Spencer Ogden Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 8 Mar 2019

3.6
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington
Pros
  • "Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly(in 27 reviews)

• "There’s a fun work environment - astroturf floors, ping pong and other things to use during lunch and when you need a break(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues(in 14 reviews)

• "You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"Unparalleled career progression, but only for those that understand what a sales role requires!"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having worked at Spencer Ogden for many years and through most tiers I feel many of the reviews on Glassdoor take a biased view either negatively or positively. I wanted to write a review that highlighted my experiences of working at Spencer Ogden, outlining my opinion on the Pro's and Con's as well as offering reasoning behind why these may be perceived differently dependent on the writer. A review that hopefully offers a less biased view and therefore a more informative opinion for any perspective Spencer Ogden employee. Firstly the role of Recruitment Consultant at Spencer Ogden, despite level of seniority within the business, is fundamentally no different to any other sales based recruitment firm. Having worked within sales based recruitment prior to joining Spencer Ogden I can safely say that the day to day activity differs little. Something that is yet to be mentioned, and I believe is crucial when adding context to working at Spencer Ogden is the fact it is an investment business, geared up to sell to a private equity group once the desired valuation can be met. This naturally brings both pro’s and con’s, it is no secret and is openly discussed at all levels. The pro’s offered due to this are advanced career progression, significant capital to fund business support functions and systems (I.T, Training, Marketing, Legal, Finance and Compliance), attractive incentives, above standard working environments (in the larger offices) and a share offering for those having served in the business long enough to be offered. A pro worth discussing in more detail would be career progression, as the business grows aggressively to build an attractive, globally functioning investment proposition it is a necessity to fast track the careers of those within the business. Sometimes too fast, but often to the benefit of the recipient regardless of outcome, how many Graduate Consultants in 2010 can say they were Directors in 2014? Your CV is written in your mid 20’s, a rare opportunity I suspect. The incentives are tough to hit, but this is the point, they are in place for the top performers not those that have simply turned up for work. Yes some very good consultants will miss out, but only due to missing the target set for all. Some years 60+ people qualify for hugely expensive round the world incentives, that is 15% (approx.) of the workforce! And lastly there is lots of talk about low salaries, Spencer Ogden supported me building a desk that personally meant I was earning £90,000+ a year in my 20's. Not many jobs offer that.

Cons

So now to the con’s, as the business is essentially a vessel to leverage as much profit from the original investors outgoings it can only be assumed that the long term development of staff is more a vanity exercise for perspective buyers rather than a genuine commitment to staff development. This being said significant investment has been made to develop a training programme to navigate new starters through the first 6 months. The most commented on and negatively perceived con would be that of Spencer Ogden’s “churn and burn” culture, it’s insistence on hiring huge amounts of graduates regardless of the fortunes of the pre-existing lot. Again some perspective can be gained on this if you understand the driving factor behind it, significant growth is required to ensure the business can be packaged up as a global offering, but this growth has to happen in a short time frame to prevent from too much capital being invested through operating a company over a longer than needed period of time. But again without this growth you don’t get the benefits of unparalleled career progression, your choice. I feel it is again the duty of anyone selecting a new employer to research the business structure and the owners’ future aspirations. With this research an informed decision can be made as to whether the prospect of working for a business gearing up for sale is right for them. In all honesty I understood the negatives involved and felt personally that my advanced career progression outweighed this across the board, a decision with the benefit of hindsight I’m relatively happy with. Another criticism that is levelled at senior management would be that of favouritism, this most definitely exists within the business, as I suspect it does in most businesses. But in most cases this favouritism is born out of good performance, I’m not sure I see the issue with being rewarded for working hard and outperforming most of your colleagues, this is exactly how all other performance based roles are incentivised. Bad managers, of course, all businesses have bad managers and some very good ones. Again an outcome of the company’s impressive growth was the fact some managers were incorrectly appointed to roles, this included both internal promotions and external hires. Sourcing and nurturing good managers is an extremely difficult task in any recruitment business, this was amplified by the fact Spencer Ogden had to do this for 15 offices globally within 5 years. Some say there’s a drug culture? It is a young, competitive and dynamic workforce that in a lot of cases earn more money than they actually need. So yes with these variables, drugs are inevitably involved, but it is worth noting this in all my years this hedonism has only occurred outside of work occasionally, in social settings. As a non-drug taker I can say this with no vested interest, the business would not have tolerated drugs inside the working environment and in all honesty are powerless to stop it happening outside of it. Ultimately a con that I think is unfairly levelled at the employer.

Continue reading

"Good firm to start at as a junior...after that I'm not too sure."

