State Street "work from home" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

State Street Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated 24 Jun 2019

Found 3971 reviews

State Street CEO Ronald O’Hanley
Ronald O’Hanley
Cons

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews

"State Street in Sydney"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at State Street full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible work arrangement options like work from home, job sharing, compressed work week are available to staff, depending on the work nature.

Cons

A lot of operations work has moved to offshore locations like India and China, Lower pay compared to the market, senior management politics.

Advice to Management

Please reward high performing staff who are loyal to the company and give them a salary adjustment to meet the market salary level.

State Street2017-01-10

"Good people, Under-resourced"

Current Employee - Analyst in Sydney

I have been working at State Street full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Although poor hours they are flexible with when you come and go - Not micro managed - Work from home option - Good people

Cons

- Many operational roles off-shored, dealing with the consequences of this onshore provides constant headaches - Under resourced, many employees work ridiculous hours with no reward for doing so - Staff turnover high so no consistency - Old systems - Implementing change is like trying to turn around an oil tanker

Advice to Management

Remove the offshore model, it doesn't work and doesn't save money in the long run. Increase head count, if employees are continuously working 12 hour days there is a fundamental issue.

State Street2015-06-24
  3. "Cares about employee development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at State Street

Pros

State Street as a company encourages growth and development. While working for State Street (in relatviely junior roles) they have taken me from working in London, to the headquarters in Boston and now to Sydney (my original home). I now have a regional role in a field completely different from what I started my career in and this is all down to the development opportunities I have been offered. My manager is supportive...

Cons

As it is a global company, and as I work on global initiatives, there can be days with long hours, especially when dealing with global conference calls. Unfortunately the Asia time zone always seems to come out worst! Mindsets can be very Boston-centric at times with many initiatives having a strong US bias. Turnover can be a bit of a struggle in Asia, having a knock on effect - the worse it gets, the harder it is...

Advice to Management

Spend more time being visual to employees. Let them see you walking the floor every now and then.

State Street2008-07-03
  4. "Good job out of college"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst

I have been working at State Street full-time

Pros

Work from home, good benifits

Cons

can be boring at times

State Street2019-05-10
    • "could be better"

I worked at State Street full-time

Pros

benefits, work from home, training, courses

Cons

overtime, shortstaffed and not planned to hire someone

State Street2019-05-09

"Difficult place to work"

Former Employee - Officer in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible on work from home

Cons

Constantly changing departments physical location & sending jobs offshore

Advice to Management

Too many layers of management & not enough staff to do daily work

State Street2019-05-02

"Meh"

Current Employee - Private Equity Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at State Street full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is unheard of amazing. Working from home is encouraged and PTO is almost 30 days. Super flexible and relaxed work environment. Super casual dress everyday. Managers can be amazing but depends on your team. Work load is pretty steady and doesn’t require crazy hours. No email on phones which was honestly my favorite part. When you leave work, you are really off.

Cons

Salary is absolute trash and no matter how hard you work upper management doesn’t do anything to throw you a bone. High ranking management holds down growth with an iron fist and wipes out any and all paths to promotion and raises. Working from home is great but work from home can’t pay my rent.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth and what is even close to market. It’s impossible to keep teams functioning properly when turnover is happening once a month. Hard to feel motivated when you feel railroaded and taken advantage of by your own company.

State Street2019-04-20
      • "Good place to START your career"

Former Employee - Fund Administrator - Associate II in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good place to start your career. They offer tuition reimbursement. - 6% match on 401K and other good benefits. - Work from Home arrangements.

Cons

- Little to no room for career advancement. - Very low pay. - Could be in for long hours sometimes.

Advice to Management

I would suggest showing the onshore employees that you value them. Offer them a chance to grow in their roles/within the company. It's a good place to start your career (special emphasis on start in my headline), but not necessarily a good place to continue your career.

State Street2019-04-26
      • "Good and smart people. New direction needed."

Former Employee - Managing Director in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very collegial working place. Lots of smart people without a lot of egos. Heavy focus on schedule flexibility (work-from-home, flex time, etc.).

Cons

Core business (and profitability of it) has deteriorated over the years, resulting in notable focus on cost reduction (i.e. offshoring a large number of jobs to "low cost locations").

Advice to Management

New CEO needs time and opportunity to implement his strategy for the future. Only three months into the job is too early to assess.

State Street2019-04-08

"Day to day varies wildly, overall dreadful due to outlook"

Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at State Street full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some teams are SUPER knowledgeable. I’m really lucky to be able to be on one. Also, very flexible work life balance (work from home up to three days a week).

Cons

Underpaid, very poor healthcare. And even though this is supposed to be an American Bank who accepted American Bail Out Dollars, the strategy plan is to move over 80% of teams offshore (to China, India, and Poland). Also the balance sheet is an overall mess - whoever okayed the Charles River acquisition was a moron. GROSSLY overpaid.

Advice to Management

Pay your talent !!!! In the time I’ve been here I’ve watched at least one staff level associate leave per month, because they were able to find more money elsewhere. Only competitive pay is going to keep talent on board and then maybe the company would actually get somewhere if staff stayed for longer than a year.

State Street2019-04-05