Squiz Employee Reviews about "squiz"

Updated Nov 20, 2021

Found 41 of over 168 reviews

3.5
Squiz Founder and Board Chair  John-Paul Syriatowicz (no image)
John-Paul Syriatowicz
Pros
  • "The biggest pro at Squiz are the people that we are lucky enough to work alongside(in 21 reviews)

• "Great people, very collaborative culture(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "old tech stack (Squiz is still in the Web 2(in 23 reviews)

• "Slow decision making by senior management(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "squiz"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Build your skills alongside great people

Feb 18, 2021 - Product Engineering Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging and interesting work, great people to work with, lots of support, a culture of learning, and a constant opportunity to build new skills. Squiz isn't a place for engineers to come and coast along - you're challenged every day to produce great work, focus on customer value, practice new skills, learn from your failures, and support your colleagues. If that doesn't sound like you, Squiz may not be a good fit.

Cons

COVID forced a lot of change to happen very quickly. This has caused some confusion around roles and shown some gaps in teams that still need to be filled.

Head of People & Culture

Thanks for your feedback and glad you are feeling challenged and learning. Your advice is spot on and we know the right investment is critical to our success including for our Services teams. We are also working to ensure that we can get clarity around responsibilities and fill those gaps as fast as we possibly can with really great people. I always welcome a chat so that we really can hit the mark for our people experiences Thanks again! Helen

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Don't walk, Run...far, far, away from this place!

Nov 20, 2021 - Sales in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Zipadeeedooodaday! Translation: there are no pros

Cons

I had a family tragedy when I worked at Squiz. To say that management were callous would be underestimating how they treated me. The insensitivity they showed me during the most difficult time of my life only exacerbated the trauma and grief I was experiencing. Management are just not very nice human beings.

Chief People and Culture Officer

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback and sorry your experience with us was so poor. I was absolutely shocked to read about callous management and poor treatment during a family tragedy as this goes against the values that we hold very dear and the behaviours and standards we hold our people to. I can only apologise on behalf of Squiz for any mistreatment you experienced and make it clear this is not an approach we condone. We certainly take the care of our people seriously and this came as a surprise based on what we’ve done historically for our people. If you were comfortable, it would be great if you could reach out to me so I can understand more about this experience so we can address it and make sure this does not happen to anyone else. Thanks again for the feedback and again sincere apologies on behalf of Squiz.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Talented people building amazing solutions for clients with colleagues whose values align & we have each others backs.

Oct 8, 2021 - Client Services
      Business Outlook

Pros

The biggest pro at Squiz are the people that we are lucky enough to work alongside. There is something about Squiz people that makes you want to come to work. It's a combination of working with people that truly challenge you to be better because they are so intelligent, whilst also being so genuine, supportive and caring. These people allow you to back yourself and be vulnerable, knowing that you have the support of everyone around you whether you nail it or you miss and learn something. These kind of people make tough weeks feel much easier and are 100% a huge reason that many people choose to work at Squiz. I know people that have moved onto other roles for other companies and Squizzers continue to be a big part of their lives, because they are that good! I could talk forever about the people but....Squiz also has a great set of clients that we get to work alongside and partner with. There is a new flexible working policy which gives people more control over their working day and helps with work life balance. We also get the opportunity to work across states and countries. Glassdoor is full of criticism for the exec but I can honestly say that I get to work for a member of the exec who I learn so much from all the time. They put in 1000% everyday and always push me to grow with their trust and support - I couldn't ask for more. Whilst other reviews here talk to the short tenure of employees, this is not my experience. I have been around for 7 years and I am lucky to work with people who have been in this company for 5,10,15+ years and that's not the exception, that is common. There is a reason that these people have stayed around so long and that isn't something you find in many organisations.

Cons

Going through a restructure and dealing with covid was hard and Squiz didn't handle it perfectly. Some questionable choices were made which have had fairly significant impacts on the business. There is not the clarity on strategy that is needed for employees. Recruitment has been held up and then when budgets were available, there was nobody to fill roles leading to asking a lot from everyone. Communications are often lacking and timings are not always shared.

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

If you are a Junior Developer, you may want to consider Squiz as your first job.

Oct 8, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are Junior Developer or you just finished bootcamp and you looking for first job, this is a good place to be as your first IT job. You can consider working here for up to a year to gain experience and look for a better place. People, your teammates ( without managements ). So much for the pluses.