Former Employee - Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Solid training as a junior. If you work hard you'll build a strong foundation. - The initial emphasis on KPI's helps you reach a certain level of productivity very quickly... - Sink or swim type culture. If you thrive under pressure you will do well and build a certain level of resilience to benefit you wherever you go. On the flip side, if you don't suit this type of culture I doubt you'll stay long if the going gets tough. - The office is good fun, comes with good banter and social life. - Work life balance pretty good. Perfectly acceptable to arrive and leave as contracted to. - Finish at 3pm on Fridays.

Cons

- After a while, the obsession of hitting somewhat meaningless KPIs from senior management causes productivity to suffer. It does the complete opposite of what is intended. Most people end up making them up just to avoid any stick. I've since moved on to a firm that have no focus on KPIs and I’m now able to focus on what will actually benefit my desk and career, and it has very quickly. - I’ve never known Micro Management quite like it. - Phone times e-mailed out twice a day. There’s more to recruitment then feeling like you have to prolong phone calls so you don’t get called out infront of the whole office. - Everyone has a dedicated lunch break between 1-2pm. Feels like you're in secondary school. - Hit and miss with senior management. Some are great, but others members of are questionable. Can be very two faced and think it goes unnoticed....I can assure you this isn't the case. - Base salaries are embarrassingly low. - Out of a floor of 60-odd people, I reckon there were maybe two or three people max I could still learn from. Personally I’d want to be able to look up to characteristics from all of my peers. In summary, I'd recommend Spencer Ogden to any graduate getting into recruitment. Once you've been there for a year, unless you're absolutely loving it, start having a think about transitioning out. You'll possess the tools to join most firms out there, and I can assure you there is a lot better if you want to be in recruitment for the long term. It can be a fun and rewarding career at the right company.

March 11, 2019Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your balanced review. I'd like to think we have a balance when it comes to our approach to KPIs and mgmt. We pride ourselves during our high performing leaders programme in encouraging our managers to approach each staff member with an individual approach to managing. Flexibility with a framework is key and I am sorry you didn't feel liked you experienced that with us as so many others do. For those who are demonstrating the core values and key behaviours and hitting metrics a flexible approach is adopted. I am sorry we wernt the business for you and wish you all the best

3. "Happy to be here"

Current Employee - Support Team in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture! It is very progressive and challenges you to work smarter and be creative and rewards you for it.

Cons

When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues. Thats a breath of fresh air for those who are familiar with how the back office/support usually just have to deal and carry on.

March 11, 2019Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and I am glad you are enjoying the culture at SO

"Get it together"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

off at 3:00 on Fridays

Cons

Some of the positive reviews are written by senior management who are directed to do so Managers will not listen to your concerns and they do not care about your success do not pay for parking huge wage gap between management and recruiters/operations all of the mangers are extremely arrogant and don't seem to want to learn how to better themselves or the company

June 13, 2018Ops Director

Thank you for your review ,all feedback is welcomed and encouraged. I can assure that our positive reviews are just that, just as our reviews that identify areas for which we can improve are sincere. No one is 'directed' to write reviews.Everyone has differing opinions of which we value ALL Thank you for your feedback regarding our management team, we are continually working to develop our leadership team. I am sorry that this wasn't your experience. We wish you all the best

"**AVOID AT ALL COSTS**- ZERO STARS"

Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are no benefits that I saw

Cons

-Terrible terrible company with zero respect for staff -Positive reviews below come from SO management -Zero respect from industry/clients- seen as the cowboy agency of the O&G industry -SO will at some point be sold- so all those senior management 'lads' have it coming -Oh SO, Ohhhh SO oh s s o SO, what we going to do SO.

February 5, 2018Ops Director

Thank you for your 'review'. Our managers here shape the culture of their teams. As a manager here for 5 years perhaps there is an indication there as to why you are no longer here. It also must have been terrible to work for a company for 5 years and have nothing good to say about it. One would question why you stayed for so long. I am all for this portal and forum to produce constructive reviews but this doesn't seem like that to me.

"Worst Recruitment Agency to work for."

Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden

Pros

At first you will be wowed by the smart looking offices, you will then start to resent the fact you can never hear what your clients are saying on the phone or even what you are thinking. You will start to realize that the stylish designs of the offices are nothing but a cover up for what is essentially a terrible company. Company incentives and competitions are very good, however it does seem to depend on which team you are on to the quality and frequency of these. The dedicated training team are very good and really helpful.

Cons

The Senior Management is terrible in the most part, full of people who were either in the right place at the right time or who are friends with the right people. If these people were so good at being recruiters why in crunch times do you not get them back on the phones? Rather than have them stomping around the offices spurting useless tit-bits of information and pushing phone times and KPI's down your throat. Back office and accounts department are useless, the company puts in the awkward policies that may work in their overseas offices but ate mute here in North America and just cause recruitment consultants issues and make us look amateur to our clients. The treatment I witnessed of some fantastic recruiters when they were having a bad week/ month with a client drop out or candidate rejection was just awful. The behind closed door conversations and the back stabbing at this company was the worst I have seen at any company. Base salaries and commission schemes in North America are low/ average.

