Spencer Ogden Employee Reviews about "hard work"

Updated 14 Jan 2020

3.6
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington
Pros
  • "Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly(in 27 reviews)

• "There’s a fun work environment - astroturf floors, ping pong and other things to use during lunch and when you need a break(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues(in 14 reviews)

• "You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "hard work"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working with Spencer Ogden for almost two years. I joined as a consultant in early 2015 and I'm currently on target to be a Team Lead due to my success in this company. They are entrepreneurial and allow you to be yourself and work outside of the box. My ideas have been encouraged and supported and it's lead to my success which in financials will be billing over $700k by the end of 2016. We had a new Country Manager start in August 2015 and he has successfully grown the team after it fell apart. Most consultants are billing every month and we have developed a great list of clients across ANZ. The atmosphere in the office involves great banter mixed with hard work. This company is highly invested in Australia which will lead to further growth of our Perth team and other offices across ANZ in the years ahead. This is an exciting company and if you have what it takes and are highly determined with a passion for sales then get on board and earn some serious commission in the years ahead!

Cons

None come to mind at the moment.

October 19, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for your review and your hard work which is paying off. We are excited about the growth in Australia and the team of talented individuals we have in that region. Exciting times ahead.

"Amazing"

in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Great company that'll develop your business acumen, sales, soft skills and of course your sales skills. World-class training programmes provided by people who were recruiters themselves before moving into training positions. Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly. While your experience will differ greatly from one team to another, in general the culture is the same, work hard and play harder. If you're looking to make money at one of the best recruitment companies in the world then Spencer Ogden is the place. Before you do that, make sure hou have the right attitude in terms hard work, willingness to listen, tenacity and thick skin will be a good start. Everything is also incentivised from Rolex watches to 5 star trips to exotic destinations. The fact that most successful people at the company were once graduates from Spencer Ogden, shows what kind of company this is. Believing in the values of the company will also make your experience much more fun.

Cons

As mentioned above, your experience will be different depending on which team you join, make sure you do your research and don't be afraid to ask difficult questions, this will be appreciated! People at Principle level and especially Team Leaders will be stretched between hitting their budgets while ensuring their teams also do that, this could potentially have a negative affect on these people, but that's part of the reason why it's fun

January 28, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your detailed review. Really great to see a balanced review on here. Couldn't agree more around best practice and discipline around process which sets apart those who are successful here and those who are not.

3. "Excel at what they do"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Young, fun and hard-working culture

Cons

Little collaboration across the floor

January 6, 2020Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review.

"Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Spencer Ogden is an awesome place to work. Having worked at more than one recruitment agency in the past, I'm able to compare it with multiple other environments. Spencer Ogden is definitely a people business vs. a numbers business. I've had times at the company where I've had challenging months or quarters and I always felt supported and as if the company had my back and would work with me to get back on track. I have always wanted to take on feedback and adapt my approaches, and the response to this attitude within the business has always been incredible. I've been fortunate enough to be presented with some many different opportunities and market focuses at Spencer Ogden. We also have a program which supports you relocating to one of our many offices worldwide (if you hit your targets), which I have taken full advantage of! Our Learning and Development team are best in class, when I first started recruiting at a different agency, I had no support, no training and no structure. This is so common for most of my other friends in the sector. Spencer Ogden invest weeks in training graduates and new starters, we have some of the best trainers in the business. We also have regular temperature checks and call coaching from our trainers as you progress through the business. Even the leadership team gets regular training - we always want to keep improving! Spencer Ogden New York is one of SO's most promising offices, its going from strength to strength and is one of our top performing office across the Americas. We are getting repeat business from huge clients and are truly going from strength to strength.

Cons

It's one of those jobs where you get out what you put in. You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition. But this is the same with any recruitment agency.

September 20, 2018Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and comparisons to other staff/recruitment firms out there. We work hard to offer something different to our staff and a real development opportunity. Whilst number are important we are nothing without our People who are at the centre of everything we do and stand for. Our investment in learning and development is unparalleled and I am glad to see that coming through in numerous reviews across the platform.

"Senior Consultant"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senor Consulstant in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great introduction to the sales environment and hard work ethic.

Cons

Shay payment schemes. Shay management most from the UK.

October 3, 2018Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review. We believe our commission scheme to be wholly transparent and rewarding of the behaviours and skills we are looking for from our team. I am sorry this wasn't your experience and with it being new there are always teething issues and lessons to be learned. Thank you for taking the time to write the review. All feedback taken on board.

"Consultant"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Having worked at other agencies in the industry I can say with full confidence that Spencer Ogden is a truly special and unique place to work. Positivity is promoted and wins are celebrated - there is a hard working culture of success driven, like minded people who enjoy the fruits of their intense labor. There is a real feeling of leading from the front with support from management given you a real sense of togetherness rather than working for them, as can be the case in this industry.

