Stanley Black & Decker Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 10 Apr 2020

3.3
Stanley Black & Decker President and CEO James M. Loree
James M. Loree
Pros
Cons
  • "No real reward for hard work while overworking employees impacting their work life balance(in 57 reviews)

• "False Promises: Promises are never kept once you get hired because of constant changes in upper management(in 38 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Not a great place to work"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Melbourne

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being a global US business provide opportunity to learn advanced systems.

Cons

Most of the people get paid low wages unless you are a 'yes man' or management favourite. HR (one man show) is totally corrupt and full of lies who just carry out orders from management. Only same people get promoted every year No work life balance Too much politics Management just want to hit numbers at any cost to get their bonus. Good people keep leaving and what remain is 'management pets' or their slaves. If they don't like you they will do everything to fire you. Many people have sued the company over their redundancies and have won as well.

Continue reading

"Classic Big Company Culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, make good products that are easy to sell

Cons

Not a great work life balance, managers micro manage reps that are remote.

"No appreciation or loyalty"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Honor system with no pressure to come into the office for work. Very flexible with schedules and vacation

Cons

No real reward for hard work while overworking employees impacting their work life balance. Nepotism at its finest. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve worked here or how hard, they only shift existing managers around or bring in management from the outside even if someone on the inside is more qualified. If you are on the inside you have to be in their “circle” to be considered for management regardless of work ethics. Hard work is overshadowed by your own manager’s performance or the drama and politics going on behind the scenes that may not involve you, but will impact your career. Opportunities to learn new things, but no opportunity to move up. No loyalty to employees. Leadership continually changes their vision and is out of touch with employees who are in it day in and day out and who understand the processes more closely.

4. "Do Not Plan on Innovating"

4.0
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, company not going anywhere.

Cons

Do not plan on innovating. Culture wants it, management can't afford the risk.

5. "You either make it here or you don't.."

Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker for more than a year

Pros

flexibility with work life balance, constant interaction with some of the coolest and smartest people in the industry & there is an international presence.

Cons

leadership is forever changing--CONSTANT restructuring. people fear for the jobs because there are waves of lay offs every 6-8 months. little true career progression/mapping outside of the engineering or supply chain groups and most senior level managers/directors are often looking for a carbon copy of themselves for half the salary which makes recruitment very difficult in the grand scheme of things.

Continue reading

"Challenging environment that will force you to grow with little to no work/life balance"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Towson, MD

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging Sink or Swim Environment- forces you to grow Recognizable Employer Name Some Great Mentors- there are a few great mentors within the team. You just have to find them and then hope they have time to give you.

Cons

Click-ish Environment Where Favoritism Is Clear - in some of the business units Dog Eat Dog Environment You Can Be Left Feeling Like A Number - not a person Little to No Work/Life Balance If you know what you are getting into and are capable of dedicating all of your time to your career, then this is the place for you. You will learn countless things due to the sheer speed at which the organization moves at. My experience with SBD is one that I wouldn't trade for anything, BUT also one I would NEVER DO AGAIN!

7. "Great Job"

5.0
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time

Pros

work life balance, great culture

Cons

the work could be tedious

"HR"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist Assistant in London, England

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good environment Work life balance

Cons

No benefits No bonus No salary reviews

"Was a great role -- but this company doing digital is unrealistic"

Former Employee - Digital Strategist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good brand & products Great benefits Good people (in our office) Work/life balance & vacation time Fun, challenging work This was one of the best jobs I've ever had -- we were leading an internal digital revolution and working on cutting-edge technologies (AI, IoT, etc). Products were very real, needs and use cases were very well defined, etc, and it was clear the impact that we could have had. ("Could" being the catch -- see below)

Cons

Poor leadership from CEO Vicious politics at executive level Knee-jerk leadership decisions & reactions to short-term challenges Lots of B/C grade people in senior roles Our entire team in Atlanta got let go after our executive leadership lost some internal political knife fight. Although digital transformation had been a key initiative of the CEO, as soon as there was any budget pressure at all on the corporation, "transformation" and any long-term thought or planning got replaced by maintaining the company's profit margin and we all got kicked to the curb. Had the team been given support, resources and time, we could have done amazing things. As it is, SBD is now just waiting for someone to come and disrupt their core businesses.

Continue reading
  10. "Fast Paced but Fair with Plenty of Room for Growth"

5.0
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Southington, CT

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for advancement within the organization. Those who work hard are eventually rewarded. World-class organization with a strong culture of acceptance, integrity and promoting from within.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a struggle. Acquisitive growth has led to resource constraints that can mean long hours in order to keep projects on schedule. Work hours are flexible to help accommodate this, but there will be projects that entail regularly working outside of normal business hours.

Found 103 reviews