Spiceworks Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.8
Spiceworks Co-Founder & CEO Jay Hallberg
Jay Hallberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • When going through the interview process a lot of promises were made around the company culture, the autonomous nature of the role etc (in 15 reviews)

• Allows for good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains as the company looks to move forward (in 10 reviews)

• Terrible benefits (no 401k matching only 2 weeks vacation time) (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good overall"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People - Willing to help. Nice. Hard working. Welcoming
    Flexible Work Schedule - Start & End Times
    WFH - As long as you don’t abuse it. Remote work for some positions.
    Food - Snacks, Beer Fridge Friday’s, Breakfast 2x/week, Catered Lunch from time to time
    Did I mention the people?

Cons

- Vision, Mission, Charter and lack of communication of
    - Spiceworks attempts to do too many things
    - Lack of process & formalized products in certain areas
    - Unsure if there is training for Mgmt on how to be effective leaders, if not there should be. Even quality people need support & coaching on becoming great leaders.
    - I didn’t see any employee development but did see some departments get to explore new tech. Don’t think that equates to the same thing though
    - Personal growth is hit or miss.
    - EMEA and other remote reps are poorly supported
    - Lacking cross departmental communication

Advice to Management

Doing fewer things better is key. I believe Spiceworks was disruptive early on which lead to the creation of their great community. I feel it veered away a bit. Your distinguishing asset is Your IT Pro community.

To quote Richard Branson,
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to.

Lastly I believe you are beginning to address some of the cons I listed. But I will underscore that it’s important that everyone has a role & understands their role at Spiceworks and what they are contributing to. Give your employees purpose. Provide them the proper support.

2. "laid back place to work, some very jr folks"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, people are mostly eager to get things done

Cons

As with many places, a lot o attempts to make sure nobody gets offended or feelings hurt sometimes gets in the way of just getting work done. Also some people are very junior and inexperienced and stress every time any project go smoothly.

Advice to Management

Be a little tougher on people, help them grow faster.

3. "Great Company that rewards hard work"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture, encourages success and rewards you well when you hit targets.

Cons

UK office and US office sometimes isolated and more communication is sometimes needed.

Advice to Management

More comms between HQ, London and remote offices.

"Keeping it Spicy"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spiceworks is a fantastic place to work. It gave me the opportunity make my first 6 figure earnings of my career. It has a great work/life balance, sales management is very understanding of the needs of parents. I've met some of my closest friends in Austin at Spiceworks. Spiceworks, although not perfect, truly strives to maintain the culture it started with and that starts with hiring great people to be around. Even though I'm no longer with the team, I still feel like family and rooting for their success.

Cons

From a sales perspective, it can be tough at times. Especially if you rely on a core group of accounts to get you to goal and they don't meet the expected spend. It turns into an uphill battle from there. The products have some room for revamping.

Advice to Management

Keep working to stay ahead of the curve from a product standpoint. Sales leaders, although reps jobs are to hit goal, find time to occasionally put your finger on the pulse of the team to see how they're doing and feeling. It's a great way to stay in tune with the team and avoid the cancerous employees that spread negativity on the floor.

"Spiceworks"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This place used to be amazing. There are no shortage of good smart people to work with each day.

Cons

The last year and a half has been done with super limited resources that make it hard for you to get your job done and then done well. Teams are constantly under staffed. The company has also changed to a sales org over the last year drastically, losing the relationship with its users which originally made it successful and special.

"Thankful for my time here!"

Current Employee - Senior Client Success Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Client Success Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spiceworks moved into a new building about two years ago and it's really nice - very modern and kept clean. There's free snacks, coffee, sparkling water, soda...the snacks even change out from time to time. People there are (generally) friendly and I've really enjoyed working with most of my co-workers. There's a lot of ownership given to you if you show that you're willing and able to take on more. No micromanagement in the team I worked on.

Cons

I think some people who work at this company let their high-ranking position get to their heads. A lot of the more difficult interactions I've had with people were with the senior-level employees. To Spiceworks' credit, they have let go some employees who were repeatedly reported for their behavior.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making Spiceworks a great place to work! My only ask is to continue to keep a pulse on what changes are being made and the timelines associated with those. Sometimes it seems like we're ready to roll out a lot at once when we were really only ready to roll out one thing.

8. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

Great Culture, Benefits and People

Cons

Not really any cons but things are always evolving as it's a maturing start up

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing by creating a positive company culture where people want to work!

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Spiceworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart and fun coworkers
    Free snacks and drinks
    Free parking since its not downtown
    Fun team building events (well..not as much lately but there was a time!)
    Its nice and rewarding to see how much the IT pros love Spiceworks and when the clients are happy!
    Room to grow and make lots of $$ (well, if you have the right clients or prospect accounts)
    Good changes and product revamps look good for future
    Creative freedom to structure your day as you please

Cons

Accounts are assigned but also can be moved around a lot so you never know if you will have one taken away or given to you. No real process for account distribution...seems luck or favoritism.
    Culture hasn't been as fun and happy lately but thats something that can be changed with ownership.
    Interactions between departments could benefit from streamlined processes.

Advice to Management

invest in the people you have! Bring back the fun events and team building opportunities. Culture definitely feels lackluster lately but could be helped with a bit of "spice" being brought back.

10. "Positivity and hard work."

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time

Pros

Everybody is extremely cordial and friendly... it's not hard to make friends here.

Cons

Not many negative things to say at the moment.

Advice to Management

keep it up!

11. "Onward & Upward"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Spiceworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spiceworks went through some serious challenges right after I was hired at the company, and that's why you'll see negative reviews from 6 months- 1 year ago. The direction of the company has totally changed. Everyone has a noticeable swagger about them and all things seem to be clicking company wide. Especially in sales. A lot of reps have been let go or left because they probably weren't the best fit for our mission. If you can be strategic, and understand the media landscape, there is a lot of upside for you at Spiceworks. Not to mention 20 days of PTO and an incredible culture.

Cons

Challenges are the clarity around where we're headed from an IPO or Acquisition stand point. Would like to understand how we're going to find new revenue streams to get us there.

Advice to Management

Provide more clarity on what you'd like to see happen to Spiceworks when we hit that IPO or acquisition stage here in the next couple years.