May 3, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I am sorry the experience you had at SO was so different to the vast majority of staff who have worked in our very successful American offices. We have spent a lot of time engaging with staff to develop quite a unique culture with a real family feel. I am sorry if you didn't get to experience that. We have some of the company's top performers and indeed top managers working in the USA who I can assure you have paid their dues, having worked in a real start up culture which is tough to say the least. I can see why these individuals may now have been perceived to have been in the right place a the right time. They took huge risks to join a start up business and have worked tirelessly to get to where they are today. Its a shame that this isn't recognised by all (envy perhaps) We will take your points on-board and work to improve and evolve whilst remaining successful as we always do!

"Making big improvements!"

in London, England

I have been working at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Having worked for Spencer Ogden in the UK for a number of years, the biggest pro I have to highlight is the amount it has hugely improved and developed as a business. Over the last 18 months, Spencer Ogden have become a more professional, corporate organisation. Some of my peers who started at a similar time or before me saw this as a negative as it has lost it's family feel but for me, this has offered amazing career opportunities and has allowed me to obtain skills and knowledge as well as progress quickly within my career. Spencer Ogden have really focused on attempting to improve the work/life balance of their staff. SO have acknowledged Ops and Finance staff are not in sales roles and have reduced their working hours in line with this which was really well received. They have also increased the number of holidays given to employees who stay with the business after a few years allowing you to earn way above the average number of days holiday compared to a lot of other business (both sales and non-sales!).

Cons

Up until 2015, Spencer Ogden were very much a victim of their own success. SO had grown very quickly and a number of high billing consultants were promoted to management without much training or awareness of what was needed to lead within a growing business. Over 2015 this changed and a proper training programme for sales managers was developed and the improvements are already visible. Spencer Ogden in it's younger days did really well at having women within senior management positions, however this has hugely shifted with only one female member of the board of directors now. Spencer Ogden are great at bringing women in at junior levels but not so strong at holding onto and training them up to be senior managers.

January 19, 2016Ops Director

Thank you for the candid review. We are glad that some of the changes and refinement we have made it starting to have an impact on what is an amazing group of people and business. Being that one woman on the board I can assure you this is a focus (diversity generally) for the business!

"Don't ruin your recruitment career"

Contract Consultant in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden for less than a year

Pros

Great offices Many office locations for international travel Cool office parties Big name in the recruitment industry (possibly for the wrong reasons)

Cons

Horrendous senior management Trains you to be an annoying (bad) recruiter No research or real 'expertise' in any market. You either sink or swim. Expectation to work longer than contracted hours. Irritating and unnecessary pressure to hit KPIs

Continue reading

"Successful company but at what cost.."

Former Employee - Employee in London, England

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time for more than a year

Pros

When you first start, the offices are cool... this last a few days before you realise that it's all a front to compensate for the absurd amount of your life you need to give up to meet the companies expectations. They used to have some good clients but with every single consultant cold calling every company, it's almost impossible to keep hold of any of them. The training programme is supposed to be a big selling point but it's really very poor and just teaches 'sales' rather than 'recruitment', the graduates actually come out with very little ability to actually deliver on the jobs they win. Pros - You'll get to meet lots of new people.. probably a couple a week based on my experience.

Cons

The culture is not good, a lot of the senior management seem to think they are big shots in wall street when in reality they are all fairly inexperienced managers who manage purely by KPI's and have no real ability, experience or training behind them. There is zero training and development from Team Leader upwards, probably because they don't have the skills in house to actually train anyone beyond 'trainee consultant' level. This is very evident from the 'one size fits' all management style - such as insisting on a power hour across the floor, at the same time, despite the fact you may be in the middle of something else or already have a strong client base. It's a childlike mentality which has spawned from one dimensional leaders who are still recruiting like it's 1999. No-one will dare to have a difference opinion, cos that's the way DSP wants it done so that's how it's done.. The company are hugely un-organised and this has really effected their ability to service their clients. From graduates cold calling their biggest clients to people hiding the fact that a deal is contract rather than perm just to keep it in their team. Integrity and ethics are not high on the priority list here, screwing over your colleagues is just part of the job.

May 22, 2015Marketing Executive

Thank you for taking the time to review SO. Following the success of the Graduate Academy, we have focused on the training and development for more senior members of staff and we have completely revolutionised this process. A new course is currently being rolled out for emerging leaders which will focus on developing those at Team Leader level and above. We also no longer run a daily Power Hour following feedback from consultants.

"Awful Place"

I worked at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Office looks ok for the first few weeks

Cons

Terrible work/life balance. Very few career opportunities. Senior management are terrible people If you want a good career in recruitment then there are much better agencies to work for

Found 14 reviews