Squiz Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Squiz Reviews

Updated 26 Nov 2019

3.4
Squiz CEO John-Paul Syriatowicz (no image)
John-Paul Syriatowicz
  1. "Opportunities for career progression"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Squiz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home Bonus incentives 30 days annual leave Paid maternity leave Supportive team Attractive salary

Cons

Team based incentives rather than individual

Advice to Management

Take onboard feedback that is regularly provided in order to retain influential and highly sort after staff.

Squiz2019-06-26
  2. "Don't ! Just Don't !"

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

*Coffee machine and tea * People there very nice * Flexible working hours

Cons

* Low paid * Still using 5 years ago techs * No one care about the team growing

Advice to Management

Meeting , meeting and meeting ~ Never take action.

Squiz2019-07-07

"Avoid it. You would waste your time."

I worked at Squiz full-time

Pros

I made good friends.

Cons

Old technology, old mindset. Lots of talks about a vision that keeps changing. No process, no sales culture, no investment... I could carry on.

Advice to Management

Implement a proper structure, lead by example, invest.

Squiz2018-09-27
  4. "A standard digital agency with a good vibe"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than a year

Pros

- nice people - table tennis / friday drinks - relaxed atmosphere -

Cons

- regular agency with either too much going on or not enough - projects become too samey

Squiz2018-03-26
  5. "Good company that's lost its way"

Former Employee - Customer Support

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Usually nice office spaces. Creative types. Allows for cross office work more than most companies. The people are nice, majority genuinely like working with each other and are helpful. Friendly social atmosphere. There are a lot of talented people at Squiz working hard for their customers and for each other. Good diversity of people. Pay's okay. Has made some improvements in this space. Nice healthy... living bonus.

Cons

There's a lot of unaddressed negativity and no innovation. Lots of talk about values but no commitment to technical excellence, recognition of effort or career progression. Client focus is driven by individuals rather than company-wide programmes. Despite delivering innovation for clients we're going backwards. Processes are broken and good ideas from experienced people ignored unless it comes from the CEOs... inner circle. Key products driving innovation are underfunded. Priorities compete with each other. Regionally we innovate but we're not moving forward as a company. There's new vision presented every 6-12 months, its always "we'll build it ourselves!", never includes a budget because the CEO doesn't believe in budgets and never measures results or sticks to a plan. Latest move is to hire new external Executives. Great to being in new experience but change needs to go deeper. Only one female exec (HR) in 8 or 10 globally? There are many female role models available. Why do they not have a voice across the company? No maternity leave or paternity leave. HR has been promising updates on this topic for years. We're burning through people with talent.

Advice to Management

Squiz was a good company, a local alternative to bigger vendors that. Liners loved, but has been struggling for a while and now our clients are noticing. It's time for an honest look at Squiz. One of our Squiz DNA pillars is Start with the Why. Isolated technology cannot survive on its own. An absolute client focus must guide us. Squiz should be more connected to other tech (stop wasting 5 years on product... R&D) so we keep up with innovation. Deliver on one strategy and measure success or failure before creating another one. Listen to staff on the front lines and put their ideas into practice. They could turn this company around if you did.

Squiz2017-12-15

"decent place to work, but has standard problems"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have some good staff the and good beer fridges and a range of interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Its a regular digital agency that has ups and downs with work load. Having worked a couple of years on different projects I quickly found that there were too many new ideas floating around and not enough action taken on enough of them. Not the best salary around.

Advice to Management

Complete some of the ideas first before having 100s more

Squiz2017-08-31

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Web Solutions Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Squiz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Nice open plan office, where you can easily walk round and chat to people... or fire a nerf gun at them. - Lot's of different work - It's not the same work day-in-day-out, every project is different. We have so many clients, meaning we get so many different projects coming through. My favourites are the single page apps, where I get to use ReactJS! - Awesome fridge with beer and wine... people love that in... the evenings, especially Friday! - People are actually encouraging!! That's a rare thing I've found with my previous employers. You feel that people are grateful for your work.... they actually thank you and say "well done! good job!". It isn't vital but you certainly enjoy the day-to-day more when it happens. - Cool benefits, like the health fund (300 bucks a year to spend on anything healthy! ... I went with running trainers and a yoga mat) - Around the office people are.....pleasant! It's in the 'Squiz DNA' ....'Don't be a jerk', which you can see when talking to people in general. I feel like everyone's approachable and friendly. I've never had a falling out with anyone at the office. - Whenever you fancy a ping pong game, you can just step away and get super competitive for 10 minutes, which really helps with the post lunch coma on some days. - Lot's of career progression - if you're willing to choose to be positive, be brave, take ownership of new, unknown and scary looking projects, then there are great leaders there who will see that and will want to raise you up to new and greater roles & responsibilities. The company structure isn't stagnant, they're usually looking for ways to mov things around and improve the structure, so there's frequently new internal roles available. I've always felt supported by the leadership in my career progression. - Regular Squiz paid social events.... definitely want to stick around for when pizza is ordered! - We do timesheets here at Squiz, which a lot of people don't like. You might not believe me but..... I think the timesheets are a good thing and actually help me!! You can document where you've spent your hours so nobody is glaring at you if you need to leave at 4pm. It totally supports our flexibility. I don't feel any negativity in taking a 2 hour lunch break as long as I chalk in an extra hour somewhere else in the week. This is unlike other companies I have worked for, which have a culture that slowly drifts into expecting you to work 9 hours a day but you only get paid for 7.5. - Squiz is willing to pay for an awesome team lunch every now and again :)

Cons

- A few projects come through that aren't super interesting, e.g. just large websites. But then something awesome comes along that you can make into a Single Page App using react/redux/ssr, which is the real fun stuff.

Squiz2017-08-25

"Don't, just don't!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Squiz full-time for more than a year

Pros

- I even can't think of one

Cons

- Your career will go backwards - You'll work with ancient technology - Nothing changes - Lots of talk, zero action - Management have no clue and are clinging to the past

Advice to Management

Admit you need help. Stop acting like a boys club and listen to your staff. Stop calling us 'Squizzers' and actually remember the names of the people who carry this company.

Squiz2017-08-23

"Interesting place to work for the average folk"

Former Employee - Production Systems Administrator in Brisbane

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Start up feel when I first started working. Ok level of flexibility but not on par with magic quadrant alternatives Some really good opportunities for entry level folks entering the work force but if you're a gun look elsewhere.

Cons

Age difference culture clash Agency style work where billable hours take front seat to innovation Glass ceiling on innovation, if it works don't fix it mentality Inability to embrace process improvement and new technology Sub par pay Fragmented team across regions without daily stand up's across regions Complete lack of Product Operational Responsibility across OPS due to fragmentation of the OPS team... across states/offices Upper Ops management completely allergic to Kaizen due to pressure to be billable Limited to the Squiz stack in self development

Advice to Management

Be totally transparent and look outside the box

Squiz2017-05-19

"PHP Developer"

PHP Developer in Sydney

I worked at Squiz for more than 3 years

Pros

Senior management are top notch and really care about the company. This flows down to most employees with pretty good attitudes throughout the organisation. They have many offices scattered around the place so chance to work with people form different locations.

Cons

The work seems to be a little old school and behind the times. Working on large government and enterprise software can be more about meetings than solving interesting problems.

Advice to Management

The company needs to look around the industry a bit more to keep up with trends.

Squiz2017-04-22