Cons

I can not see any real downsides to the company, there is a fair and cohesive environment producing consistent success which employees see in their paychecks and incentives.

June 13, 2018Ops Director

Thank you for your review and really pleasing to see a review with some context in terms of Spencer Ogden in comparison to similar company's. We work hard to ensure a positive and collaborative environment that is win win for all involved. I hope your career and journey here continues to be fruitful.

"An excellent opportunity for those who are hardworking and flexible"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Following reading some of the more recent, nonconstructive reviews that have been posted, I feel slightly personally compelled, as a current, non-management, employee of SO to post a new review having been with the business a year, but in the recruitment industry for 7. A career with SO is not for the faint of heart, and I mean that in the best possible way. SO is a business that is relatively young in it's history, and thus is growing and changing all the time. These changes are exciting both from an individual and corporate perspective. They of course, like all change, can be scary or challenging, but for those willing to take on the challenge, SO is a great place to work, learn and develop your personal skills and ultimately be rewarded. Don't get me wrong, there have been times where lots of changes at once have caused me concern, but the business knows where we're headed, and isn't afraid to answer questions. Like all jobs working for SO is reciprocal, SO has been there for me when I needed help/guidance/leadership, but expects my hard work in return, which I do gladly, as if we all pull in the same direction, this company will continue to achieve great things. You really do, in many different ways, not just financial, get back what you put in here.

Cons

If you expect every day to be the same. If you expect to have things handed to you on a plate and not put in autonomous work on your own career as well as utilizing internal support. If you expect to be able to coast along, then maybe SO isn't for you. But really, in my experience, if you expect those things then recruitment/staffing probably isn't for you either.

February 12, 2018Ops Director

What a great and well rounded/balanced review. Thank you.

"Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent atmosphere, hard working employees, supportive management team and has brilliant motivators to push you to work your best.

Cons

Almost no downsides to working here

January 8, 2018Ops Director

Thank you for your feedback and I hope your positive experience continues

"Fantastic company to work for"

Former Employee - Operations in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Having worked with Spencer Ogden for almost 5 years, I can honestly say that I had a fantastic experience based on a wide range of factors: - The offices are like no other. Having worked in my role, I know the time and effort that goes on behind the scenes to make them what they are for the staff. - The opportunities that can be offered to you if you’re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing. - The activities and events that I was able to partake in made work so much more fun and exciting; fancy-dress days, BBQs, charity events, bake days – pretty much anything you could suggest, SO were willing to give it a go and give everyone a fun day. - The people – whilst you’re not going to get on with everyone, the thing that stood out the most for me was the people. - The training schemes and incentives for sales staff are fantastic - everyone should try to make the most of those. Put time and effort into your work, and you will reap so many benefits –not just financially.

Cons

The turnover of staff was a bit of an eye-opener for me, but in a Sales company, that has to be standard. With any job nowadays, if you aren’t putting the time and effort in, you won’t last!

September 29, 2017Ops Director

Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope your career is flourishing. Noted re incentives for Operational support which we now have.

10. "Senior Lead"

Current Employee - Senior Lead in Denver, CO

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

From a cultural perspective, our office is 5 star. We have a collaborative and synergistic group of hard working individuals with a common goal of success. While changes tend to move slowly since we are a large, global organization, the executive team does take heed in employees' suggestions. There are a lot of recruitment agencies that hire recent grads in large classes and put them through a boot-camp type training and expect essentially only the strong to survive. Spencer-Ogden has done this in the past but recognizes that this isn't the most effective way to hire and rather identifies qualified individuals through a diligent internal recruitment process. In this way, SO identifies talent that has the resilience to work in this industry. Recruitment is not an easy industry and will always be competitive. Not everyone is suited for the ups & downs that this job can bring so to be successful here, you have to have the right attitude and a thick skin. Which brings me to my final pro-point and that is if you have the right attitude and determination, there are the management mechanisms in place to help you to get where you want to go in your career. Regardless of your level, from entry up to management, Spencer-Ogden is a great place to grow your career.

Cons

Spencer-Ogden is a UK based firm so there are some cultural shifts someone who is used to working for American owned companies. Certainly not a "con", but can be an adjustment for those not expecting it. Getting new processes in place can take a long time as we are still relatively start-up in the US and a global company with the Executive team sitting in London. I've worked at a couple different agencies in the past and I have to say that SO is not the highest paying by a long shot. The commission structure has been under review for at least 6 months and while in need of a major revamp and in recognizing this can take time, it needs to be updated and soon.

June 14, 2017Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review in which you make some excellent points.

Found 37 reviews