Cons

- if you are an ambitious developer this is not the place for you, - no career path and lack of personal development, - lack or poor implement IT programming standard (such as tests, code reviews, CI/CD, git work flow, etc), - boring, repetitive projects (if you are working in service team you basically build templates for CMS), - waterfall methodology, but they call it agile, - old tech stack (Squiz is still in the Web 2.0 era). In fact, you can forget about things like react, vue (if you're lucky, you might get a small project once a year that will use new technologies), - outdated products such as Matrix CMS that you have to use and build solution for Squiz clients (even if the client doesn't need CMS, you have to use it, because almost all solutions are hosted inside that CMS), - salary almost twice less than market average, - the entire HR department is just useless, it creates more problems than it helps, - no clear vision of what Squiz wants to be (Digital Agency using own products and build solutions for client or SaaS company servicing only own products) And more and more...

13 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee

Welcome to ~Squiz games~

Nov 3, 2021 - Senior Developer in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

None. I thought free snacks was a perk until I got diarrhea.

Cons

Welcome to ~Squiz games~ Game 1: Figure out what on earth do they do. Nobody really knows what they do or what they want to do. Ridiculous management. No future vision. Do yourself a favour and introduce yourself to Microsoft CX suite instead. Game 2: Deal with whimsical management changes. Your team could be fired at the drop of hat. The team treats every new person like garbage and the funnelback team has a huge superiority complex for what is at best a mediocre product. Game 3: Debilitate your career forever. There is no reward for the Squiz games once you're in. No green light. Save yourself!

Chief People and Culture Officer

Hi there. We’re sorry to hear your thoughts but appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although you are clearly no longer with the company, we wanted to assure you that Squiz is heavily focused on addressing the issues you raise. We have had some difficult patches and not every situation has been handled or received exactly as we might have liked. Our people have always been a priority and we strongly believe that Squiz is now at a very important and exciting point with a refreshed strategy designed to meet and exceed the expectations of both our people and our customers. We also have a renewed focus on transparency across our teams. If you’d like any more information on this or would like to share any further comments we invite you to contact either your line manager from your time at Squiz or the People & Culture team directly.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Work Life balance

Jun 10, 2021 - Account Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture and very supportive management Squiz is supportive of work life balance.

Cons

Product release and upgrade need to be aligned.

Head of People & Culture

Thanks for your review and am so glad you had a positive experience of our culture, felt supported, and experienced the work-life balance we value. As we continue to evolve products and do our migration, the upgrade and release cycles are continuously improving.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Read reviews before considering..

Jun 29, 2021 - Sales in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent base salaries, especially considering the expectations around output/work.

Cons

Squiz review; If you’re reading this it’s because you’re considering employment with Squiz. Firstly, you’re already a step ahead of most for doing your research. I’d highly suggest spending some time reading the reviews here, looking for common themes/trends, as this is the best way of deciphering biased or ill intended posts from those who are sharing their real experiences for the benefit of others. What you must know; - The business is largely split into commerical and services (the result of being a digital agency for 20+ years who have recently decided to try their hand at SaaS). The experiences between the two will differ greatly. My points are related predominantly to the commerical side. There are some good people in services, however even they are beginning to feel the consequences of the culture. - Staff turnover - is overwhelmingly high e.g longest serving employee in APAC sales team has been there 6 months. Senior management/recruitment will try and convince you that this was a necessary step from transitioning towards saas. Dive deeper, reach out to ex employees, ask for stats around turnover etc. - With the significant staff turnover, brings about constant change in direction/strategy/leadership. Things will change abruptly with little notice, consideration, planning, justification and most importantly, data. - Accountability and transparency do not exist in the business. Very few people come into the office or do much work at all (widely known and discussed) which sounds good as you’ve got almost complete autonomy, until you realise this leads to very poor performance and morale. - Fairly directly related to the points above, the culture is one of uncertainty, frustration and inaction. Almost all people in the commerical side of the business are actively looking elsewhere. One of the only things keeping them there is the fact that they’re quite easily able to do little to no work for a fairly reasonable salary. - The product isn’t at all where it needs to be in the market. It’s very expensive, labour intensive and only offers some value to specific industries it’s been built for. This mainly impacts those in sales, as commissions are non existent and in turn leads to little to no job security. Given the length of this review, you’d expect I’ve highlighted every issue, however unfortunately these are only the major issues I’ve decided to share and it’s only scratching the surface. If you’ve read this far, I hope at the very least it helps guide your questions in the interview process. Unfortunately some of you reading this may be in a position where they need employment and would be tempted to accept a role at Squiz, despite the discussed concerns. If that is the case I empathise with you but also urge you to consider the follow on consequences if the role doesn’t work out as intended. You may find that you’re better off waiting for a role that doesn’t have a high likelihood of putting you in a worse position than you’re in now. Best of luck and I hope this review was of some value.

