Spencer Ogden Employee Reviews about "astroturf"

Updated 21 May 2019

3.6
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington
Pros
  • "Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly(in 27 reviews)

• "There’s a fun work environment - astroturf floors, ping pong and other things to use during lunch and when you need a break(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues(in 14 reviews)

• "You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "astroturf"

Return to all Reviews

"Not for everyone"

2.0
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

- Uncapped commission after you clear a 22.5k threshold that resets every quarter. - Unique office with astroturf. - Flexible time once the probationary period is up.

Cons

- Location is in a congested part of downtown Denver that requires you to either pay a ridiculous fee for parking or ride the metro. - The commission structure isn't clearly defined until you've started. - Unbelievably high turnover, very unlikely that you will have the same team by the time you hit your 6-month mark. - Little to no training. - Micromanagement. - Very focused on KPI's and cares more so about quantity over quality which doesn't translate to success in the recruitment industry. - Recruiters are not transparent about your career progression nor are they transparent about the potential earnings that you REALISTICALLY can make in a year.

May 24, 2019Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and I am sorry you felt you were employed under false pretences. I am sad to hear that you didn't experience the same learning and development as so many others who comment on this as a distinct strength of Spencer Ogden's.

"It’s a fun place to be"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits package - 15+ days vacation plus national holidays plus the last week of the year plus your birthday and more! 100% paid health insurance for employees. Off by 3 and dress down Fridays. Positive work/life balance. There’s a fun work environment - astroturf floors, ping pong and other things to use during lunch and when you need a break.

Cons

Lots of leadership changes recently - from what I hear it used to be pretty crazy. Things are starting to settle and it feels like a good place now to develop - and the managers are learning too.

April 30, 2018Ops Director

"Avoid if you are serious about your career"

1.0

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Good social life. Edgy offices to appeal to younger people with a taxi, AstroTurf and punching bags. Also has a table tennis table

Cons

The company tries to encourage a 'Wolf of Wall Street' vibe, which entails a lad culture and cut throat enviornment. Professionalism is more or less non-existent, particularly amongst management. Working at SO will guarantee a bit of a laugh amongst a very young workforce, but will by no means add any value to your CV or prepare you for legitimate businesses in the real working world.

March 22, 2017Ops Director

Thank you for your review. Whilst I disagree with many of your points we respect everyone's opinion. We most certainly provide more than a 'laugh'. We have numerous staff who have progressed into very senior roles in this business through hard work and professionalism. I am sorry if you felt that sales targets including tracking phone time wasnt conducive to building a recruitment desk- experience tells me the opposite but I agree that quality is paramount. It is not our intention to waste anyones time nor does it serve any commercial purpose. This 'wolf of wall street' vibe you talk about. I am not sure how this vibe can be encouraged and I would be keen to hear more about this. I've seen the film and worked at Spencer Ogden for 8 years, I simply cant see the parallels apart from us hosting a screening of the film years ago as a bit of fun.

"An honest review from a new (ish) employee"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Firstly, nobody has asked me to write this, I've done it to counter some of the negative reviews placed on this site and clearly written by people with a grudge and some of their comments are totally false. This is an extremely vibrant company with a very serious focus on business growth. A fantastic training scheme for entry level consultants and progression plans for everyone in the business, assuming they want progression. It's well documented how fantastic the offices are, and they are! I thought the novelty of AstroTurf, table tennis, table football etc... would wear off after a month, but it doesn't, it really does make a difference and a truly great environment. The IT team are headed by a true specialist and the team are constantly looking for ways to improve the experience. A great bunch of guys and they add great value to the business, often unnoticed. The CEO is a generous bloke and often throws random incentives and treats in for the staff. Yes, this industry is tough and Spencer Ogden is a very aggressive business. If you want to be part of the best, you have to be the best and be prepared to do what others aren't. That's what makes this business so successful and if you don't want to put that sort of effort into your career then this isn't the company for you. But if you are, then you should apply as you'd love it here.

Cons

There's a slight culture of managing by email and that can cause demotivation. Some of the back office functions need improving and can be a real challenge getting basic things done. Having said that, the board are well aware of the companies shortfalls and are working hard to improve them. For a company that's gone from a standing start to £100M turnover, with 15 offices globally, in 6 years, that's pretty impressive and there are bound to be challenges associated with such rapid growth.

May 3, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review. All good points raised especially in relation to managing by email which is an easy trap to fall into. Its refreshing to hear about all the positive things we do here at Spencer Ogden rather than just the things we need to work on (which we are well aware of as a business). Keep being positive and spreading the word internally and externally. “We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.” – Anais Nin

"Houston Office"

in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden

Pros

To a new wide-eye graduate this opportunity seems amazing. The moment you get into the office you will be astounded by the astroturf and TVs. Overall, there is a good opportunity to make money...if you are put on the right team. Some people are just handed deals. They work under someone who has a lot of business and rise to the top of the leaderboard. If you are not lucky enough to be hired into that spot, you will severely suffer. Training and Recruitment teams are get. They can get you in the door and try to prepare you for what you will encounter..

