Square Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.2
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance (again depending on your org but it was great in mine)" (in 35 reviews)

• "Fun work environment, encouraged to approach challenges uniquely and creatively, high emphasis on customer satisfaction" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a new office" (in 28 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is non existent" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Best company I've worked for"

Former Employee - New Market Success/Beta Programmer Success in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Square full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've really gained some life skills working there. I was trusted the moment I stepped a foot in the door and was respected when asking questions and encouraged to change procedures and processes that slowed progression and did not benefit the customers. I was put in charge of new development projects with any guidance I needed and was told about what other teams were working on for the sake of transparency, clarity and being able to help them if I could and wanted. Overall would definitely go back to square if I have the chance to move back to Ireland .

Cons

Some of the work hours were long, but only by your own choice.

Advice to Management

Follow up with interview candidates to give feedback on the interview, I know it takes time but it's such a personal touch and really helps people apply for jobs in the future.

2. "Fantastic company with a great product and amazing colleagues"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Square full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working with an amazing team. Everyone is hardworking, smart and super nice.
    - Everyone works cross-functionally and is eager to help out other teams.
    - Better than average pay, good benefits.
    - Fully stocked kitchen that will keep you fed and watered at all times.
    - Challenging work and an amazing product!

Cons

- No product in market means that you are sometimes feeling a bit 'remote' from the actual product.
    - No stock (RSUs) for entry level positions.

"Great perks, great culture"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Really easygoing culture, no micromanagement going on, which is the best part. Flexible hours, and flexible work-from-home culture. Great perks, including free food and snacks, commuter and gym benefits, regular gym classes in the office, etc.

Cons

A little unclear on how to advance in the company. No clear upward trajectory.

4. "Exciting time to work on the UK team"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Square full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Having just launched in the UK a little over year ago, its a super exciting time to be working in Square UK. It has the fast-paced spark and passion of a start up, with the support systems of an established company. A win win!

-Small, amazing team = getting lot of responsibility which leaves you feeling like you are making a true impact.

-Tonnes of cross functional exposure

-New hire training in San Francisco

- Great benefits, fully stocked kitchen with allll the coffee.

Cons

Working from a location where Square is not available (Ireland), can lead to a feeling of disconnect at times. It would be great to see our products and merchants in the wild.

5. "Cool place to work"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

unlimited (limited) PTO, Company events

Cons

No career advancement, limitations on "free" policies

"Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Square (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Facilities, Great Perk and Benefits, Great Colleagues, Great Mission!

Cons

- The company is growing rapidly and this (understandably) causes some friction.
    - People Managers are often SMEs in their respective areas, and may not always be equipped to manage a team on day one - big learning curve.
    - There is a slight culture of bravado - lots of bright employees sometimes means that people do not often admit that they may not know something.

Advice to Management

- Would be great if new managers received coaching before being put into management positions.
    - Allow direct reports to provide managers with feedback.
    - Possibly implement a 360 style annual assessment - this would allow for much more accountability and feedback.
    - Create internal training materials for junior staff - lots of talented workers would benefit from more impactful mentorship.

7. "high effort - high reward"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Square is at that point where it's big enough to have unique, hard problems but small enough that many otherwise solved issues (data and ml infra, scaling & resiliency, cloud computing etc) still there for you to work on!

Engineering talent on average is great so is the eng culture.

Cons

Square is growing rapidly and some of the older dev infrastructure (deployment, visibility, lang support) needs serious work!

8. "Fun place"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Square full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A really cool experience. The office was always fun and energetic and full of support and encouragement. Great place to work.

Cons

There really is not too much to comment on here. You kind of are in or you are out. There should be more focus on management style as well.

Advice to Management

Some people are fit to manage, some are not. If someone is not in the right position, let them know or explain what they need to do better.

"Could be great..."

Pros

Their mission is great and they are willing to grow. Free breakfast in the morning and your lunch is reimbursed if you eat there.

Cons

They say unlimited pto but good luck getting any time off. It’s suppose to be an open policy but you get a feeling that it’s really not and a lot of clicks go on. Seems to be a set of hidden rules that no one knows about but if you break it good luck. Also if you are a republican don’t work here they trump bash all day

Advice to Management

None

"Work with the coolest kids on campus"

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Such a fantastic company! Management is extremely supportive, kind and intelligent.. So are all of my colleagues... No drama workplace... Free Breakfast, lunch and Dinner. Flexible workplace (can WFH as long as you get stuff done). CEO is just one morally sound dude that cares about everyone, including his employees (we love you Jack!). Colleagues are all super fun. Pay is better than almost all tech companies out there. HQ is in SF. Stocks are on FIRE, great RSU/ESPP program, commuter benefits etc. Epic holiday party, and an annual company picnic (Square Games) that is just tons of fun... Company wide meeting every other week with wine and appetizers as of 3 PM. At the forefront of some pretty neat stuff and we are continuing to JUST CRUSH IT... Business is investing in itself and growing like crazy. Tons of philanthropy opportunities... LOVE LOVE LOVE working here.

Cons

None. Seriously. None. I have to write 5 words at least for this so at this point Im just typing, but this is the best place Ive ever worked, and I come to Square from some pretty employee centric companies like Google and Salesforce.

Advice to Management

None. Thank you for being so great, at every level. I have never felt intimidated or fearful of approaching any one of you. You guys are all just so awesome!