17 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee

Save yourself the career regression and avoid this complex dinosaur

May 20, 2021 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

- A diverse, interesting group of people to work with - Before the COVID redundancies in April 2020, the culture was fantastic. Since then it became an extremely depressing place to work

Cons

Where to start. - Extremely slow decision making by senior management, making it nearly impossible to launch a marketing campaign - Senior management lacks an understanding of marketing fundamentals. They invested in a very capable marketing team but left us to rot with zero marketing budget to work with, cutting us off at the knees at every attempt to grow the business. A very frustrating cycle if you want to make a difference and grow - For a "digital" company, there is no understanding of the importance of digital advertising to drive leads or content to drive awareness - Overly complex structure and processes for no reason - Very uncertain future when looking at the growth of the company - Sexist and discriminative behaviour went unnoticed - New addition to senior leadership was a very poor decision, resulting in several people leaving. Started a rude, blame game culture - The vast majority of the UK office was kept on furlough for months with no communication, only to be sacked all of a sudden when they could have spent months looking for jobs - The sales team is set up for failure with no training on how to sell many, complex products to different industries and departments. As the marketing engine was unsupported there was literally nothing for sales to work with - The product team are making impressive progress, but compared to our competitors it's 5 years too late Avoid Squiz if you're a driven marketing or sales professional. Once you leave Squiz for another tech company, you actually understand (or remember) what it's like to work in an innovative, data-driven and high-growth organisation.

Head of People & Culture

Thank you for providing us with your perspective. We do really value the feedback from our people both past and present; and take this into consideration, along with other factors. To anyone in the organisation, please do reach out and speak to us if there is anything you want us to hear about or anything that you feel is going unnoticed. I personally want to address the sexist and discriminatory behaviour you call out and from my perspective I am disappointed if that has been your experience. We do not condone such behaviours, have policies in place for that very reason, and anything that I have been made aware of, I believe has been dealt with swiftly and appropriately to the situation. There is always room for improvement and we are committed to simplifying and better decision-making as well as getting a clearer view of our strategy to share across the organisation and track progress. Sales and Marketing are vital to this business and this is a focal point for us. I know that for our marketing people they have experienced challenges. We have recently realigned our sales structure under clear regional leads and are ensuring our marketing is truly partnered with regular connection points as we push towards our goals. I believe that as we progress our plans the experience for anyone in the future will be a better one. Thanks, Helen

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Heed the warnings

Jan 18, 2021 - Sales in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people who care, interesting clients

Cons

I shouldn't be at all shocked by the fake reviews posted here, but it speaks volumes about the state of the company at the moment. If you're looking to join, ask tough questions and be certain you're willing to jump in at such an uncertain time in the company. Why uncertain? As many others have pointed out, the company's direction changes constantly and many key staff have left out of frustration, or are on their way out. Squiz have had to make some big decisions regarding product and company structure, and neither has been managed smoothly. This has led to much of the uncertainty as things are in a constant state of flux, with no strong leadership guiding the way. Squiz needs dedicated people and a great culture in order to survive from here on, but there seems to be an us vs them mentality from the top which is counterproductive. I mean, read some of these 5 star reviews and tell me they're genuine! Rather than spending effort on your online image, pay attention to the staff who are like canaries in the mine. When they start leaving on masse, find the root cause. What's sad is that Squiz could be a great company. Unless things change soon, the decline will continue. If you're looking for a job here (and I get it, it's a tough market), know what you're in for. Don't expect much from the Executive, expect a high possibility of a stressful environment with low morale, don't expect growth, and don't expect market rates. If you're in sales, pay careful attention to the compensation plan before you join. All said, you'll probably work with great people around you, but don't be surprised if they're looking for an out!

14 people found this review helpful

Squiz Response

Thanks for your comments. I am sorry you’re so disappointed. We did make some big changes to company structure and have invested in the product. Through those changes, we have lost some great people and I deeply regret that. However, I think it is worth mentioning that even with the turnover, Squiz’s average tenure remains significantly better than the standard for our industry. Even so, I accept we could have done a better job at communicating and easing the angst. I certainly tried, but I accept it wasn’t enough for you and others. 2020 certainly made normal face-to-face interactions difficult and I think that had an impact too. Despite our shortcomings, I do think we acted for the right reasons and in most cases, we made the right decisions. I sincerely believe that our customer and everyone working at Squiz will benefit from the changes we’ve made as we move forward in 2021 and beyond. You advise candidates to ask tough questions when considering Squiz. I think that’s great advice. I’m also very happy to answer questions from candidates if that helps anyone make a decision as to whether Squiz is the right place for them. If you’re a shortlisted candidate, just ask People and Culture to connect us. To the writer, I wish you all the best for your new endeavours and I hope your next experience is more positive. Thank you for your time at Squiz. JP (short for John-Paul) CEO

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic

Nov 30, 2020 - User Experience Designer in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

A phenomenal culture, and an exciting product suite to work with.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about Squiz.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 41 Reviews