St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews

Updated 6 Aug 2020

4.7
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Pros
  • "Decent compensation plus great benefits, particularly when taking into account the relatively lower living expenses ((in 67 reviews)

• "To work with a great TEAM has truly been a great place to work(in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons of working here(in 39 reviews)

• "Prepare to commute 30-50 min to downtown from Germantown or Collierville (there is no good public school(in 15 reviews)

1. "humanitarian officer"

Former Employee - Humanitarian in Sydney

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meaningful work,organization that helps people to heal from cancer

Cons

Kids that are suffering from cancer but this hospital is gift to them

Continue reading
  2. "St. Jude actually cares"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Takes care of patients and employees

Cons

Local and State government discourage me from living in Memphis long term.

3. "good"

Current Employee - Teacher in New Delhi

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

good management good hospitality good management

Cons

bad managent and not poper enviornment ansnd

4. "Great academic growth"

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong connections with top tier scientists, great resources in terms of data, projects, and people

Cons

Memphis crime rate is high

August 6, 2020Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We're glad that you have found a rich scientific environment to continue your work! We are happy to share some resources that a new Memphian might find helpful with regard to the city's crime rates. Oftentimes, it's a matter of perspective and learning more about Memphis' socioeconomic concerns. If you're interested in additional information, please email Talent Acquisition within HR and ask about the city data statistics. Hopefully we can share some information that will help you learn a little more about the city! Thank you for your dedication to St. Jude!

5. "Excellent place to do a postdoc"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great resources for career development for postdocs, great salary and benefits, low cost of living, good opportunity for transferring to permanent positions

Cons

Limited access to teaching opportunities or graduate students compared to university setting

August 4, 2020Human Resources

Hi! We're glad you've had such a fruitful experience as a postdoc here at St. Jude. We pride ourselves on the salary and resources we're able to provide for our postdocs but we recognize that there is always room for improvement. Have you discussed a desire for more mentoring opportunities with Academic Programs? Currently there are not as many students able to come on campus due to the pandemic, but please run your ideas by APO and the research council in the hopes that we can explore even more opportunities for postdocs moving forward. Thank you for your hard work!

6. COVID-19

"A pandemic paradise..."

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

During this challenging time, St Jude leadership has kept us updated and informed regarding ways to keep our families and ourselves safe. More importantly, we are being supported and instructed in keeping our hospital safe for the children and families who need us right now. We are all given good masks (and required to wear them), tested regularly, provided the cleaning supplies and the environment we need to be as safe as we can be. We also hear regular words of appreciation and encouragement from the CEO on down the chain, for our efforts to keep our campus safe.

Cons

There are some people in every population who take public health issues more seriously than others. Unfortunately, we have a few people who do not follow the suggested health and safety guidelines, but most do.

July 28, 2020Human Resources

Whoa, what a flattering review to read! Thank you for your kind words. Our leadership has tried very hard to not only remain transparent, but create the safest environment as possible here at St. Jude. We are very lucky to have created a testing system for our patients, their families, and our employees. Thank you for taking notice of St. Jude's efforts and, should you have any ideas for improvement, please consult St. Jude Today for a way to pass along your ideas. Each one is reviewed by executive leadership. Thank you again and continue to stay safe.

7. "Great benefits, can't beat the mission, but it's toxic"

Former Employee - Scrum Master in Memphis, TN
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Mission and Benefits are outstanding

Cons

Toxic work culture and elitism and people don't want you to rise above them

August 6, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for your candor with regard to your experience. We are sorry to hear that your experience was negative. In order to prepare future leaders to become better managers, we launched our leadership training initiatives, which are in-house development opportunities to help people managers better connect with their teams. Additionally, we strive to provide growth opportunities for all of our employees, so it is upsetting that you felt that your potential was stifled. We're hopeful that you shared your experiences with Employee Relations while here so that proper action could be taken. Thank you again.

8. "Amazing atmosphere"

Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Extremely professional and kind employees

Cons

Memphis is an unusual place, but that's also great

July 15, 2020Human Resources

Hi! We know things have been different for our research community during the pandemic response, so it means a lot that you took the time to write a review. We're happy to read that the environment is professional and welcoming. Memphis is very unique but that's why we love to share it with our employees and their families that move here from all over. We're glad that you have made it your new home. Thanks for your continued hard work!

9. "A great alternative to industry or university for science lovers"

Current Employee - Senior Research Specialist

Pros

1. More stable compare to scientist positions in industry or universities (where you can retire from if you really want to) 2. Decent compensation plus great benefits, particularly when taking into account the relatively lower living expenses ($350,000 for a 4b, 4b mansion in the city outskirts, which are safe and pretty) 3. Great infrastructure and core facilities: almost the only limitation is your capability and maturity. Depending on the group joined, one can get either more academic (publishing high impact paper) or industry like experience (R&D, GMP, clinical trials) or both.

Cons

1. Talented scientist easily stands out and may become complacent. 2. Prepare to commute 30-50 min to downtown from Germantown or Collierville (there is no good public school downtown) 3. You have to be creative with your exit plan (assuming you plan to leave at some point). Research staff is NOT considered a stepping stone to tenure track positions in universities (unless negotiated before entering), although transiting to industry is relatively easy.

July 13, 2020Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for not only crafting a very thoughtful review, but addressing many niche things that researchers often want to know. It's clear that you have put a lot of thought into the things that might matter to our scientific researchers. Our stability comes from the fact that we operate mostly through donations through ALSAC, our fundraising and awareness arm. This makes us less dependent on grant money than other academic institutions. Memphis is extremely affordable; those considering moving to Memphis only have to contact Human Resources if they'd like more information on neighborhoods. Thank you, as well, for recognizing our core facilities as well as the clinical trials and GMP; all are part of the infrastructure that makes St. Jude stand out. To address complacency, we encourage personal growth and professional development among even our higher-ranking staff. We also hope that current employees who notice this feel empowered to contact Employee Relations or EERS so that a potential problem can be addressed. As for the commute, we can't argue that the suburbs tend to be a longer drive! Those wishing to be closer to campus will find safe, beautiful neighborhoods with great schools in midtown and East Memphis, and our Talent Acquisition team can help families find a perfect fit that is closer to work. And finally, thank you for bringing up how our research career ladder might compare to those of other institutions. Each institution and organization vary in what they are seeking and the knowledge and experience that might work best for their own mission. We see our research staff accept positions at varied levels around the world, depending on what ends up being a fit for their science. As you point out, however, this is something that those interviewing for roles here at St. Jude might want to bring up during the interview process. Thank you again for your wonderful review. We hope that you continue to do great work for us for years to come!

10. "Great Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company environment and a great place to work

Cons

Could use some more diversity at the top levels of the institution

July 2, 2020Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to review us! We know things have been different and sometimes tough around here lately as we continue to put safeguards in place to keep our employees and patients healthy, so we especially appreciate you letting us know that you enjoy it here. If you are not already involved, please contact our Office of Diversity and Inclusion. We need your voice!

Found 698 reviews