Spencer Ogden Reviews

Updated 30 Jul 2020

3.7
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington
Pros
  • "Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly(in 27 reviews)

• "There’s a fun work environment - astroturf floors, ping pong and other things to use during lunch and when you need a break(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues(in 14 reviews)

• "You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition(in 12 reviews)

1. "The BEST job."

Current Employee - 360 Recruiter in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Has an unlimited amount of training, support and fun aspects. Highly accredited management with quality leadership. Structured and achievable incentives. Free trips around the world. Hugely supportive when you need days off to rest. You feel rewarded and celebrated at every achievement. Fun environment with ping-pong tables and diner booths. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

Honestly, after a year here in the Perth Office, I still struggle to find any.

"Great Culture!"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Collaborative, inclusive and friendly culture -Great interview process -Approachable managers -Excellent support and training for new starters

Cons

None that i have come across so far!

June 28, 2018Ops Director

Thank you for your review and I am glad your onboarding with us has been successful to date. Long may that continue.

"Exciting, forward thinking company"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Prior to joining SO, I carried out extensive due diligence and I was very much impressed by what I was reading and what people in the market were telling me. Upon joining the company, I am extremely happy to see that everything I learned was true and it has actually exceeded my expectations. It is refreshing to work in such a positive working environment where consultants are doing well and are happy. It is a fun workplace with a great office environment. Career opportunities are very realistic and hard work is recognised and rewarded well and appropriately. In addition to this, I have not come across a better commission structure in the local market.

Cons

Very much struggling to find things that I don't like!

June 26, 2018Ops Director

Thank you for your review. Great that everything you were told at interview stage has come to fruition. I look forward to your continued success with us as you make the most of what is an exceptional opportunity, especially in Australia right now.

"Spencer Ogden - Up there with the best"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive Leadership Collaborative team environment Growing business Clear path to leadership Great commission structure Rewards & Benefits Employee engagement - opinions are sought, listened to and acted upon Great, bespoke offices Dynamic leadership

Cons

Still growing and learning, opportunity to get things wrong

June 26, 2018Ops Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Great to see your start with us has been fruitful and you are making the most of our L+D teams. I agree there is further work and investment needed into our process and systems using tech as an accelerator for all that we do.

5. "job prospect"

1.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

aggressive culture environment, if you enjoy it

Cons

not good career runway ahead

August 21, 2017Ops Director

Thank you for your short review . I am sorry you were not with us long enough to understand the vast opportunties we offer and that so many others have enjoyed.

"Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working with Spencer Ogden for almost two years. I joined as a consultant in early 2015 and I'm currently on target to be a Team Lead due to my success in this company. They are entrepreneurial and allow you to be yourself and work outside of the box. My ideas have been encouraged and supported and it's lead to my success which in financials will be billing over $700k by the end of 2016. We had a new Country Manager start in August 2015 and he has successfully grown the team after it fell apart. Most consultants are billing every month and we have developed a great list of clients across ANZ. The atmosphere in the office involves great banter mixed with hard work. This company is highly invested in Australia which will lead to further growth of our Perth team and other offices across ANZ in the years ahead. This is an exciting company and if you have what it takes and are highly determined with a passion for sales then get on board and earn some serious commission in the years ahead!

Cons

None come to mind at the moment.

October 19, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for your review and your hard work which is paying off. We are excited about the growth in Australia and the team of talented individuals we have in that region. Exciting times ahead.

"Senior Consultant"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Perth, Western Australia
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team Fun environment Great, flat company structure, open door policy Great comms structure

Cons

Market they operate in is struggling

"Great Start to Recruitment"

Graduate Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Focus on building you up as a recruiter! Good Commission Great Team Atmosphere Clear Career Progression

Cons

Low Base Salary (As expected though with Sales)

October 19, 2016Ops Director

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

We now have a great team that work together to get results. There has been a lot of effort put in in recent months to build a team that has varying levels of experience and personality and the result is strong team . Probably the strongest commission structure I have come across in Perth and as a growing business with a quality reputation globally it made sense to join a business that can leverage of existing agreements/relationships elsewhere and benefit personally from the outcome of work won. The training is good and if you are willing to work hard you will do well. If you want to BD and learn how to sell solutions in the industry join Spencer Ogden.

Cons

KPI driven and you are monitored weekly to ensure your stats remain high which is standard in the industry anyway. I think KPI's stats are useful but are heavily relied on at times. It is a sales driven business so that can be expected.

