St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews

4.7
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Pros
Cons
  • "The only negative I can say is the location in downtown Memphis(in 15 reviews)

• "The existence of childhood cancer(in 11 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"St. Jude is the best place that I have ever worked!"

Current Employee - Business Operations in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

St. Jude is on the cutting edge of technology and always mindful of what they can do to provide better resources for all of us to do our best work. They recognize that access to resources and advanced technology helps us continue each of our contributions to the mission of "Finding cures. Saving children." St. Jude launched a novel COVID-19 testing strategy back in the spring where employees access campus with an app that screens them for symptoms and then informs them if they're due for a nasal swab that day. All of us are tested at least once a week, and many of us are tested more often if we have patient contact. The thought and commitment to patient and employee safety that went into this testing protocol is more proof of how much St. Jude values everyone's health and safety. Coming to campus feels secure. Thanks to our testing, St. Jude is one of the safest places in Memphis. Also, they've helped us parents a lot with childcare during the pandemic. My family is so grateful We also have some incredible benefits and perks here! Our medical insurance is so affordable, and now we have an onsite clinic and pharmacy for employees so I don't ever have to worry about booking a doctor appointment that takes up half my day just to get a quick prescription or something. I love that we have an onsite gym that has fueled us throughout the pandemic with virtual classes and individual challenges we can do at home (the plank challenge got me to a 4-minute plank!). Unfortunately, we don't have our holiday events this year, but St. Jude has still managed to organize a drive-through lights display on campus for employees and their families. I'm hopeful that after the pandemic, other perks like massage services, daily food trucks, and mobile car-washing will start again. I've felt very supported and valued while working here and throughout the pandemic. Highly recommend

Cons

A couple years ago, parking was starting to be a problem. We had a lot of growth and all the new people made parking a little crazy. Memphis is the type city that pretty much requires that we have a personal vehicle, so taking a bus wasn't really an option. The cafeteria was also getting packed with patients, families, and all of the employees. I think everyone likes the idea of dining in the same facilities (and our food is actually great), but the crowds were a lot. When the pandemic happened, the cafeteria wasn't an option for a lot of us that don't work in clinical areas. Tons of us started to work from home. The parking problem kinda disappeared and I'm sure the cafeteria is less crowded. So this isn't a con, but I hope that our leadership continues to see the benefits of some of our workforce working from home, at least some of the time. With parking and cafeteria crowding solved, we can focus our efforts elsewhere.

December 9, 2020Human Resources

Wow! What a great review to read! Thank you for your insight and thoughtfulness when writing your review. We're glad that you're enjoying the benefits and we agree that it will be nice to have some of our onsite perks return in the future. Thank you for mentioning the COVID-19 testing; it is integral to keeping our patients and their families safe by doing everything possible to keep the virus off of the St. Jude campus. Please stay tuned for announcements regarding a continuation of the work from home program. Thank you again for your hard work, your dedication to St. Jude, and the time you've taken to leave us a review.

2. "humanitarian officer"

Former Employee - Humanitarian in Sydney

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meaningful work,organization that helps people to heal from cancer

Cons

Kids that are suffering from cancer but this hospital is gift to them

Continue reading

3. "Awesome place to work!"

• Diversity & Inclusion

Pros

Awesome workplace environment. Leadership does a great job showing their appreciation for every employee.

Cons

No cons working at St. Jude

January 26, 2021Human Resources

This is all great to read! Thank you for your review and your service to the patients of St. Jude!

4. "ICU nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN in Southaven, MS

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

They care about the employees.

Cons

They do not think about the night or weekend shifts when providing extras.

January 25, 2021Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We hate that you have felt left out of giveaways and events owing to your work in the evenings and on the weekends. Giveaways may be collected by your supervisor or coworkers to give to you at a later date. Some events that require volunteers, like our socially distant Ice Cream Social, are harder to pull off in the evenings. We encourage employee ideas, however, and would love to hear suggestions on how we can improve. Please contact the Liaison Office if you have thoughts on how we can improve outreach and gratitude shown to our night and weekend nursing staff. We value the work that you do and do not want you to feel left out of anything.

5. "Top rate support"

Current Employee - Lab Director in Memphis, TN
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Facilities and research support are fantastic

Cons

I do not agree with all top management priorities but so what.

January 21, 2021Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the honest feedback. We are always looking for employee ideas for each year's Blue Sky initiatives, which give all of our employees the opportunity to suggest an idea for our executive leadership to prioritize. We're hoping you will suggest some ideas. If you need to speak with someone about an issue within your lab, please contact Employee Relations.

6. "Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer I

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work-life balance and good work culture

Cons

Not anything that I could think of

January 19, 2021Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you're enjoying a work-life balance here. We believe that it's vital to enjoy time off so that while here, you can do your best work. Thank you for being part of our mission.

7. "current job"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Great benefits such as health insurance and retirement plan

Cons

The city is very rural and might be boring to live a non-scientific life

January 19, 2021Human Resources

Thanks for leaving a review! We'd like to think that we take good care of our postdoctoral fellows, so it's great to see that you value the health insurance and retirement plans. While Memphis is a smaller metropolitan area than its coastal counterparts, it's still a large city with many amenities, most notably a thriving music and restaurant scene, quick access to outdoor activities, and a wide array of festivals year-round. While the pandemic has put a temporary halt to much of what makes Memphis a cultural landmark, there's still plenty to do outside of the lab. If you're having trouble finding activities, please email your postdoc recruiter and ask to be put in touch with Talent Acquisition within Human Resources. They'll help you out.

8. "Great for academia"

Former Employee - Research Lab Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

World class facilities and resources

Cons

Academic institution with the same issues that all academic institutions have.

January 19, 2021Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. We hope that your time at St. Jude prepared you for a lifetime of great success in your field. Thank you for your time here!

9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Clinic Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Benefits are good and salary is good.

Cons

Parking, outdated infrastructure, and lack of administrative expertise from medical directors.

January 25, 2021Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience at St. Jude. With over 1,000 employees regularly working from home, parking woes have substantially subsided, though the parking garage closest to the clinical areas is likely still full most days. Please consider using Parking Garage 3 which is only about one-third occupied most days. We hope that you'll feel comfortable talking to Employee Relations who might be able to offer some insight into your role and help you with some of your grievances. We hope that maybe we can work with you to find some solutions and help you continue to do your great work.

10. "It is a good environment to work in"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New Delhi

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

It is a good environment to work in

Cons

The pay is not very good

January 21, 2021Human Resources

Hello! We do not have any employees in New Delhi, so perhaps this was intended for another organization with a similar name. Nevertheless, we appreciate that you took the time to leave a review.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 766 English Reviews