Square Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.1
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance (again depending on your org but it was great in mine)" (in 36 reviews)

• "Provided great work environment" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a new office" (in 28 reviews)

• "The company is growing fast, so teams/management can change suddenly" (in 13 reviews)

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Square full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is mission-driven and there are many smart people who work collaboratively to make it happen.

Cons

The pace of work is exhausting.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

2. "good company with lots of room for growth"

I worked at Square full-time

Pros

Lots of room for growth. Always around the smartest people. Public company.

Cons

Transparency of information from upper management.

Advice to Management

Employees seek training to become better employees but rarely get it.

"Anonymous"

I worked at Square full-time

Pros

Free snacks and continental breakfast, good health benefits.

Cons

Feeling like San Francisco site thinks St. Louis employees are red necks that are below them in knowledge.

"Data Analyst, Customer Success"

I worked at Square full-time

Pros

Open work atmosphere/culture that emulates the "west coast" mindset----which can be awesome!

Cons

Warning - If you have children, this may not be the company for you. They implement policies that helps them "eliminate" people. Don't let the atmosphere fool you. The policies lack "humanity". The offices in CA and other regions do not utilize the same policies in other cities....beware of that.

Advice to Management

Policies, attitude, and procedures should be replicated in all offices.

"Privileged to have worked here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Square full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Passionate, smart, and dedicated co-workers
    - Opportunity for career growth
    - Gorgeous offices
    - Company has a clear sense of culture, and has worked hard on developing the right framework for decision making based on those cultural tenants
    - Smart and capable leadership (on average)
    - Inspiring CEO; very often felt like you were a part of something bigger than just "payments"

Cons

- HR department seemed to be in a constant state of disarray; understaffed, overworked, and lacking the right leadership. Not enough HR support for the company as a result.
    - Often in-fighting amongst senior leadership team, causing drama and disruption to work
    - CEO split between two jobs (Twitter and Square) meaning decisions took longer than they should, or were caught up in leadership swirl longer than they needed to be.

6. "Need to have basic skill set on Analytics, Supply Management, and Logistics to perform the role on average."

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager

I have been working at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- square stock has huge upside
    - folks are collaborative and friendly— it’s rare you’ll find people who won’t support you in projects
    - not a stressful environment so long as you hit your quarterly targets (which are achievable)
    - workload is manageable— once you’ve gotten to a point when your hours are shorter, that means you’re slated for a promotion

Cons

- given the scope of work, salary can be better compared to other competitors
    - career upside has a lot of potential only if you’re in a major market— if you handle square’s products remotely, don’t expect to get to a high level unless you’re willing to move around

"The best career move I ever made..."

I have been working at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Gourmet breakfast lunch and dinners, a smoothie bar that has some of the best smoothies I’ve ever had, and even a ginger shot (with grapes for chaser) to get your aura right in the mornings.. 4 on-site lunch areas, breakrooms stocked with the most amazing snacks and drinks ..

- Great paternity / maternity leave program. 4 paid months off!

- Super transparent company culture. Every other Friday we have a company wide meeting (with different fine wine and appetizer pairings), where different groups discuss what they’re working on, where Jack Dorsey himself engages with his Squares, and listens to us voice our grievances, whether professional or personal opinions, (and he does so with great compassion and concern for all).

- Awesome CEO that genuinely cares about every single person that works for him. He’s created a very welcoming and inclusive culture.

-Great company events aimed at creating a great, connected culture within the company ! Outrageous company picnic called square games with open bar and hilarious inflatable games and activities and not to mention all the good food! Great events for our merchants.. awesome holiday party.. and even just the random celebrations. Like Squares birthday.. and others.

- Pay is WAYYYYYY above market. Especially if you consider the fact that my stocks rocketed 250% in the past 7 months .

-The smartest and most personable colleagues. I seriously have made some of my best friends through this company. No beaurocracy. Everyone is humble and kind and respectful and happy.

-Flexibility in work schedule as long as you’re getting stuff done. I am able to work around commute hours and even WFH 1 or 2 days a week.. although I really miss being in the office the days I’m not it ..

-Lots of opportunity to make a name for yourself within this company, and given all we’re working on internally in terms of our own ecosystem of offerings, you are going to be sitting on a pretty penny in 5 years if you work hard here.

- CEO is a saint. God bless him for all he does and continues to do for his employees and for the rest of the world. He believes very strongly in being humble and letting the results speak for themselves. It may be why we don’t spend so much money on trying to be ranked the best place to work.

- Management is amazing. Very supportive of personal and professional development.

Cons

I feel like this true of any company I’ve worked at that spoils their employees, but some people begin to feel entitled and whine about the most nonsensical stuff. Like some of these reviews for example. None of you are oppressed. None of you work at a place that you can’t stand. You’d be somewhere else otherwise. And if you think it’s any better anywhere else, by all means, it’s at will employment.. but I will let our boomerang rate (people that leave and then come back) speak for itself.. and as someone who has worked at other these so called “best places to work”, trust me. We have it so, so good.

Advice to Management

Please don’t ever change.

8. "Best company I've worked for"

I have been working at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Square has a fascinating product ecosystem
    *The company actively develops the skills of employees. The company hosts good meetups and pays for its employees to take coursework/attend conferences.
    *There are a lot of opportunities to transition to other teams/roles
    *decent work life balance: people work hard but still take decent vacations and have time for family/friends/hobbies
    *colleagues genuinely care about you. Lots of employees are friends outside of work. People make a point to celebrate other's birthdays/important life events.
    *excellent food and office perks (barrista/ onsite yoga/gym..). Great team offsites

Cons

*The company is growing fast, so teams/management can change suddenly.
    *Having many different products means that infrastructure and resources aren't evenly distributed across teams. Your experience is very much dependent on the team you work for.

"Growing Pains - Counsel Dpt. Toxicity"

Current Employee - Compliance Manager
    Current Employee - Compliance Manager

I have been working at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Square is great for the core mission of economic empowerment. Most people are truly there because they believe in the mission and build an employee micro-community within Square where everyone can fit in.

Cons

As Square got bigger it fell victim to the large corporate pitfalls and hasn't figured out how to address it. Specifically, the Counsel and Compliance teams are led top-down despite the majority of leadership having inadequate experience in Compliance and/or leading people. Great example: they only look for new hires with 10-15+ years of experience when they don't have half of that experience. They were put into management because they had a friend (with secrets) at the top when it was a start up. The corruption trickles down from the few bad seeds that started the Compliance org.

Despite the ability to hire great talent, it never stays long because "people don't leave companies, they leave bad managers." There's a serious lack of motivation accompanied by favoritism, bullying, and typical bureaucracy. E.g. several people went to HR about the toxic leadership, and nothing changed. I would describe it as a leadership "regime" where you better fall in line or get pushed to the side.

Advice to Management

Take note of attrition rates and which manager(s) has the highest. It's very easy to see themes. Stop encouraging unhappy folks with bad managers to go to HR whose job it is to protect the manager and company. HR makes it very clear, they will not shake anything up unless forced to (legally). It's simple, just take care of your employees and put forth a little effort.

"SDE"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Square full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefit. Great people.

Cons

Long hours and bad location