Square Reviews

Found 732 of over 809 reviews

4.2
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey
Pros
  • "Great work life balance is promised(in 55 reviews)

• "They offer great benefits for their employees while also helping them further in their career(in 36 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a new office(in 29 reviews)

• "Work life balance during busy seasons/days(in 25 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Purpose led company with exciting things on the horizon

Jul 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Purpose led vision. This transpires to staff and decision making frameworks at every level. - Amazing culture. Square is filled with passionate, motivated, clever and kind individuals and teams. - Scale. There are lots of exciting projects on the horizon, the world is your oyster at Square, if you choose to lean in.

Cons

- Fast paced (not a con but a reality of any business at this scale and life stage). Only suited to those who are excited to embrace this.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company, Great Culture.

Jul 1, 2021 - Customer Success Advocate in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Internal culture is very supportive, benefits are very generous and there is potential to grow within the company.

Cons

The entry level position salary is on the lower end. However, this is balanced by the benefits and the opportunity for growth.

3. 5.0

CashApp

May 21, 2021 - Software Engineer in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work for CashApp Engineeering within Square so can only speak for CashApp (which has a separate office to Square's in Melbourne). * Great remote-friendly culture though there are some things everyone is still figuring out (atleast I feel CashApp is better than few other companies I worked for in this aspect by doing more async comms etc) * Competent Engineering leadership - we don't have non-engineering managers leading teams or being engineering directors/senior leads who are very empathetic to real engineering issues and don't come with arbitrary deadlines or unnecessary pressures * Real autonomy to engineers. I've heard about it in almost all my previous places - but I didn't really know how it feels to be autonomous until I started here. Teams are only assigned a problem space / very high level and we solve it in the best way we want. No micromanagement or process overhead. * Work-life balance friendly! I can't speak for SF or other CashApp offices here - but the Melbourne (or AU generally speaking) is very much nailing this (or atleast trying best to). Don't have people staying late and working late so there is no pressure on anyone else indirectly either. * Good compensation / stocks * Working on very interesting stuff all the time due to the trajectory growth.

Cons

* Fast paced environment (good and bad thing I guess - so change is the only constant - reorgs, people movements, industry opportunities etc etc) - perhaps a good problem to have? * Whilst it's remote friendly, like I mentioned there are a lot of things still being figured out. The communities / guilds are not very active and kinda becoming just day to day work stuff. This would be a challenge for the org to re-energize such culture given Square has announced 100% remote even post-COVID and we already have hires from various parts of AU (combination of growing pains and 100% remote situation) * Not very diverse when it comes to senior management positions. Although the most diverse team when it comes to junior to mid engineers. Good thing there is acknowledgement of this issue but still work to be done by supporting women/LGBTQ members/person with some disability but fully able to work etc

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee

Toxic culture

Feb 1, 2021 - Fraud Specialist in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great learning platform to improve tech skills

Cons

Toxic culture. Unsupportive team with lack of lateral growth

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee

ok.

Feb 9, 2021 - Software Engineer in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

ok. some nice people I think

Cons

haven't thought about it much

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not as good as it seems

Aug 30, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Positive team environment, and good career opportunities internally

Cons

A lot of internal politics, benefits offered in contract have been either removed or are not as advertised.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Low salary

Feb 26, 2020 - Customer Success Associate in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee perks such as wellness allowance and lunch allowance

Cons

Very low salary despite an entry level role

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

Jul 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Square cares about its employees. Competitive compensation and benefits. Internal reviews were well organized. Company seemed to have clear direction, rather than impulsively changing future plans.

Cons

I liked working from the Square HQ office. There was a real sense of team and camaraderie in the office, although it can be a sprawling company. It seems like there is less focus on going into the office now. We'll see how that pans out for them.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It’s kind of a mess right now and honestly wouldn’t recommend at this time

Jul 14, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

The perks are great. Stipend for working from home expenses, health and wellness and health care benefits.

Cons

Pay is below average and they work you like a dog. Quota is constantly raised and very few reach that goal unless you are working at all times of the day. Management praises when people work overtime and is constantly pushing the toxic “hustle” culture. Management really has no idea what they are doing. Many people are unhappy and it feels like a mass exit is going to happen. Everyone is looking to get out of this role due to not being supported properly. Competitors are catching up and some have surpassed us.

8 people found this review helpful

Square Response

Square

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We value your concerns and have passed them along to the appropriate parties. If you would like to provide more context, we encourage you to reach out to your manager to further discuss these matters.

10. 5.0

Best Company I Have Ever Worked For

Jul 22, 2021 - Compliance Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management is attentive and encourage growth. Pay is excellent. Advancement opportunities are abundant. Employees are happy. Excellent resources provided to ensure you succeed at your role. Amazing corporate culture.

Cons

I see no cons honestly.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 732 Reviews