flying public; 9.3% 401(k) matching; excellent benefits; company encourages fun and humor

Cons

Ridiculously low pay for first five years (starting pay, first year $14.53/hr for CSAs; $.03 raise on second year). You either have to have a second job or a wealthy spouse &/or retirement fund in order to make ends meet financially. Must join union after hiring on (but very little union representation until you have completed 7 mo probation; and even then it feels like an ongoing struggle between management and union). If you need time off or are sick and you don't have vacation/sick time to draw from (and you won't for approx first six months) it's on you to trade, give away or pay a coworker to take your shift. If you refuse mandatory overtime, you receive "points and occurrences" which can potentially affect your ability for future promotions. For all the "LUV" and hospitality SWA expects you to show the flying public, they could stand to improve on how they treat their employees. Turnover rate is HIGH during the first year.

7. "Great Job!"

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you love to move around, stay busy and love working outdoors then youll love this Job! Also Since I've had this job I've done plenty of traveling something that I have never done since it is ofcourse free! (If within the U.S)

Cons

Apart from your regular schedule you may be asked to stay a few extra hours for mandatory overtime or you may get called in on your day off for mandatory overtime. With more time that you have in the company you'll either see less of that or none at all.

8. "No hard feelings"

4.0
    Former Employee - Reservations in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Trading shifts after you complete probation

Cons

Mandatory overtime at the last minute, the CSL have no idea what goes on on the sales floor.

"Are you a vampire?"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time

Pros

I came to Southwest with so much excitement and so much respect. Finally, a company I could work for that had a reputation for treating it's employees great. When I went in for my interview I let them know my greatest asset was my positive attitude and that I would work very hard for them if hired. Everything leading up to training in Dallas was perfect. They flew us to a People department and overwhelmed us with love, letting us know how fortunate we were to work for such a great company while explaining our benefits. Amidst the glow, individual contracts were set out in front of us, with the base pay and the union who had negotiated it. I couldn't have felt more proud of myself for landing this job. I then returned to the station where I trained for about a month with someone, after which I went to the training headquarters in Dallas for three weeks of paid training. All the moments I spent there were wonderful. There was free coffee everywhere, and they put us up in a nice hotel and gave us food cards. It was heaven, and again I felt lucky and so proud to work for Southwest Airlines. I cannot express how great the Corporate culture is. The benefits you receive, as well as the welcome you get, are the main and only highlights of this job. However, once you return from Dallas, the reality sets in: something is not as it seems. This really is too good to be true.

Cons

A week after I returned from Dallas, I had completed my training and finally began a probationary period of 6 months. During this time you begin your union contract and bid for a shift. Per the contract: Southwest employees cannot decline mandatory overtime, call in sick, or come to work late. If you do, you receive an occurrence. Three occurrences and you are terminated. During this time it became perfectly clear that I was an employee number. Nothing more. 60 hour weeks were commonplace. Imagine: Your shift is Wednesday through Sunday 3pm - 11:30pm. On Wednesday you work your regular shift, but clock out late due to delays: 3pm - 1:30am (10 hours). However, you are assigned mandatory overtime (remember you cannot decline this without being fired) for 2 hours after you get off at 3:45am - 11:45am. You then work from 3pm - 11:30pm the same day. Imagine that this happens 2 times a week, every week. That is the reality of Southwest Airlines. Throughout my probationary period this was VERY common, and again happened at least 2 times a week. The most I had to work was 81 hours in one week, four 16 hour shifts back to back, and then a regular 8 hour shift on one of my days off. It's not the type of work that is the problem, it is the amount of work. Upon asking union leaders and management, their responses were, and I quote VERBATIM: If you don't like it, maybe this job isn't for you. Once completing your probationary period, which is rare as people literally fall asleep on the job and are fired, or break down from the mental stress of staying awake for 2 days straight, you can decline the overtime. Even then, 16 hour days are a common occurrence, as is mandatory overtime. The IAM union contract states that for every refusal of mandatory overtime, you accrue half a point (.5). If you accrue 9 points, you are subject to termination. In the single month after my probation I accrued 5 points by simply declining overtime. Per the contract, it takes 3 months for just 2 points to drop from your record, during which time you cannot be late, call in sick without a doctors note, or decline ANY overtime. As it stands, my weeks are never less than 50 hours. NEVER. This amount of work results in huge employee burnout. I recently spoke with someone at Headquarters in Dallas who said, "Right now we have a high turnover rate for customer service and we are trying to figure out why." I cannot in good conscious recommend this job to anyone that values their sanity.

10. "Customer service"

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Benefits, culture, and one of the best airlines to work for

Cons

Mandatory overtime can be inconvenient! The upside is the double time in pay

Found 95 reviews