Cons

Management is a huge issue, kind of a joke really. The director of the office left to start a new office leaving a very shaky management staff. I don't even know what one manager does the majority of the time. People who are suppose to be in charge are suppose to set an example, not just leave 4 hours early or be watching youtube videos at their desk. I agree with another commenter about an "old boys club" people are handed things and not actually held accountable, leaving other employees to take the blame of not performing when they are actually trying to do their jobs. To be honest...I don't even know how some people have their jobs still. It is a clear indicator of being friends with the right people gets you places here. Upper management turns a blind eye to it. But if you can make it work go right ahead because people have been severely compensated for being on the right teams.

Continue reading

"Don't be afraid of hard work and the rewards will come!"

Senior Member of Operations in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden

Pros

I have been in the recruitment industry for 10+ years and I have neither seen or heard of such opportunities in a recruitment organisation like the ones here! Lets start at the top: 1) Pretty damn cool office space to work in! If you like sitting in boring cubicles or white walled, grey carpeted, dull office spaces then what is wrong with you?!? Working at Spencer Ogden can only be compared to working for a real ".com" organisation when it comes to your surroundings. Large open spaces, Green AstroTurf, A taxi for a meeting room in London, amazing meeting rooms in other office locations, & collaborative work spaces. But it is not just pretty surroundings that makes a great place to work... 2) Culture There is a very work hard, play hard culture at Spencer Ogden. And guess what, that is a good thing! Being surrounded by focused and successful people is a good thing to be part of. It is what makes you wake up in the morning energised to come to work. Culture + great work space is a great start, but there is more... 3) The greatest technology within recruitment at your fingertips! To be a successful recruitment consultant means having the ability to find the right candidate faster than your competition. Spencer Ogden do not shy away from investing in the technology to help you do that! All the systems are cloud based. You have leading CRM and Analytical tools to hand. Using email is simple as it is on the GMail platform. And all this sits behind a system where you only need to remember a single password! But good systems are only as good as their users... 4) World class training! Spencer Ogden invests heavily in training their staff. Whether you are a grad fresh into the industry or an old hand at recruitment, you will receive a high standard of training that will help you master your skills on the systems and on the phones! The 2 week intensive academy will train you to be a focused & confident on entering the market. But it doesn't stop there, you will be continually trained through your career. Even the senior managers receive regular training to ensure the standards stay high! But the training will only enable you to be successful... 5) The rewards of success! Spencer Ogden reward the successful people very well! Whether it is big commission cheques, incentive trips or even being enrolled into the share scheme, Spencer Ogden ensure you are well compensated for your hard work! Some of the largest commission cheques I have ever seen in my 10+ years in the industry are here! Conclusion: There are lots of negative comments on Glass Door that are not exactly true. The people that can't cut it in a fast moving, demanding role, are the 1st to blame Spencer Ogden for their failures! I would take these comments with a huge caveat that the person writing them, are probably looking to blame someone else for their short falls! Read and understand the positive reviews on here rather than the negative ones. You'll learn more about what Spencer Ogden truly is!

Cons

With any company growing as fast as Spencer Ogden... there are going to be some mistakes made along the way. But here's the good news, they learn from it and improve every day!

January 28, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for your review and its great to see our refinement of the already amazing culture is filtering through.

"Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Hong Kong

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Great office, nice pantry, great tools and facilities. Love the astroturf. Colleagues are very supportive and fun. People are willing to share contacts and leads to help each other out. Very little competition as everyone is working on a different area. Healthy competition within the office. Many different fun incentives to motivate you to achieve targets. People get off work pretty on time compare to other companies in Hong Kong.

Cons

It's not an easy job. It takes patience and time for a fruitful result. However when a placement is made, the reward will definitely pay off.

"Mixed Bag"

4.0
    Recruitment Consultant in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Exiting office environment, nothing quite like it - Astroturf carpets, basket balls, scooters, footballs as well as top interior design. In a job where you spend most of your time walking around on a headset it helps to keep things going and energy high. Good commission Scheme. Great billing incentives - personally went on a trip to Ibiza on the company's expense for hitting targets (reasonable targets) in a 3 month period.

Cons

As with all Rec Companies, cut throat environment. If you weren't one of the 'in group' you could feel quite isolated. Sometimes the 'work banter' got a little cutting and young management were sometimes some of the worst. Poor performance was handled publicly and in a nonconstructive way. Long Hours Good commission scheme and incentives - terrible base.

Continue reading

"Obsessed with KPIs and awful Lad culture"

1.0
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a young employee, the astroturf and the toys they give you in the office are a nice touch - you have bluetooth headsets, so being able to walk around and make a cuppa or sit in a quieter place away from louder team mates was a definitely plus.