Continue reading

"Unparalleled career progression, but only for those that understand what a sales role requires!"

4.0

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having worked at Spencer Ogden for many years and through most tiers I feel many of the reviews on Glassdoor take a biased view either negatively or positively. I wanted to write a review that highlighted my experiences of working at Spencer Ogden, outlining my opinion on the Pro's and Con's as well as offering reasoning behind why these may be perceived differently dependent on the writer. A review that hopefully offers a less biased view and therefore a more informative opinion for any perspective Spencer Ogden employee. Firstly the role of Recruitment Consultant at Spencer Ogden, despite level of seniority within the business, is fundamentally no different to any other sales based recruitment firm. Having worked within sales based recruitment prior to joining Spencer Ogden I can safely say that the day to day activity differs little. Something that is yet to be mentioned, and I believe is crucial when adding context to working at Spencer Ogden is the fact it is an investment business, geared up to sell to a private equity group once the desired valuation can be met. This naturally brings both pro’s and con’s, it is no secret and is openly discussed at all levels. The pro’s offered due to this are advanced career progression, significant capital to fund business support functions and systems (I.T, Training, Marketing, Legal, Finance and Compliance), attractive incentives, above standard working environments (in the larger offices) and a share offering for those having served in the business long enough to be offered. A pro worth discussing in more detail would be career progression, as the business grows aggressively to build an attractive, globally functioning investment proposition it is a necessity to fast track the careers of those within the business. Sometimes too fast, but often to the benefit of the recipient regardless of outcome, how many Graduate Consultants in 2010 can say they were Directors in 2014? Your CV is written in your mid 20’s, a rare opportunity I suspect. The incentives are tough to hit, but this is the point, they are in place for the top performers not those that have simply turned up for work. Yes some very good consultants will miss out, but only due to missing the target set for all. Some years 60+ people qualify for hugely expensive round the world incentives, that is 15% (approx.) of the workforce! And lastly there is lots of talk about low salaries, Spencer Ogden supported me building a desk that personally meant I was earning £90,000+ a year in my 20's. Not many jobs offer that.

Cons

So now to the con’s, as the business is essentially a vessel to leverage as much profit from the original investors outgoings it can only be assumed that the long term development of staff is more a vanity exercise for perspective buyers rather than a genuine commitment to staff development. This being said significant investment has been made to develop a training programme to navigate new starters through the first 6 months. The most commented on and negatively perceived con would be that of Spencer Ogden’s “churn and burn” culture, it’s insistence on hiring huge amounts of graduates regardless of the fortunes of the pre-existing lot. Again some perspective can be gained on this if you understand the driving factor behind it, significant growth is required to ensure the business can be packaged up as a global offering, but this growth has to happen in a short time frame to prevent from too much capital being invested through operating a company over a longer than needed period of time. But again without this growth you don’t get the benefits of unparalleled career progression, your choice. I feel it is again the duty of anyone selecting a new employer to research the business structure and the owners’ future aspirations. With this research an informed decision can be made as to whether the prospect of working for a business gearing up for sale is right for them. In all honesty I understood the negatives involved and felt personally that my advanced career progression outweighed this across the board, a decision with the benefit of hindsight I’m relatively happy with. Another criticism that is levelled at senior management would be that of favouritism, this most definitely exists within the business, as I suspect it does in most businesses. But in most cases this favouritism is born out of good performance, I’m not sure I see the issue with being rewarded for working hard and outperforming most of your colleagues, this is exactly how all other performance based roles are incentivised. Bad managers, of course, all businesses have bad managers and some very good ones. Again an outcome of the company’s impressive growth was the fact some managers were incorrectly appointed to roles, this included both internal promotions and external hires. Sourcing and nurturing good managers is an extremely difficult task in any recruitment business, this was amplified by the fact Spencer Ogden had to do this for 15 offices globally within 5 years. Some say there’s a drug culture? It is a young, competitive and dynamic workforce that in a lot of cases earn more money than they actually need. So yes with these variables, drugs are inevitably involved, but it is worth noting this in all my years this hedonism has only occurred outside of work occasionally, in social settings. As a non-drug taker I can say this with no vested interest, the business would not have tolerated drugs inside the working environment and in all honesty are powerless to stop it happening outside of it. Ultimately a con that I think is unfairly levelled at the employer.

Found 307 reviews