Stanley Black & Decker Senior Engineer Reviews

2.5
Stanley Black & Decker President and CEO James M. Loree
James M. Loree
  1. COVID-19

"Interesting Place but Rotten Culture"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Electronics Engineer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced Always wanting to innovate and try new things (engineer's dream) Cool products and good discounts

Cons

Culture is GOD AWFUL: 1. Upper management creates a culture of selfishness mostly by doing mass layoffs at the first sign of trouble (but keeping their bonus checks ;) ). During the COVID 19 crisis, the company's response was to cut everyone's pay by 80% and furlough a bunch of people but they still paid $106M in dividends to shareholders..These along with other various selfish acts contribute to the trickle down in bad culture: Hiring freezes, merit pay increases are the norm (even in the good times :) so probably 70% of the time)... so get used to doing more work for less pay. 2. This trickles down to middle management in that they: a. Constantly try to poach talent from one another (thanks to the above hiring freezes) b. Sabotage one another in various ways. I have been aghast at the blatant open animosity I've seen between middle managers at round-table project reviews. Subterfuge is the norm at this level. c. Steal credit for project success from subordinates. 3. Trickle down continues: The rank and file is completely demotivated and in some cases anti-motivated. Hardly anyone puts in a full day of work. People are visibly disgruntled and surly. As a result, middle managers tend to micro-manage the rank and file so even if you are a motivated person with integrity at this level, you will be watched like a hawk until you lose your mind. No accountability at this level leads to shifting of responsibility and people trying to get others to do their work for them. The result is the high achievers end up doing everything and get burned out b/c of this and b/c of the point 2c above (why do any work if you don't get the credit??). Fun anecdote on this topic: someone was actually complaining to HR that they'd rather they be furloughed (at 60% pay but no work) vs switch to 80% pay with Fridays off. That's the mentality of a terrible culture!!!

Continue reading

"Its a brand.. But not a good worK culture in Bangalore"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Bangalore
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros: 1. In some segments there is lot of good work. 2. New learning things you are designing are getting into the market which makes you feel better personally. 3. TAX saving options are better here as i have ever seen in my past companies.

Cons

1. Engineers just doing CAD work in most of teams( I was one of them). 2. For engineers there is no scope of big picture on product development side. 3. Some people don’t follow ethics in meetings. And even if someone complains against that person no one will be there to listen. 4. No scope of site visit to understand the product. Even the counter part are not bother to share information(images/test setups etc) about any testing going on at their end(which was designed by us). 5. HR is Lame. They are only focussing on 9hrs of office hours of engineering teams. 6. No as such structure/agenda for career development/growth of employee. 7. Some people are coming only 7 days in a month. Due to that everyone has to suffer. 8. You will not get appreciated(if you are doing very good job) never- never. Management think(i believe) if we appreciate then employee may ask for hike.

"More Transparency"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time

Pros

The team is always engaging and you are constantly working on cutting edge projects

Cons

There always seems to be a bit of "cloak & dagger" especially when they are experiencing the yearly layoffs. More transparency on where you stand and possible outcomes rather than blindsiding individuals.

4. "15 years of experience in Embedded firmware development with 8 years of experience in Project Management"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to work, work & family life balance is good, flexible working hours, no boundaries to work

Cons

Low level technology, compensation is less compared to market

5. "Great company to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Electro-mechanical Engineer

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Career development opportunities are not always available

6. "Work life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Pune

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company with responsible positions for work life balance

Cons

Salary is highly dependent on the sales of the company. Management needs to invest on R&D instead of looking for money always

"Terrible place to work."

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Southington, CT

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent Benefits, tool discounts. Some great people when they first start working there.

Cons

The morale at this Connecticut site was terrible. HR was no help and out of touch with reality. You could never do enough even though you would work around the clock and get to travel on personal time that wouldn't be made up and much more. Money was all that matters, and yet so much of it was spent inappropriately with almost no controls or accountability. No policy's existed and the rules and expectations changed everyday. Executive leadership don't even live in CT and rarely visited. Not a place for development or career growth for true experienced professionals or new graduates.

"Sr. Packaging Engineer"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Packaging Engineer in Towson, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great product that you can stand behind and be proud to own.

Cons

Stanley brought in their "Take you out back and shoot you in the head when we don't need you anymore" employment practices. When it was Black & Decker, you could trust the management teams. Not anymore. Beware.

"Sr. Engineer"

4.0
    Senior Design Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker for more than a year

Pros

Innovation, Flexibility and good work life balance. Personal laptop and mobile.

Cons

No proper hierarchy in any roles. No clear vision of growth

Continue reading

"Innovation teams are a fulfilling place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for less than a year

Pros

This review is only relating to the SBD Innovation Teams. I have no experience with the greater organization. The SBD Innovation Teams are designed to run like Start-ups inside of a corporate umbrella. Coming from the start-up world and with a new family, I was looking for a dynamic, fast environment, but also something that was a little more secure. When a recruiter pitched me on the SBD Innovation Teams, I called bull, but I decided to engage in a discussion at least. In the end I did more than talk, I jumped in with both feet. Best career decision I have ever made. - Engaging Work Environment: Teams identify projects they feel bring value and begin to explore. Decisions are made from the bottom up. - Purposeful Work: “Will this project positively change the lives of 100 million people?” is a criterion we use for evaluating new projects. - Room for Personal Growth: Individual growth and exploration is valued.

Cons

You are protected under a corporate umbrella. Win or lose, you probably still have a job. For that insurance, you give up the opportunity for the big payout in the end.

Found 18 reviews