Cons

The culture. Where do I start? While they praise success, they highlight failure and think that, in doing so, it's motivating people to just "do better". At the end of each month, the CEO got everyone together and had a list of names of people who had billed £0 and a load of crispy creme doughnuts. The doughnuts represented the £0 you billed... The CEO, after reminding us that this was his favourite day of the month, then played a song called "I'm a Loser" and read out all the names of the people who hadn't billed, who would then have to go up and collect and eat a doughnut in front of the entire, cajoling company. Also, KPIs - stop making people perform to a strict number and threatening to fire them every two minutes. All that happens is you lose the people who want to take time and do good quality work and keep the phone monkeys who are calling up dead numbers and leaving voicemails on random phones just to get call times any way. Complete waste of time and talent and it's completely demotivating. I was a competing member of a sports team and often had to leave on time to attend training. This meant I'd normally miss out on Friday drinks/drinks in general too. The culture there was that I was a loser for having hobbies outside of work and that I was pathetic for not wanting to drink or go out with everyone.

October 22, 2015Ops Director

Thank you for your review. Sales is meritocratic I'm afraid and that will never change. Most people see this as a distinct positive. As for the business highlighting 'failure' you are referring to something that hasn't happened in this business for over 2 years (the doughnuts). This was simply a bit of fun that we did from inception (when there was 13 of us all trying to build this business) at Spence Ogden and once we had feedback that people no longer liked it we stopped. For the most part people saw the humour in it and saw it as a bit of lighthearted fun inc our CEO who has a great sense of fun. We are always highlighting success- 1st deals, over 25k months, largest commission chqs, the list goes on. I don't know of many businesses that have their CEO stand up monthly to personally congratulate successes and evaluate the month whilst communicating strategy to the floor. With reference to long working hours, yes at times this is the case but the rewards are more than worth it for those willing to go the extra mile and work the extra hours. We have created an environment we hope people are happy to stay a bit longer when needed- fully kitted kitchens, TV's, table tennis etc. There is most certainly no expectation that people work longer hours than they want to and having a life outside of work is encouraged- proven by our annual leave policy and ability to earn more holiday or carry holiday over rather than losing it. We take any claims of sexual harassment very seriously and there is a defined policy internally to this regard. A sales environment isn't for everyone and yes at times there can be banter thrown around which is somewhat out of our control. We are very clear on what behavior is and isn't acceptable and any complaints would be treated very seriously indeed.

"Will Not Recommend"

2.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Work Environment: Excellent infrastructure. Wireless headsets (free to roam around while talking on the phone), astroturf flooring and spacious work area are definitely well liked! 2) Work mates are great to be around too. If you are working, might as well be with people you like! 3) Graduate Academy: I hear the Graduate Academy, where they teach you the ins- and-outs of recruitment, which runs for the first 2 weeks upon joining Spencer Ogden is well structured, and prepares the consultant well for a Sales job.

Cons

1) Unachievable Targets: There are some unreasonable / unrealistic sales targets that is set without discussion with the consultant. The number is just given to us and told to achieve it without consultants realising how these numbers are formulated. Managers need to have a realistic expectations of the consultants and not treat them as mere numbers. 2) Horrible Management: The management are supportive only if you are one of the top billers in the company. Otherwise, there tends to be a blame culture, and you will be targeted and faulted if you are not billing over the top. Rather than support, management opts to isolate and increase pressure on the consultant. On the contrary, for the good performers, management wants to take the credit for the hard work and success of the consultant. This shows their inexperience as some of the managers have no prior experience in a managerial capacity, and are promoted, only, due to relationships with senior / upper management. 3) Restrictive / Inflexible Environment: Despite the 'cool' office environment, and flamboyant portrayal of the company, and working culture, I feel this is all a sham. The office boasts a Table Tennis table and a Fussball table amongst other games, but we were explicitly told not to play during, and immediately after office hours. What would be the point of having advertised such facilities if we are unable to utilise it? 4) Training & Development: Non existent personal development opportunities available. Although my manager and the trainer were always keen to hear our thoughts on areas of development, this was rarely / never implemented, and I felt it was more for the sake of inclusion that I was asked. 5) Career Progression: The career progression is ambiguous. To progress to a Team Lead, targets would be set according to what your manager thinks you should achieve, rather than a specific objective. It also highly depends on your relationships with senior / upper management rather than credentials and meritocracy. 6) Client Engagement: We are encouraged to call anyone and everyone in the industry. This has caused quite a stir with some clients who have had multiple consultants from Spencer Ogden ringing them daily. Relationships don't matter a whole lot, and that is why clients have started blacklisting services from Spencer Ogden. This is not taken too seriously, and I believe this is a huge problem the company is facing. OVERALL: Do not be fooled by the sales pitch of the managers and the 'vibrant' office. It won't be too long before you realise the truth behind the façade.

Found 13 reviews